portable music solutions

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Tasan
Sojourner

portable music solutions

Postby Tasan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:35 pm

I have a new job where using one of these on a daily basis will probably become routine. Since I don't spend much time on tech sites and what not, was wondering if those that did and were bored at work could give me a run down on what the best out there is, the best for my money, etc.

I don't need top of the line, and I don't need huge carrying capacity, though it would be nice to go through a day of work without repeating songs too much.

Appreciate it, thx.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:24 pm

hi-md by sony.. uses 1 gig mini discs that can hold the equivelant of 10 cds.. and the player is only $150 won't skip, comes with 1 gig disc, and is compatible with the regular 750mb mini discs also.. this way you don't have to constantly add/remove music from a mp3 player..

added bonus, they now make mini disc players for your home too :D
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:47 am

Trmptel - best available.
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:44 am

Die you horrible bastard of a bygone era :(
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:16 pm

C'mon no one has had experience with anything like an ipod to compare to something else?

Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:01 pm

bah ipods suck.. their batteries have a 1 year shelf life, though i hear they are somewhat better now but still not worth it

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:00 pm

Minofagal wrote:bah ipods suck.. their batteries have a 1 year shelf life, though i hear they are somewhat better now but still not worth it

I completely disagree.

I have a one year old ipod (2 years this next christmas) battery life is still as good as when I first got it. It's the 20gig U2 Ipod. I use it constantly, and recharge it every night and it works like a charm.

If you want something long lasting, and you have the money i'd suggest getting one. The only issue really is money.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:21 pm

I have a Creative Muvo TX or some such thing...Its small, 256mb small, but I got it for $20 so I can't complain, I only use it now and then since I have XM radio and the good ole web. The nice thing about it is it works like a USB jump drive, so I can also use it for moving documents back and forth from work.

iPods are nice and all, but soo many people I know have to send them in for repairs, usually because the HD tweaks out. Can be a hassle, but apple is usally pretty good about getting it fixed promptly.

Personally, I think I'd rather dumb that much money into a nice cell phone than an iPod but thats just me.

I think you need one of these: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/13/mp3_breast_implant/

Giggity giggity giggity.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Feb 22, 2006 10:46 pm

Get a used iPod from an Apple retailer. I've had 2 ipods and 1 shuffle, I'm happy with them all.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:32 pm

anyone who says that the ipod sucks, obviously has no clue what they are talking about. But as we all know there are alternatives out there. Recently i got a product in my hands (thats not out yet) that just kicks ass. This is my media player of choice

http://www.engadget.com/2006/01/05/toshiba-gigabeat-s-portable-media-center-with-2-4-inch-qvga-lcd/

the wide screen option on this player is unbeatable. If the player detects a wide screen video then it auto rotates the screen for wide screen mode. Plus integration with windows media 10 is nice, if you like windows media player 10 (same with itunes) Also, this device can sync up with most DVR's such as the tivo series 2, and most dvr's that motorola has, meaning that you can move TIVO'd shows onto the unit and watch them on the go. The screen is brilliant, but not as good as its creative labs counterpart screen. price 300$ 30 gb 400$ 60 gb

onto the creative zen vision m

http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=14331

if this baby had the wide screen format of the gigabeat and the close integration with windows media player 10, it might be my player instead of the gigabeat. Its video screen is to die for, best in industry, better than the ipod. This version has a microphone in it, so you can record notes to yourself. price 329$ 30 gb

you cannot talk media players without talking about the ipod

http://www.apple.com/ipod/ipod.html

the ipod is the granddaddy of all media players. Sometimes all of the other media players are refered to as "wanna be ipods" Granted thats not the case because all have thier own pros and cons. Pros from the ipod include the prestige of owning an ipod, the design is just sick, if your an apple guy there is no other player for you, battery life is beyond the other players, its the smallest of the 3 media players ive listed. the biggest con of the player is that it is remarkably easy to scratch. You look at this thing wrong, and it scratches. 30 gb 300$ 60gb 400$ (same as toshiba)

as far as smaller capacity cheaper media players go, you cannot loose with the ipod nano 1gb, it has no competitor. 149$ but keep in mind you only have 1 gb of storage and no video playback. The nano does store still pictures quite well.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:56 pm

i really am more of a bigger is better kind of guy, but the 4 gb ipod nano is very compelling for music (no video).

