For all you WoW players

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:14 pm

Kifle wrote:
Llaaldara wrote:There's not really a lot you can do on WoW in an hour or 1.5 hours other then exp or do an experience/farm quest - which just got boring for me.

There isn't a 5 man instance that can't be done in 1.5 hrs and under. Not sure exactly you're getting this from. Even full MC can be done in two -- not to mention every endgame raid instance is saved so you can do a boss or two and pick up the next day...

Going to agree. With a little skill you can do all of these 5 man instances in under 1.5 hours with blue gear. I've only leveled 3 lvl 60's but what do I know.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:51 pm

One thing that's fun is trying a genuinely new server. I rolled on one that started on tuesday and it's funny as hell.

It makes all those quests you get gear from actually matter for things besides xp.

It makes all those jokes about your guild having Hogger or DM on farm status true.

In all seriousness, it's almost like playing WoW on hardmode. It's great.

I'll still play my main server too though. My current project is making a resto druid and then refusing to join any raid guilds. Hah...some things never change.
Kesena OOC: 'i wish my daddy bought me power tools'
Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone
Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Rather than seeing "subpar race/class," see "challenge."
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:18 pm

60 druid (t2), 60 lock (t2), 60 mage (t2, deleted), 60 warrior, 60 rogue, 60 shaman.

currently raiding with Ossis on Muradin server (horde)
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:01 pm

You're too much of a powergamer for the guild Derek and I are in, Ed, but you know you'd always be welcome. We just had a change of leadership and we're heading towards getting people equipped and ready to do high-end gaming.
Memorable Quotes from TorilMUD Gathering 2006

Sotana sez, 'I'll take it dirty.'
Teflor sez, 'Bobo, show me on the doll where the barbarian touched you.'
Duna sez, 'Is there anything else that needs to go in my backend?'
Pril sez, 'I'm too pretty to go to jail.'
Boboloppe sez, 'The only reason I joined Imphras was because of Sotana's ass.'
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:54 pm

Jenera wrote:You're too much of a powergamer for the guild Derek and I are in, Ed, but you know you'd always be welcome. We just had a change of leadership and we're heading towards getting people equipped and ready to do high-end gaming.

ZG and AQ20?!

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:50 am

Dalar wrote:
Jenera wrote:You're too much of a powergamer for the guild Derek and I are in, Ed, but you know you'd always be welcome. We just had a change of leadership and we're heading towards getting people equipped and ready to do high-end gaming.

ZG and AQ20?!

Lol, this crap guild I got into (just waiting for a server transfer) just got into ZG...watching new players try to do ZG is just hillarious. They'll Kill Bat/Snake boss, then completely wipe when it actually takes a bit of talent/organization on bosses like spider/bloodlord.

Didn't you quit WoW, dartan?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:40 pm

Yea but I went back. Still on Loatheb now.

Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:24 am

Meanwhile, here's my main soloing a giant murloc!

http://img206.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mutanasjd9.jpg

Dorgh group-says 'damn, even with Cofen helping Mori, they STILL can't kill someone

Hekanut says 'I know level doesn't matter much, but most won't take seriously if a level 2 claims to be the best thing before, during, and after sliced bread.'

Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:50 pm

I thought that a fresh start would be fun (rather than joining a server where mostly everyone has been in endgame for months and months), so I just rolled a troll mage on the newest PvE server, Undermine.

If anyone else happens to drop by or play there by some small chance, look me up, my name is Saerian.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:07 pm

I'm still waiting for the Hogger server.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:53 pm

Dalar wrote:
Kifle wrote:
Llaaldara wrote:There's not really a lot you can do on WoW in an hour or 1.5 hours other then exp or do an experience/farm quest - which just got boring for me.

There isn't a 5 man instance that can't be done in 1.5 hrs and under. Not sure exactly you're getting this from. Even full MC can be done in two -- not to mention every endgame raid instance is saved so you can do a boss or two and pick up the next day...

