SPOB

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

SPOB

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri May 05, 2006 2:30 am

Add some more crystals to spob. Maybe a heart or a large and some cracked gems. It hasn't been done in a long time, and I understand why.
Just my two cents.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 05, 2006 3:41 am

its not getting done because no one is offering/trying to lead it.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

SPOB

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri May 05, 2006 1:00 pm

I know that's part of it Kiryan, but I don't know... It just seems like people aren't willing to spend 3+ hrs doing a zone that only has one very good item. They can do many other zones in less time that yield more rewards for the entire group.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri May 05, 2006 2:26 pm

Heh.. doing SPOB I think I've bid heart once maybe twice in the 15 or so times I've been.

Cracked and large however..

God I love my mageblade and rogue blade. *shrug* I've just gotten everything I need from there atm so I stopped going. That and timing for the groups.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: SPOB

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri May 05, 2006 3:03 pm

Thus always to zones that destroy RvR!
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri May 05, 2006 5:43 pm

I don't know..spob's one of those places where it seems one trip was easy, then relatively same group does it again and it takes 8-13 hours. Hard to say what risk is involved. Usually it's fairly smooth.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri May 05, 2006 6:18 pm

Thilindel wrote:I don't know..spob's one of those places where it seems one trip was easy, then relatively same group does it again and it takes 8-13 hours. Hard to say what risk is involved. Usually it's fairly smooth.

8-13 hrs? dang thil what trips have you gone on? :p
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Gura
Sojourner

Postby Gura » Fri May 05, 2006 6:42 pm

maybe a good idea would be to change the loading of the gems...ie. instead of there always being 4 cracked 2 large and 1 heart maybe it could be a lil more random....like 2 cracked 3 larges and 1 heart would load....or 4 cracked and 2 hearts etc. of course this could go both ways and 4 cracked and 4 larges could load....or 1 heart 1 large and 6 cracked. u get the idea. it might give people more incentive and make bidding in the zone a little more friendly.
Dornax says 'And for the right amount of information ye might get some nookie out of Nokie..'

Nokie wiggles his bottom.
Teba tells you 'let me do my job you volo twinker!'
Bobidibble GCC: 'yeah i admit gura is a better warrior then i am, no shame in it... perhaps someday i shall be as pimp'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri May 05, 2006 10:40 pm

Pril wrote:
Thilindel wrote:I don't know..spob's one of those places where it seems one trip was easy, then relatively same group does it again and it takes 8-13 hours. Hard to say what risk is involved. Usually it's fairly smooth.

I've heard enough about the evil's luck doing Spob!
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri May 05, 2006 10:57 pm

Thilindel wrote:
Pril wrote:

I've heard enough about the evil's luck doing Spob!

That was 1 run with a leader who had been to spob 1 time before and never lead it. hardly comparable.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri May 05, 2006 11:06 pm

Ah yes, teh 18 hour SPOB extravaganza....That was hell, and I even fell asleep at my keyboard for 2 hours at the start of 2nd level. Good times, good times.

GroupLeader tells you 'it will take about 4-5 hours'

Classic
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Fri May 05, 2006 11:36 pm

Even if it was only one good item per run which I don't agree with at all, it's a pretty darn good item, the best in the game quite often. I cannot fathom spob being considered at the low end of zones in risk/time VS reward schema, I think it is one of the best yielding zones.
Arishae group-says 'mah sunray brings all the boys to the yard'
Shadow Scream
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Sat May 06, 2006 12:49 am

Sarell wrote:I cannot fathom spob being considered at the low end of zones in risk/time VS reward schema, I think it is one of the best yielding zones.

It is the #1 yielding zone. Can't be toptier viable in a whole set from anywhere else but the other RvR destroying zone.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat May 06, 2006 4:53 am

I agree with sarell adding only that 2 years later a lot of the eq is now just "great" instead of unbelievable.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Mon May 08, 2006 7:47 pm

Wasn't it a year ago how some people were yelling at SPOB for having too many good items?

So now it doesn't have enough?

Flip.
Yarash
Sojourner

Postby Yarash » Mon May 08, 2006 8:46 pm

This is to be expected. Most people like new things, and lose interest as time goes on.

Think back to the last electronic device you purchased and were excited about. If it was over a year ago, do you still get excited when you use it?

- Mike
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon May 08, 2006 8:54 pm

If you're asking the women that...they'll probably say yes. *duck*
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 09, 2006 4:02 pm

LL, the point of the original post was NOT that there is not enough good items at spob, it was that you don't get enough rewards per trip.

Spob and musphelim still have way too many pieces of unique eq for a single zone (but at least musphelim is quite large in comparison) and too many top items imo (but at least theres competing items for some of the slots now 2 years later).
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue May 09, 2006 6:31 pm

Yarash wrote:This is to be expected. Most people like new things, and lose interest as time goes on.

Think back to the last electronic device you purchased and were excited about. If it was over a year ago, do you still get excited when you use it?

- Mike

You're asking a lady if an electronic device still gets her excited after a year? 0_o

Well as long as it has fresh batteries! :P

kiryan wrote:LL, the point of the original post was NOT that there is not enough good items at spob, it was that you don't get enough rewards per trip.

