"The spoon hits the fan."

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
moritheil
Sojourner

\"The spoon hits the fan.\"

Postby moritheil » Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:27 pm

OK, first off, I am sorry to Jurdex, Hympha, Adriorn, etc for disappearing abruptly Saturday afternoon.

Second, I have no idea what I'm doing with my immediate future.

I have no time. Despite this, I've been trying to show up every once in a while, nab a little xp, talk to everyone, and log. Sometimes this is done heavily semiafk. But its goddamn ridiculous. I keep dying. I die more while solo exping than I did when I was zoning. It's all due to obligations... I have to exp solo because I can't get a group to drag me along afk. I need to solo efficiently, because everyone keeps riding my ass to get levels. and I need to solo quickly, because you wouldn't believe the dirty looks you get for doing semiafk soloing where you afk 5 minutes between runs and have a commonly used mob sitting around at few wounds. But I do not have the time; I am AFK, and therefore something inevitably goes awry after about 10 runs. (bash crit crit!) And wouldn't you know it, ress is not infallible. Add this to the fact that I get in HUGE fights with RL people every time I get on about "wasting my time"; I have relatives lecturing me about addictions and inefficient use of time and the like.

I don't know where to start with how this is all wrong. Frankly, I'm not sure I know what to do anymore.

I want to do this, and I want to do my other RL junk, and it used to all run together OK. But it's all stopped working out, on BOTH fronts. There's no way in hell I can maintain status in either place. IF this sounds like a rant, btw, it IS.

-frustrated friendly neighborhood barker.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:09 pm

PS - what I mean by semiafk/afk is that invariably someone walks in and forces me to switch screens for a minute. This was never a problem in a group, but solo, this is deadly. (This is not deadly at lower levels... just at higher levels)
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Feb 23, 2002 6:42 pm

Whatchoo talkin 'bout Willis?

Snurgt take no prisoner
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Feb 23, 2002 7:52 pm

"The Man" is coming down on poor Chico.. or Moritheil. My apologies, fellow Faerunian, I've had that problem in the past, and it gets so much better once you move out.. Have patience.

Yayaril
Azzzmohazzz
Sojourner

Postby Azzzmohazzz » Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:32 am

Moritheil, don't stretch yourself out man, if you've gotta take a break or take more time, we'll still be waiting here when you get back. Nothing ruins good mudding like being stressed out and unable to focus on it, just save it for a time in yer life when you've got time in yer life Image. Don't worry, with any luck it'll be soon.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Feb 25, 2002 3:57 pm

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

Mori, do what ya gotta do to help life settle down, we arent' going anywhere.

Toplack *burp* Frostbear
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:18 am

Lets make a log of Gormal vs his parents over Mudding.

The Computer Room
Room Size: tiny [5x4x5]
Due to lack of ventilation this room has the lingering odor of something long dead. Crumbs and dirty dishes lines the cheap wooden desk like a post apocolyptic battlefield. The grey carpeting is littered with crumbled papers and stains from beer spilled in angry late night sessions.

Mom stands here fuming. (troll)
Jake sits here enjoying himself thouroughly. (dwarf)

Mom says 'get off the computer!'

Jake says 'umm how about it doesn't work that way? I can't just get right off'

Mom says 'I don't care this is my house and you will do what I say!'

Jake says 'how about you go calm down and become reasonable before having a fit?'

Mom leaves west.

Jake snickers softly to himself.

Mom enters from the west.
Dad enters from the west.

Dad says 'do as your mother says now! You are wasting your life playing this game!'

Jake says 'I spent the last two days playing video games on my playstation and reading...I didn't even go outside after I finished my morning run. How is that ok and this isnt?'

Dad says 'its completely different!'

Jake says 'hrm you must be more enlightened then me.'

Dad growls.

parents + mudding = suck
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:35 am

ROFL!

That's too much Gormal Image
Tuga
Sojourner

Postby Tuga » Tue Feb 26, 2002 11:15 am

ROFL!!!
Gormal you are obsessed.
I swear I gonna loose my job coz I'm laughing so hard.

Tuga the Sunless Troll rolls on the floor laughing here.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>
Mom stands here fuming. (troll)
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:06 pm

Bwahahahaha!