Going to agree. With a little skill you can do all of these 5 man instances in under 1.5 hours with blue gear. I've only leveled 3 lvl 60's but what do I know.

PUGS very often lack skill as I'm sure you are aware. I'm certain you, or some of the other regular WoW players here could probably run with a regular crew and do the above in said time. I'm not disputing or even doubting that. But for someone who isn't with a regular crew, or a Raid Guild, taking 20 mins of shouting in IF & using the who command and guild channels, plus 5-15 mins to get into the instance, and then another 5-15 mins waiting for the last stragglers to get there all into account, what you have left IS a shy cry short of an hour to even do the instance.

Then when in the instance, you have to deal with people constantly going afk on you in these PUGs, which is way more of a deal there then here on Toril. Not to mention people suddenly leaving to do another instance with their guild or help a guildie, and in turn giving you 5-15 mins to find a replacement..

It just got too tiring and frustrating, which resulted in me being bored, yes.

Ragorn, good question:

I thought about that exact comparison while playing it and I came to the conclusion that the two are very similar in that regard. The one defining difference was.. Toril is free. I didn't see a need to pay for the same type of game I had already stopped playing just because this one has graphics. (Yes, I know they are very different in many ways, but they are also very similar in them as well, as you’ve pointed out with the time restraint.) If you remember my main point about why I liked GW’s, it was because I could do things quickly in very little time in comparison if I wanted, which is why I played it for longer, although I don’t play either currently. Just saying, the one appealed to me more because it was less time consuming to do things.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:35 pm

Actually, I did multiple PUGs and did the zones within an hour. You swear Fires of Heaven wants to do Stratholme or Scholomance over and over for blue gear (which I've had to do for 2 characters). Just need to know who sucks and who doesn't, just like MUD.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:12 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Ragorn, good question:

I thought about that exact comparison while playing it and I came to the conclusion that the two are very similar in that regard. The one defining difference was.. Toril is free. I didn't see a need to pay for the same type of game I had already stopped playing just because this one has graphics. (Yes, I know they are very different in many ways, but they are also very similar in them as well, as you’ve pointed out with the time restraint.) If you remember my main point about why I liked GW’s, it was because I could do things quickly in very little time in comparison if I wanted, which is why I played it for longer, although I don’t play either currently. Just saying, the one appealed to me more because it was less time consuming to do things.

I dunno, matter of perception I suppose. You're not going to run any 60 instances if you only have 90 minutes from logon to logoff, that much is true. The fact that it CAN be done doesn't mean it's the way things usually work. However, with the cross-realm battlegrounds they added this week, you can usually get into a PvP group within just a couple minutes. Given an hour and a half, you could probably play through five or six battlegrounds.

However, what would you do on Toril in the same timeframe? Do you have time to get online, organize a group, get to a zone, and finish it in 90 minutes? What can you accomplish solo or in small groups?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:05 pm

Ragorn wrote:However, what would you do on Toril in the same timeframe? Do you have time to get online, organize a group, get to a zone, and finish it in 90 minutes? What can you accomplish solo or in small groups?

You mean now? Or before? Before there was a lot of older stuff I guess you could say you could do with small numbers, or form a group quickly enough for. Like 30 min Brass run for example.

Now? I have no idea. I noticed it's very hard to do anything when out of 30 visible people online, 25 are idle.

I heard about the new battlegrounds update, and that's definitely very cool - especially for all those lopsided Alliance/Moon Elf-heavy older servers.
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Fri Aug 25, 2006 5:53 pm

New cross server BG's are funny ... like I said I'm playing on a brand new server (just opened Monday), and all we do is constantly get rolled by level 19 twinks from the older, more established servers lol.

Btw theres an orc warlock named Dartan on the server too :( And he's a noob.
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:15 pm

BGs and Instances sometimes bring out the worst in me.

