New Orleans

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
rylan
Sojourner

New Orleans

Postby rylan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:50 am

Anyone heard from those who live in the New Orleans are after the hurricane? The city is basically destroyed....
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:55 am

Poor Rokub :(
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:00 am

still nothing from rokub or nazma .. lemme find baikalisan's number .. she talks to rokub a lot .. and i have nazmas number
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:11 pm

Anyone heard from Fayren at all?

Lil
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:23 pm

Hrm removed, not so funny.

Check in D.
Last edited by Verarb on Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Wed Aug 31, 2005 1:29 pm

joking.

hope you all ok.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:50 pm

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:08 pm

It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:02 pm

Maybe now the US government will start to take global warming and its responsibilities seriously.
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:05 pm

I hope you guys are ok. If anyone has any updates please let us know
Azuth OOC: 'and a pic of Slavan's clutch: priceless'
Malar OOC: '<worn on head> Slavan's black lacy thong, with a huge racing stripe in it'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: New Orleans

Postby Xisiqomelir » Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:17 am

I just heard from a friend! (Non-MUDder) Timing was excellent as I'd been worried since yesterday.

Here's hoping all our MUDder NOLA peeps are okay.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:11 am

Edit. After seeing most recent reports, decided that the funny Street Fighter (Zhangief) vs. LA wasn't funny.

Anybody that saw it and was offended, I am sorry. Had not realized the damage until I really started checking. :(
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:57 am

Verarb wrote:I think i saw rokub and Dornax looting a walmart on msnbc.

Heh, couldn't help but chuckle at that one Vman. Nasty.

Eshacin wrote:Maybe now the US government will start to take global warming and its responsibilities seriously.

Yes. Maybe those in power globally will start to wake up.

Some real bad situations over there, sad to see :(

Didn't realize New Orleans was below sea level!
You'd think the govt would have used taxpayer's money to build heavy seawall-type infrastructure to protect most of it somehow.

I'm also surprised, with the level of technology and information sharing we have these days, that severe weather advance warnings weren't accurate and/or early enough and folks didnt pack up what they could and drive upstate before it hit.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Sep 02, 2005 12:04 pm

the levees broke, ssar

cant really protect from everything now can we? nature is too destuctive, too BIG

like the biggest dragon toril has and them some ...

people DID evacuate ... millions of people left their home .. thousands COULNT or wouldnt

some people HAVE to *protect* whats theirs in their own minds .. some shop owners in the french quarter stayed .. hell the violence of the looters have cause a cease in trying to find survivors cause looters are shooting other looters

and basically if people want to stay bad enough they will

noone could predict the winds would shuffle at landfall either, can only guess what will happen, and they didnt expoect that

kind of like guessing where the tsunamis would hit, you cant
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:40 pm

c 'control weather' dry

There. Now it's settled.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:59 pm

Ambar wrote:still nothing from rokub or nazma .. lemme find baikalisan's number .. she talks to rokub a lot .. and i have nazmas number

Any word from Nazma yet? Or any of these folks for that matter...
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:02 pm

Also if you've got some cash to spare laying around...

http://writerscafe.net/donations.html#15k

I cleared out my PayPal account donating to this. It goes directly to Americare, which has very low administrative costs compared to the Red Cross.

Also if you live near a Lowes Home Improvement store, any donations you make there will be matched by Lowes.

Despite all of the asshats looting and being violent, there are people that need help, especially the kids.
Vaprak, the Destroyer

-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:12 pm

Eshacin wrote:Maybe now the US government will start to take global warming and its responsibilities seriously.

Funny how global warming is a myth and not recognized by any major scientific group or professional organization.

Funny how New Orleans was under sea level to begin with.

Funny how global ice caps are actually thickening.

Funny how many record low temperatures are from the last 20 years.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:45 pm

And I suppose the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane that hit the Florida Keys was a result of global warming as well.