I'm curious how you got to be a dwarf w/ a troll for a mom?

Toplack
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 26, 2002 2:51 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Bwahahahaha!

I'm curious how you got to be a dwarf w/ a troll for a mom?

Toplack</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What, you didn't know that breeding a Troll and a Goat gets you a Dorf?
Notice how he didn't put his fathers race in there? Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
gnerble
Sojourner

Postby gnerble » Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:10 pm

Man Gormal that is funny as all hell.

The first rays of sunlight signal the approaching day.

Mrs. Gnerble strides in from the north.

Mrs. Gnerble ROARS!

You're in the middle of Manscorpions!
PANIC! You couldn't escape!

Mrs. Gnerble leaves north.

[stand]

You clamber to your feet.

[north]

Outside the Computer Room, in the Loft
-E-S

[east]

Outside the Master Bedroom
-E#-W

[open door e]

It seems to be locked.

[pout]

Don't take it so hard.

Yeah I think we all have our own logs
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:28 pm

OMG you guys are KILLING me!!!!!!! ROFL

I have actually been locked out from staying up *too late* mudding .. rofl rofl

jesus all the people i work with are thinking im insane!!! I've got tears running down my face .. rofl

-Jen
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:33 am

Actually I wrote a few psuedo logs years ago... Ehh, those who have them, have them.

I just came back today from a 2-week (I think?) self-imposed exile.

Thanks guys.

PS: exiled myself to study like mad for tests, but I'm not sure I did much better Image
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:56 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>Actually I wrote a few psuedo logs years ago... Ehh, those who have them, have them.

I just came back today from a 2-week (I think?) self-imposed exile.

Thanks guys.

PS: exiled myself to study like mad for tests, but I'm not sure I did much better Image</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A Home Office
This is a small chamber is dominated by a large computer desk. Pilled on top of the arcane device are overhanging mountains of various insidious publications and jars of long forgotten preservatives. Cryptic tomes hang like skeletal hands from carved shelves in the cavern wall, spilling out of their holders to plop onto the soft velvet floor. A throne stands here, littered with runes of lifeless and zoned out humanoids. A shimmering cube of crystal rests in front of it, accompanied by a sparkling dead rat, and a small finger bone piano.
Room Size: 12x10x8
Exits: -S
A lifeless corpse sits here staring into space.

l at corpse

This lingering dead being has long sense lost its’ sensibilities, and now endlessly makes mindless motions with it's hands in a futile gesture of reclaiming a forgotten life. One could almost mistake the corpse for terrible undead zombie or lich, but alas, the breath of life just barely continues to beat within this ones tortured soul. As you stare at him, you wonder what could have caused such a condition.

Dad enters from the south.

Dad says ‘what are you doing? Playing games still?’

Caedym says ‘Leave me alone, I’m mudding for a test!’

Dad scratches his head.

Dad leaves south.

You hear a loud exclamation in the background.

Dad enters from the south.

Dad growls ‘well I want a full report of your studies!’

Caedym says ‘Don’t worry, I’m logging the whole thing! J’

Perhaps you should contact me. Never ceased to amaze my parents and friends how my grades went up after I started mudding. 1.0 to a 3.5. That shuddemup pretty good. It only got better as the years went by. Finally graduated with a 4.0

-Caedym "Master of Best results with absolute minimal effort" Shadowhock
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:40 am

Teach me teach me!
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:29 am

An old family room in a split level home.
This room was once the gathering place of the family that resides here. Not is seems to have been transformed into a cacoon for the duo known as Kallinar and Eza. A bed lies in the far corner with rumpled sheets and old, well broken in pillows. Two desks can be seen back to back with various computer parifanalia lying about. Network cables run from three computers to a little blinking switch on one of the desks, and the light glowing from the monitors give the room a peaceful feeling of solitude. The faint smell of Nag Champa hangs in the air here.
Exits: #East

Kallinar sits here in a daze surrounded by empty Pepsi cans and a mound of cigarette butts.

Eza sits here pulling her hair in a daze surrounded by half empty Coke cans and a HUGE mound of cigarette butts

In the distance a knocking can be heard.

Eza shouts, 'WHAT!?!'