Earlier I was playing wannabe twink in WSG (just a few days to get sergeant for the cape then moving on) and in one battle I was totally pwning this orc hunter multiple times and each time I was doing emotes like /mock, /laugh, and /no (as in, "You will not evade or counter me, you're my bitch"), even have some macro'd now :p

Then the other day I was in BFD trying (emphasis on trying) to lead a guy through to get gravestone scepter and then when this damn gnome paladin (well a priest, but felt like a paladin) kept outhealing my damage I started yelling and screaming at it like the 50 DKP guy :p Was amazed the person with me didn't think I was some sort of psycho. Unfortunately, those battles proved to be a bit of a cockblock for me so I just handed the guy a couple gold and hearthed. Damn sword wielding orc priests on my damn plane!

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:56 pm

~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Aug 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Lahgen wrote:BGs and Instances sometimes bring out the worst in me.

Earlier I was playing wannabe twink in WSG (just a few days to get sergeant for the cape then moving on) and in one battle I was totally pwning this orc hunter multiple times and each time I was doing emotes like /mock, /laugh, and /no (as in, "You will not evade or counter me, you're my bitch"), even have some macro'd now :p

Then the other day I was in BFD trying (emphasis on trying) to lead a guy through to get gravestone scepter and then when this damn gnome paladin (well a priest, but felt like a paladin) kept outhealing my damage I started yelling and screaming at it like the 50 DKP guy :p Was amazed the person with me didn't think I was some sort of psycho. Unfortunately, those battles proved to be a bit of a cockblock for me so I just handed the guy a couple gold and hearthed. Damn sword wielding orc priests on my damn plane!

Btw /off tangent starts here.

So, BG's and Instances bring out the worst, and you're sometimes..rude to people? I'm aghast at this! The funny part is, if people are rude to you on the mud you write a post bitching about it. :P But it's obviously ok for you to be 'elitist' like you so enjoy coining the phrase. :P

Double standards rock, don't they? :P
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Sat Aug 26, 2006 2:40 am

Lahgen wrote:BGs and Instances sometimes bring out the worst in me.

owned
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:51 am

On a side note, Fandral Staghelm is a jerk.

me: "Hi, you needed some Un'goro soil?"
Staghelm: "I have vision that SHE lacks!"
me: "...oookay."

Oghma
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Oghma » Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:57 am

Lahgen wrote:Then the other day I was in BFD trying (emphasis on trying) to lead a guy through to get gravestone scepter and then when this damn gnome paladin (well a priest, but felt like a paladin) kept outhealing my damage I started yelling and screaming at it like the 50 DKP guy :p Was amazed the person with me didn't think I was some sort of psycho. Unfortunately, those battles proved to be a bit of a cockblock for me so I just handed the guy a couple gold and hearthed. Damn sword wielding orc priests on my damn plane!

Gnomes cannot be paladins OR priests. You lose.
Oghma The Lord of Knowledge, God of Bards
[ Administrator ] of TorilMUD
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:11 am

Oghma wrote:
Lahgen wrote:Then the other day I was in BFD trying (emphasis on trying) to lead a guy through to get gravestone scepter and then when this damn gnome paladin (well a priest, but felt like a paladin) kept outhealing my damage I started yelling and screaming at it like the 50 DKP guy :p Was amazed the person with me didn't think I was some sort of psycho. Unfortunately, those battles proved to be a bit of a cockblock for me so I just handed the guy a couple gold and hearthed. Damn sword wielding orc priests on my damn plane!

Gnomes cannot be paladins OR priests. You lose.
But he said Orc the second time, may have been a typo the first time?
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Lahgen
Sojourner

Postby Lahgen » Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:24 pm

I thought the same at first Oghma. But then I went to Blackfathom Deeps and saw this gnomish Twilight Acolyte heal herself. And when she started outhealing my damage consistently that's when I lost it and started going 50 DKP guy on her.

So I got a question to Blizzard: can I make a Twilight Cult character so I can have a gnome priest? :p

Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:24 am

lahgen, quit bullying people, damn
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'

Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'

Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'

Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:19 pm

Just kind of funny, just make sure to listen to it all the way through.

http://pvpisserious.ytmnd.com/
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'

Return to “General Discussion Archive”