It is demeaning to the people who are suffering in New Orleans right now to make such unwarranted speculation. I'm not a scientist or an expert on global warming. If indeed there is such a thing, which I do not know for sure one way or the other, there is still no basis to conclude that there is a causal relationship between global warming and this hurricane. There have been major hurricanes hitting that part of the world for millions of years, and there will continue to be such hurricanes.

My impression of that remark is that its just more america baiting sparked mostly by jealousy.

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Areandon
Sojourner

Postby Areandon » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:14 pm

Help is also under way from abroad. We (the Dutch ) have sent a frigate with a full contigent of marines, rescue boats, food and shelters, that was in the area to help, and a couple of teams of experts to help fix the levees, and any other help the US government asks for.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:23 pm

Areandon wrote:Help is also under way from abroad. We (the Dutch ) have sent a frigate with a full contigent of marines, rescue boats, food and shelters, that was in the area to help, and a couple of teams of experts to help fix the levees, and any other help the US government asks for.

"If you ain't Dutch, you ain't Mutch!" ;)
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:58 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:

Funny how global warming is a myth and not recognized by any major scientific group or professional organization.

Inform yourself. You're wrong.
Try this article as a starting point:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 46,00.html

teflor the ranger wrote:Funny how New Orleans was under sea level to begin with.

Completely irrelevant

teflor the ranger wrote:Funny how global ice caps are actually thickening.

Ice caps are melting, permafrost in Alaska is thawing, permafrost in Siberia is thawing. Wrong again.

teflor the ranger wrote:Funny how many record low temperatures are from the last 20 years.

Global warming does not mean everywhere is hotter, it does mean more, and more extreme, weather extremes.

Are you a creationist too?
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:06 pm

Corth wrote:My impression of that remark is that its just more america baiting sparked mostly by jealousy.
Corth

No, it's sparked by America's narrow-minded pursuit of short term self-interest and disregard for the wider results of its actions.

However, at the time I made the post I didn't realise the extent of the disaster and wouldn't have done it if I had, given scope for misunderstanding which you and Teflor have so clearly demonstrated.

I sympathise with all the victims.
Wuva
Sojourner

Postby Wuva » Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:29 pm

Has anyone got info on Raxar..If you know anything or you see this Raxar plz let us know your ok.

It breaks my heart to see the devestation that has happened and is still happening.

I truly hope all our mudders/non mudders and families are well.

Faye
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:20 pm

Eshacin wrote:Inform yourself. You're wrong.
Try this article as a starting point:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/comment/story ... 46,00.html

Eshacin, you need to educate yourself.

Read "The Skeptical Environmentalist" by Bjorn Lomborg. Since you seem so fond of British media sources, I've quoted a few regarding the book for you.

"probably the most important book on the environment ever written."
The Daily Telegraph, 8/27/2001

"This is one of the most valuable books on public policy - not merely on environmental policy - to have been written for the intelligent general reader in the past ten years. ... The Skeptical Environmentalist is a triumph."
The Economist, 9/6/2001

All I can say is, read the book before you open your mouth.

Eshacin wrote:Ice caps are melting, permafrost in Alaska is thawing, permafrost in Siberia is thawing. Wrong again.

I am not impressed. Parts of the permafrost in Alaska and Siberia are thawing. Other parts are actually deepening and hardening.

And, if the ice caps are melting, where are the rising average sea levels? That's right. On average, it's not rising. (You know, the Marianas Trench is SOOO much deeper than it used to be.) The ice caps are actually thickening, which is causing them to draw inwards.

Wrong again is you.

Eshacin wrote:Global warming does not mean everywhere is hotter, it does mean more, and more extreme, weather extremes.

Sorry, Eshacin, but you're wrong. Global warming (even in the context you presented it in) is the theory that excessive greenhouse gasses are responsible for the rise in global temperatures.

Global temperatures HAVE risen. But prove that it's the fault of CO2 and other greenhouse gases, and you_will_make_millions_and_be_famous_forever. Like Neil Bohr, the most aptly named chemist in all history.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:30 pm

Eshacin:

So was the 1935 Labor Day hurricane, which was more powerful than this one, also the result of global warming?

