Old age...

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Kifle
Sojourner

Old age...

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:24 am

My once mighty metabolism just sent me the divorce papers. It could be that I'm lazy and spend most days in front of the TV, on the computer, or doing homework, but I'd like to think it is mother nature telling me that I'm just getting closer to my own pine box.

When I work-out I've always had the problem of gaining muscle but not losing fat or loosing weight but not fat. I'm beggining to think my body has entered into some sort of unholy contract with my fat content. Anyway, I'm sure there are a few of you here that are knowledgeable in the area of working out so I was wondering if you could shoot me a few pointers -- and the whole diet + working out thing isn't very specific as I've done it many times and failed.

Hook a honkey up.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:14 am

Hi Bro,

ROFL, Course im not a "honkey" but I got some pointers for ya. I workout quite regularly, every day in fact. I think whats been good for me in staying toned, muscular, low body fat has been a combination of three things.

A workout involving weights, combined with a good cardio workout, combine all that with a good healthy diet. Good home cooking, vegatables, salads, fruits. TRy cutting out the eatting outs, the fast food (YUK i wouldnt eat at fast food places at all), and the junk stuff. Also watch your portion sizes, portion sizes at most restaurants tend to be 2-3 times more than a regular serving size. I use a food scale when i cook. I live alone so when i make stuff i devide it out into serving size tupperware containers and when i get home thats my meal. Well balanced and well portioned. Remember, a diet of particular types of food does no good if your eatting huge portions.

Also combine your workout with an abs workout every night.

You'll find if you stick too it it will work wonders. Also If ya go out to eat lunches at work, try eating lighter lunches or salads.

I find if ya stick to this program it will work for you. I really have to watch my diet and the kind of foods I can and can not eat for medical reasons. I work out to keep my body active and healthy.

Just a few pointers that I have found works good for me.

Nilan
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:10 pm

Portion control is my downfall. Research and common sense both tell you that if you put more food on your plate, you'll eat more food. Go to a place like Chipotle, where the "single portion" is more food than any one person should eat in a single meal, and your brain will trick you into consuming more food than you normally would.

For me, the first step was realizing that I don't need to eat "a little more than one portion" of food. I've lived my life with a quick metabolism, and I've taught myself that I need to eat a regular portion "and then some" to be full. So if I went to McD's, I'd get a combo meal and a chicken sandwich, or I'd order a side dish with my meal at a restaurant. Just cutting out the extra has done wonders for me... I haven't lost much weight, but I've levelled off at least.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:45 pm

if your like me, simply switching from soda to something like green tea or water will save you about 1000 calories a day.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:42 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. Before the holidays I was on a diet and had cut out pop and most drinks with sugar -- basically drank water all the time. I mostly ate salads and turkey sandwiches. I'd run a mile every day and do light weights (was trying to loose weight, not gain it). Anyway, I ended up losing about 3lbs per week and gained quite a bit of stamina, but for some reason my size was exactly the same -- no fat loss. Is there a way to make sure you're not losing muscle mass along with your fat, or is it an inevitability when on a low calorie diet? Also, where does peanut butter factor into all of this. I'm a peanut butter junkie and that's where I get the majority of my protien.

As far as the portion problem, I've ran into that a lot too. For some reason I feel the need to eat until I'm stuffed or I just don't feel satisfied by the meal. How long does it usually take for your stomach to shrink down to normal size after forcing yourself to eat properly proportioned meals?

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:42 pm

kiryan wrote:if your like me, simply switching from soda to something like green tea or water will save you about 1000 calories a day.

or if you love sodas, simply switch to Diet Rite.

it tastes pretty good and they have like 4 or 5 flavors: strawbeery kiwi, raspberry, etc. and they contain 0 sugar, 0 sodium, 0 caffeine, and 0 calories. i drink mostly juices, diet rite, and water, and eat water ever i want rarely excersise and stay at about the same weight. btw i'm in my late twenties so its not cause i'm super young either.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Cap'n Touk
Sojourner

Postby Cap'n Touk » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:54 pm

The trick for me is finding some kind of endurance / cardiovascular training that I actually LIKE doing. Otherwise I'll get bored and quit.. notice your statement "I _WAS_ on a diet". I'm not on a diet, I don't work out, I have fast food on a regular basis, BUT, I love rock climbing, dancing, diving, volleyball, martial arts, snowboarding etc. etc.

