Silent Majority, vote!

Archived discussion from Toril-2.

Are you happy with all the area changes implemented?

Yes
25
57%
No
19
43%
 
Total votes: 44
Llaaldara
Sojourner
Posts: 998
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Dobluth Kyor

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:16 pm

I am happy to disappoint you. :)
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:30 pm

Digov, any reply to what I had said, since I addressed you?
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:36 pm

Oh, and lest there be any confusion, my prior statement about the forgers is not to imply that I have anything against the accomplishments of the RP-Quest sphere.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'



Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
digov
Sojourner
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:01 am

Postby digov » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

Lahgen wrote:Digov, any reply to what I had said, since I addressed you?



Its not really even worth gracing that with a reply in truth. Think about what you're saying dude. But since you asked.......

You're bitching at people who freely donate their time with no payback for doing so for not giving enough of their time? Are you kidding me?

C'mon.
Lahgen
Sojourner
Posts: 542
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:58 am

Postby Lahgen » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:37 pm

I only meant to point out that there might be something to what Dalar is saying about having imms that are more active on the mud. As for me, I am more or less content with things as they are now.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'



Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
sotana
Sojourner
Posts: 229
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:11 am

Postby sotana » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:19 pm

Admittedly I am fairly new to mudding and have no memories of the good ol' days or the way any previous staff chose to run Toril but I guess I am wondering how rude comments directed at people who are giving their time for free to create and run a free game are supposed to be somehow motivating to them (and if you followed that convoluted sentence to the end, kudos). If my future salary were dependant on keeping you happy, your angry feedback might kick me in the butt and cause me to change SOMEthing fast so I could get paid. But if I were giving away my time to create your fun, many of these posts would just make me quit. Maybe that is the desired outcome in which case, your methods are right on track. But if you are truly wanting some change of coding etc, the whole vinegar/honey argument seems pretty moot since it's hard to imagine that anyone who is already doing us a favor in donating their skills, talents, etc will respond favorably to vinegar. Would you??

What I've seen in many of the posts on the BBS is venting, nothing more. Changes you wanted to see that haven’t occurred, changes that have occurred that you haven’t liked, good suggestions you might have which have not been implemented, imms not choosing to do things the way you, with whatever expertise you might or might not have, would do them. Venting has its place but why expect that 'venting' in such an abusive manner is going to affect change when the imms recieve absolutely no compensation for putting up with crap? While it is not at all unreasonable to see things that could be changed or areas that could be improved and expect your feedback to have an impact, at least call some of this ‘feedback’ what it is and acknowledge that the kind of pointed, abusive venting that has been cropping up is hardly a motivation for change to imms who receive no compensation for putting up with it.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:29 pm

Honey: Cyric, I believe you are misinformed, because there is no silent majority. There are many people who dislike the way you are handling the area sphere, but they also choose to be silent about it.

Vinegar: Poll
Nekelet
Sojourner
Posts: 413
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:54 pm

Postby Nekelet » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:37 pm

Honey: Dartan, I disagree with your interpretation, your methods, and your tone.

Vinegar: Dartan, you are being an ass, and I wish you'd just STFU before even more staff gets fed up and bails.
Branthur
Sojourner
Posts: 196
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 6:01 am
Location: Thief River Falls, MN

Postby Branthur » Thu Aug 25, 2005 11:42 pm

Nevermind that it's a loaded question.
kiryan
Sojourner
Posts: 7275
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 5:01 am
Location: Los Angeles, CA and Flagstaff, AZ
Contact:

Postby kiryan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:47 am

god that must be the first llaaldara post that i actually respected. i disagree with the silent protest, but agree that if you don't like playing here then just move on.

----

sotana honey doesn't work, vinegar doesn't work. how long can you find something good to say about something when there is very little good to say? eventually you run out of honey but you can buy vinegar for 80 cents a gallon.

---

now its sad to see people asking for forgers to step down, but I can see where they are coming from based on the direction the mud has gone and the lack of progress in key areas even if i don't totally agree.

I happen to like all the forgers and would seriously question anyone who would say that we've ever had better forgers, but if the forgers don't have the time to make toril a successful mud then they should consider changing something. whether thats passing the reigns and stepping down, or "hiring" more help, or giving freer reigns to underlings with more time and enthusiasm or what not... some deliberate action needs to be taken to change our present course. hopefully this doesnt mean we have to have a completely split from our tradition, but something has got to change.

