Introducing Toril 2.0

fobble
Sojourner

Postby fobble » Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:31 am

Dual class and multi-class going to be part of 2.0 release by anychance? Please advise, thanks!
Nokie
Sojourner

d20srd

Postby Nokie » Thu Jul 20, 2006 4:56 pm

While 2.0 sure sounds like it will take a lot of aspects from the d20SRD, I'm sure it will be quite different too.

Nontheless, there seems to be a lot of questions floating around about the 3.5/d20 system. There is an excellent resource out there called the Hypertext d20 SRD. It may be worth checking out.
thanuk
Sojourner

Postby thanuk » Thu Jul 20, 2006 11:49 pm

you should pwipe when you put this in
Mysrel tells you 'have my babies'
You tell Mysrel 'u want me to be ur baby daddy?'
Mysrel tells you 'daddy? No, I think you have the terminology wrong'
You tell Mysrel 'comeon now we both know i would be the top'
Mysrel tells you 'can be where ever you want to be, yer still getting ****** like a drunken cheerleader'
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:26 am

thanuk wrote:you should pwipe when you put this in

I don't wanna equip you again!
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:43 am

thanuk wrote:you should pwipe when you put this in

dont listen to this barbarian
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Yeah

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:58 am

Birile wrote:Shev, I'm most interested in knowing if my halfling bard and grey elf elementalist will be given some sort of customization option since I've literally put years into each.

I was thinking the same thing Birile was saying. Shev, for those of us who have spent severe hours actually practicing skills or have them maxed, will our new 'skills' be maxed as well if they were so before? Just wanted a general idea, good to knwo if I should stop practicing certain things.

Thanks.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Yeah

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:53 am

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:
Birile wrote:Shev, I'm most interested in knowing if my halfling bard and grey elf elementalist will be given some sort of customization option since I've literally put years into each.

I was thinking the same thing Birile was saying. Shev, for those of us who have spent severe hours actually practicing skills or have them maxed, will our new 'skills' be maxed as well if they were so before? Just wanted a general idea, good to knwo if I should stop practicing certain things.

Thanks.

Obviously I have no idea what they are planning, but one possibility would be to give every skill point you have back to you in a pool which you could then spend to set up the new skills. After all, there's no gaurantee any of the same skills will even still be around... so doing it that way would make a lot of sense.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
anarii
Sojourner

Postby anarii » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:39 pm

But the problem you run into then is that some skills are easier to learn then others. Let's say I use all my awareness points on a skill on par with assassinate
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:54 pm

anarii wrote:But the problem you run into then is that some skills are easier to learn then others. Let's say I use all my awareness points on a skill on par with assassinate

some skills cost more than others.....
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Jul 21, 2006 9:10 pm

All I will say is:

If I'm able to make a human psi, I may come back to the game.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Malacar
Sojourner

Re: Yeah

Postby Malacar » Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:56 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:

Thanks.

If it's anything like d20, you'll have a set amount of skill points based on class, race, and intelligence... And then have to spend those on skills.

for instance, a first level human fighter, with an intelligence of 10 (average), gets 8 skill points, plus four for being a human (base 2 for fighter, multiplied by four at first level, plus four for being a human), for a total of 12 - and 3 per level there after (base 2 for fighter, plus one for human).

An elf wizard, with an intelligence of 16 would get (base 4 for wizard, plus 3 for intelligence, times four for first level), would get 28, and another 7 every level after that (base 4 for wizard, plus 3 for intelligence).

A human rogue with an intelligence of 14 would get 44 (base 8 for rogue, plus 2 for intelligence, times four for first level, plus four for human) - and another 11 every level there after (base 8 rogue, 2 for int, 1 for human).

------
Following me?
------

Then, you have a list of skills, based on class, that are 'easier' (class skills) to learn (1 skill point per 'notch), and the rest are 'harder' (cross-class skills) to learn - and cost 2 points per 'notch'.

Your maximum 'notch' for class skills, is current level plus 3.
Your maximum 'notch' for cross-class skills, is 1/2 your class skill maximum.