Works for me :)
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:47 am

It's not old age.. it's lifestyle :) Your first problem.. eatting meals..
try snacking, on healthy things a few times a day.. yes have a meal in there or two.. but small meals..
I'm not saying starve yerself.. but when you do eat, try healthier alternatives.. salad is great, but it depends on the type of salad..
and peanut butter is used by guys that lift weights to help bulk them up.. yea it's protein, but don't over do it.. have a lean steak, or some chicken.
Try switchin out some carbs.. brown rice instead of white.. baked potatoe instead of mashed.. there are some very simple lifestyle changes you can make that will help you to shed the weight.. and muscle isn't a bad thing.. muscle helps you burn calories better than flab does ;)
Try a salad with romaine and leaf lettuces, and maybe some raw spinach.. try tossing in some raw cut veggies.. like broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, cucumbers, carrots.. try lite salad dressing, and use it sparingly.. try adding a bit of meat and just a touch of cheese..
Almonds are a good healthy snack..

just a few tips.. and yes they do work.. I've lost 30 lbs in the last year just by doing a few of these simple things.. then again, i've gained 5 with not workin much, cause i'm back to where i hardly eat again :( ah well summer's almost here and hours will be back up soon :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:10 am

If you are wanting to burn the fat you need to speed up your metabolism a bit. You can do this a couple different ways.
1) Eat several (5-6) small healthy meals a day.
2) There are certain types of food that actually naturally speed up your metabolism.

To actually burn the fat off oyur body to become more toned and defined remember these tips.

1) LOW weight HIGH reps!!!
2) Cardio cardio cardio!
3) Plenty of crunches and flutter kicks and if you feel froggy do some twisted sisters. (Military people will know what I am talking about)
4) To get your carbs for your workout the next day PASTA! for lunch not breakfast or dinner. Lunch!!!!! If you try it for breakfast your body will use that carb energy during the day. If you eat it in the evening The fat will stay on your body since most people usually eat about 2-3 hours before they go to sleep. Eat carbs during your lunch time. Your body burns off the fat intake and stores the carbs for the next days workout!!!

and to get the definition you are wanting find someone or somewhere with a sauna(NOT HOT TUB!!!! Sit in it for at least 20-30 minutes after each workout!!! You will sweat your ass off but you are literally burning the fat off your body. REMEMBER HYDRATE HYDRATE HYDRATE after using a sauna! The heat also stimulates the muscles and helps to recoup faster as well.

Also study how the Japanese eat their foods. It has an order. Cetain things don't touch eat other until it is in your stomach due to enzymes reacting (yada yada yada).
and there are other things. Start off with a veggie, then a small dairy product (i.e.Cottage cheese), main course, then FRUIT!!!! The acid helps break down everything you just ate faster and helps eat part of the fat content before your body processes it. Don't eat as much potatoes it may have carbs but the starches will decrease your energy output. A good source of protein lean red meats and fish. Peanut butter may have protein but the fat from it is way too much. The reason weightlifters use it and eat it like they do is in their gaining season they actually gain weight in fat and then turn the fat into muscle during their lifting season.
Salads are good. Make sure you place at least lettuce, carrots, tomatoes, light amount of swiss or cheddar cheese (NOT PROCESSED), red onion, touch of minced garlic and italian dressing or a light touch of olive oil.
The salad is a good source of ruffage which you always need in a nice healthy diet.
1) Has the necessary vitamins and minerals the body needs to recouperate(sp) faster and maintain itself.
2) Ruffage keeps your bowels regular.
3) Watch using fat free or Lite anything. Read the packaging! usually these lite or fat free items havea higher sodium content which will in turn cause you to retain water which is a BAD thing!

