Wild mages - new class

Submit and discuss your ideas for the MUD.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Wild mages - new class

Postby Thilindel » Mon Jul 31, 2006 7:15 am

From the other thread wanting wild surges in magic/spellcasting, I'd like to see 2.0 have a wild mage class. I did get to toy around with the Wild Mage from Baldur's Gate. I don't know the %'s but the chaos of summoning a demon on the group when trying to cast magic missile was rather fun! Fully healing every person in the group and all enemies was most unexpected as well.

Anyway, I'd like the see the entire class put in rather than just having surge rooms put in the mud. Either way, much fun would ensue...well, choas anyway!

Even if it were just a feat, so that any caster had an increased chance to surge, would bring some new avenue. The more you invest in the feat, the higher the % of surging, and the more extravagant the energy burst. Mmm, imagine trying to cast a spell, but instead you cast Miscast Magic where enemies and/or your party has a certain % chance to miscast. Hell, your spell could cause your shammy in the group to group-heal your enemies for example. Higher the feat vested, the longer duration your spells cause chaos.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:02 am

the problem with "wild" mages/magic is that it'll only be fun and cool if its in the players best interests.

If wild magic is implemented like "blast radius" code, it'll be just another thing to bitch about.

if its beneficial to players, then well it just makes us that much more powerful and be a nightmare to balance cuz its "random". oh wild mages can do 3x inferno damage because 10% of the time they inferno the group... ect ect ect...
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:31 pm

Unfortunately, it would probably be too much work to balance. Which is too bad, because like human psi, this is another class I would play even if it were generally worthless, like rangers were thought to be.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:22 am

I see one huge problem with this.

After the initial Ooohs and Ahhs wear off, I see lots of &^%$ and *#@%it at every mis-cast or explosion.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Sat Aug 05, 2006 4:55 am

I disagree. Just have the same chance and same conditions for and against the player, group, or enemy.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:57 am

if you have it be a 50/50 nobody would take them after the new char smell fades.. at least not to zones that are worth mentioning

50/50 is too much that can go wrong thus ending up in podvile zoning for the rest of your life.. now if it was 75/25 that might be another story.. but you'd still end up with a group dispel at bel

brave leaders would take them.. and me even tho im a gambler and 75/25 odds are great i wouldnt unless absolutely had to

might as well implement a manabased caster type that will just cast 'randomspell' all the time till his mana fades and maybe one of those will be a decent spell
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:01 am

I would never take a class that would cast a determintal spell 25% of the time. There's a difference between gambling and dragging your group down. I'm not a fan of purely random affects without saving throws or the ability to work around them completely. If I wanted to have fun with random luck, I'd go play the tinker machines and suicide when I lost.

Summary: Less random. More player skill-dependant.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:54 pm

In the beginning of Homeland/Exile, I championed a Wild Mage class. Then folks asked me if I'd ever take one in a group where it could hurt the group? I of course said no, and that was about it for the Wild Mage class for HL. It's cute, but no more useful than the Myconid race...

Lath
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:59 am

myconids rule dude... implement them @once!
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:50 am

you like mushroom head?
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:50 pm

wow.... talk about your delayed reactions. *grin*
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'

Return to “T2 Ideas Archive”