JOTD

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
ssar
Sojourner

JOTD

Postby ssar » Tue May 02, 2006 11:05 am

A Somali arrives in Sydney as a new immigrant to Australia.

He stops the first person he sees walking down the street and says, "Thank you Mr. Australian for letting me in this country!"
But the passer by says, "You are mistaken, I am from Ireland."

The man goes on and encounters another passer by and says, "Thank you for having such a beautiful country here in Australia."
The person says, "I no Australian, I Vietnamese."

The new arrival walks further, and the next person he sees he stops, shakes his hand and says, "Thank you for the wonderful Australia."
That person puts up his hand and says, "I am from Iraq, I am not an Australian."

He finally sees a nice lady and asks suspiciously, "Are you an Australian?"

She says, "No, I am from New Zealand."

So he is puzzled, and asks her, "Where are all the Australians?"

The New Zealand lady looks at her watch, shrugs, and says, "Probably at Work."
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue May 02, 2006 10:20 pm

yeah right...

nine out of ten australians i've ever met would be slaggin off, gettin drunk on the beach or in their yard.

That, or called in sick, aka nursing a nasty hangover from slaggin off and gettin drunk yesterday on the beach.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Tue May 02, 2006 10:21 pm

anyhow, what a stupid racist joke. I would think the admins would delete bullshit threads like this one..
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue May 02, 2006 10:27 pm

Or, you could be the only one who has a problem with it. Dunno, you responded to your own post. To much time on your hands? Should be working?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed May 03, 2006 1:58 am

daggaz wrote:anyhow, what a stupid racist joke. I would think the admins would delete bullshit threads like this one..

How is it a racist joke?

...yes... those damn Australians... working....

racist (adj.) discriminatory especially on the basis of race or religion

yes... i can see how saying that they're at work is racist.....
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 03, 2006 2:38 am

LOL here's Daggaz in the other thread bitching about colloquial use of words and spellings, yet doesn't understand that a racist
(Function: noun
Text: a person who believes that one race should control all others <after the passage of the 13th Amendment to the Constitution, racists still used violence and intimidation to prevent African-Americans from enjoying their new constitutional rights> -- see SUPREMACIST)

IS NOT Ethnic: Main Entry: 1eth·nic
Pronunciation: 'eth-nik
Function: adjective
Etymology: Middle English, from Late Latin ethnicus, from Greek ethnikos national, gentile, from ethnos nation, people; akin to Greek Ethos custom

Is english Dag's primary language?! Hope not :/ There's a joke in this thread after all! =D
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 03, 2006 3:56 am

I thought it was quite funny.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 03, 2006 4:01 am

I like ssar's joke, but not sure what the world Daggaz' problem is
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Wed May 03, 2006 7:25 am

daggaz wrote:nine out of ten australians i've ever met would be slaggin off, gettin drunk on the beach or in their yard.

hrmmm,,,, sounds like work to me, plz explain!
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Wed May 03, 2006 7:37 am

I think Daggaz was joking?
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed May 03, 2006 6:45 pm

whats a joke is white horse fell into mud. now that's funny. ssar it's not the content but the delivery. ask any stork.
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu May 04, 2006 10:25 am

Omg you guys are thick. Its racist not simply because 'all the australians work,' tho that is part of defining the other side... but because

The Somalian,

The Vietnamese (who hahaha speaks our favorite kind of broken asian-english, cuz of course they all talk like that)

The Iraqi,

and yes, even the New Zealander

(who although mostly white (just assuming here its not a native of the islands based on the lack of any racial undertones) and compromising an almost identical culture set, do find themselves in a small rivalry with Aussies, much like two nearby clans, or Oregonians and Californians a few decades ago..)

DO NOT WORK. The 'joke' implied, is that they are all worthless, parasitic, problems for the superior, hard-working, productive australian society.

If you cant see thru that, then how about this one. Is it racist?

A mexican kid comes to america and goes to the park looking for someone to play with. The park is kinda empty, but he sees a couple of black kids spraypainting a fence. He goes up to them and asks them where all the kids are, but they shrug their shoulders. They dont want to play, so he walks a little further. A little ways up the street, there is an asian kid on the sidewalk, trying to sell little bottles of shampoo on a dirty old blanket. The asian kid doesn't speak much english, but he gets the idea that he is too busy selling shampoo to play, so he walks a little further. Finally he sees a couple of white kids on skateboards, smoking pot behind a convenience store. Their hair and clothes are rather unkempt, and they are too old for him to play with, but he decides to ask about the other children, just in case. 'Pardon, donde esta los otros chicos, por favor?,' he asks. (Excuse me, where are all the other kids, please?' They look at him kinda funny, so he tries again, in broken english.