its more than enough room for music.. sure you can't keep every song you ever heard or every song on every cd, but at a point too much music becomes unmanageable (i can't manage the 100 gb of mp3s on my home computer let alone on some sort of limited function device).

the biggest plus is the size... its wafer thin and its relatively light.. we've all seen the musclemen running down the street with a full size ipod strapped to their arm... that just seems uncomfortable. The nano's form factor makes it very convenient, whether it is stuffed into a tiny purse or slipped into the pocket of your slacks or hung around your neck with a 40 dollar pair of headphones...

the biggest drawback to the nano for me... is that I hate the user interface; I like a high degree of responsive feedback and I just don't get it with the touch control slider... Another negative is freaking ipod accessories are stupidly expensive... I thought we figured out 10 years ago that a car chargers and headphones should cost $10 not $20 or $30 or even $40...

Lastly, not being able to change your battery means you have to charge it every so often (the nano's battery is good for 6-8 hours) which sucks... its always when your going to be away from electricity for 4-6 hours that you forget to charge your batteries... i prefer serviceable batteries so I can buy extras and keep listening instead of having to plug in... Some people argue about batteries wearing out and having to throw their ipod away in 2 or 3 years, but be real, do you actually think that you won't buy a new one every 2-3 years? In 2 - 3 years you'll probably get and store all your music on your phone anyways. lots of electronic shit isn't manufactured to last more than 2-3 years because its so obsolete by then your just going to throw it away anyways.

did i mention i hate itunes because of the anti-distribution crap? there are alternatives that eliminate some of the safeguards... but none of the other programs are as "good" as itunes from what I have seen.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:45 pm

kiryan wrote:i really am more of a bigger is better kind of guy

VENA CONFIRM/DENY. THANKS FOR LETTUCE SNOW IN ADVANCE.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:50 pm

the way i see it mike (kiryan) you need the toshiba gigabeat. It has everything you say you want.

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:39 pm

I looked at the toshiba link, but i still think id recommend the nano over any other media player i've seen (unless you want video)...

The perfect player for me would be....

no more than a little bigger or heavier than the ipod nano

take some sort of external media like compact flash (so I can extend my storage and not have to juggle songs on the player when I exceed native storage limits)

removable / 2nd battery (so i can never have to wait for charging)

some sort of wireless interface like bluetooth for headphones / remote control (but preferably something with more range)

hackable so peeps will write emulators and games for it.
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:35 am

kiryan wrote:I looked at the toshiba link, but i still think id recommend the nano over any other media player i've seen (unless you want video)...

The perfect player for me would be....

no more than a little bigger or heavier than the ipod nano

the gigabeat is tiny
kiryan wrote:take some sort of external media like compact flash (so I can extend my storage and not have to juggle songs on the player when I exceed native storage limits)

get the 60 gb player, and say screw you to storage limits
kiryan wrote:removable / 2nd battery (so i can never have to wait for charging)

bleh wont ever happen
kiryan wrote:some sort of wireless interface like bluetooth for headphones / remote control (but preferably something with more range)

you and me both
kiryan wrote:hackable so peeps will write emulators and games for it.

the gigabeat s fully integrates with windows, you can bet there will be mods for it[/quote][/quote]

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:46 am

kiryan wrote:I looked at the toshiba link, but i still think id recommend the nano over any other media player i've seen (unless you want video)...

The nano will play video, you just have to tweak it a bit.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:58 am

1-4 gb vid player? no thanks :-)

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:12 am

Well this is all unfortunate news then.

I dispise apple, always have, probably always will. As much as people see microshaft as being an evil empire, apple is no better, and itunes proves it. I already had the unfortunate experience of attempting to change formats with the various shit just to get things untagged so you can play SHIT YOU PAID FOR with something other than your computer or ipod.

I really don't care about how good the thing looks.

I really don't see a need for video, at all.

I don't need 20+ GB.

I appreciate the info... I think for now I'll just wait until someone offers something more along the lines of what I will use regularly at a price that doesn't make me think it should last more than 2 years. I already need to replace my phone which seemed to hit 6 months and then decide it was obsolete so it should stop working.

