You are a survivor.

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Duna
Sojourner

You are a survivor.

Postby Duna » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:38 am

Got this e-mail and had to share.. I know there's several people who play that were born before 1980 :P

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED being born in the 1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't
get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored,
lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when
we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes (and the batter), white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because ...

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING !

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were
back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt , and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility,
and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

And YOU are one of them! CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave
their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it
Ruxur
Sojourner

Re: You are a survivor.

Postby Ruxur » Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:42 am

Duna wrote:We ate cupcakes (and the batter), white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because ...

ORLY?
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:22 pm

Yes, and your generation produced a whole lot of people who call the five year old to fix the blinking 12 on the VCR.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:20 pm

im a libertarian!

and im for sure pro-parents right and responsibility to parent. if states arent going to do the job for you then they should STAY THE HELL OUT OF YOUR BUSINESS and quit giving children, yes even the 17 year old children, rights that most can't handle.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:46 pm

i was mortified by the fact that my kids were given out the child protection agency phone number when they were in like first or second grade..

i tend to agree kids dont play outside as much, but who's fault is that? ours! when we put tv's, computers and video games in our kids rooms, why the hell do they need to go out? they see us playing games for hours on end without moving, why shouldnt they do the same?
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:17 pm

Duna wrote:First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

And now I can't seem to quit smoking. Oh and I'm an alcaholic too!

Duna wrote:They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't
get tested for diabetes.

Why oh why have I always been a chunky guy? I mean my whole life I never lost that extra bit of chub...even when I worked out regularly...

Duna wrote:Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored,
lead-based paints.

Hey don't forget that 8 foot tall bunkbed set with no safety rails! Falling off the top of that thing in the middle of the night is GREAT!

Duna wrote:We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when
we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took
hitchhiking.

Once, when i was like 3 or 4, I ate an entire bottle of Flintstones vitamins. I pooped colors for a week...

Duna wrote:As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.

My mom used to let me steer the car doing 80mph when i was 3 and 4 while sitting on her lap without a seatbelt. Great times.

Duna wrote:Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.

I actually fell out of the back of a truck while riding in it on my grandfathers farm. Luckily the tree broke my fall for ther most part.

Duna wrote:We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

Bottled water is for wussies.

Duna wrote:We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE
actually died from this.

Now I never actually partook in this...MY soda dammit! I'm not sharing!

Duna wrote:We ate cupcakes (and the batter), white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because ...

Didn't stop me from being fat.

Duna wrote:We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were
back when the streetlights came on.

But i'm still fat.

Duna wrote:No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O..K.

I actually had a friend who's mom rang a dinner bell when she wanted him to come home.

Duna wrote:We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the
bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

Hey now my go-kart was made out of high quality 2x4's and featured real lawnmower wheels!

Duna wrote:We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........

Well I did have the Atari 2600...

Duna wrote:WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

Till i got my Atari 2600

Duna wrote:We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.

Fell outta trees...never a broken bone...must have been all the Blue cheese.

Duna wrote:We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt , and the worms did not live in us forever.

Imagine my surprise when my cousin told me a mudpie tasted like Chocolate.

Duna wrote:We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

Hell I got a single shot 10 gauge on my 10th birthday.

Duna wrote:We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Or hung out around their houses like little stalkers till they came home.

Duna wrote:Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team.
Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Hrmm..I guess in the deep south, kids get more chances to wear the uniform and pretend. There were like 35 kids on my old team.

Duna wrote:The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of.
They actually sided with the law!

Yeah and my dad explicitly informed the principal of my elementary school to use the paddle whenever he deemed it necessary and not to bother them with the details.

I wouldn't say I'm a better person for having experienced all those things in my childhood, but I sure know I can take a beating and come out of it relatively unscathed.
Kallinar goes MOO
Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:15 pm

Kallinar wrote:

Says the guy who brings a bottle with him to work every day.

The flavored kind.
Holding this in mind
That if we fall, we all fall
And we fall alone
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:46 pm

Thats it. No more internet for me, I want to continue surviving! Hurrah for the 70's child!

G'Bye! nice knowing you internet people!

Sincerely,

Sundee - killed by the internet. AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:49 pm

Eza wrote:
Kallinar wrote:

Says the guy who brings a bottle with him to work every day.

The flavored kind.

Feh
I ment when I was a kid. I wouldn't touch the swill around here nowdays.
Kallinar goes MOO

Confucious say: He who walk around with hand in pocket feel kockie all day.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:10 pm

I"m not sayin all of that applies to the children of the 70's.. I had an Atari 2600 and when they came around a Commodore 64.. Alot of it is true for kids of the 70's, but think of it this way.. alot of it goes just as much for our parents and the generations before us as well..

And actually Rags, my generation was the one called on to fix the blinking 12 on the VCR :P It was my parents and grandparents that had trouble with it :)

I posted this because I think it's kinda neat, if you think about it.. we're used to cell phones, xbox's, the internet, the 99+ channels on cable.. but growing up we didn't have that. well the kids of the late 60's/70's didn't.. we've watched the technology grow as we have..
My kids, at 12 and 8, can't fully understand the concept that there wasn't always an internet, cell phones or home computers..
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:50 pm

I understand what you are saying, Duna, the times change and when I think of the new generation and where it's heading, it is quite frightening.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Fri Jan 20, 2006 10:50 pm

I also know a person born in the 70s that is fat.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:37 am

Disoputlip wrote:I also know a person born in the 70s that is fat.

its an epedemic! oh noes, were being overrun by fat people!
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Sat Jan 21, 2006 12:46 am

HELL YEAH DUNA!!!!
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--

Return to “General Discussion Archive”