FFVII: Advent Children

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

FFVII: Advent Children

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:16 pm

So, who else got it today? I had already seen the japanese release but I was glad to actually have it on dvd. I thought it was damn good, slightly better than the release I saw.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:29 pm

I watched the subtitled version some months ago...was a great movie, curious how the english dub turned out. I'm pretty picky though, I tend to watch all of my anime in japanese with subtitles because I think the voices express more than the english versions. Knowing a little Japanese helps as well :p

Took them long enough! Hope it does well, took them so long the buzz around its faded.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:38 pm

Yeah, I saw it when it was released as well, though the american version honestly wasn't that shabby. It had its moments though, definately where you can tell it's just..meh.

But yeah still a great flick.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Dranix/Straxin
Sojourner

Postby Dranix/Straxin » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:56 pm

Jenera and I have the subtitled version, and today got the American version, like them both really, yeah they changed some of the dialogue but its still damn good.
Fotex ASSOC:: 'something's gay here'
Inama ASSOC:: 'its a maxler group, there's a whole lot of gay :('
Lazus group-says 'if you saw me naked, you wouldn't be so impressed methinks'
Rylan ASSOC:: 'the only thing that hurts is my butt'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:57 pm

I'm like botef -- I only watch anime with english subs because the dubs usually reword things or the voice acting is flawed and misses the original intent.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:18 pm

Kifle wrote:I'm like botef -- I only watch anime with english subs because the dubs usually reword things or the voice acting is flawed and misses the original intent.

Heh glad to see I'm not the only one, my friends all think I'm crazy!
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'

// Post Count +1
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:24 pm

From what I understand, anime geeks consider a dubbed movie to be equivalent to a fake Rolex or cheap knockoff clothes. Yeah, it's basically the same and the differences might be minor, but it's just not the same.

I'm not an anime person, nor was I a particularly big fan of FFVII, especially after the game hit mega-fanboydom.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:31 pm

Botef wrote:
Kifle wrote:I'm like botef -- I only watch anime with english subs because the dubs usually reword things or the voice acting is flawed and misses the original intent.

Heh glad to see I'm not the only one, my friends all think I'm crazy!

You're not crazy, I feel the same way about anime! :*)

A lot of the time the english voice actors don't even have access to the same voice technology as the original japanese do. I realy hate how they choose the oldest, most masculine sounding women in the world to play the female parts, while the japanese find the smallest youngest sounding women. The only other language I've found that goes good with anime is french, cause you know when speaking french..

"..it's like whiping your ass with silk."

Hehe, that and the french seem to take it a tad more seriously and really get into it. (I know it's not anime but..) Try watching Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon in french, it's great! :*)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:04 pm

Ragorn wrote:From what I understand, anime geeks consider a dubbed movie to be equivalent to a fake Rolex or cheap knockoff clothes. Yeah, it's basically the same and the differences might be minor, but it's just not the same.

I'm not an anime person, nor was I a particularly big fan of FFVII, especially after the game hit mega-fanboydom.

Nah, some of them aren't even close to the same -- take the kenshin series for example. Whole sub-plots are perverted because of the language and most of the time the translations miss the meaning or importance of something somebody said.

As far as AC, it was a great movie CG-wise, but the character development wasn't good at all. Fun to watch though...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:50 pm

SUB > DUB

I haven't bought the US version yet, though I suspect I will.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:37 pm

I found the voice acting to be not that super. I actually also found the general plot and action sequences to be hastily sketched out and executed. A lot of the fighting seemed to just been on hyper-warp drive, and ultimately not that exciting either. It was predictable that every fight between Cloud and the enemies would be a stalemate throughout the body of the film.

As I haven't played FFVII in some years, I'm not immersed in the background knowledge of the game, so I feel as though I can assess the show on it's own. It seems fairly clear to me that people who are still enthused about the story will enjoy this greatly, but as a stand-alone show it was basically not that much above mediocre, really.

Nice CG though.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”