I miss technology that could be counted on to be worth the price you paid for it.

Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:14 am

dude, i'm telling you.. go sony mini disc player.. it might be ancient but 1 gig, removable storage, and runs on AA batteries.. i think 10cds worth of music is plenty and you avoid the other shit from apple

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:36 am

a mini disc player is not the kind of portable media player that we are talking about here.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:28 pm

Ruxur wrote:1-4 gb vid player? no thanks :-)

With 4gb of space, having one video on there for a long trip plus music is pretty sweet imo. The only way most people can fill up the larger ipods is by downloading everything they may have liked in the past 10 years or so. I can easily fit quite a few hours of listening on to a 1-2gb storage drive, so having an extra 2gigs spare for one or two movies is pretty good for people like me who don't need the shaft theme song on their ipod :)

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:28 am

I have a 60g ipod photo. I'm really happy with it in general, the batteries last ages. I use it to put presentations on for work, and it's big so can hold a few work files and stuff. Show people pictures of artwork etc.

I have a LOT of music. It sounds good. Definately recommend fancy headphones if your a bit of an audiophile.

The only problem I have with it is that I can't use window media player 10 with it. I like the interface of MP much more than itunes, you can do more nifty things, name your files how you want, and it automatically gets me a picture of the album cover off the net, itunes doesn't do that. So I rip all my music in media player and then put it on my ipod with itunes.

If I was getting, with my money not works this time, a music player, I would like one i could just drag MP3 and picture files onto in explorer and it would play them and have them in the folders / do random songs. Does anything do that?
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:41 am

i use a philips go gear player.. its realy great. not only is it an mp3 player but its also a thumb drive am/fm radio and audio recorder. its only 512 mb but it will play any music file type and like i said its a frikin thumb drive too... good battery life on it. i enjoy having it even tho i dont get to use it often
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:48 am

Kifle wrote:

With 4gb of space, having one video on there for a long trip plus music is pretty sweet imo. The only way most people can fill up the larger ipods is by downloading everything they may have liked in the past 10 years or so. I can easily fit quite a few hours of listening on to a 1-2gb storage drive, so having an extra 2gigs spare for one or two movies is pretty good for people like me who don't need the shaft theme song on their ipod :)

thats an assload of assumptions kifle. let me tell you a little bit about what i do with my toshiba gigabeat s.

I have my tivo2 set to download certian shows, and then it sync's the shows to the gigabeat s (provided there is room) i travel with about 2gb of spare space on the gigabeat, and i delete most episodes after i watch them. In an age of portable media high storage capacity is needed to cope with HDTV and other storage intense forms of media. The media player is no longer just a music player, and i no longer have to be home to watch "My name is Earl"

Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:31 am

you watch my name is earl rux? i thought that was YOU on the show! muhaha

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Feb 27, 2006 5:52 am

Ruxur wrote:
Kifle wrote:

thats an assload of assumptions kifle. let me tell you a little bit about what i do with my toshiba gigabeat s.

I have my tivo2 set to download certian shows, and then it sync's the shows to the gigabeat s (provided there is room) i travel with about 2gb of spare space on the gigabeat, and i delete most episodes after i watch them. In an age of portable media high storage capacity is needed to cope with HDTV and other storage intense forms of media. The media player is no longer just a music player, and i no longer have to be home to watch "My name is Earl"

1) never told you to get one.

2) never said You didn't do otherwise with yours.

3) never said everyone.

4) nobody I personally know who owns an ipod or comperable (definately over 20) has filled theirs up with songs they repeatedly listen to.

5) never made any assumption you're trying to argue with me here.

6) my original comment was only that nanos are capable of video playback.

7) the only other thing I was implying is that 4gb is more than enough for somebody such as the OP who doesn't need 400gb of portable storage so that he can carry around 50 episodes of the OC.