One of the skaters takes a puff on his joint, and says, 'I dunno... I guess they're at school, maybe.. It's Monday, I think, isn't it?..'
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Thu May 04, 2006 10:45 am

Oh and Thil, your definition is rather too limited, in that it defines only racist people, rather than ideas/jokes/speech as well.

Here's a better definition, but it could probably be improved. The term is so important and so widely used, over such a long time and involving often differences in ethnicity and culture (race itself is kinda hard to define, ask a geneticist), its dangerous to keep the definition too narrow.

Racism:

1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.

2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

Hmmm.... so in the first joke, we have a Somalian (African/Black), an Viatnamese (Asian), an Iraqi (Arab), and even a New Zealander (White, but of a rival clan) who dont work. The superior Australians (White) do.. Why? The joke doesnt explain... öther than that they are Australian and of course, all the Australians work. Why dont the others work? No explanation, just the convenience that they are not of the same race and they dont have jobs.. The implication? Figure it out.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu May 04, 2006 11:22 am

OK so I was wrong, he wasnt joking ... Sorry!

Cracks me up that it's ok to trash talk a mud that many people enjoy, but it's not ok to make a joke about the immigration issue Australia is having ...

Indeed... :)

-Italian Proverb
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu May 04, 2006 12:05 pm

Maybe I'm looking at the joke all wrong since I have this mental picture of Australia being my absolutely most perfect place in the world, but I thought the folks in it were tourists.

I'm fairly certain that if I got the chance to go to Australia, I'd be slobbering all over myself and trying to find Crocodile Dundee while being unbelievably grateful for the opportunity. :)

But, maybe I didn't read the joke the right way.
:)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu May 04, 2006 12:14 pm

Every country has their immigration issues :P

in Southern Spain it was Morocans .. a lot of Morocans get work permits and go to Spain to work then send all their money back home ..

We see Aussies as Crcoodile Dundee, a lot of Aussies see us as John/Jane Wayne :)

-Italian Proverb
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Thu May 04, 2006 5:26 pm

Daggaz, your doctor called. Your imaginary doctor called. He wants you to get real. Oh, and I almost forgot. Go back on your meds.
selerial
Sojourner

Postby selerial » Thu May 04, 2006 8:34 pm

Daggaz, please explain to me how you can reconcile this:

yeah right...

nine out of ten australians i've ever met would be slaggin off, gettin drunk on the beach or in their yard.

That, or called in sick, aka nursing a nasty hangover from slaggin off and gettin drunk yesterday on the beach.

with the fact that you then turn around and complain about the racism of the original joke. I'm super-very-hugely-mucho-exceedingly confused by what exactly it is you're smoking and why it's pissed you off so much.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 04, 2006 9:03 pm

I don't get why this joke is funny about this joke.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu May 04, 2006 9:18 pm

what confuses me is why is he replying to himself? cant he just put it all in one message?
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu May 04, 2006 9:29 pm

I don't think english is his first language. Even so, that wouldn't explain why he's so illogical. Bi-polar maybe *shrug*
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Fri May 05, 2006 2:00 pm

Everyone stop responding. Let's see if Daggaz can do to the BBS what Muma did to OOC: A complete conversation with himself. Let's see how many posts he can make in a row without any responses from anybody else! (popcorn)
Touk says 'ac > glorishan > mr > touk > hps'
Siamorphe OOC: 'If AFKing is the devil, then Corth is the Antichrist and Glorishan is the False Prophet who supports him.'
Referring to the guild on 8/28/06: Oghma responds to your petition with 'your leadership team averages 280 days MIA :('
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri May 05, 2006 4:29 pm

Daggaz in your back! Rar!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 05, 2006 7:24 pm

In.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri May 05, 2006 7:58 pm

Before.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri May 05, 2006 8:15 pm

The
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri May 05, 2006 9:12 pm

Flip!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Fri May 05, 2006 9:26 pm

ROFLMMFAO

This thread is exceedingly funny even if the original post goes over my head (keep reading it trying to get the laugh but can't...find..it!)
If you think that something small cannot make a difference---try sleeping
with a mosquito in the room.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Fri May 05, 2006 11:03 pm

Lol.

You gotta be an Aussie, and/or understand much of the modern Aussie culture to really get this joke, apparently.

It's not anywhere near as snide or disrespectful as some may think.

We're generally a light-hearted bunch with no serious malice or racist inclinations, including in jokes like this.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”