Spob and musphelim still have way too many pieces of unique eq for a single zone (but at least musphelim is quite large in comparison) and too many top items imo (but at least theres competing items for some of the slots now 2 years later).

Kir, not enough rewards, or not enough top tier rewards per trip?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue May 09, 2006 10:34 pm

try reading; it was rather clear.

"Add some more crystals to spob. Maybe a heart or a large and some cracked gems." - Adriorn
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Wed May 10, 2006 4:32 am

ill lead a spob run, post what times you guys can go

zone for the fun of the zone, not the reward.

ptw, maxler points are still good
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

uh

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed May 10, 2006 12:38 pm

Not quite sure how such a simple and to the point original post could get so completely off topic and misread. I KNOW the items from spob are very good. Notice item quality was never in my original post. But realistically and statistically, 3-4 good items for 15 people in a zone that takes around 4hrs is poop NOWADAYS. And that's if you get lucky and randomly get one of the good ones.

And yes Maxler, I did SPOB last night, because it is a fun zone to do. I mean...you're naked. :P
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed May 10, 2006 9:45 pm

kiryan wrote:try reading; it was rather clear.

"Add some more crystals to spob. Maybe a heart or a large and some cracked gems." - Adriorn

Before: SPOB gives too many good items, it should give less spiffy rewards. It is the end all be all for every class! This is not right!

Now: Since SPOB is no longer the end all be all of equipment, thanks "NOWADAYS" to such zones as Tiamat, we should get more rewards per trip, despite the fact that the statistics for the items, or the time to do the zone, hasn't changed in the least - I mean we shouldn't even mention Magma, I mean really.

Sound about right?

So what kind of precedence does this set? Ok so they upgrade the number of rewards at the end of SPOB. What's this cause all the other 4-hour zones? Well soon all those will need to be upgraded in number of rewards at the end as well for the sake of balance. Right? I mean if SPOB a 4 hour zone got reward number upped, why shouldn’t the other 4 hour zones? What about the 2-hour zones, well the 4's got upped, we need to up the 2's right? What about the 1's?

Where does it end?

Then here's the scary thought: What if a zone comes out with more rewards, and possibly better rewards, then Tia? Does that mean Tia gets upped? Which causes the domino effect on all the others? Soon we'll be doing 1 hour zones and getting 20 rewards if we follow that logic.

Then we'll start saying, hey why do I need to go to zones to get rewards!? I walked to TP I should get an amy ring for god's sake!

In Summary:
Adriorn’s reasoning for wanting the number of rewards of SPOB will lead us down a road to disaster. It will set a precedence that will cause an undesirable domino effect. The subject of SPOB receiving a greater number of rewards, would be better pursued with a different line of reasoning – preferably one that takes into consideration the previous comments made about the zone and said rewards.

Personally, I feel SPOB isn’t being done because the people necessary to do/lead the zone have already acquired what they want from it and have no desire to do it now with the high fatality rate in the zone, and the point that all the equipment you’ve acquired over the years of playing here means a hill of beans when doing the zone.

Want people to do SPOB again? Don’t increase rewards, change em. Even something as simple as restringing the rewards would be a step in the right direction and certainly not the limit of what I’m suggesting. In essence, offer up something not everyone already has in a game where everyone almost has everything.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed May 10, 2006 10:59 pm

i mostly agree with what you said in your latest post ll.

It would be very bad imo to change spob because one or a couple players think its not done enough anymore. Spob was supposedly calculated with the eq calcr. It would be worse to upgrade a zone's equipment simply because escalation has obsoleted it as it would attack the predominant thought in areas... risk vs reward meausured by the eq calcr... You would end up in a constant cycle of upgrading the eq in old zones or upgrading old zones... An occasional update like jot invasion is good, but too much would be a bad thing.

I wouldnt worry about a zone with more better equipment than tiamat... i would worry about several zones/quests that concentrates points in a single item to a degree that the they surpass tiamat eq. Right cuz tiamat is 30 players * 16 hours or 480 man hours split amongst say 10 pieces of eq or 48 hours per eq. If you make a 3 hour, 15 man zone you should be able to net a tiamat quality piece of eq (roughly, yes theres risk of death to be considered). So if you wanted to break the game, get cyric to approve a 6 hour, 15 man zone that nets 1 reward which is avernus the lifestealer.

but anyhow, the problem with nearly every zone on the mud is not the rewards and people who want to do the zone, its not really the risk vs reward, its people willing to lead the zone. The loss of leaders is really the biggest danger to the health of the mud imo. I used to go to seelie all the time just because lilithelle was leading it.. not because i needed any of the equipment... and as much as i like lilithelle, i didnt go to seelie because i like her... it was something to do and shes leads in a predictable amount of time with a predictable # of deaths.

I'm pretty sure lilithelle can gather a spob group on most nights, so there is not really a problem with the zone... as a matter of fact she lead it last night. When she does have problems gathering, im going to guess its 2 part... not enough people on or people with not enough time to do the zone.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu May 11, 2006 6:22 pm

I hear you loud and clear Kir, and yes the idea of a 15 man 6 hour zone for a godly reward is a scary thought most definitely.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Fri May 12, 2006 12:05 pm

<3 Llaal

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”