Helper Rules

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Gormal
Sojourner

Helper Rules

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:33 am

Ok I brought this up in petition and wasn't given an answer so i'm moving it here.

I turned nhc off during a long run of fights because it was distracting me from my job in the group. I was promptly told that to retain my helper flag i had to keep it on at all times.

What is the reasoning for this? I know alot of helpers who dont respond to nhc at all...but do things in tells and in person with newbies. Are you trying to give us a smaller base of helpers? If there is one group of people that it is completely pointless to police in this manner it is the helpers. We do many things to help keep younger members here playing.

I for one reserve the right to toggle any public channel off as i see fit. Helper is a secondary duty to the actual game.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Apr 12, 2002 1:52 am

I've turned helper off probably about 5 times since I became one. It can get very spammy at times I'm trying to do other things, and there is already one or more people attempting to help the person on that channel.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:01 am

arishae and i both got helper status removed because we would not tog nhc back on. now newbies cant tell that we like to help using who helper.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 12, 2002 2:12 am

I suppose my main beef with this was that I've been a helper since the first day helpers were created on Soj2. I go out of my way to help newbies...any who use tells are almost 100% gauranteed alot more help then they thought they'd get. and i do alot when i am not zoning and running around to find newbies to help.

The nhc is the smallest part of what being a helper means. That you would take that away from two of the main goodie helpers saddens me. Its a good thing i care more about newbies then politics like this and will help them despite whatever flag I have on me.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:06 pm

The rules for being a helper are pretty straight forward once you are accepted to that position. There's no politics, only a commitment that you 1. leave the channel on at all times, 2. police the channel for inapropriate material, like quest and stats, and 3. most importantly, never slam a newbie.

Again, when you took that role, these as well as any questions you may have had were explained and answered. There has never been an absolute that no matter what happens you must make an effort to respond. It's always a help as availible role and I think, as long as the above basics are followed, it's been pretty flexible for the players flagged helpers.

If you want to talk about it more Gorm, feel free to send me a tell.

------------------
Laduguer the Exile Sojourn Administrator
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Apr 12, 2002 3:50 pm

I knew the rules, and the spam associated with keeping the helper channel on at all times was one of the main reasons I've never applied to be a helper. I keep OOC togged off because the spam is super annoying, and I field questions right and left from little rogues and elves, so I still get the helping done to a point. I just wouldn't have enough room on my monitor for another channel's spam.
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:50 pm

Wow. There are rules for being a helper other than Don't be a dick to Newbies and try to help with out giving a ton of info about ques/stat stuff?

Wierd.

Guess I won't ask to be put on the list.
Heh you could just client side spamgag NHC.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:53 pm

The rule that says you need to keep the channel on at all time makes absolutely no sense. If your going to have that rule, you may as well have a rule that says your not allowed to go afk. Can't someone be a helper most of the time, and concentrate on actually playing the mud some of the time?

Not to mention that whatever god is policing the helpers to make sure they have the channel togged on should probably reevaluate their priorities...

Corth

[This message has been edited by Corth (edited 04-12-2002).]
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:56 pm

Mori does not have a helper flag.

I help newbies when I have time (not running to class, etc). Granted, the bigger people can help more, but any bit of help seems to go a long way in my observation.

Helper flag is nice, but not a must. Ultimately, everyone should help others to be cool, not to have the cool flag.

Oh yeah, and there used to be quite a lot of blatant quest/zone/item stat info traded over nhc, until Kia clamped down on it. I for one am very grateful she did. Just thought I'd mention that, since the quest info bit came up.

Finally, I'd like to offer a round of applause to the helpers, since they r0x0r. =)

------------------
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Apr 12, 2002 4:59 pm

When I became a helper, I was expressly told to keep it on at all times, unless I was in an intense zone, and even then keep it on as much as possible, and tog it back on immediately after.

Not sure where the disconnect among the gods is here, but I would definitely like this clarified.

As far as my togging is concerned... I keep it on at all times regardless, and just client side gag it when I must(I've done this 0 times so far), like Salen suggested. I have a button designed for it, but haven't clicked it yet. Image

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Lalisa
Sojourner

Postby Lalisa » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:05 pm

If there are enough helpers, it shouldn't be a problem if a few toggle it, while doing something that needs concentration.

As a person who has used this channel (and thank you all for the help! Image), I sometimes miss it after lvl 10.

Could it be possible to use it for longer time than lvl 10?

I was actually also hoping it would help newer players to find each other.

We could help each other this way and take away some of the work from the true helpers.

It would hopefully be easier to find groups and true newbies.

Again, this channel is a good help and the helpers do a good job, perhaps we should make their job a tad lighter also Image
Thanks guys!

/lalisa
nedle
Sojourner

Postby nedle » Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:14 pm

as a person that got a tremendous amount of help/direction from the many folks on nhc and directly i think its sad to see individuals whom want to help newbies not be able to leverage the nhc channel because they chose to turn it off at one point to limit spamage during a zone. these folks offer a tremendous amount of support to the very few true newbies that join the game and many have gone out of their way and exhibited amounts of patience beyond what most of us are capable of delivering to help newbies. if you've ever overheard a conversation trying to explain to a newbie spellcaster how to find his guildmaster and mem spells you know what im talking about. nhc is an amazing resource for newbies (and easier to use then a direct tell) and by forcing individuals to keep the channel open at all times you are making it more difficult for folks to help newbies. let people turn the channel off and on as they see fit.