Yes real life is a bitch, yes no one here gets paid, however should the mud suffer because of the real lives of key immortals? When the mud suffers, don't all of the players suffer?

If the reason the mud is suffering is out of lack of help within the different spheres.... where are the BBS posts asking for volunteers to code, build areas, run RP sessions?

If the mud is suffering from lack of direction at the top because of RL issues, where is the delegation until your RL can recover?

If the mud is suffering because immortals don't have any idea what they are doing, what are we doing to improve their knowledge? Are we consulting people like Klandan, Pava, Dartan, Lilithelle, Gura? Are we reading the forums and educating ourselves or just getting pissed off?

It seems every couple a weeks a god has to remind us that they don't get paid to put up with our shit. Just because you became a god means we have to give you some special status? Becoming a god don't mean shit in my book. Do something, then you can talk to me about reducing the amount of static I throw your way.

---

p.s. glad to see shev, shar, and cyric lately. Appreciative of all that each of you has contributed in the past. Tell us what you need if anything and maybe we can help?
Ashiwi
Sojourner
Posts: 4161
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:50 am

All long-time players who are willing to foot the expense of the mud and deal with everything that goes along with it, please step forward.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
grundar
Sojourner
Posts: 209
Joined: Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:03 am
Location: vt inn
Contact:

*yawn*

Postby grundar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:53 am

wow... this post has been a complete waste of my time at only 2 people announcing they quit..

now if only there were more... go dalar!
digov
Sojourner
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:01 am

Postby digov » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:54 am

Dalar wrote:Honey: Cyric, I believe you are misinformed, because there is no silent majority. There are many people who dislike the way you are handling the area sphere, but they also choose to be silent about it.

Vinegar: Poll


Image
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Postby Kifle » Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:56 am

I think Shev has been taken over by an AIM bot. I'm just waiting for the A/S/L...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner
Posts: 1499
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Virginia Beach
Contact:

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:09 am

Kifle wrote:I think Shev has been taken over by an AIM bot. I'm just waiting for the A/S/L...


You know you enjoy it.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Kifle
Sojourner
Posts: 3830
Joined: Wed Jan 30, 2002 6:01 am
Location: Huntington, IN USA
Contact:

Postby Kifle » Fri Aug 26, 2005 2:20 am

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:
Kifle wrote:I think Shev has been taken over by an AIM bot. I'm just waiting for the A/S/L...


You know you enjoy it.


The fact that I'm turned is secondary to my curiosity of who is really behind the curtain.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Salen
Sojourner
Posts: 771
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2001 5:01 am

Postby Salen » Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:49 am

I'm gonna have to agree that the RP sphere is indeed nothing.
emote Rescuepractice
Sarell
Sojourner
Posts: 1681
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2001 6:01 am
Location: brisbane, australia

Postby Sarell » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:59 am

First up. Just like to post another post bitching about people bitching about bitching. :)

I think Dartan and Digov are both right.

Dartan is right, because because don't be mistaken, he is always right, knows more about smiting here than pretty much anyone, and has this game down to a formula that is quite simple when you respect how damn good he is at math!

Digov is right, because in my experience, people absolutely love this game 100% until they read the BBS, join a guild, or get otherwise involved in the politics.

The game, as it stands in spite of any political concern, is better than any other computer game ever. You need to get out and smite more things, unless you are Dartan, you havn't beaten it yet, so keep playing mightily :P

Lahghen, that was amazing that you could take up my whole screen without actually saying anything at all :P
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Xolan
Sojourner
Posts: 69
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2002 6:01 am
Contact:

Postby Xolan » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:23 am

You are all acting like a buncha fuckholes.

Homeland may have had its problems, but never the hoo-hah you guys drum through.

Get a life.

*holds his lip*
To quack or not to quack...

Cah GCC: 'children are fun to piss off, because they can't do anything about it, until they are old enough to hold a gun'
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:41 am

Hi.

I'm not "stepping down" or "handing the MUD over" anytime in the forseeable future, so you might as well drop this discussion.

