Did anyone go to EQ2

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dalar
Sojourner

Did anyone go to EQ2

Postby Dalar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:55 pm

I know Lenefir did. Anyone else?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:04 am

Yes...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:15 am

I tried it. Horrible Horrible Horrible.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:48 am

Yeah, I'm actually thinking about droping it. Got boring too quick.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:16 pm

Did you go to PvP? I'm on Nagafen now learning the game with a bunch of Duris people.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:56 pm

I didn't know the pvp servers were up yet. I haven't played in a week or so. I'm on the oasis server.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:26 pm

Kifle wrote:I didn't know the pvp servers were up yet. I haven't played in a week or so. I'm on the oasis server.

Yesterday around 3pm. There were around 20 newbie instances up and some were querying above 100 players. This was just for Freeport and I hear Qeynos had similar numbers.

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:30 pm

Kifle-

We bailed off the Oasis server and went to Lucan D'Lere.. more people, lots of them older and more mature, and its an RP pref server (god yes the dumb names are still rampant...). If you're interested see if they're still doing the free server Xfers. (Pretty sure they are since they just added the new PVP servers in with all the KotS stuff.)

Rho is a convert, I'm just a dabbler. *shrug*

If you head that way, look me up, I'm not too hard to find *grin*.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:28 am

Lilira wrote:Kifle-

We bailed off the Oasis server and went to Lucan D'Lere.. more people, lots of them older and more mature, and its an RP pref server (god yes the dumb names are still rampant...). If you're interested see if they're still doing the free server Xfers. (Pretty sure they are since they just added the new PVP servers in with all the KotS stuff.)

Rho is a convert, I'm just a dabbler. *shrug*

If you head that way, look me up, I'm not too hard to find *grin*.

Heh, oasis just had a server merger with some other crappy server, but yeah, lemme know if it's still free for the transfers. I have a 54 monk and a few other odd 30-20's. Just got boring playing with crappy people all the time.

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:41 am

Feh. Sorry Kifle... missed it by 2 days. :-(

Sunday was the last day for free Xfers.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:49 am

Bleh, I'll probably just end up Eq-baying my character now. I'm trying out CoV. It's pretty alright so far.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:51 pm

City of Villians is fucking AWESOME...

...for about 2 months. Play it, get to 50, roll up a couple of alts because the character generator is just incredible. But soon you'll notice that there's not much to do in the game besides instanced door missions and random street hunting. It's as if NCSoft built a wonderful character generator, designed some truly excellent classes and powersets, implemented the bare-bones level grinding system, and then went home for a nap. They never got around to adding the fun stuff, the zones you do once you've learned your character and have gotten to mid-high level. That stuff just isn't there. You grind your way straight to 50, then reroll another character and start again.

I had a couple 50s in City of Heroes, then I bought CoV and found out it's the same game with different powersets, and quit after the free month.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:14 pm

ftw!

Cirath and i are on CoV we play villans on the liberty server.

heroes on the infinity server.

we have suckered some other rl friends in on this, so were able to run a regular group of 4. We make sure that when we make characters we take complimentary powers. Come smite with us!
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:27 pm

Ragorn wrote:City of Villians is fucking AWESOME...

...for about 2 months. Play it, get to 50, roll up a couple of alts because the character generator is just incredible. But soon you'll notice that there's not much to do in the game besides instanced door missions and random street hunting. It's as if NCSoft built a wonderful character generator, designed some truly excellent classes and powersets, implemented the bare-bones level grinding system, and then went home for a nap. They never got around to adding the fun stuff, the zones you do once you've learned your character and have gotten to mid-high level. That stuff just isn't there. You grind your way straight to 50, then reroll another character and start again.

I had a couple 50s in City of Heroes, then I bought CoV and found out it's the same game with different powersets, and quit after the free month.

That is what I was afraid of. The powers are just too damn cool in that game, but w/o special enhancements from zones/raids I'd see the endgame being extremely lacking. I was just going to hop on cov because my wife thought it would be fun, but she has even less time than I do to play, so I'll play until I get bored I guess. If I hadn't already gotten to 54 with my monk and mined for t6 crap I'd probably start on a different server, but that game is just grind grind grind. Quest exp is too lacking.

What are your character's names on CoV rux?

Also, what are you chrs names on the pvp server, dartan? I may check out the pvp system and see if it's worth it to progress another character.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:47 pm

There are (at least, when I played seriously, pre-CoV) no zones. There is one raid, Hamidon, which involves 50 heros standing at max range all sniping one big mob for an hour. Hamidon enhancements (Hami-Os!) are good, but they just combine two existing enhancements into one slot (damage/accuracy, accuracy/mez duration, etc). Nothing overly special or unique.