That make sense?

That said, though this will probably tick a bunch of the hardcore 'i got my skills maxxed' people, I won't miss that system even in the slightest, if this system is adopted.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:20 pm

I'm a hardcore "I maxed all my skills out" person, but I'm looking forward to seeing skills that actually serve a purpose in battle, and aren't worthless even maxed. If these changes bring about the much-needed overhaul for warriors (and I'm sure they will), I truly feel that warriors will regain a niche other than just being PC-controlled hp monsters.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:52 pm

It’s sounding great so far, please continue to inform us of the ongoing direction and development. I look forward to hearing more on the “additional information and advanced concepts” subjects.
Nokie
Sojourner

Postby Nokie » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:12 pm

Shevarash,

How about a type of 'remort' where players can multiclass or do some sort of gestalt after they reach max level?
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Why make us wait til max level? Why not just offer multi-classing and cap out at a total of level 50? That would self police itself cus if you multi too much you're gonna suck. *grin*
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:19 pm

I'd love to see multiclassing, but it's not very feasible.

Imagine Lili if she could be a druid AND an elementalist at the same time, even with perhaps lessened abilities! *shudder*

Anyway...while I'm not someone who believes that all classes have to be equal, I would like to see a way for all possible race/class combinations to be viable enough to not be rejected out of hand. Like, perhaps give human warriors a unique feat or two to offset the fact that they aren't as godly as elven warriors or barb/dwarf warriors.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:21 pm

If it's anything like D&D i'm sure humans will get things like bonus feats to make them more viable. I'm not all up on lore/rules, but don't humans at start get an extra feat/or skill or something?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Kesena
Sojourner

Postby Kesena » Fri Jul 28, 2006 7:55 pm

the D20 system gives both an added feat at character creation and added skill points all the way through to sweeten the deal of playing human.
Gre'as'anto Lani
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jul 28, 2006 8:23 pm

Lahgen wrote:I'd love to see multiclassing, but it's not very feasible.

Imagine Lili if she could be a druid AND an elementalist at the same time, even with perhaps lessened abilities! *shudder*

Assuming, of course, that Druids and Eles will still exist...

Anyway...while I'm not someone who believes that all classes have to be equal, I would like to see a way for all possible race/class combinations to be viable enough to not be rejected out of hand. Like, perhaps give human warriors a unique feat or two to offset the fact that they aren't as godly as elven warriors or barb/dwarf warriors.

Barbies... interesting question... If they are trying to model 3E barbies won't be a race anymore!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:23 pm

oooOOO grandfather human druids!
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 pm

The real question still hasn't been answered...

Will we get Myconid as a race choice?!
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

omg

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:32 pm

Tasan wrote:The real question still hasn't been answered...

Will we get Myconid as a race choice?!

Everyone loves shrooms.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:29 am

And they're great, cuz there's no prejudice! Everybody loves and laughs after a shroom!
Lohrandelarien
Sojourner

alright!

Postby Lohrandelarien » Sat Aug 12, 2006 11:20 am

First id like to say, the plans for 2.0 seems really good. Great work Shev.

There seems to be a really big fuzz about pwipe or no pwipe. I know Shev clearly stated there will be no pwipe, and I understand why people dont like to see one, havin spent all this hours gettin their stuff etc.

But lets face it... wasn't that the part of the game that we loved? To compete and get levels and get those items... wasnt that the "game" ? Having fun with eachother, improving our characters as much as we could?

I could see a pwipe happen, even tho I'm one of those idiots who spent silly amouts of time doing nearly everyone of those longass stupid quests for eq.

If this mud get revamped new code, thats great... but I dont think the mud is lackin players bcs of the game itself, the mechanics and features of the game. I think most of the folks who quit lost the interest for the game bcs of the lack of competitve gameplay.

The best time of my mudding life were back in 95-96 (like most of us who played then would say I guess)... where we had a big pbase and there was competition everywhere.

