Applying after a turndown

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Justaghost
Sojourner

Applying after a turndown

Postby Justaghost » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:24 pm

I interviewed with a company around 2 years ago, and basically impressed the hell out of everyone but the actual decisionmaker. Last night I noticed the same company has a help wanted ad posted, for a similar (possibly same) position.

I have actual experience now with the technologies they were looking for, so I'm thinking I should try applying again... my question is what should I say? Should I mention that I had applied before, or would that be a bad idea?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs!

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Voltaire
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:27 pm

i wouldn't.. if you impressed the hell out of em before you'll likely do it again, and with your added experience it would seem your chances are better. why mention to them that you applied before and they didn't hire you?
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Justaghost
Sojourner

Postby Justaghost » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:30 pm

Well, I was thinking they might count it against me if someone recognizes me in the interview or something and I didn't already mention my previous attempt...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs!

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Voltaire
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:37 pm

If you are asked, then tell them that you have applied before. It shows that you have a sincere interest in working for them and that you are honest. If they do not ask, use your judgement. If you think you might be able to gain a little out of it, go for it. If it seems like it will hurt your chances keep to yourself about it.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:20 pm

Definitly should say you applied before. You don't want to force a "ohh, it is you again".

Also, if they for some reason had a reason for not hirering you then they wouldn't call you into another interview and waste your time.

I myself have tried to hire a few people, and wished some people would apply again when others quit. I know companies say they keep your resume for further contact, but that just aint happening.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:34 am

Actually, saying you've applied before could be a plus for you. Study up on the company, and use some kind of line like "I know this company is solid and practices great business ethics that will keep it a leader in the industry in the future. My interest in becoming a part of that future has not diminished since I last applied two years ago."

There are people at my company that applied numerous times, sometimes over a three year span or longer. When I was in my interview they were telling me about one woman who had been applying for two years, and their exact words were "We really need to make a place for her, so she'll be coming on in this next orientation."
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:37 am

Yeah, what I was saying, but Ashiwi spelled out :)

There are times that it can work against you, but there are many many more times that it will work for you.
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:50 am

You know, to add to that...

It wouldn't hurt to also include "Since I last applied for CompanyName I took the opportunity to expand my portfolio of skills so that I might better fit into your organization. I have developed myself in area 1, area 2, and area 3, and know that my talents would be a great asset to CompanyName."

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:37 am

there is always the maxler approach...

get on your knees and .................

beg them ... ya thats what i was gonna say!!!

alendar
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Justaghost
Sojourner

Postby Justaghost » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:12 am

Ashiwi wrote: "I know this company is solid and practices great business ethics that will keep it a leader in the industry in the future. My interest in becoming a part of that future has not diminished since I last applied two years ago."

Hope you don't mind me plagiarizing that! (Especially since I already did... heh)

Thanks for the advice everyone, hopefully I do better this time...

Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:43 am

Justaghost wrote:
Ashiwi wrote: "I know this company is solid and practices great business ethics that will keep it a leader in the industry in the future. My interest in becoming a part of that future has not diminished since I last applied two years ago."

Hope you don't mind me plagiarizing that! (Especially since I already did... heh)

To add to what Ashiwi has said (and I completely agree with her), the one decisionmaker two years ago may no longer be the decisionmaker for this company. One of those whom you DID impress the hell out of may now be the decisionmaker.

I could say more, but I won't.

Good luck!
Justaghost
Sojourner

Postby Justaghost » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:49 am

Birile wrote:
Justaghost wrote:

To add to what Ashiwi has said (and I completely agree with her), the one decisionmaker two years ago may no longer be the decisionmaker for this company. One of those whom you DID impress the hell out of may now be the decisionmaker.

I could say more, but I won't.

Good luck!

Well, his name is the one on the job posting... so he's probably still the decision maker... :(

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:55 pm

Ashiwi wrote:You know, to add to that...

It wouldn't hurt to also include "Since I last applied for CompanyName I took the opportunity to expand my portfolio of skills so that I might better fit into your organization. I have developed myself in area 1, area 2, and area 3, and know that my talents would be a great asset to CompanyName."

...........................................__,,,,,,,---,,,,,,_..................................................................
.............................._,,,--~`'¯¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯`'-,,_..........................................................
.........................,-~`' ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯`~,_...................................................
.....................,-`` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`'~-,,.............................................
.................,-`` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; _,,_ ; ; ;¯`-,.........................................
..............,-`` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-``_ ¯`-,\ ; ; ; ; `,.......................................
............,` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,,-~`'`'`~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-`;;;`, : :||; ; ; ; ; `,.....................................
..........,-` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;,-`/ :,-~`'~, : `,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-,-` : // ; ; ; ; ; ;`,...................................
........,-` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`,| : `-,;;;;,-` : /` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ¯`'`¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `-,.................................
.......,` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`'-,,___,,-~` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`'~,, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-,...............................
.......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,;;`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-...............................
......,` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-;;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; |..............................
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,-`,;;;;|`'-~ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `,..............................
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;---,,,,,,,_,,,,-~`', `-,;;;| ,,-` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`,............................
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯`'~-,,,_ , , , , , , `,;,`,` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;\............................
......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`'-,~-,, , ,,`',` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`,...........................
......`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ``-,,¯`';;;;| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`,...........................
.......| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`'-,_,` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `,...........................
.......`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`,..........................
........`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; \.........................
.........\ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `,........................
..........`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;|........................
...........| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-,......................
...........`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ,,--~~--,, ; ; ; ; ;,--------,, ; ,--~, ; ; ,,-~, ; ;,--,,;,,-~~-,, ; ; ; ; ; ;`,....................
............| ; ; ; ; ; ; ,-`` . ,,--,, . `-, ; ; ; ;| . ,-,, . `, | . . | ; ;`-, . .\,,/ . ./`-,,--, . `, ; ; ; ; ; ; `-,..................
............| ; ; ; ; ; ; | . .,` ; ; ;`, . .| ; ; ; | . .`-` . ,-` | . . | ; ; ; `-, . . .,-` ; ;,-` . ,-` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `-,................
............`, ; ; ; ; ; ;`, . `-,__,-` . ,` ; ; ; | . .|\ . .\ . | . . |___ ; ;} . . / ; ; ;`----` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-,.............
.............| ; ; ; ; ; ; ;`-,,_ . ._,,-` ; ; ; ; |__| .\__\ ;|_____/ ; ;/__/ ; ; ; ; (¯) ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `-,............
.............`, ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;¯ ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; `-,.........
............,` ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;-,,_......
............| ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ; ;
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:44 pm

Yes, Dalar, even if the skills you expanded were related to "Textual Design."

Return to “General Discussion Archive”