Corth
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:51 pm

Corth wrote:And I suppose the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane that hit the Florida Keys was a result of global warming as well.

It is demeaning to the people who are suffering in New Orleans right now to make such unwarranted speculation. I'm not a scientist or an expert on global warming. If indeed there is such a thing, which I do not know for sure one way or the other, there is still no basis to conclude that there is a causal relationship between global warming and this hurricane. There have been major hurricanes hitting that part of the world for millions of years, and there will continue to be such hurricanes.

My impression of that remark is that its just more america baiting sparked mostly by jealousy.

Corth

Agree...

Also, any word on old NO players? I only know of Dornax living down there, so any word from anybody would be appreciated.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Elscint
Sojourner

Postby Elscint » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:59 pm

Hello, not that I play anymore but I am also very concerned about those mudders from New Orleans. I was part of the very first group to go spend a week with Peter (Nazma/Pontle) and Maria (Fayren/Altheria) for Mardi Gras. Anyhow I do know that Dornax/Jurdex is from that area and I've also heard that in my time away Bob/Mikar has moved to that area. There were others but I do not remember everyone. I hope everyone in that area is alright if you do get word one way or another I for one would appreciate a pm since I cannot always check back on the board.

Luke
Elscint/Kedle/Etc..
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:05 am

teflor the ranger wrote:

Funny how you haven't seen this.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/glo ... ng.html#Q3

You might note that it's the NOAA

Funny how you missed this too... NOAA again

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/icefree/NavyArcticPanel.pdf

Oh, and you missed this one it seems National Geological Survey via USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resourc ... iers_x.htm

Perhaps you saw this one BBC reports

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4228411.stm

Or maybe this one, in case you are down under

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s241280.htm

Funny how you seem to have missed reading the reports by actual scientists yet are so knowledgable about the subject. It's fascinating that you can be so well informed yet have not actually bothered reading any of the literature on this. Perhaps extracting your head from your ass would make reading easier.

BTW

NOAA is National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
NCDC is the National Climate Data Center
I hope you know what ABC, BBC, and USA Today are.
emote Rescuepractice
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:26 am

teflor the ranger wrote:<snip>

Wy bother? You obviously didn't read the article, or you would have got beyond it being from a British newspaper to notice it was written by a American advisor to President Clinton.

I really don't see the point in refuting each of your errors. Just a couple of the major flaws:

THe melting of ice caps so far hasn't caused large rises in sea levels because the ice was already floating. When floating ice melts, water levels do not rise.

Global warming is the increase in mean global temperatures, not the (broadly accepted) theory that an increase in greenhouse gases is a major cause (note, not the sole cause). Warming is a fact, the theory may not be proven, but the risk of its being correct is so high and the consequences so devastating that it is criminally stupid to take no countermeasures.

I'm not impressed by links to reviews of popular science books. A quick search on google will bring up enough scientific papers. Whether you bother to find out the facts is unimportant. That your government refuses to accept the findings of research projects from many countries, including the US, is not.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:25 am

Since we did hijack the thread, I thought I should at least add this link.

http://www.familylinks.icrc.org/katrina/locate

Red Cross website to help you locate victims.
Halem
Sojourner

Postby Halem » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:28 am

Just talked to a friend that talked to Baik and Nazma and Rokub are with her and safe. Just thought I'd let yall know.
Shevarash OOC: 'Muma OOC: 'i've had to pee for like a million years''
Ssela OOC: 'wow'
Ssela OOC: 'i gotta pee again heh'
Shevarash OOC: 'don't fall in'
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:53 am

1. The earth has existed for a billion years, give or take.
- thats this many: 1,000,000,000

2. Humans have been recording weather for 96 years.
- thats this many :0,000,000,096

You really think you can make an accurate prediction with that kind of sample?