If you do break from this type of diet and workout routine make sure it is on a day you have to workout(before you hae lifted and visited the sauna!).

Also remember don't try to overdo your workout... Since you're not going for bulk you can pretty much workout most all the muscle groups in one setting. But do the weights everyother day. Cardio everyday, Sauna every other day(the same days you work the weights!)

I use to be a work out feind while I spent my time in the military.

L8r all,
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'
You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'
You flee westward!
You group say 'ummm guys?'
Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'
Welcome to toril
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:03 pm

Do some research on the internet. Find out what is myth what is fact about weight loss. Many fitness people will tell you all you need to do to lose weight is a 30 minute walk twice a day, if you dont have time for that make it a 45 minute walk once a day. Many will tell you crunches do not help, simply because it builds muscle under the fat.

Experiment. Even if you only cut down on soda but replace it with water, it will do wonders. To lose effective weight you need water to flush your body with. Most reccomend 10 8 ounce glasses a day, even with the other fluids you drink. Eight ounces of sofa do not equal a glass of water, thats just one more glass you have to drink.

I agree with Touk a LOT. What works for others may not work for you, you have to find what YOU like and stick to it. Deciding to go to the gym every day may work for some but for me, I'd get burned out. I love to walk and I love the elipticle machine, you may not. But they are low impact, easy to do things.

Duna, I gotta laugh when you say eat baked potato over mashed. Err whats the difference? :P Even if he only uses butter and no sour cream, its still a potato ... and most people I know make mashed with butter and milk... If anything cut out the butter and top boiled potato with salsa and low fat cheese. Salsa is Fat free and YUMMY.

So speaks the 1055 pound Ogre!

woot!

Nokar, I spent 20 years in the military, what the hell is a twisted sister? And why sauna? It feels great but is really ineffective. You go into sauna, lose a pound or two, get out and gorge on water. Hrrm..
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:37 pm

the baked over mashed has more to do with portion control... I"ve seen people eat a pile of mashed potatoes that would equal about 2 baked potatoes.. plus with baked you do cut out all the butter, etc..
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:17 pm

The first meal of the day for me is often dinner. I've never been a breakfast person. I usually forget to eat during the day because I am very busy with work. Thus, I usually haven't put anything into my mouth until 6pm or so.

You would think I'm losing weight, but actually I'm not. Turns out that I have trained my body to essentially expect a feeding at around 3-4 AM. Thats right.. I wake up in the middle of the night and have, for lack of a better term, my lunch. So not only am I sleeping on a full stomach, but I'm turning into a semi-insomniac.

Nonetheless, I am a good weight. But everyone tells me in a few years my body is going to self destruct. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:02 pm

Ambar wrote:Nokar, I spent 20 years in the military, what the hell is a twisted sister? And why sauna? It feels great but is really ineffective. You go into sauna, lose a pound or two, get out and gorge on water. Hrrm..

Sit-up position feet 12 inches off deck, crunch, then twist your upper body while scissoring your legs alternating right over left, left over right. Works the whole ab group.

Yes use a sauna. You don't gorge yourself afterwards. Simply re-hydrate yourself. Most of the water you intake after this you will unrinte or sweat it out. Provided you don't have high sodium foods in your diet.. Heck, there's people who sweat off 5-8lbs. within 36 hours of a fight to reach the proper weigh in. I don't recommend this type of action since it can cause major dehydration. But a sauna, ot a hot tub or a steam room, works wonders if used properly.

ALso, If you have the equipment, hitting the heavy bag is another good cardio workout. As well as a good toning and defining workout. Shadow boxing with hand and foot weights, even using a divers belt.

