Excuses for being late?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Vigis
Sojourner

Excuses for being late?

Postby Vigis » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:15 pm

So, I was running a bit behind this morning and figured it would not be best to tell my boss that I was late because I was up too late playing a text based online role-playing game. . .

Then, I realized that my excuse list is getting short and I might either have to A) tell the truth or B) get a pet monkey so I can say it got sick.

Actually, just thought it would be fun to collect late excuses. . .what's your best or favorite?

My best was in college, stayed up waaaay too late and knew I would miss class. So, I got to the breaker box and broke the circuits for the entire dorm. The next day when I missed class, I told the professor that the power went out for the entire dorm. Since he had 30 other people say the same thing that day, he believed it :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:36 pm

Well i've had about 25 grandmothers die, allowing me to miss work.

Hrmm...I usually blame my lateness on my car's because they always end up being a pos.
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:37 pm

dog getting out of the gate is useful, especially when you talk about the dog a lot :P

kids are FOREVER a great excuse .. my kid woke up late so I HAD to take her to school (school is a walking distance from home :P)

so now i can use mudding as a late to meet the bf excuse! (since he is a mudder he will understand, right?!!)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:46 pm

I just show up late every day. That way when I'm late because I was up too late mudding it looks perfectly normal. It's gotten to the point that when I show up on time everyone says "Gee, you're early today."

Brilliant.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Pobbil
Sojourner

Postby Pobbil » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:53 pm

Kallinar wrote:Hrmm...I usually blame my lateness on my car's because they always end up being a pos.

I have to agree with that one. My car is always convienently broken down, flat tire, no gas, etc etc. My car has broken down at work enough that people actually believe me when I say it isnt working.
Dranth
Sojourner

Postby Dranth » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:04 pm

If there is a better excuse than, 'I had to take my wife to WalMart', I have not heard it yet.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:56 pm

Dranth wrote:If there is a better excuse than, 'I had to take my wife to WalMart', I have not heard it yet.

Yup, I think thats definately the winner.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:56 pm

It's like that commercial I always hear for Whataburger. Just show up with breakfast, "that way you're not the guy who showed up late, you're the guy who brought breakfast, and everyone likes that guy!"

So bring in Donuts or Kolaches (if you have them in your area) or some breakfast taco's/burrito's if you're running late. Preferably something your boss likes too.

Works like a charm, even if you do it every day of the week. Pretty soon people will even start giving you money for it!
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:14 pm

rofl so true!

but then you become the food bitch! who wants to be called that! (gods i have brought donuts so often when working on saturdays in my previous life .. rofl)

-Italian Proverb
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:30 pm

excuses are for the weak.

when you make an excuse you put yourself in a position of subservience or put the recipient at a level above you where you feel it necessary to justify your action/inaction to them.

i dont give excuses when im late, i just am late and thats all there is to it. I especially never give excuses at work, if questioned, I just say I'll do what I can to avoid having the same problem.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:22 pm

Ambar wrote:rofl so true!

but then you become the food bitch! who wants to be called that! (gods i have brought donuts so often when working on saturdays in my previous life .. rofl)

Ohh baby you sound like my kinda shop supervisor.
"AE1 brought us donuts! YAY! *hump hump*"
Kallinar goes MOO

shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:41 pm

kiryan wrote:excuses are for the weak.

when you make an excuse you put yourself in a position of subservience or put the recipient at a level above you where you feel it necessary to justify your action/inaction to them.

i dont give excuses when im late, i just am late and thats all there is to it. I especially never give excuses at work, if questioned, I just say I'll do what I can to avoid having the same problem.

Hai!
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:04 pm

kiryan wrote:excuses are for the weak.

Hrmm..i thought the whole concept of "working for someone else" put you in a position of subservience...not the making excuses to keep from getting fired part.

Excuses are not for the weak...excuses are for those that are looking out for #1. The better you are at making excuses, the stronger you are at keeping your job.

Stick that in your kiseru and smoke it.
Kallinar goes MOO

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 5:22 pm

Kallinar wrote:
Ambar wrote:rofl so true!

Ohh baby you sound like my kinda shop supervisor.
"AE1 brought us donuts! YAY! *hump hump*"

ROFL!!!!

-Italian Proverb
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:06 am

I've told more than one boss that I was abducted by aliens on the way to work.

Sad thing is a few believed it.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:06 am

Easy! Just say, 'As I walked out of the shower, my girlfriend caught glimpse and *crack knuckles* whelp...' Case closed!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sat Jan 21, 2006 10:58 am

Thilindel wrote:Easy! Just say, 'As I walked out of the shower, my girlfriend caught glimpse and *crack knuckles* whelp...' Case closed!

We're talking about mudders. Silly, you know most mudders don't have girlfriends, let alone live in ones. Silly rabbit.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:50 pm

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:13 pm

I already held him in high esteem, but my respect for Vigis has increased one notch.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”