And for all you crazy hippies out there, i got some news for you. The ice caps can melt, the oceans can freeze, the ozone can whither away to nothing. The planet will be fine regardless; its the humans who will be fucked. But I'll be dead by then, so im gonna go get me another cheeseburger in a styrofome container, drink me a beer out of a plastic bottle, and throw it all in the garbage. Sucks for your grandkids.
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:59 am

Well, since you wanted 'Rise in CO2' evidence,
we will start with the basic 'The World is Falling' one

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/20 ... 217958.htm

which is later shown to be an anomaly by,

http://www.spacedaily.com/news/climate-05zm.html

However, you will note the latter gives ppm from 1958 to nearly present day in which it increases by an ever (slightly) growing amount.

Also, I like the complete disavowing that gov't agencies refer to the term 'Global Warming' as a factual entity. I would like you to cross apply my previous evidence,

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/oa/climate/glo ... ng.html#Q2

Which states not only CO2 is at an alltime (human existance) high, but that it and other green house gases do indeed cause the earth to warm. Keep in mind, this is NOAA the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and NCDC the National Climate Data Center.

My goal isn't to convince Teflor he's blowing out his ass, my goal is to convince everyone else he is so hopefully his Ultra-Rightwing Anti-Environment BS doesn't get spread any further any faster on this subject. Read THIS ADMINISTRATION's reports. Even in the face of Adolf Cheney they stand by 'Global Warming' is real. The sad part is that I'm defending the treehuggers.

Anyway, back to the situation at hand, who from here is still unaccounted for? I only knew of a couple of La. people and they have all been noted here.
Last edited by Salen on Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
emote Rescuepractice
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:00 am

doh
emote Rescuepractice
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:02 am

Salen wrote:Well, since you wanted 'Rise in CO2' evidence,

However, you will note the latter gives ppm from 1958 to nearly present day in which it increases by an ever (slightly) growing amount.

Also, I like the complete disavowing that gov't agencies refer to the term 'Global Warming' as a factual entity. I would like you to cross apply my previous evidence,

Which states not only CO2 is at an alltime (human existance) high, but that it and other green house gases do indeed cause the earth to warm. Keep in mind, this is NOAA the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and NCDC the National Climate Data Center.

My goal isn't to convince Teflor he's blowing out his ass, my goal is to convince everyone else he is so hopefully his Ultra-Rightwing Anti-Environment BS doesn't get spread any further any faster on this subject. Read THIS ADMINISTRATION's reports. Even in the face of Adolf Cheney they stand by 'Global Warming' is real. The sad part is that I'm defending the treehuggers.

Any, back to the situation at hand, who from here is still unaccounted for? I only knew of a couple of La. people and they have all been noted here.

"theory that excessive greenhouse gasses are responsible for the rise in global temperatures"

We BOTH know CO2 is UP. NOW PROVE IT CAUSES US TO GET WARMER.

And just so you can get your head out of the sand, there's nothing you can use to prove it. The guy that can directly link CO2 to global warming will win a nobel prize and you WILL know his/her name.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:17 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Salen wrote:Well, since you wanted 'Rise in CO2' evidence,

Any, back to the situation at hand, who from here is still unaccounted for? I only knew of a couple of La. people and they have all been noted here.

"theory that excessive greenhouse gasses are responsible for the rise in global temperatures"

We BOTH know CO2 is UP. NOW PROVE IT CAUSES US TO GET WARMER.

And just so you can get your head out of the sand, there's nothing you can use to prove it. The guy that can directly link CO2 to global warming will win a nobel prize and you WILL know his/her name.

The greenhouse effect is unquestionably real and helps to regulate the temperature of our planet. It is essential for life on Earth and is one of Earth's natural processes. It is the result of heat absorption by certain gases in the atmosphere (called greenhouse gases because they effectively 'trap' heat in the lower atmosphere) and re-radiation downward of some of that heat. Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas, followed by carbon dioxide and other trace gases.

So, NOAA says Greenhouse is real, global warming is real, and that CO2 is one of the factors.

Now, why don't you show all of us the evidence that NOAA is making it all up? Like I said, I really don't like defending the people I am, but I also am one for getting the real information not just letting someone spouting off a political spinline. Will it take 40 years for people to accept the obvious connection like it did tobacco? Probably.