Kifle sounded like he wanted to lower his percentage of total body fat). The routine I used before, during and after my stint in the military served that purpose. Last pt I took I was at 6.2% body fat weighing in at 172 lbs.
since about 11 years ago I stopped working out and just working I've lost a considerable amount of muscle and put on a bit of fat. Once I get me a place built to house all my workout equipment, gimme about 2 1/2-3 months and I'll take the fat off and then start adding muscle back. *shrug*

L8r all,
Rhoquinn group says 'Nok no wandering!'

You group say 'Is there any aggro's here?'

You flee westward!

You group say 'ummm guys?'

Rhoquinn group says 'Dammit Nok'

Welcome to toril
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:51 pm

Nokar wrote: Heck, there's people who sweat off 5-8lbs. within 36 hours of a fight to reach the proper weigh in.

Back when I wrestled, I was cutting 20-25 pounds between Monday morning and Thursday evening. It all went back on over the weekend though. I'd gain about 10 lbs after weigh in from rehydrating, then gain another 10-15 pounds by Sunday. At the time I was 2.8% bodyfat. Workout routine was about 5 miles of running in the morning, then morning practice, then weights for about an hour during the day, then afternoon practice, then another 3-5 mile run in the evening. Of course it played hell with my body and now I'm about as tall as a dwarf :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:05 pm

Ambar wrote:Eight ounces of sofa do not equal a glass of water, thats just one more glass you have to drink.

Lol, I don't think I'd ever intake 8oz. of sofa.

Anyway, yeah, last time I did this I did a shit ton of research on the net and got so many mixed "fopinions" that I was more confused than before. I actually love running the mile on the treadmill...well, not love it, but it doesn't take long and I feel great after. I also really like doing freeweights while and after I'm doing them -- it's really a motivation and a time problem with me. Even still, I'd never lose the fat, just gain muscle or lose weight. I think it had a lot to do with the sharp change in dietary habits more than anything, but I stuck with it for a good 2.5 months with about 14-16lbs lost but no real size difference...maybe a bit of the gut was lost, but nothing to justify 1hr workouts 4 times week.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I started up the workout a few days ago, so we'll see how it goes this time.

Also, Corth, even if it's just a cereal bar in the morning, you really really should eat something for breakfast. It starts your metabolism instead of it still being in sleep mode.

And Nokar, I have no idea wtf a flutter kick is and I usually do the situps where you touch your left elbow to your right knee...not sure if those are good, but I do wussy crunches if my back or neck isn't feeling good that day.

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:17 pm

the military has the most ridiculous name for exercises ;P

a flutter kick .. imgine yourself flat on your back, legs 6" in the air, hands implanted under butt .. kick your legs so they never touch the floor, 12" up 6" down, or make it more *fun* and kick higher .. the idea is to do it slow so your belly burns like hell .... there are several variations of this same thing .. grumble .. many hrs of doing it :(
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:34 pm

Nilan wrote:Hi Bro,

ROFL, Course im not a "honkey" but I got some pointers for ya. I workout quite regularly, every day in fact. I think whats been good for me in staying toned, muscular, low body fat has been a combination of three things.

A workout involving weights, combined with a good cardio workout, combine all that with a good healthy diet. Good home cooking, vegatables, salads, fruits. TRy cutting out the eatting outs, the fast food (YUK i wouldnt eat at fast food places at all), and the junk stuff. Also watch your portion sizes, portion sizes at most restaurants tend to be 2-3 times more than a regular serving size. I use a food scale when i cook. I live alone so when i make stuff i devide it out into serving size tupperware containers and when i get home thats my meal. Well balanced and well portioned. Remember, a diet of particular types of food does no good if your eatting huge portions.

Also combine your workout with an abs workout every night.

You'll find if you stick too it it will work wonders. Also If ya go out to eat lunches at work, try eating lighter lunches or salads.