I know im talking much about "competition" now, I dont mean everyone plays to be the "best", thats not the point.. maybe challenge would be another good word to express it. Everyone who plays a game (mud/pc/xbox etc), is lookin for a challenge and a competition... in most cases a challenge to yourself and a competition for yourself, with others.

Soo... to wrap it up. I love all the new ideas, its really great. Maybe a fresh start would be a good idea too? Because knowledge is the power, not the eq we got on our characters. Lets take the journey from scratch again? Id love to see it happen. Because right now, we're playing zones to equipp secondaries, occasionaly we do it for primaries (tia/spob/magma etc) ...but come on. We aint got much to loose, time invested, wtf. Its history, lets embrace the changes with a new start, thats my only hope and vote to return. A pwipe with the new changes, would mean a new game.

Bring it on, agree or disagree with me, lemme know.

Hugs,
Glahir/Elusia/Lohrandelarien/Nebriel etc
Cirath
Sojourner

Re: alright!

Postby Cirath » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:09 pm

Lohrandelarien wrote:Soo... to wrap it up. I love all the new ideas, its really great. Maybe a fresh start would be a good idea too? Because knowledge is the power, not the eq we got on our characters. Lets take the journey from scratch again? Id love to see it happen. Because right now, we're playing zones to equipp secondaries, occasionaly we do it for primaries (tia/spob/magma etc) ...but come on. We aint got much to loose, time invested, wtf. Its history, lets embrace the changes with a new start, thats my only hope and vote to return. A pwipe with the new changes, would mean a new game.

Bring it on, agree or disagree with me, lemme know.

Hugs,
Glahir/Elusia/Lohrandelarien/Nebriel etc

There is only one problem with your proposal. If you want to increase the challenge for yourself by starting a fresh character with no inherited gear or power leveling, you can do so at any time with no pwipe. It is and always has been an option. However, if there were to be a pwipe, then those who did not covet that same challenge that appeals so much to you would have no option other than to start from scratch.

Personally, I agree that in a lot of ways it was more fun right after the wipes, when everyone was scrambling for tiny silver rings and such, but that doesn't mean that I want to do all those ridiculously long quests that I was so proud of finishing over because my characters were all fried.

Even though I expect I will make a new character and play actively when 2.0 goes live, I was glad to see those big red words at the bottom of Shev's first post.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:56 pm

Hi Shev.

Is there an ETA on the implementation of Toril 2.0?

I ask because I'm excited but I know lots of people have a short attention span and may have been excited at first but they get tired of waiting and won't care after awhile.

I understand there is a lot of stuff to tweak and there is a lot of information on the changes that needs to be posted (um, how about some information regarding class changes and magic, I mean really!) but I think you should strike while the iron's hot for the best chance of reviving Toril with this change.

With all due respect and thanks for the hard work done, of course!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:27 pm

Birile wrote:Is there an ETA on the implementation of Toril 2.0?

I ask because I'm excited but I know lots of people have a short attention span and may have been excited at first but they get tired of waiting and won't care after awhile.

QFT
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:01 pm

I'm going as fast as I can...I'll post a date for Beta as soon as I know it.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:07 pm

It would go a lot faster if you didn't let things like getting maried get in the way. Geez, putting personal life before the mud! What kind of a coder are you! :P
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:57 am

One who's about to skool a drow goddess!
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:08 am

Shar is not a drow goddess btw...

She's Selune's twin, so she's human.

Just FYI.

*grin*

Get it done when you get it done Shev (though we all want it NOW!!!) enjoy the wedding and the honeymoon. *laugh*

Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:45 am

Goddess of secrets and revenge... I think I know the one who will end up "skooled."
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:17 am

Lilira wrote:Shar is not a drow goddess btw...Get it done when you get it done Shev ...

So naughty :P
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:17 am

(The preceeding has been an example of how a male "reads between the lines")
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sun Aug 20, 2006 4:47 am

Gee and they say women take things out of context.

(We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion about what this thread really is about.)
Last edited by Lilira on Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tasan
Sojourner

Re: alright!