If he wants a small portable music solution, doesn't need it to give him a BJ and cook him dinner, and may want video on it at some point, a nano seems pretty good. That's all I'm saying. Anything else you took from that is what you wanted to take from that.

amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:08 pm

whats that saying? oh yea...

arguing on the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win. your still retarted.

give it up guys nobody likes the attacks and its very annoying to try and find the important parts of a discussion with all the filth spewed out.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:20 pm

I like my iPod ... since all you can probably do at work is listen to it anyway why spend the cash on the extra fancy stuff

can either use the earbuds provided or buy a relatively inexpensive set of speakers for ti
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:07 pm

sorry kif, im not REALLY trying to argue here, i just get a little wound up sometimes. But yeah, i see your point, thats what alot of people currently do with thier media players. However as more and more people figure out whats possible with the devices, more options are going to come avaliable. Buy smart so your not stuck wanting to upgrade in 6 months to a year.

Kifle wrote:
Ruxur wrote:
Kifle wrote:

1) never told you to get one.

2) never said You didn't do otherwise with yours.

3) never said everyone.

4) nobody I personally know who owns an ipod or comperable (definately over 20) has filled theirs up with songs they repeatedly listen to.

5) never made any assumption you're trying to argue with me here.

6) my original comment was only that nanos are capable of video playback.

7) the only other thing I was implying is that 4gb is more than enough for somebody such as the OP who doesn't need 400gb of portable storage so that he can carry around 50 episodes of the OC.

If he wants a small portable music solution, doesn't need it to give him a BJ and cook him dinner, and may want video on it at some point, a nano seems pretty good. That's all I'm saying. Anything else you took from that is what you wanted to take from that.

oh and also, i reccomended the nano until he told me his price range. after i heard he was wanting something cheap, i switched to a creative player

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:11 pm

there are no attacks in this thread. Nor is there any filth. Go baste your ham or something. (this still is not an attack)

amolol wrote:whats that saying? oh yea...

arguing on the internet is like the special olympics... even if you win. your still retarted.

give it up guys nobody likes the attacks and its very annoying to try and find the important parts of a discussion with all the filth spewed out.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:19 pm

Ruxur wrote:there are no attacks in this thread. Nor is there any filth. Go baste your ham or something. (this still is not an attack)

amolol wrote:whats that saying? oh yea...

Agreed. The only attack I see is you calling me and rux retarded based on a false assumption. Ruxur likes to touch my taint with his tongue -- why would I ever make him mad? He'd stop pleasing my mangina :(

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:02 am

I think you guys are retarded because you guys are retarded. That's not a false assumption!

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:21 am

Dalar wrote:I think you guys are retarded because you guys are retarded. That's not a false assumption!

Not going to argue with that... will you change my diaper and bring me a new drool cup please?

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:22 am

Get out of my thread you homersensuals.

Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:35 am

bend me over and i'll call you daddy!

bumped!

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:07 pm

umm yeah, minoFAGal, that made 0 sense.

hitting the bottle pretty hard lateley eh?

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Mar 01, 2006 8:10 pm

What came first, the concept of noob, or Ruxur?

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:10 am

Quaking wraiths came first.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:51 pm

sigh, somethings will never be lived down.

Say what you want about that run grigsby, but it yielded a gura corpse. I consider that a small victory, Sok would be proud of the gura downgrade.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:46 pm

Did you ever figure anything out, buddy? I was actually thinking of getting something for an upcomming trip to chicago on monday. I'll probably use it in the gym as well. I was going to get the 1gig nano, but after reading all of these compatability issues, I'm not so sure anymore.

So, what does it take to actually put songs on an ipod? Do you HAVE to use itunes for downloading or just transfering from the pc to the ipod? Gracias.

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:17 pm

no you dont HAVE to use itunes. But you do have to use some sort of media player like winamp. I have never used winamp with the ipod, but i am told that it is possible.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:29 pm

Ruxur wrote:no you dont HAVE to use itunes. But you do have to use some sort of media player like winamp. I have never used winamp with the ipod, but i am told that it is possible.

You can't just drag and drop the files into the ipods storage? I had a very small creative product that works like that. I guess I just don't understand why there'd be such a limitation to functionality -- or even how transfering media could be controlled in that fashion.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:16 am

Think I'm going to get a Zen Neeon after much thinking. However, they don't ever have the color I want in stock so maybe not! :p

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:20 am

yes you can kifle, but if you want the functions that a media management solution gives, like playlists and stuff like that, you have to use winamp or something like it. technically you could just drop the files in and it would work, and you could drop the playlists in there too and it would pick them up (provided they were in the right folder) but you would have to have winamp or something like it to do the playlist in the first place.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”