I find if ya stick to this program it will work for you. I really have to watch my diet and the kind of foods I can and can not eat for medical reasons. I work out to keep my body active and healthy.

Just a few pointers that I have found works good for me.

Nilan

Let me just say i got tire reading that. i'm taking a break right this moment. hope the soda and kitkat bar will re-energize me for the next post.

supersize soker
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:38 pm

Cap'n Touk wrote:The trick for me is finding some kind of endurance / cardiovascular training that I actually LIKE doing. Otherwise I'll get bored and quit.. notice your statement "I _WAS_ on a diet". I'm not on a diet, I don't work out, I have fast food on a regular basis, BUT, I love rock climbing, dancing, diving, volleyball, martial arts, snowboarding etc. etc.

Works for me :)

cap'n touk, you sound like the person woman for me.

superactive soker
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:46 pm

so here is something that i have learned in cullinary school. because we are also taking nutrition classes and such we learn very interesting thingsd about diets. like the fact that you cannot go onto a diet to permanently lose weight.

loose 5-15 lbs to fit into a dress or swimsuit or whatever for a season or a week or whatever they work very well. but you cannot diet to lose 5-15 lb and expect to keep it off. what a diet does is it deprives your body of those essential but annoying things like cholesterol carbohydrates ect ect ect.

after a week of not having them you will start to lose weight yes. but as soon as you take even 1 carb or 1 measure of cholesterol your body will store it thinking that there will be another shortage soon. so when you get off of your diet you will gain more weight that you just had.

if you want to change your weight with food then instead of going on a short term diet make the commitment and just dont eat the bad kinds of foods if you are a big person like myself and you feel that you need ore food to fill yourself have extra salad or veggies instead of extra meat or carbs. i am a soda adict, i used to go through 4-6 litres a day. so i now ration myself i am allowed 2 cans of soda a day. one for lunch and 1 for dinner.

things like this. long term changes are what it takes. i will list some healtier options to things that taste just as good and are better for you.

rice. use brown rice or barley instead.
bread. switch to hole grain breads or even wheat as opposed to white.
beef/veal use lamb instead (if you can afford it) if not have more land poultry. duck and goose are worse for you.

if you luike fish. try to get wild fish instead of aqua farm fish. aqua farm fish have less room to move around and therfore have a higher fat content.

belive it or not pork is a good alternative if you go for the right areas of the pig. stay away from the belly. have things like the ham pork chops or the boston butt.

if you must eat beef/veal choose wisely. eat more roasts than styeaks. they have more fat on them yet but you can remove alot of the outside fat. and when cooked the right way are just as good if not better than sirloin.

if you like meat stick near the rump shoulder and leg sections. these muscles get the most work so they have less fat. the problem is that they are tougher. but with the right knowledge and care they can be great for dinner/lunch.

if you like soda and can stop bit still crave sweet bubbly concoctions. get sparkling waters. now calories and they are very good.

eat lots of red vegetables. they are loaded with antioxidents which will help flush your system. any red vegetable or fruit is good for this. even a little red wine (mind the calories).

if you feel hungry during the day instead of having a snack drink a glass of water. more often than not it is your body telling you that you are thirstry. (when aplicable drink ice water. your body will use more calories to warm the water sothat it will become digestable.)

try to stay away from anything premade ready to heat on the go ect ect ect they have loads and loads of chemicals that will stick to your ribs so to speak. because your body does not naturally break these things down your body will either store them or it will work over time to break them down hence making you hungry again due to lack of calories.

there is a very long winded but effective way to try abnd balance your diet.

if you are still hungry after a meal have more vegetable, drink ice water during the day instead of having alot of little snacks. dont buy anything from a vending maching or ready to eat. avoid fast food (if you have a hankering eat at taco bell)

if you guys want recipies for healtier food that is easy to prepare and tastes GREAT!

http://www.forumfire.com/viewforum.php? ... =torilinfo
i try to keep it updated but i have been falling behind recently due to some inconviniences.
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Sat Apr 08, 2006 2:23 am

I've never had a weight problem, but i have learned a few things about nutrition while in college.