Postby Tasan » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:38 am

Lohrandelarien wrote:But lets face it... wasn't that the part of the game that we loved? To compete and get levels and get those items... wasnt that the "game" ? Having fun with eachother, improving our characters as much as we could?

I've talked to literally about 50 people on the subject and I have to say a lot of people are hedged against the pwipe idea because of long ass quests, and because they'd have to exp again.

Well 2.0 is going to "fix" exp supposedly, so let's come up w/ ways to reimburse for quests or find some happy medium. You obviously aren't going to make everyone happy w/ a pwipe, but a lot of these changes won't mean much to those who are already established with years of characters and equipment.

I'm all for a pwipe or a eqwipe where the most people are happy w/ the situation. Perhaps it is without a wipe at all, but I don't really see that as true with the people I've talked to. Most are really concerned only w/ re-exp'g or long/hard quest eq.

Shrug.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Gantoris
Sojourner

Postby Gantoris » Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:32 am

As far as the pwipe/eq-wipe are concerned I figure the staff is going to have to weigh several scenarios. And in this case I feel the scenario that is the least popular would be the best for the game from a design/balance standpoint.

Scenario 1 -- Full Wipe: This is the *only* way to really set back the clock with a NEW and improved MUD and allow for game balance to fall back into line. To restore any semblance of 'challenge' back into the MUD and I daresay give any player a sense of accomplishment beyond what is now reduced to a handful of long draw-out quests. Everybody has all the gear they need, and even IF changes are made to the gear that is in the game it will only be a matter of digging around in bags upon bags of gear in storage for the 'proper combination' or hitting a few more zones before you have everybody back in to the groove of playing and equiping a slew of alts.

I say this is the BEST choice from the perspective of game balance and giving players new and old a whole NEW set of adventures to embark on. Not just a revision to the status quo but a chance to experience a whole new game in all of it's dimensions from level 1 and up. I admit that this scenario is unlikely because of the various arguments out there.

The Grown-up: "I just don't have the time I used to to play anymore, to XP and get all my equipment again... I just don't have the time!" --- Well, you know, like myself if you don't have the time to do any of these things now, how the hell do you plan on making use of your character other than to log in and chat anyways? -- I'd gladly just roll up a level 1 Gantoris, score a few levels and chat just like I do now... but now rather than just sitting around chatting I just might start playing again... it starts with getting a few levels, learning how kickass the new system is, and next thing you know it I'm finding the time to play again. Will I ever have time to zone again? maybe... but a pwipe will not effect me other than I just might have something to do when I log in, god knows I don't have time to zone now and If I did zone, there is SO little equipment I would even need anyways so a wipe would mean that the times I COULD zone it would even be for something.

The Hoarder: "But I spent the last seventeen months farming these rares to get the pink bunny slippers of teleportation! AND you have any idea how many rares I had to hunt down? Oh and all the mad loot I gave up to turn in for the slippers? ... I want those months of my life BACK if you pwipe, I need something in return other than enjoyment and a sense of accomplishment. *stomps feet*

--- Isn't equipment sorta like keeping score on a MUD? We don't have 'points' per say but equipment is the one real tangible (1's and 0's) thing you have to show for your hours upon hours of playtime. But how enjoyable is it to load up a video game after winning it and getting to play through it again but not starting out from scratch... this time you get to start with everything you accumulated throughout the game from the beginning. Imagine Final Fantasy... you win, you start from the beginning but with all the skills, spells, and badass gear. *yawn* super fun! *thumbs down*... or not. Wouldn't a pwipe be a chance to play a whole new game, same people, same local, new rules, new ... well... just about everything! It would also be playing the game as intended from the ground up. Again, I realize a pwipe would never happen for the Hoarders because without the equipment to keep score all of that time they put into the game just wouldn't mean anything to them. But as in most games the 'high score' needs to be reset to zero.

Scenario 2 -- No Pwipe/ No Eq Wipe:

I have to imagine that this is what will happen, in fact I am sure of it. Again, NOT because it is the best choice, but because the staff said it wouldn't happen and it is the path of least resistance.