CoH was a game with amazing number crunching and powergaming potential that was completely ruined by your ability to solo to 50 without crunching any numbers or powergaming at all.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:43 am

Ragorn wrote:City of Villians is fucking AWESOME...

Part of the reason I love CoH and CoV is because of the ability to play vast portions of the game by yourself if you are so inclined. As for there not being any zones, well, I would have to say that Task Forces and Strike Forces are fairly equivelent to zoning on a mud. The major difference is that, with the exception of experience and at least one decent enhancement, your only reward is the story.

With Heroes in particular, I find that a lot of the story arcs are enough to keep me interested in the game. I can, of course, see your point about grinding and restarting, but to be honest the same can be said of mudding. In my mind it comes down to story or wardrobe. Which one is more fun to play with.

Kifle: Ruxur is @Maxler and I am @Cirath (global names, that is). Shouldn't be hard to remember.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:32 am

I've gone back to Anarchy Online myself. :p

Only game thats made me cry in frustration and kept me unbored for a number of years now.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:35 pm

Kifle wrote:Also, what are you chrs names on the pvp server, dartan? I may check out the pvp system and see if it's worth it to progress another character.

Dartan

daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:43 pm

Matt Damon!!
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:46 pm

if i had a gun like that i would put love potion bullets in it, and shoot the ladies with my love. And then all the ladies would fall in love with me, and i would have to beat them off with my sword and they would go AYE DUSTO! eeeey baybee i dont have time to steal your heart right now, i have to go steal a car and rob a bank and GO ABOOM!
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:21 pm

I'm surprised some of you guys who don't like the level-grinding mind-numbing exp'n don't play GW's, or do you? You get more exp from doing quests there then exp'n on mobs. Since you hit max level about midway thru the game, you spend the 2nd half actually playing your character and experimenting with what they can and cannot do.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:07 pm

Llaaldara wrote:I'm surprised some of you guys who don't like the level-grinding mind-numbing exp'n don't play GW's, or do you? You get more exp from doing quests there then exp'n on mobs. Since you hit max level about midway thru the game, you spend the 2nd half actually playing your character and experimenting with what they can and cannot do.

But, what exactly is there to do with your character? Are there any high end zones that provide fat loots? I'm quickly getting bored with CoV because of the lack of zones and loot you can't just buy at the npc shops. Makes leveling kind of pointless.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:44 pm

EQ2 pvp is quite laggy and stupid if you fight near zone lines. Other than that, it's way better than WoW PvP. Did a 9v7 the other day and it lasted about 3 minutes.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:50 pm

Kifle wrote:But, what exactly is there to do with your character? Are there any high end zones that provide fat loots? I'm quickly getting bored with CoV because of the lack of zones and loot you can't just buy at the npc shops. Makes leveling kind of pointless.

Ok, I was typing out this long in depth response, but I decided against it. Kifle, if you'd like to know more about the game I'd be happy to inform you via PM's. I don't want to look like I'm advertising the game here. The one thing I'll say about GW's is, if you decide to play it you will run into a number of Torilians, because GW's is one world, not a series of seperate servers you have to create seperate characters on. So guilds on GW's are able to incorporate both PvE'rs and PvP'ers at the same time. Such as the one I'm happily in. I play mostly for PvE, but about half my guild does that and likes to PvP. It's nice having that option.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:13 am

I have Guild Wars, and I will admit that it is a beautiful game with a lot of potential, but it seems like they have this wonderful, expansive world that gets pushed to the side in favor of PvP. To be fair, I havent played it since a few weeks after release, so perhaps I should give it another try, but dragging three NPCs around to do everything is so very tedious.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:52 pm

I had the opposite experience with Guild Wars. I wanted to PvP, and now. I rolled up an Ele/Nec and leveled her to 20 very quickly. And then I asked around, and found out it would take me another 15 hours of questing to get all of the necessary skills I would need to PvP well. And if I wanted to change classes, it was another 20-30 hours of doing the same quests over again to get that class's skills.

Now, I don't mind level grinding in small doses. I also like questing. But I found the quests in GW to be fairly trite... usually, quests were "walk 30 minutes and kill an easy boss, then come back." The PvE content wasn't engaging enough to keep me in the game long enough to do any real PvP. Beyond your 8 chosen skills, there was little character customization, as the item selection was thin and unimpressive and there were no stats.