Oh, and are some of the search engines (Yahoo in particular, but all the others some) hosed atm? Trying to read news from La. but nothing will load from the major sources.
emote Rescuepractice
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:35 am

Salen wrote:The greenhouse effect is unquestionably real and helps to regulate the temperature of our planet. It is essential for life on Earth and is one of Earth's natural processes. It is the result of heat absorption by certain gases in the atmosphere (called greenhouse gases because they effectively 'trap' heat in the lower atmosphere) and re-radiation downward of some of that heat. Water vapor is the most abundant greenhouse gas, followed by carbon dioxide and other trace gases.

So, NOAA says Greenhouse is real, global warming is real, and that CO2 is one of the factors.

Now, why don't you show all of us the evidence that NOAA is making it all up? Like I said, I really don't like defending the people I am, but I also am one for getting the real information not just letting someone spouting off a political spinline. Will it take 40 years for people to accept the obvious connection like it did tobacco? Probably.

Oh, and are some of the search engines (Yahoo in particular, but all the others some) hosed atm? Trying to read news from La. but nothing will load from the major sources.

The problem is, Salen, that NOAA is making the assumption. There's a reason why you haven't seen NOAA publish a paper about how it came to that conclusion.

Furthermore, this position is something that government scientists have criticized.

Recently, if you'll remember, there was a controversy over Bush's science advisor holding and altering a report made by government scientists about the possible links between greenhouse gases and rising global mean temperatures.

The Controversy?

Where government scientsts said that there are uncertanties which would hinder proof that excess greenhouse gases cause global temperatures to rise - Bush's science advisor added "significant and fundamental" - which is pretty much what a scientist means when they take the time discuss uncertainty beyond what is expected.

The bottom line? You have no proof. And you certainly won't find it on NOAA's website.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:47 am

Anyway, the point its its stupid to try to blame the US or Bush (or any of our presidents for that matter) for global warming and this storm.

The point is thousands of people are dead or dying from the conditions, and a major US city is underwater and rotting. Its going to take months just to fix the levee breaks and pump the water out and evaluate if anything is salvagable. Gas prices are going insane and we're getting gouged at the pump because of the fake shortage. Can we say recession in 6 months?
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:50 am

Halem wrote:Just talked to a friend that talked to Baik and Nazma and Rokub are with her and safe. Just thought I'd let yall know.

that is tooo awesome!
Tida
Sojourner

Postby Tida » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:14 am

[quote="Wuva"]Has anyone got info on Raxar..If you know anything or you see this Raxar plz let us know your ok.

It breaks my heart to see the devestation that has happened and is still happening.

I truly hope all our mudders/non mudders and families are well.

If I remember right, the last time I talked to Raxar he was in the upper part of Alabama, but that was a bit ago when I talked to him, I'll look and see if I still have him on my icq and can't find a way to get ahold of him, if I can't I'll look around and get someone from down there I know to find him and let you know. That's the info I have on him.
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:03 pm

I saw Dornax on aim and this is his away message:

Help my family and I recover from Hurricane Katrina which has destroyed our beloved home and much of our city. New Orleans shall rise again..

If you wish to help, click the following link:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lovesuicide/49363.html
Azuth OOC: 'and a pic of Slavan's clutch: priceless'

Malar OOC: '<worn on head> Slavan's black lacy thong, with a huge racing stripe in it'
Cyric
FORGER AREAS

Postby Cyric » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:28 pm

All posts with insulting name-calling removed. Amazing how you guys can present extraordinarily well thought out arguments and end them with an "asshole". In any event, please let's not hijack this thread. Thanks.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:03 pm

Reposting since it poofed.

Salen wrote:Funny how you missed this too... NOAA again

http://www.natice.noaa.gov/icefree/NavyArcticPanel.pdf

"Neither the individual contributors to this paper nor the Arctic Research Commission are prepared to assert that the scenarios discussed here are in any way guaranteed."

On the first page of content in your own source.