One of the most important things is your calorie intake VS. calorie usage. If your body is burning more calories than you're intaking, then it gets the extra energy from the fat stored in your body.

As far as carbs go - eat them sparingly. Your body breaks everything down into glucose, which it then uses as energy. Carbs are very easy to break down into glucose, so it happens very quickly. If the glucose is not used your body will convert it into fat and store it, so essentially unused carbs == fat.

If you're hungry i've learned to eat things with MONOunsaturated fats and protien. Due to the chemical makeup of MONOunsaturated fats your body has a much easier time of breaking down their chemical structures and converting the fat into glucose. Also, eating some fat is good, because it supplies your body with a long lasting fuel. I cannot stress the MONOunsaturated part enough. POLYunsaturated fat isn't bad for you, but it doesn't give you sustained energy like MONOunsaturated fat does. Avoid saturated fat.

Nuts are a good source of both protien and both types of unsaturated fats. When i'm hungry at work i usually eat peanuts or cashews. I get the salted type, but if your'e trying to lose weight go for the unsalted ones, because they won't cause your body to retain water.

In one of my psychology classes I learned a few things about your brain and hunger.

1). There is a delay between when you eat food and your brain registers it, so you may still "feel" hungry, but that's only because your brain hasn't registered what you just ate.

2). Other people have hit on this, but portion size is very important. If you eat 1600-1800 calories a day, you may still "feel" hungry, but that is a response from your brain because it is used to getting 2000+ calories. Instead of listening to your body on if you should eat or not, keep a mental list of how many calories you've had in a day.

Eatting small meals several times a day is a great idea. Not only do you tend to eat less, but it keeps your body's blood sugar level at a constant. If your blood sugar spikes and drops throughout the day, your body doesn't know if it should burn its stored fat for energy or not.

Be careful about cutting calories and not exercising. This will result in your body lowering its metabolism to compensate for the reduction in calories.
Marrus
Sojourner

Postby Marrus » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:58 am

I feel sorry for all you big-boned people.

Not really.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Apr 18, 2006 2:02 am

Marrus' diet consists of cheese and w(h)ine. Stupid ignorant Frenchman.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Gruy
Sojourner

Postby Gruy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:12 am

Its hard to say kifle.. because in reality most ppl are different and what works wonders for someone may not work for you.. as for most of whats above.. doesnt work for me hehe but here is what i do daily none the less.

4am wake up call:
! mile job wearing 30lbs in body weights. ( start out walkin if you dont jog or anything regularly unless you have good insurance that will cover ambulance ride:p) note: wear body weights on upper body sections)

2: small breakfast (2 slices of real wheat toast with lowfat butter and an orange or 2 or some sort of fruit and water)

3: small snack and lunch usually more fruit or a salad or perhaps something else light on carbs.

4: afternoon around 430 ish i do a mild upper body workout ( i use 5 lbs weights to do it cause its not the weight of the object that tones its that you execute and extend properly) i do 4-5 diff types of arm workouts with 2 reps of 30 in combination with military style crunches for ab works

5: small portioned snack fruit or a light sandwich or something and then dinner with a salad and small portion of some sort of meat or chicken or fish. then i may do a snack before bed if i feel like it.( but eating close to bed is always bad cause your body doesnt work it off)

thats what i try to do daily. and at first i didnt notice a loss in lbs but in body fat % big time and im steadily getting back to where i was pre-injuries back when martial arts was all i did 8 hours a day hehe:p

hope that helps some!

btw soda can be OK if it is diet and has no carbs but the sodium is still a killer.. if you can cut out all soda and if you drink tons of it you will notice a difference just from doing that..

at first you may notice a loss in energy but as will anything that has caffine that is to be expected:p

i forgot to mention that you may think your hungry eating the smaller portions but as long as you do 5-6 small portions a day its mainly your mind just playing a trick on you cause you look down and see little bits of food and your brains yells WHERES THE CREAM FILLING?? hehe good luck
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Our dietician suggested a snack before bed, but keep it small so you don't wake up with the instant FEED ME NOW DAMMIT sensation after fasting for 7 hours.