All in all, I felt like they could have done well by either producing an RPG/PvP brawler and eliminating the 40-hour grind, or developing a more engaging PvE game and slapping a monthly fee on if necessary.
- Ragorn
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:26 pm

Ragorn wrote:I had the opposite experience with Guild Wars. I wanted to PvP, and now. I rolled up an Ele/Nec and leveled her to 20 very quickly. And then I asked around, and found out it would take me another 15 hours of questing to get all of the necessary skills I would need to PvP well. And if I wanted to change classes, it was another 20-30 hours of doing the same quests over again to get that class's skills.

You were told wrong then. You can unlock everything in the game by either PvE'n or by PvP'n. In Character Gen you can selected one of the pre-generated characters, run right into the arenas immediately, and start accumulating Faction Points. With Faction points you can then pay to unlock all aspects of the game.

You are now free to change your 2nd class at will if you have a PvE character. If you want to unlock everything in the game that way, you just change 2nd class, run to the skill merchant in Ember Light Camp, and buy anything skill/spell want for that class that isn't an elite - if you have the money for it. There's no need to quest any skills for the new class in this case. Just buy em.

So you can buy it with gold in PvE, or you can buy them with Faction in PvP. If you are looking for a game that gives you every single thing up front, and let's you run right into an arena, then I think you're looking at that wrong genre of games. Perhaps an FPS?
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Fri Mar 03, 2006 7:14 pm

ya, i played guild wars for a bit. decent game but shrug the point and click stuff gets old after awhile.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 7:52 pm

Kifle where did you say you were going in guild chat? I was doing a HQ

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:00 pm

Llaaldara wrote:So you can buy it with gold in PvE, or you can buy them with Faction in PvP. If you are looking for a game that gives you every single thing up front, and let's you run right into an arena, then I think you're looking at that wrong genre of games. Perhaps an FPS?

And how long must you grind faction points to unlock the full set of (non-elite) skills in PvP, using only the 8 default skills you're given? How long must your Monk sit in a PvP arena casting Gimpy Heal before you're able to unlock the skills that other people are using? Or how long must you AOE mobs outside Druid's Outlook, doing nothing more than farming gold, before you're able to purchase all of the skills for a new class?

Actually, I think I prefer a game with more content, not less. Perhaps World of Warcraft, whose PvP is better than that of Guild Wars, and there's an actual game surrounding the Capture the Flag arena.
- Ragorn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:52 pm

WoW PvP is a joke. PvP was cool when everyone wasn't stacked with epics. They did a horrible job at balancing PvE rewards in a PvP environment and the scaling of equipment and skills as you progress. How? DPS scales faster than HP upgrades.

If you want a ton of content go to EQ2.

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:30 am

Brian, I love ya no shit (no I really don't), but every new game you play is better than the old crappy one :P

Ypu play a game a few months then realize the end game, realize there really is no winning, then you get bored and move on and bitch about the game you just left and rave about thew latest one you are going to play, then you return to sojourn and bitch about it!

Three words ..

Spore is coming!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Selzan
Sojourner

Postby Selzan » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:21 pm

Dalar wrote:If you want a ton of content go to EQ2.

No.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:45 pm

Ambar wrote:Brian, I love ya no shit (no I really don't), but every new game you play is better than the old crappy one :P

Ypu play a game a few months then realize the end game, realize there really is no winning, then you get bored and move on and bitch about the game you just left and rave about thew latest one you are going to play, then you return to sojourn and bitch about it!

Three words ..

Spore is coming!

I haven't returned to Sojourn in 2-3 years! WoW still has good stuff in the end-game and playing EQ2 is just like playing WoW for the first time, if not easier. EQ2 has a ton of mediocre content. WoW has a good amount of quality content. EQ = quantity, WoW = quality.

I still bitch about EQ2 too. The lag is pretty bad on the servers even with most players moving on to the mid-20's content. In the teens zone, we have to run ahead of our targets by about 10 feet and begin casting just so the game will register our hits correct. It's extremely easy to run if they don't have 2-3 stunners because of the lag.

P.S. I'm not endorsing EQ2 to you all. I don't have time to be hardcore for either game. Just something to pass the time while I study again!

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:00 pm

I'd rather have a sushi box lunch than an all you can eat shit buffet.
- Ragorn
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:10 pm

Heh have you even tried EQ2 since LU19?

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Mar 08, 2006 3:36 am

Dalar wrote:Kifle where did you say you were going in guild chat? I was doing a HQ

To chicago...just got back about 20 minutes ago :)

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:36 pm

Ragorn wrote:And how long must you grind faction points to unlock the full set of (non-elite) skills in PvP, using only the 8 default skills you're given?