The Result:

Fewer challenges
Less of an 'experience' for old players
High end zones are still the only thing worth doing at all
80% of the MUD still goes unused because places like SG are just so 1999
No Economy
Equipment Saturation -- when the only sought after equipment is THE BEST in the game sorta stuff and the rest is for alts of alts? Whoodi-doo really fun game. </snark>

No matter what arguments are made or however well laid out the case is... there will be no wipe of any kind because there will always be somebody to disagree in a very vocal manner. I think there are a few thousand differant threads that talk about pwipe and they all just end up being just like this post and never having any resolution... two ships passing in the night... For humans change in inheriently bad (unfortuneatly). In the end, some players go away, new players fill the ranks and some old players return for a new challenge and a new adventure.

I can only speak for myself in saying that I honestly have to say the most enjoyable time for me in the many incarnations of this MUD have always been the first few months after a wipe. After a wipe you might even see equipment used that is now not even given a second glance... under the status quo newbies scoff at some of the items to be fought for out there at their level because the hand-me-downs totally blow this low level quest item reward stuff away. Now imagine if we had actual newbies, not this perpetual land of alts that we have now.

*gets off his soap box*

So yeah... a Pwipe will never happen... Even if it is the BEST option sticking to the status quo just so happens to be the one that will more than likely be made.

~Gantoris
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:54 pm

Everybody wants some justice.

I'm not really clear on how "pointless time sinks" will be reduced without reworking the fundamental paradigm of Toril - the investment of time to accomplish short-term goals which are in and of themselves worthwhile only because they lead to long-term goals. It comes down to what is and is not considered pointless - and I will be truly impressed if we can get everyone to agree on that.

I'm willing to wait and see, however. :wink:
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:18 pm

You're gonna have the XP time sink no matter what... and you should. Its where players learn how to play the game.

Timesinks that SHOULD be going away (at least the way I'm reading it)...

Good god.. Skill prac. How many LFGs are we seeing every day for rescue practice? How many HOURS do people just sit and spam spells, skills etc until they're maxxed. Ye sufferin' gods the hours of song work for Lilira to get songs AND instruments maxxed. And my rogue?? *cringe* And pal/ap for mounted combat w/ 2hers. Ugh.

Gantoris
Sojourner

Postby Gantoris » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:03 pm

I would think there will be no more skill prac, you just raise your skills as you level and spend your points as you see fit. Perhaps as feats are a whole new option every character will have we will spend more time questing and adventuring for new "feat access" just like quest spells. Wizards have to quest for their high end spells, I bet non-casters will quest for their high-end feats!

sweeeeet.

~Gantoris
Lalan
Sojourner

Postby Lalan » Sun Oct 01, 2006 9:04 am

I know this is a minor issue (and inconvenience) but I was just wondering if character aging was going to continue on in 2.0 the way it has in 1.0? I tend to play humans and I think my characters have an average age of about 102, with oldest being 170 years old. I know that this could be rectified by bugging a necro for some undivided attention, but I always feel bad doing that. :?

Can't wait to see the 2.0 implementation.

Lalan
Gantoris
Sojourner

Postby Gantoris » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:02 pm

I have to imagine things will stay the same as far as age is concerned. Although what would be interesting is to see 'venerable ages' implimented. This is where the older you get your physical stats decrease and your mental stats such as Wisdom and Int increase ;)

I would have to imagine that in the new regime of reducing time sinks there would be necromancers running shops with cheesy names like "The Fountain of Youth" in which for a nominal fee cast rejuvinate on you ;)
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:09 am

Ok, as to what Sheverash has stated earlier in this thread, we are being allowed to reroll our characters.
What really wasn't answered was:
1) Are we rerolling our characters and starting out as lvl 1 characters again?
2) Rerolling our characters and reimbursed to the same lvl as before the conversion? IE, rerolled to be lvl 1, then staff leveled to the prior achieved lvl.
3) Rerolling our characters and reimbursing to the same lvl as before, AND being reimbursed the same skill levels as before? IE, Similar to the unanswered option 2, but also converting (several maxed skills in my case) to the skill points (or whatever in Toril 2.0 that they are equivalent to).

