Wii/PS3 Owners? Post feedback here! (pics)

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Yasden
Sojourner

Wii/PS3 Owners? Post feedback here! (pics)

Postby Yasden » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:16 am

Ok, so I had nothing better to do on Sunday morning. Insomnia had me out of bed at 3:45 AM, so I got dressed and drove over to my local Target and stood in line. Ended up with #56 out of 69 units.

I was a bit disappointed that they didn't get any of the 1 gig SD cards in. Then they ran out of the nunchuk controllers, so I was only able to buy a 2nd remote. I did, however, walk away with Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel, and Excite Truck (wanted to try this racing game before I bought one of the others with the steering wheel accessory).

All in all, I've been pretty impressed with the playability of the games, particularly Red Steel and Zelda, utilizing both controllers simultaneously. It takes a while to get used to, but it feels more interactive than just sitting on the couch hunched over with a controller in your hands.

The resolution, however...I *definitely* will be buying a component video cable when they're released for the system, as it seems the standard A/V cables prevent you from utilizing the progressive scan (albeit 480p, but still).

I'll post some pics of my unit and some shots of the games on my 62" Toshiba DLP soon. I managed to get a shot (crappy cell phone image) of the ticket they passed out before I handed it in, too.

The downside to all of this was that I was #11 in line for the PS3 at Target, and they only had 8. I was totally looking forward to playing Lair.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Re: Wii/PS3 Owners? Post feedback here! (pics)

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:38 am

I can do pics.

Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:38 am

Jennifer and I went out on sunday night around 12:30 cause I wanted to check the 24hr walmarts in the area and from what I saw, most sold out within 10 minutes or so. We drove past a best buy and a circuit city in our area and they both had lines that late, so screw that. Went home, went to bed around 3ish.

Woke up at 6:30a, checked out stores inventories, targets specifically and found one near where I work(about 15 mins from my house) and they were getting 69 units(confirmed), so I drove out there and got there around 7a. There was already a line and I decided to wait too, turns out I was 39 out of 69 for a Wii.

I picked up the basics, Wii, Trauma Center, and Zelda, of course. No need for the SD card for awhile. So far i'm enjoying it a lot, Wii sports is fun too. Need to pickup another controller or so and make Jennifer play it with me, but overall good stuff. I'll pickup a 360 prolly before I snag a ps3, and I can wait on both for a year or two more. No rush for either.

Wii was the first system I ever bought at release. I enjoy it a lot, woo.
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:43 am

Mine is Vohisa's early xmas prezzie to me. We went to pick it up together on Sunday, and she wisely said "Costco won't have any fucking kids, plus you need a membership". Showed up 45 min before opening and got bundle #32 out of 46.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:35 am

*sigh*

No interest in the PS3 due to price, but I really want a Wii... :(

I might be getting a 360 on Thursday though, due to a sale Amazon.com is having. Core system for $100 if anyone's interested... just don't get one before I do!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:14 am

Sarvis wrote:*sigh*

I might be getting a 360 on Thursday though, due to a sale Amazon.com is having. Core system for $100 if anyone's interested... just don't get one before I do!

That was linked on Fark, so expect about seven hundred million people spamming the purchase button =/
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:52 am

How do you think I found out about it? :P

It's still worth a shot...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:53 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Need to pickup another controller or so and make Jennifer play it with me

Do I REALLY have to spend time with you :(

Note: Watching your S/O golf with a remote control sized game controller: Priceless

By the way that was his early birthday too :P (only by a couple weeks tho) We got a treadmil for our Christmas gift, maybe next month we can actually USE it
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:40 am

^^^^FAT NERD ALERT^^^^
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:00 am

Says the guy who makes posts weekly about FF games.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:13 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Sarvis wrote:*sigh*

That was linked on Fark, so expect about seven hundred million people spamming the purchase button =/

I think Amazon just got a delayed Farking...

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Nov 23, 2006 7:44 pm

Ambar wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Need to pickup another controller or so and make Jennifer play it with me

Do I REALLY have to spend time with you :(

Play with each other? ~
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Drache
Sojourner

Postby Drache » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:11 am

Gormal wrote:^^^^FAT NERD ALERT^^^^

BALD NERD ALERT!
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:25 pm

Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Nov 29, 2006 4:45 am

Thank god kids will never have to actually participate in sports now that they can just throw things around in the house!
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Tanji Smanji
Sojourner

Postby Tanji Smanji » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:46 pm

Tasan wrote:Thank god kids will never have to actually participate in sports now that they can just throw things around in the house!

This is new? I know I've gotten in trouble for doin that many many times over the years. Including just 2 months ago...
How to go from Waelos to Weylarii.

Weylarii group-says 'oh shit! my penis is stuck in the toaster. afk'

Corth ASSOC:: 'up to you.. need a ranger, but if you want to afk i can probably find someone else'
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:28 am

Finished Rayman, working on Zelda (it'll be a while).

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:41 am

How was Rayman? I loved that dumb game :P

Already bought rechargeable batteries for Michael's remote .. had to!
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 12:08 pm

Got those for the remote, and the wireless ps2 controller! Burning it out on ff12. Must beat that ,then I go back into zelda.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Dec 01, 2006 3:45 pm

Ambar wrote:How was Rayman? I loved that dumb game :P

It's pretty sweet Jen. The "rabbids" are these goofy-looking psycho bunnies, and the plot is that they kidnap Rayman at his picnic, then throw him into a dungeon, and he has to compete in an arena against the arena rabbids, while the rabbid nation watches from the stands. Every day there are four small arena games and one big one, and you unlock extra outfits etc as you clear more games.

The small games are awesome, and take about 2 mins each. There's a guitar hero/DDR music timing game, where you hold the Wiimote+chuk like drumsticks, then beat out time, there's a mine-detecting game where you hold the Wiimote to your ear, walk with the chuk and the speaker beeps when you get near mines. There's a marble maze game where you tilt the wiimote to tilt a maze and try to tip a marble through it. There's a jump-rope game where you actually jump rope and lots more I'm not mentioning.

The main games are made of win and great glory. There's one where you race warthogs, using the Wiimote to spank them into higher speed. There's a shooting one where you aim the wiimote like a gun and use the chuk as an extending claw to snatch rabbids. Those two are the common main games and get repeated a lot, but there are a few more, and it's all great fun.

I'd call Rayman #3 title of the launch after Twilight Princess and Trauma Centre, and ahead of Excite Truck at #4.

Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri Dec 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Okay.. have you tossed the Wiimote yet??

I checked out that link and I must say I laughed myself silly. Buh bye 3000 dollar big flatpanel!!!

How do you report that one to your insurance company if you carry it....
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 5:06 pm

Lilira wrote:Okay.. have you tossed the Wiimote yet??

I checked out that link and I must say I laughed myself silly. Buh bye 3000 dollar big flatpanel!!!

How do you report that one to your insurance company if you carry it....

God no :P I don't swing the damn thing at 80mph either though :P
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:20 pm

You know, thinking about it... how DO people manage to throw their wiimotes? All you have to do to avoid it is not open your hand...

Branthur
Sojourner

Postby Branthur » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Sarvis wrote:You know, thinking about it... how DO people manage to throw their wiimotes? All you have to do to avoid it is not open your hand...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/29
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:43 pm

Branthur wrote:
Sarvis wrote:You know, thinking about it... how DO people manage to throw their wiimotes? All you have to do to avoid it is not open your hand...

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/11/29

I was just doing normal stuff.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:38 pm

It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:12 am

Originally posted by Xisiqomelir: using the Wiimote to spank them

Originally posted by Lilira: have you tossed the Wiimote yet??

Hmmm, sounds like a wiii tad too much fun!
BEER
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:46 pm

There's a wrist strap on the remote that you use to prevent ever throwing it. I use it full-time, as I don't want my 62" DLP being destroyed. :P

So, as promised, here's a few photos I've taken. I haven't taken any shots of Red Steel or Excite Truck yet. I bought the new Tony Hawk game for my son for Christmas too, so I might get some shots of that in 3 weeks. :P

Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:03 pm

So, I got this email from Nintendo the other day. Thought people might find it funny, here's a story on it.
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Wed Dec 06, 2006 5:13 pm

Causey said, "Anytime you have a high-risk entry like this, you feel that your life is at risk." He declined to say what made the arrest high risk.

wow now thats just scary. i can see how the briefing for this arrest went.

Sheriff: Ok guys this is going to be a tough one. Where's SWAT?
SWAT Cpt: Here chief.
Sheriff: Good. Word has it we have 3, yes THREE!!! nerdy kids holed up in a house with a few PS3's.
SWAT Cpt: Are they armed?
Sheriff: We have reason to believe they are.
SWAT Cpt: Any knowledge of with what? Automatic weapons? Shotguns?
Sheriff: Worse. Much worse I'm afraid, PS3 CONTROLLERS!
*cue ominous music*
*Camera pans around the room. Everyone one looks terriffied.*
Sheriff: Okay men hold it together. We're going in there firing.
Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'
--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:46 pm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16222369/

wtf is a Nintendo service center??
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Nearing the end of Twilight Princess now...here's some more teasers. I'll post Ganon battle pics when I'm done. :P

I was in my Target yesterday doing some last minute stocking stuffer junk and lo and behold, there's a goddamn 60gig PS3, last one. There were two others being purchased at that very moment. I *almost* grabbed it, but I knew that I'd end up dropping a grand after I bought games/accessories, and with my move coming up next week...well, I'm gonna have to wait until around March or so. :( DAMMIT! I was totally looking forward to playing Genji, too.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:56 pm

On a related note, this article brings up the technology I'm currently working on. We don't sell accelerometers to Nintendo, but they are the same type of thing I'm working on as far as MEMs devices.

We mostly make tactical MEMS sensors... which some of you will know what that means I hope...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Fri Dec 22, 2006 3:28 pm

The web browser hit today. I found myself already browsing this forum through it. :(
Minofagal
Sojourner

Postby Minofagal » Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:50 am

Kaisi tells you 'get smirn, he's better than me'

--HELP! My legs aren't long enough!--

Return to “General Discussion Archive”