Her suggestion was two sheets of graham crackers with Peanut butter, and a 12 oz glass of skim milk.

Anything else was pretty much portions, exercise and lots of water. Diet Sodas with meals are okay, just make sure you get the water in.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:12 pm

I'm seeing a lot of you guys talk about sodium like it were jeff dahmer -- what's the deal? I know it makes you retain water, but it eventually will be sweat or pissed out, right? So wouldn't that only really matter if you needed quick weight loss like back in highschool wrestling or something? BTW, I only drink about 1 12oz can of pop a day (most times not even that) in the morning for an energy boost. Other than that I drink mostly water and tea. My biggest problem is not eating every time I get a bit less full...damn hunger! I guess this would be so much easier if I was overweight and "needed" to do it, but this is more of a "want to be healthy + get rid of the age belly" type of thing.

Anyway, thanks a shit ton for the suggestions guys. I'm trying a few, and there's a few I tried before that didn't work for me -- basically, keep with the different ideas because it may be a while before I find something that actually works.

Oh, as a side note about workouts. Is it true that crunches wont burn fat in the belly, bench press in the arms, etc... and that any workout burns fat uniformly; or, is it that to burn fat in the gut you do crunches, etc...?

malakwee
Sojourner

Postby malakwee » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:21 am

Folks here sure do know what they talk about... To me it is both about diet and workout... Before i go into that just need to know several facts about weight loss:

1) Think of our body as a good investor... It will invest the extra energy we have into the most efficient form...

1gm of fat will contain a lot more energy than 1gm of amino acid... so if there is any extra energy, our body will store it as fat first.

2) Our body is also efficient... It will take the easiest body strand to break and turn into energy...

Since amino acid is the easiest form to break-up, that will be burnt first... unless when we do exercises. Am not a doctor and am not sure what happens during exercise (increased metabolism? secretion of certain enzyme?) However during cardio excercise our body tend to burn the fat first for energy instead.

3) The more muscle to fat ratio that u have the better your metabolism will be (that is what i hear... i may be very wrong since am no doctor :P) The more metabolism u have the better you are able to burn of what you take.

Now to the next part.

If u diet without excercise u will end up worse at the end of the road

Imagine this (as an exagerated example):

At point A, u start a severe dieting program without workout... you weigh 150lbs with muscle to fat ratio of say 3:1.

At point B, u managed to lose weight... you now weight 100lbs ... but remember without excercise, you body has been burning off you amino acid (that is your muscle) instead of your fat. So your muscle to fat ration is now worse, say 2:1. That means your metabolism is now lower as well. Your body is also attuned to you 'starving' it out.

At some point C, u say, 'what the hell... I look great! a few rewards wont change me!' and u eat your heart out. Your body, learning that u will 'starve' yourself again, will save as much of your excess energy from those meal, again, into the most efficient form... fat!... even with a few of those 'rewards' you will find yourself increasing in weight again... and the bad news at this time is that you will find your muscle to fat ration worsening to 1:1 (that is exagerating it ofc).

You can see many examples irl of people doing this and you can do your own evaluation and your own conclusions...

As to how to lose weight, what i do is combining diet and workout. Try to remember if you are trying to lose weight your intake need to be slightly less than your output.

And to lose those flabs in yer abs you need to lose the flabs from the rest of your body first. Then and only then will those flabs in your abs likely start disappearing. So as many has said here cardio cardio and more cardio... no shortcut i guess if ya want the effect to be long term... hey in the end remember one thing... you are doing all this for no one else but good old you!

Cheers

Return to “General Discussion Archive”