Some direction please.

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Old Newbie
Sojourner

Some direction please.

Postby Old Newbie » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:12 pm

Hmmm where to start.
Anyway I'm a level 47 grey elf enchanter who started playing Sojourn probably at least 11 years ago, have a couple other characters but this was my main. I haven't played much in the past 3-4 years, but Toril was a big part of my life for a long time. However with kids, work, college, other commitments and the fact that the MUD takes up alot of time I just haven't been able to play. Plus I think my wife was jealous of the mud so I had to give it up for a while :P

Anyways came back last night, and was trying once again to get my wife to try it out. This is how it went down. Explained different classes, she chose a grey elf invoker. Ever wonder why is it so much easier to get a barb warrior with all good stats than a grey elf invoker? After 10 minutes of character rolling I thought I better just get what I could to keep her interested. Settled for mediocre stats.

Next she wanted to pick her own name... Hmmm after waiting 7-8 minutes for the name she wanted to be approved or declined, I once again began to worry about her losing intrest so I got her to just accept a random generated name. No probs, can always have it changed later if the rules are still the same.

Finally, the game begins. I grew up on EM. This is my turf. I know where everything is that we can kill, that will help her level, and that will help her see how to get equipment. After all I just want to get her to level 5 or 6 really quick so she can start casting more than 1 spell, god knows she's not going to kill anything like that.

Hmmmm........... where is everything? Lots of cute squirrels, cats, dogs, badger, birds, butterflies, bunnies. Where are the kobolds, Elder Forest, all that stuff that used to be right outside the gates? Yeah we are elves. I know we're killing cute forest creatures, but I can't find any kobolds or anything yet. Alright I'll go buy a map. The scribe store is right where it used to be Halleluja!!!! They still sell maps this is great. Hmmm according to the map everything is right where I remember it. She says Don't you want to play something else?

*sigh*

Anyways she did enjoy it, so did I. The emotes, actions, and stuff is what saved me. I think you can better communicate with this mud than you can on any graphical game. Thats one of the reasons I like it so much.

Today I went exploring some by myself to find those places I thought would be suitable for my wifes level 1 and couldn't find them right off. Found the Elemental Glades, Drulak is about where it used to be, lots of new areas with dead ends, rooms that aren't mapped right, and quite a few aggros. Got on the net and tried to find a map and found the same maps of the way i remember things.

Anyways enough griping, I love this game. I hope my wife will enjoy it to. And if anyone can post some general directions of where things are, I'd really appreciate it.
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:23 pm

I'm not sure if you know about Scardale, but it is really the best place to level up as a newbie. It is the newbie "hometown", for levels 1-20 and can easily give the best exp for that level range around.

How to find scardale? be inside EM and simply type 'recall'. You'll wind up in the newbie tutorial room. From there you can find the exit that will bring you to your guild (since you cant move in any other of the directions.) Your wife may even find the tutorials in the first couple of rooms before her guild to be helpful. Maybe not, but Scardale is probably your safest and best bet for exp and beginning quests and the like.

Good luck to both of you :)
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:23 pm

Scardale is FAR better to level in. If your wife is new to the game, Scardale is an excellent town for training. There are quests everywhere so she can learn that process, mobs of all levels, equipment that's fairly decent and other people of her level to group with. :-)

edit - Laugh.. Shar beat me to it!
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:27 pm

Id suggest going to Scarsdale, very flavored newer starter zone, and elves can go there. Once you hit lvl 20 it boots you out and you have to go find other areas to kill.

Evermeet was recently vamped and a few new zones were entered. Explore it when your wife isnt right there and you have some time, but for instant killing and lvling just go to scarsdale.

To enter Scarsdale from Elf town, type RECALL, then move whatever direction your class hall is for rogues i know its south. To enter Evermeet again type RECALL from scarsdale again and then type ENTER.

Hope that helps
Dugmaren mutters in a surly voice 'Got any new strategy or going to continue with the "throw bodies at them til they get bored"? '

Dranth group-says 'i started drinkin when i found out galzar would be here'

Nerox says 'careful she goes from 0 to bitch in .00000001 seconds'

Mugo ASSOC:: 'ah got it on my gaytimer now :P'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:30 pm

Here is a map of Scardale:

Code: Select all

http://members.tripod.com/~mjsbbs/ms/scarsdale.jpg

You have to copy/paste URL into a fresh browser
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:41 pm

Shar wrote:How to find scardale? be inside EM and simply type 'recall'.

Believe Shar intended to say Leuthilspar, not EM. Recall will work from any hometown.

Shar wrote:Good luck to both of you :)

My sentiments as well.

I took on the task of posting a map of the Evermeet roads as well. It can be found at http://www.ryangross.com/fenrir/evermeet.jpg. Credits to Glorishan for the original map.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:46 am

Heh...missed a zone in that map, just FYI.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:43 am

It's a map of the roads, not the zones, sorry it's not more complete, it's not my map.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:14 am

Karenthael wrote:Heh...missed a zone in that map, just FYI.

where's your map? wink cough nudge stare :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:10 pm

<----webpage illiterate:)
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:18 am

email it to me, I'll post it.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”