Nedle the halfling sorcerer
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Fri Apr 12, 2002 7:05 pm

I have separate windows for all venues of communication . for tells, whispers, gsays and NHC ...hell even for OOC when i have that one togged (I rarely have OOC on because I alwayS wanna reply and that isnt good when you are the ghealer) that way if i miss something . i can just scroll back, and voila .. it's there ... this helps ME a great deal ...

Just a suggestion Image

And thank you so much for letting us help in our own way Image

-Ambar

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Apr 12, 2002 8:20 pm

Sometimes I'm online, question after question comes through on NHC, and I answer what I can, but everything else is silent. Then I type who helper, and there are like 4 other helpers on, and I think to myself "go #### yourselves you lazy ########".

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:02 pm

Heh cherz I remember while I was leveling up a squid, I would always answer nhc when people asked, and you, Tod, and Arishae were like the only people I saw that weekend actually answer NHC... not a condemnation of anyone else in particular; just found that interesting.

It's funny when there are like 8 visible helpers and it falls to a level 1 char (I know I'm not a n00b, but still) to answer the level 3 human warrior's question.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:10 pm

When I see a question over NHC, often times I'll have my answer half typed out when one of the more vocal helpers, and faster, has already answered. At which point I tend to clear my command line to prevent adding to the nhc spam.

shrug, I think I turned nhc off during tiamat but that's it.

Sylvos
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Fri Apr 12, 2002 9:13 pm

What people need to realize (helpers and non helpers alike) is that having nhc toggled on is only part of being a helper. The (H)elper flag is a signal to newbies that you are available to answer questions at *ANY* time, not just when you have an unoccupied 5 minutes between being too busy to help and logging off.

Yes helpers are a great boon to this mud and as an admin, I appreciate each and every player who takes time to help someone in need.

Shar
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:45 pm

Wow. I had to go look up how to spell condescending after that.

------------------
emote Rescuepractice
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Apr 12, 2002 10:49 pm

I became a helper for the sole purpose of answering questions through tells and over the nhc channel. I don't have the time, inclination, or in many cases the ability, to go and physically help a newbie.

I also, however, fully reserve the right to turn this channel off for limited periods of time while extremely busy/spammed. If this disqualifies me from being a helper, despite my willingness to help 9:30 hours a day out of 9:45 connected, then go right ahead and remove my flag.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:20 pm

i'd also like to note that as an unguilded person i can toggle anonymous on and no newbie can know that I'm a helper whether i turn nhc on or not.

------------------
Gormal FaCtOr!

Gormal Stoneforge
Kildran T'sarith
Kelthas Orean
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>i'd also like to note that as an unguilded person i can toggle anonymous on and no newbie can know that I'm a helper whether i turn nhc on or not.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol Gormal. Sorry to tell you this, but the anonymous position is taken up by me. Please apply it at a later day.

Your truely evil,

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:33 pm

Shar:

Most helpers *want* to help. Just like in RL I tutor mathematics and programming not because I have to or am paid for it, but because I want to and have the time to do such.

That doesn't mean that I always have the time every time I walk into a computer lab.

Realize that helpers *want* to help and *will* do so on their own time, don't force them to listen to NHC spam when they are in the middle of brass.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:35 pm

Wow. . .I've got to say, this smacks of one of those stupid things that people won't bend on 'just because'.

(Quoted from Shar: "The (H)elper flag is a signal to newbies that you are available to answer questions at *ANY* time, not just when you have an unoccupied 5 minutes between being too busy to help and logging off."

I don't care who you are, you are *NEVER* availabile at *ANY* time to help anyone.

You'd have to not play at all, and not talk to people at all. . .give me a break. Why would anyone be a helper? Why not become an Imm, and sit there and not answer any petitions and monitor the NHC every second you're logged on? Sorry, this is way too rigid without _any_ appreciable reason. You want more helpers? Make the rules less _stupid_. I'd be a helper, but Im not going to sacrifice playing my character when I want.

C'mon guys, no disrespect, but I've got to side with the helpers here. . .cut 'em some slack on that silly rule and you'll probably get a bunch more volunteers. I'd be one of 'em.

Lost.

------------------

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 13, 2002 3:42 am

In order to clear up any issues here, this is the stance we take on helpers....

You guys are helping newbies. You guys are doing this on your time to assist others. You guys are helping the gods. You do NOT have to have NHC toggled on at all times. I am not sure where this started, but it is simply NOT the rule, and is NOT going to ever BE the rule. If you need to toggle it off for something, so be it. We ask you to help as much as you are able, but sure as hell ain't going to force you to have it toggled on all the time. Laduguer is in charge of newbie helpers and will handle it. He monitors whether people have it toggled or not, and we of course would hope that you have it toggled on as much as possible. He may question people who don't have it on, to make sure that there are people available.

Erevan

------------------

[This message has been edited by Erevan (edited 04-13-2002).]

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”