Latest D&D PC game?

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Latest D&D PC game?

Postby Thilindel » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:28 am

I don't know how to find one online, first of all. Not even sure if the 3rd ed rules are more fun that the 2nd ed ones...What's some good D&D games out there now for PC?
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:34 am

Neverwinter Nights 2 comes out next week if I recall correctly.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Ruxur
Sojourner

Postby Ruxur » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:20 pm

they have a MMORPG out D&D online stormreach. Cirath and a few others play it. They also have a trial out for this game so you can download and play it free for a while.
Cofen group-says 'wtf, why am i missing a cursed khanjari?'
Alendar group-says 'i r rednek i can only afford the monitor i have mud on and the broken monitor under it'
Nonox tells you 'i think someone casted 'power word gay' on pril'
Malacar ASSOC:: 'must... mp...soon...underwear...cringing...at...oncoming...onslaught...'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:25 pm

D&D Online is terrible, don't bother. They're missing several core classes (Monks, Druids) and races (Gnomes, Half-Everything). And the power curve of the game is just retarded, the max level is 10 and 10th level characters have +5 vorpal swords.

Neverwinter Nights is your best bet, until NWN2 comes out.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:07 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Neverwinter Nights 2 comes out next week if I recall correctly.

Pretty sure it's next month... :(

Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty cool, just make sure you patch it with both official and fan patches before playing.

There's also supposed to be a PSP game coming out that looks good, but I don't have a PSP. :(

Other than that I don't think there's much to look forward to.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:58 pm

erm its not exactly DnD, but its similiar enough for me...

Ive got Oblivion, Elder Scrolls IV. Its huge, has an extensive class system which allows for any possible combination you could desire, you can change them (albeit slowly) at any point in the game, contains god knows how many interrelated plot lines -any of which you can follow at any time, and did I mention, its HUGE HUGE HUGE. Probably the biggest world I've ever seen. Graphics are awesome, too. Decent combat engine, magic spell repetoire, etc.. Narrated by Patrick Stewart.

Drawbacks, its one person only, and they seem to use the same damn voice for half the women in the first town so far.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:17 am

Ragorn wrote:D&D Online is terrible, don't bother. They're missing several core classes (Monks, Druids) and races (Gnomes, Half-Everything). And the power curve of the game is just retarded, the max level is 10 and 10th level characters have +5 vorpal swords.

Neverwinter Nights is your best bet, until NWN2 comes out.

True, it's not great, but it's amusing enough. The power curve can be attributed as much to it being set in Eberron as to bad planning. However, it is still a pretty young game. If you want a good D&D game, I'd look elsewhere, at least for another six months.

Personally, I still reinstall the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games now and then to play them again. Temple of Elemental Evil was pretty good, though having Iuz hand me my ass as a hat a few times sort of made me set it asside for a while.

Neverwinter Nights wasn't terrible, but it wasn't all that great either (I have a hard time thinking of it as a D&D game because the only thing it really shares with the system is a setting), but its sequel does look pretty good so far.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:39 pm

Cirath wrote:The power curve can be attributed as much to it being set in Eberron as to bad planning.

I'd more attribute it to extremely poor planning on Turbine's part, than the world. I've run several Eberron tabletop games, and they were very good games indeed. My players love the world. Eberron is built in the 'high magic, indiana jones-ish' style, and isn't for everyone. It's too bad they screwed up the world in DDO so much. Limiting it to a single city on Xen'Drik is apalling, and there's enough missing from the game for me to truly call it incomplete. Limiting PC's to level 10 is just a slap in the face, imo.

I'm heavily anticipating NWN2, though where I am going to find time to play it is still up in the air. *sigh*
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:14 pm

Eberron is magic-heavy, but it isn't Monty Haul. They also didn't REALLY set the game in Eberron... there are Warforged, and there are arcane marks on the doors, but they're missing about 80% of the campaign setting (even if you don't count the rest of the world map). Artificers? Dragonmarks? Shifters? Only four houses represented?

DDO was ok, I played it for about two months. But it's not a complete game. Lots of base classes, races, skills, and spells are missing, there are NO prestige classes, and half the feats don't make any sense (why does Cleave hit everyone in front of you?).

For what it's worth, they really nailed the dungeon atmosphere. The dungeon levels are some of the most convincing environments I've seen to date in an MMO. It's just such a shame the core game engine is so gutted... DDO is fun, but it's not a good representation of D&D.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:29 pm

Dead on there, Ragorn. I agree - it doesn't feel like Eberron. Eberron has a rather unique feel and flavor that I very much like... DDO is missing the vast majority of that.

How cool would it be to have a fight online with creatures on board a lightning rail car?!
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:42 pm

Malacar wrote:Limiting PC's to level 10 is just a slap in the face, imo.

In every MMO I have played or heard of, they start with a lower level cap than they intend (or raise it later on for other reasons). The same is true for DDO. The level cap is supposed to be increasing in late September/October from what I've heard lately, though I am not sure by how much.

Ragorn wrote:DDO is fun, but it's not a good representation of D&D.

Yeah, that is pretty much the sum of it, though that will be true of most video game adaptations simply because not all of the mechanics translate well.

Malacar wrote:I agree - it doesn't feel like Eberron.

This I couldn't really argue on. I have only just recently started reading the Eberron material, and I doubt I will play in it any time in the near future.
Sundara
Sojourner

Postby Sundara » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:47 pm

Eberron is a fantasticly awesome world but when there is no tabletop campaign sessions going on, I think replacing it with NWN2 will be enjoyable. Loved the game when it first came out and I'm sure I'll enjoy part duex! But then again, there is always Dungeon Siege too. I've gotta get the other half! Since I haven't played online games in almost a year, these games are beckoning me once again. *hisss* ;p
When poverty comes knocking on your door, love escapes through the window.

-German Proverb-
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:55 pm

Cirath... Have you ever known another MMO to release so few levels, though? You can get to 10th level in 3 days.

I should know.. I have 5 10th level characters. I only play Mondays with some RL friends now, though.

Also - seriously.. September/october for the level cap? It should have been released months ago, when people hit level 10 in the first week...

You can't possibly deny the game feels half finished though, I hope?
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Malacar wrote:Cirath... Have you ever known another MMO to release so few levels, though? You can get to 10th level in 3 days.

The number of levels is a bit misleading, since you neglect to mention ranks. It could be argued that there are 50 levels. However, it is a bit easy (though most MMOs are this way) to level to the current cap.

Malacar wrote:You can't possibly deny the game feels half finished though, I hope?

No, I can't deny it. In fact, I agree whole heartedly, but I attribute that in part to it being a young game. It does seem to be growing more slowly than others that I have played, though. I am giving it three months to really capture my interest before i switch back to City of Heroes.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Oh

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:44 pm

Oh, if you want to try another DND game Thilindel try playing Pool of Radiance for the PC, think it came out like 2 years ago. Once you finish the game you'll want to commit suicide and might contemplate dating men.

The original was such a good game, and this new one sucked massive sloth parts. Tyranthraxus rules.
Malacar
Sojourner

Re: Oh

Postby Malacar » Wed Sep 20, 2006 4:10 am

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:Oh, if you want to try another DND game Thilindel try playing Pool of Radiance for the PC, think it came out like 2 years ago. Once you finish the game you'll want to commit suicide and might contemplate dating men.

The original was such a good game, and this new one sucked massive sloth parts. Tyranthraxus rules.

HORRIBLE GAME.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”