I'd dislike being converted to Toril 2.0 and find that I'm at the same ability as someone that had their buddies plevel them to lvl 50 but never once practiced their skills, whereas I (literally) spent 2 years practicing some of mine. *cough*dodge*cough* *cough*it helps*cough* (I live a little longer than other people, though I have a lot less elite equipment than those others and hence less hitpoints.)

-the dodge practiced enchanter
Mirlantharn
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:20 am

Mirlantharn wrote:Ok, as to what Sheverash has stated earlier in this thread, we are being allowed to reroll our characters.
What really wasn't answered was:...

From what I have gathered, as well as experience in similar situations on other games, this is how I understand the conversion to work: You will be artificially dropped to first level, where you will pick your feats and spend your skill points. Once you have finished with level one, you will immediately move on to the leveling process for level two, where you will again pick skills and (if aplicable) feats, using the level one options you just chose to determine eligibility due to prerequisites of any feat or ability you may have access to. You will then continue on to level three, and so on, until you reach your current level. At this point, the process will end, and you will be able to play you character at the level you were at before the conversion.

Mirlantharn wrote:I'd dislike being converted to Toril 2.0 and find that I'm at the same ability as someone that had their buddies plevel them to lvl 50 but never once practiced their skills, whereas I (literally) spent 2 years practicing some of mine. *cough*dodge*cough* *cough*it helps*cough* (I live a little longer than other people, though I have a lot less elite equipment than those others and hence less hitpoints.)

Unfortunately for those of us who spent all that time in mindless skill practice (and even got asked if we were botting a time or two because of it), the concept of increasing a skill through use will be done away with. However, the up side of this means that any future characters will not have to go through the same misery of spamming a certain skill for hours on end just to get it to the maximum notch allowed by the level that character is currently.

You may not like that you wasted all that time, but in the end, what is a game but wasting time in an amusing way?

Of course, as always, this is all just educated guesswork.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:31 am

Its been stated pretty clearly in other threads relating to this topic...

One of the major points behind 2.0 is eliminating time sinks such as skill prac. Heh.. I'm done leveling my rogue til 2.0 comes in just cus I'm SOOOOOOO not spending the year of mudding time to max all my skills (I've already spent 3 months or so) when I could have more fun leveling my umpteenth alt. :P

Have you read the other threads relating to 2.0 aside from the Magic thread? Its pretty much been all spelled out imo.

Yeah there was more, but Cirath beat me to it, so I trimmed a bunch.

moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:09 pm

Gantoris wrote:I have to imagine things will stay the same as far as age is concerned. Although what would be interesting is to see 'venerable ages' implimented. This is where the older you get your physical stats decrease and your mental stats such as Wisdom and Int increase ;)

I would have to imagine that in the new regime of reducing time sinks there would be necromancers running shops with cheesy names like "The Fountain of Youth" in which for a nominal fee cast rejuvinate on you ;)

Of course, in 3.5, Druids don't accumulate aging penalties, but continue to accrue bonuses :D
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'

Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'

Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Todrael
Sojourner

Re: Introducing Toril 2.0

Postby Todrael » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:54 pm

Shevarash wrote:EXPERIENCE

- Reworked to encourage group play and exploration while reducing the "grind".

This seems to imply that there will be some form of non-combat exp progression, such as gaining exp through exploring new areas. Is that the case? Or does it just mean stronger trophy?
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:03 pm

Todrael wrote:

This seems to imply that there will be some form of non-combat exp progression, such as gaining exp through exploring new areas. Is that the case? Or does it just mean stronger trophy?

I take it to more likely mean exp bonuses for grouping and better zone exp.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:20 pm

Birile wrote:
Todrael wrote:

I take it to more likely mean exp bonuses for grouping and better zone exp.

Those two things are very likely part of the equation. However, neither of those 'encourage exploration'.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:24 pm

I take that to mean that experience will be better farther from the major gathering points or that there will be specific hard to reach areas that will be worth it.

Return to “2.0 Announcements”