If you're unhappy at the pace of development when I have to go away for a few months I don't blame you...I would be too. But that hardly means that I'm ready to throw in the towel - I've been at this for about a decade now, after all. You'll just have to be patient, and if you can't, well, I don't know what to tell you.

Bitch, whine, complain, nag, accuse all you want. The MUD will continue to move forward on its own schedule, oblivious to yours.

After all, you get what you pay for.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
teflor the ranger
Sojourner
Posts: 3923
Joined: Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:01 am
Location: Waterdeep

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:11 am

Certainly, it seems at this point the best thing the imms here can do is to read this thread over seriously, to determine just what the players are unhappy about...

then tell them all that they don't care and to $@#! off.

You all are ignorant.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:01 pm

I'm not sure how you run your sphere, but why can't you assign your tasks to a more active coder when you go away? Or have someone do it and approve it like a manager would? Keep in mind this thread was to show Cyric that he's dellusional.
digov
Sojourner
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:01 am

Postby digov » Fri Aug 26, 2005 5:36 pm

Dalar wrote:I'm not sure how you run your sphere, but why can't you assign your tasks to a more active coder when you go away? Or have someone do it and approve it like a manager would? Keep in mind this thread was to show Cyric that he's dellusional.


Go away. Nobody likes you.
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:21 pm

digov wrote:
Dalar wrote:I'm not sure how you run your sphere, but why can't you assign your tasks to a more active coder when you go away? Or have someone do it and approve it like a manager would? Keep in mind this thread was to show Cyric that he's dellusional.


Go away. Nobody likes you.


Funny, because when I come back I get a hey what's up how's it going. When you come back, you get a "who's Digov?" Yea, OK. You were a failure as a god and as a BBS poster. Notice how nobody cares about your posts? Because they have no content, no meaning, and you're basically nothing.
Corth
Sojourner
Posts: 6002
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2001 6:01 am
Location: NY, USA

Postby Corth » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:23 pm

To borrow a Teflorism...

Digov, you are ignorant.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
digov
Sojourner
Posts: 38
Joined: Thu Sep 19, 2002 5:01 am

Postby digov » Fri Aug 26, 2005 6:33 pm

Dalar wrote:
Funny, because when I come back I get a hey what's up how's it going. When you come back, you get a "who's Digov?" Yea, OK. You were a failure as a god and as a BBS poster. Notice how nobody cares about your posts? Because they have no content, no meaning, and you're basically nothing.


Keep telling yourself that tough guy.

Here is the thing. Nobody wants to listen to your crap. It serves no purpose. You've gotten your answer from staff and from other players a million times, this go around and in the past.

LISTEN. I know its difficult to hear over the buzzing of your own self-righteous babble but try for a minute okay....

LEAVE. GO AWAY. GET LOST. DON'T COME BACK.

You've been a cancer on this game for years. You've done nothing but whine and complain for YEARS. You're tired crap and negativity detract from everyone elses enjoyment of the game.

Everyone knows. You hate toril. You hate the current administration, coders and areas guys. They do nothing right, they could do everything better, blah blah blah blah.

We understand that. We don't give a damn. The game as Shev said will move at its own pace no matter how much you complain. In order words, you're wasting your time as well as everyone elses.

Some of us enjoy the game the way it is. Others tolerate the things they don't like cause there is more that they do like. Understand that. Accept it. Get over it.

Go play WoW...or read a book or jump off a bridge. But get lost.

(Oh and take Corth with you :))
Dalar
Sojourner
Posts: 4905
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2001 6:01 am

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:51 pm

Digov, you're ignorant. If you have the reading comprehension of Amolol don't bother talking. The whole point of this thread is clearly defined in the original post after one edit. It was to show Cyric that there is no silent majority happy with the changes his sphere does and people wouldn't have voted no if Cyric was correct.

Digov, you speak like you are well-liked and you know everyone's opinion. You don't. You're a nobody. And if you haven't realized it, my "crap" is just a repetition of what many high level players feel. They know the BBS is worthless because the gods don't bother with anything on it. Maybe Shar will attempt something in the near future, and if her intent actually follows through this time around, maybe something will get done.
User avatar
Shevarash
FORGER CODER
Posts: 2944
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2000 6:01 am

Postby Shevarash » Fri Aug 26, 2005 7:58 pm

Thats enough, thanks.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “General Discussion Archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests