scribe

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
amolol
Sojourner

scribe

Postby amolol » Thu Dec 14, 2006 12:39 am

so.... will we be able to scribe spells onto scrolls? my thoughts on this are

the chances are based on your level of scribe the scribed scrolls can fail due to errors in the scribe its self (based on level of scribe)

a level 50 mage should only be able to scribe up to a 5th circle spell.

im sure there will be more thoughts and that this wont happen but it would be nifty
i dont know what your problem is, but i bet its hard to pronounce

myspace.com/tgchef
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Thu Dec 14, 2006 2:13 am

ohhh.. nice idea!!!
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:09 am

what about non offense spells only?
id scrolls, armor scrolls,invis, detect invis,magic,good,evil minor creation, dispel magic

nothing like stone displace haste blur ect ect

myspace.com/tgchef
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:16 am

2.0 would actually make this idea a lot more viable than it would be right now. If you had to take ranks in a skill to even use the scrolls (chance of failure and all that), coupled with a steep price curve on spell circles, I could see even a dragonscales scroll quest. This would be a neat idea, kind of like recharging staves.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:20 pm

Scribe Scroll is a feat in D&D. In fact, it's a feat that all Wizards get as a free bonus feat at level 1. There is no chance of failure, but there is a material (read: gold) cost, and it costs experience points as well. The costs are very reasonable, but they add up if you like to carry a bag of holding full of scrolls around with you.

How this makes it into Toril 2.0 is anyone's guess.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:25 pm

What is not mentioned about scrolls - and wands for that matter, is that one must belong to a class that will, at some point gain the ability to use the spell contained within the item. Or have sufficient proficiency in the Use Magic Device skill.

How this makes it into Toril 2.0 will be revealed later.
Eilistraee
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:40 pm

Eilistraee wrote:What is not mentioned about scrolls - and wands for that matter, is that one must belong to a class that will, at some point gain the ability to use the spell contained within the item. Or have sufficient proficiency in the Use Magic Device skill.

As a Bard, that makes me very happy. :)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:33 pm

Eilistraee wrote:What is not mentioned about scrolls - and wands for that matter, is that one must belong to a class that will, at some point gain the ability to use the spell contained within the item. Or have sufficient proficiency in the Use Magic Device skill.

True. In order for a Fighter to read a scroll of Stoneskin, he would have to burn most of his very-scarse skill points in Use Magic Device. And even if he did so, reading the scroll would not be a sure bet because of the UMD check involved.

It's easier for Bards (and Rogues), who have UMD as an in-class skill.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:49 pm

Ragorn wrote:

True. In order for a Fighter to read a scroll of Stoneskin, he would have to burn most of his very-scarse skill points in Use Magic Device. And even if he did so, reading the scroll would not be a sure bet because of the UMD check involved.

It's easier for Bards (and Rogues), who have UMD as an in-class skill.

Agreed. Barring a high-int, high-cha fighter, I'd say this is grotesquely cost-inefficient for higher level spells such as stoneskin. The failure rate will be considerable. For something cheaper like shield, it might conceivably be viable, but potions are still your best bet if UMD isn't a class skill.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Thu Dec 14, 2006 10:42 pm

This begs the question of whether Use Magic Device will allow you to bypass the restrictions (alignment, race, and class) of equipment with a sufficient number of ranks. I'd love to see an evil bard swinging a holy avenger about.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Thu Dec 14, 2006 11:27 pm

yes i was fully aware that one needs the UMD feat to use things i was not speaking from a warrior stand point at all. well i could have been but thats a silly warrior.

and way to bring back my recharable staff idea gormal :P

myspace.com/tgchef
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:28 am

Cirath wrote:This begs the question of whether Use Magic Device will allow you to bypass the restrictions (alignment, race, and class) of equipment with a sufficient number of ranks. I'd love to see an evil bard swinging a holy avenger about.

By the skill description yes, though the actual DC of emulating a Holy Avenger the subject of some contention. It's high, whatever it is ;)
- Ragorn
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Don't most weapons on that level have some sort of mundane intelligence that won't allow someone of an off alignment to wield them anyhow?
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Dec 15, 2006 10:51 pm

Tasan wrote:Don't most weapons on that level have some sort of mundane intelligence that won't allow someone of an off alignment to wield them anyhow?

The Holy Avenger isn't an artifact weapon in D&D, or even an intelligent weapon. It's only usable by Paladins, but UMD lets you "trick" a magic item into think you're a class other than you are.
- Ragorn
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Dec 16, 2006 4:45 am

Ragorn wrote:The Holy Avenger isn't an artifact weapon in D&D, or even an intelligent weapon. It's only usable by Paladins, but UMD lets you "trick" a magic item into think you're a class other than you are.

I am fairly sure it is usable by anyone of good alignment, but only a paladin recieves full benefits from it. Of course, I may be remembering 3.0 or even 2nd edition rules. Either way, I was simply using the holy avenger as an example of widly recognized aligned weapon.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:10 am

cool, can replace my bag full of fireball scrolls.
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:50 am

- Ragorn
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Sat Dec 16, 2006 1:36 pm

So, in reality, a holy avenger can already be used by anyone. Yay me for picking a bad example!

Just pretend I used the Nine Lives Stealer as an example instead.
Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:18 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Tasan wrote:Don't most weapons on that level have some sort of mundane intelligence that won't allow someone of an off alignment to wield them anyhow?

The Holy Avenger isn't an artifact weapon in D&D, or even an intelligent weapon. It's only usable by Paladins, but UMD lets you "trick" a magic item into think you're a class other than you are.

*cough* Actually, no it doesn't. UMD allows you to emulate a class feature, but not a class. You cannot fool a Holy Avenger into thinking you are a Paladin.
Mirlantharn
Sojourner

Postby Mirlantharn » Fri Dec 22, 2006 8:25 am

I've mentioned this idea before, but once again for the sake of all that's better....

How about allowing us to rent, but specify what our character might be doing all the RP time that we're away? Ie, I'm renting for a while and want to make a scroll. If I come back too soon, online, then there might be a message that I'm only partially done and perhaps (an estimation, but describe it as such!) how much time I still would need for such an endeavor. Also, don't make it _too_ long in duration, so I could RP that I would finish up the current scroll or such before venturing out with a group....

Mirlantharn
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:01 am

Hrm, I see people with myriad alts abusing the hell out of that.
amolol
Sojourner

Postby amolol » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:06 am

no more than they abuse the current scrolls. thats why i requested that there be somany failable things involved with making your own scrolls.

myspace.com/tgchef

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”