========================================

Salen wrote:
Oh, and you missed this one it seems National Geological Survey via USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/resourc ... iers_x.htm

"Up and down the icy spine of South America, the glaciers are melting, the white mantle of the Andes Mountains is washing away at an ever faster rate."

I said global ice caps. That means the Arctic and Antarctica. Swing and a miss.

Salen wrote:Perhaps you saw this one BBC reports

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4228411.stm

"Scientists from the British Antarctic Survey (Bas) say the rise in sea levels around the world caused by the melting may have been under-estimated."

And yet

Eshacin wrote:"THe melting of ice caps so far hasn't caused large rises in sea levels because the ice was already floating. When floating ice melts, water levels do not rise."

The credibility of environmentalist's arguments quickly dissolves when they cannot provide uniform and non-conflicting information.

Salen wrote:Or maybe this one, in case you are down under

http://www.abc.net.au/science/news/stories/s241280.htm

To this I'll respond by taking the image from your source and add a little of my own modifications:

Salen wrote:It's fascinating that you can be so well informed yet have not actually bothered reading any of the literature on this. Perhaps extracting your head from your ass would make reading easier.

In seeing how paper thin your literature was, I believe this applies better towards you, Salen. Extract YOUR head and read YOUR own literature.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:29 pm

Eshacin wrote:Global warming is the increase in mean global temperatures, not the (broadly accepted) theory that an increase in greenhouse gases is a major cause (note, not the sole cause). Warming is a fact, the theory may not be proven, but the risk of its being correct is so high and the consequences so devastating that it is criminally stupid to take no countermeasures.

If you read those scientific papers, you'd see that global warming is the theory that the rising mean temperatures across the globe are linked to the excessive amounts of 'greenhouse gases' in our atmosphere.

I can only suggest that you actually read all those articles in the interest of education.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Sep 03, 2005 3:01 pm

why do we continue to trash all posts with argument? gods its getting old!!!!!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:00 pm

OK Cyric

Goddamned slippery mage.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:12 pm

Geez, now stuff is burning in addition to being flooded.

Oh, does it piss anyone else off to see some people such as Jesse Jackson pulling the race card about the relief effort? He could he offering support, but instead is bitching that the blacks are being repressed. He went as far as to draw an analogy between the Superdome and a slave ship for the conditions his people are being kept in. Give me a f'in break.
Wuva
Sojourner

Postby Wuva » Sun Sep 04, 2005 3:51 am

Cnn headline news is saying there could as many as six more hurricanes between now and the end of November, I really hope they are wrong.

I really cant believe the issues being dramatized about race, and low income now either. There was a delay in getting mass help to the people, i believe that help was there as soon as possible but it wasnt enough, the news and the people are going to be greatly vocal if they dont see mass help but now there is help there to help the majority and Im not seeing white people loaded before blacks or vise versa. im seeing the people that are medically in trouble, children and old of all races and income getting help. The focus over the last few years has been the war, were better equipped and in position to handle a issue with mother nature or terrorism in other countries then i feel we are in our own. I really hope this can open more eyes and hearts to get help for our own people sooner. Im in Texas and all im seeing all around me is people reaching out to do anything they can for anyone despite what is being protested. I am not racist in any way but i really wish Rev. Jackson and those that are so positive that this is a racist issue would shut up and volunteer time handing out water/food/clothing rather then stirring up issues that are less important then the matter at hand...saving all lives, regardless of race/income/or whatever.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Sep 04, 2005 5:19 am

Slavan wrote:I saw Dornax on aim and this is his away message:

Help my family and I recover from Hurricane Katrina which has destroyed our beloved home and much of our city. New Orleans shall rise again..

If you wish to help, click the following link:

http://www.livejournal.com/users/lovesuicide/49363.html

Bumping this.

Dornax (Brian Milici) is a friend of many of us and has been a big part of this mud for many years. His house was destroyed and hes holed up with his family in a hotel in texas. They can really use some help right now. We as a community should help him out since hes one of our own. Click on the link above and you will be directed to his livejournal page where you can donate via paypal.

Corth

Goddamned slippery mage.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”