Nodrop Spell for Enchanters

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Reis
Sojourner

Nodrop Spell for Enchanters

Postby Reis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:07 am

An idea for a spell for enchanters that is cast apon a single target and prevents them from fumbling their weapon for a time.
Just an idea.
The hard part is keeping a straight face.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:22 pm

cool idea
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:36 pm

8)

Magnetic hands.

Or how about a locked gauntlet be added to the game where it takes 15 odd seconds to open or close the gauntlet and prevents fumbling.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:37 pm

8)

Ooh, an even better idea: remove fumbling all together after level 5 because it is humiliating to be a master swordsman and dropping your sword all the time.
Hsoj
Sojourner
Location: Not close enough to stalk... Latitude 45°30'30" Longitude -121°50'30"

Postby Hsoj » Wed Nov 02, 2005 3:47 pm

Are you a lvl 50 with max_dex and a master in the type of weapon wielded? Seems that this combination should result in the code presenting a near 0% posibility of fumble, you should still fumble some though, you aren't a main character from a book or anything.
-==~ Tafah Auvry'ar'lyl | Fatah Fire Bath ~==-
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 pm

Agree Hsoj.

And if the spell goes in, give it a nice healthy lifetime, or we overworked enchanters wont exactly be prioritizing it in our 'to-do' lists..
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:33 pm

I hear clerics already get this spell, pretty handy really.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:54 pm

Hmm.. was fighting off the urge to add that... *halo*

I just get !drop weapons...

Enchanters are already overworked.
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:59 pm

I'm guessin' Reis's problem is that he's switching between 10+ weapons and just doesn't have enough room in his inventory for a ton of cursed items. uh oh... my sympathy meter just hit negative numbers.
Reis
Sojourner

Postby Reis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:50 pm

Heh no im not switching between 10+ weapons, Heck i dont even switch from my one. Im no Mambu with weapons here. I am well aware that clerics can curse weapons but just figured would be a nice spell to add into enchanters array.

And i have to agree that a level 50 warrior with maxed dex fumbling their weapon 24/7 is funny yet a little off the wall. If anything i would like to see a reduction in fumbling but then again thats an age old problem.

Oh and back last i knew of curse weapon it also reduced the size of the dice of the weapon by one but im not sure if thats still around. Been along time sense iv been around.
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:52 pm

cursing a weapon only makes it no drop, but removing this magic from the weapon will weaken it.
Reis
Sojourner

Postby Reis » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:06 pm

Thanks much for the clarification there Hsoj. Nice to know how it really works =)
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:58 pm

Actually, it is the cursing that drops the dam dice. Rem'ing curse on a !drop weapon doesn't affect the dam dice. :-)
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:18 pm

lies!! don't believe the quest ruining druid!
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:39 am

Yep, the stronger the weapon, the more cursing it f'x its damage up :(

Fumbling a weapon in general is really stupid and should be mostly removed. I don't know the true rules in D&D but when I would roll a '1', I was told I would trip or half got it caught in my gear and would struggle that round to free it up. In this game, fumbled weapons can be found in the pond real quick. While most good weapons are at least float, some mobs seem to instantaneously loot the weapon, especially daggers. It's as if it were a proc.

It sure would be nice, however, if jimbob could consent billyjoe so billyjoe could just give a cursed weapon to jimbob. having to quit out or remove curse still sucks cuz I have a log where I removed curse, then 'Autosaving...' so just after that, it crashed. no weapon, no trade either

If fumbling were taken out completely, it'd balance out. Mobs that don't lose their weapon sure would hit a hell of a lot harder!
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Nov 03, 2005 3:37 am

I kinda like that idea for a spell, but dunno if it should be a long duration.

I also mostly like the system of fumbles/float/sinking etc as it is now - makes you really have to think about which weapon(s) to use where and be active in preventing your char from dropping a nice toy and it sinking.

However I think a few more of the higher end weapons/items should be flagged float and to a lesser degree cursed as loaded too.

I also agree that fumbling with maxxed related skills should be fairly minimal, but I find it is good as it is - already fairly minimal. And I also think the progression through levels/related skills improvement seems to be pretty good too, regarding chances to fumble.

I love how mobs pick up weapons and wield them against you, I'd like to see this happen more often - except in the case of really nice and harder to get weapons (thus more of these should load cursed perhaps) and if the mob is capable of wording etc. if there'ssignificant risk of losing the weapon permanently (i.e. no reimbursement if game crashes etc., if there is no reimb?)

I tend to avoid manually cursing weapons cuz of the reduction in dice roll.
BEER
Reis
Sojourner

Postby Reis » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:57 pm

I do agree with you there Mogr that when mobs get ahold of weapons sometimes they become a nightmare, which can be a load of fun. Im also of the mind that the only time i want a mob to get my weapon is when they pull it out of my cold dead fingers =). Corse im a big advocate of making mobs loot player corpses. This is a great way for eq rotation. But thats a whole nother subject.

Cursing weapons is really a matter of taste. It would be nice to see a !drop spell allow a person to not fumble for a combat. My other idea was beinging back casting lev on items to give them float but that opens up a really old problem from back in sojourn 1.

Anyhow the matter still does not change for me and i would really love to see the spell someday. As far as overloading enchanters with spells, well they dont have to cast it on people. Not my problem that some enchanters cant say no.
Hsoj
Sojourner

Postby Hsoj » Thu Nov 03, 2005 6:21 pm

i'm not familiar w/ the problems levitating objects caused, please elaborate
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:24 am

Somebody mentioned level 50 warriors fumbling weapons, and somebody else mentioned not cursing a weapon because it reduces the dice.

So, I thought it would be fun to point out that level 50 warriors don't do jack for damage :) You wield a weapon for its proc as a high level warrior.

I have 2 weapons that I wield on a regular basis: Ebony and Sauk's dagger. When I want to deal damage, I use the dagger, when I want to be effective, I wield the ebony that somebody so kindly uncursed and I then had to have recursed.

I have any decent weapon (except my gith) cursed because my dice cause about as much damage to a mob as a 3 year old girl would to a pro wrestler. . .sure, they might hit them in the nuts once in awhile, but not very often. When the procs happen, they cause the true damage. Cursing a weapon doesn't do anything to the proc.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Reis
Sojourner

Postby Reis » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 am

Levitating objects and blessing objects was something that happened alot in Soj 1 during a time. The blessing reduced the weight of objects i think perm while this worked. Levitate made items float and i think at one time if i remember right was perm then made temp, then taken out completely. If someone else remembers what it would be nice to know if my memory is completely gone =)

I honestly dont know the problem the leving weapons made. I know that old blessing objects made them much lighter and was very very abusive.

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”