I have no idea. Depending on how good or bad you are, your group, and your opponents, this could take a while or happen quickly. There are bonuses for flawless victories, and each time you kill a player in the arena, there is bonus for that. It's not just a team win you get Faction. Winning streaks I've heard also yield more faction.

Ragorn wrote:How long must your Monk sit in a PvP arena casting Gimpy Heal before you're able to unlock the skills that other people are using?

Again, I have no idea. It depends on the circumstances. Most players don't like playing monks in the arena, because they are the hardest class to play in the arena. This is because they are always target #1. It would be more advisable to play as a different class/combo initially.

Ragorn wrote:Or how long must you AOE mobs outside Druid's Outlook, doing nothing more than farming gold, before you're able to purchase all of the skills for a new class?

No one does that, so I don't have the slightest idea. There are established farming areas that yield dramatically more money then the location you've indicated. Also, since you can reach max level in 2 days or less if you want, you can do the higher end zones that yield high amounts of money and drops that can be sold for hefty sums. If you used one of the established farming areas, you could probably unlock everything for your class combo in under a day.

Ragorn wrote:Actually, I think I prefer a game with more content, not less. Perhaps World of Warcraft, whose PvP is better than that of Guild Wars, and there's an actual game surrounding the Capture the Flag arena.

I see where the problem is now and why you continue to insult the game. You went to GW's expecting another WoW and are mad that's not what you got. It happens often. But like Toril, GW's is supposed to be a different type of game to play. That's why it's not made by Blizzard. That's why the people who did make it LEFT BLIZZARD. They envisioned a completely different type of game, and that's what they wanted to make. So they did. So naturally if you went to GW's expecting another WoW, you'd be upset.

You'll have to pardon my lack of understanding your plight tho, as you ask for more content but desire it all upfront within the first 5 seconds of play. Which appears to be your gripe about the game in your 2 posts, and subsequently appears to be a blatant contradiction of interests.

On a personal note, I would appreciate it if you could possibly make your remarks less inflammatory. Tho I do not like all games played by other players of this forum, I do not make it a habit of beating those games down and making those people feel insulted, or attacked, as a result of my comments.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:35 pm

Dalar wrote:I still bitch about EQ2 too. The lag is pretty bad on the servers even with most players moving on to the mid-20's content. In the teens zone, we have to run ahead of our targets by about 10 feet and begin casting just so the game will register our hits correct. It's extremely easy to run if they don't have 2-3 stunners because of the lag.

Its my understanding that its only like that on the PvP servers. :-(

Don't get me wrong, we have our laggy moments on Lucan, I'm just saying the lag seems to be the worst on those particular servers.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:14 am

Llaaldara wrote:You'll have to pardon my lack of understanding your plight tho, as you ask for more content but desire it all upfront within the first 5 seconds of play. Which appears to be your gripe about the game in your 2 posts, and subsequently appears to be a blatant contradiction of interests.

On a personal note, I would appreciate it if you could possibly make your remarks less inflammatory. Tho I do not like all games played by other players of this forum, I do not make it a habit of beating those games down and making those people feel insulted, or attacked, as a result of my comments.

I would appreciate if you would lose the condescending attitude, like I'm some kind of 12 year old twitch gamer who should "play an FPS" and "wants it all up front within 5 seconds of play." You've done nothing but get on my ass since you started posting in this thread, and it's the epitome of hypocrisy that you would then try to tell me that I'm being inflammatory.

Also, I don't care what you think of my opinion of Guild Wars. You apparently chose to take it personally. That's something you have to handle on your own, because I'm not really interested in whether you feel "attacked" because I posted something negative about a game you like.
- Ragorn
Imis9
Sojourner

Postby Imis9 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:06 pm

I'm confused. Let me see if I get this straight.

We're attacking each other on the Toril BBS about which other online games we do or don't like? I just wanted to make sure I was understanding correctly or if I had truly and finally lost my mind.

Thanks,
Imis
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:34 pm

I guess some people take this shit personally.
- Ragorn
Dorlack
Sojourner

Postby Dorlack » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:01 pm

Good insertion for the hi-jacked flame post on EQ2.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/03/01

:lol:
Dorlack
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:12 pm

Well, some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:24 pm

Ragorn, OK well, I give up. Even when I try and have a legitimate conversation with you, you misconstrue everything I say and twist it all around in the worst possible way. Like I’m some bitter hateful woman that wants to vent on men at every possible opportunity, especially you for some god forsaken reason I don’t understand. I’m not getting into a flame war with you, yet again, because I don’t care enough to even bother.

Just go on believing I was trying to be condescending to you again, and not trying to actually understand your P.O.V. for once.

*sighs*

Return to “General Discussion Archive”