A small child wimpers at the doorway about something unimportant.

Eza shouts, 'Feck off!'

a black cat digs its claws into your leg as it tries to get attention.

Kallinar grunts.

Eza says, 'Whats wrong with you?'

Kallinar mumbles, 'Nothin.'

Eza says more persistantly, 'WHATS WRONG WITH YOU??!!'

Kallinar grumbles to himself quietly.

Kallinar says, 'Nothin dammit.'

Eza says, 'Fine.'

Eza returns to staring at the sceen of her monitor.

Kallinar rolls another cigarette ans starts puffing.

Typical evening in my room :P

Kallinar
Caedym
Sojourner

Postby Caedym » Tue Mar 05, 2002 2:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
Teach me teach me!</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First and formost, and you MUST abide by this rule or all is for naught:
After you come home from class, you can NOT MUD until you finish all homework and studies!

This is hard at first, but you eventually learn that it's far better to mud until 6am knowing you're ready for class the next day as oppossed to feeling guilty as hell for not doing wut you shoulda done. Your fatigue will limit your mudding time, instead of your study time, because your desire to MUD will espeediate your willingness to get your studies done.

Also, look at mudding as your STUDY BREAK. After you complete your homework, and done some studying (my best method was to recopy my notes of the day into a more organized and readable notebook. Typing it up in word works too and then printing it out into a 3 ring binder.) Never forget, copying your notes IS STUDYING!

My nights used to look like this:
1)Come home from class.
2)Do whatever few things I need around the house done quickly.
3)Eat while doing homework/assignments due for next day.
4)Check school homework schedule to see wut's in store for tomorrow nights worth of homework and any other forthcoming assignments.
5)Copy todays class notes so that I can UNDERSTAND WTF I WROTE. This is the best time to do this, tomorrow you WILL FORGET 80% of what was with the notes. So make your notes complete in detail.
6)If all the above only took about an hour, see if I can get started on the next nights work ahead of time, or atleast prep it. Should do atleast 2 hours of homework/study'n a night. Trust me, 2 hours is a HELL of a lot better then 12 last minute hours of cramming throughout a night.
7)2'ish hours are up! MUD TIME BABY! MUD for 3-4 hours and burn it out. Keep your notebook out. For first hour of mudding, memorize one half a page of your notes. (I don't mean photographic, more like fill-in-the-blank memory and knowing keywords for the most part. Although photographic never hurts mind you) and during each mem'up recite them, write them down, or even better do both.

Remember Skywalker, MemTime = Great times to study little itsy bitsy pieces of class info. If you are reciting your studies outloud while you are mudding, your parents will just hear you STUDYING!! And if you are writing it down as well, you can throw it in their face. "LOOK I'm studying mom! Now git cuz you're messing up my concentration!"

If they give you some crap about the text scrolling by on the monitor, say "It's like music to me mom. Almost everyone listens to music while they study."

So as each hour passes mudding, you select another section of notes to convert to memory. Think of it like real life spellcasting! You're memming your spells!

Once you've studied your days notes, hell, then just MUD the rest of the night until you pass out or class starts. Hardcore leaders will love how you stick around for those late night CR's.

Sleep? That's wut lunch is for. But seriously, your fatigue will limit how late you mud now, and soon you'll be sleeping like an elf. (They don't sleep, they just kinda zone out.. like when you mud :P)

I did this day in and day out for 3 months, with weekends turning into sleep-a-thons instead of class time. So much infact, that when I came home for Xmas vacation, I slept for 24 hours straight. Thing was.. I thought I only needed a nap!

I even learned to just stop mudding after 4 hours and study again or go eat or pass out or do things that guys do.

Moral:
Mem = Memorization of notes time
Spellcasting = the art of doing your school work.

-Caedym _HolyHellI'mDraggingOnAndOnAndOn_ Shadowhock
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:49 pm

Caedym,

Fabulous outlook, looks like a system that will get you through school, enjoy your mudding, and eventually get you a great job. With that kind of organization, creativity, and self discipline, you'll do well in life.

Toplack *wishes he'd done more of that* Frostbear
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Mar 06, 2002 11:06 pm

At long last! shared secrets!

Thank you thank you!

Upgrade bards!

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”