Todrael's Guide to Getting EQ in a Hand-out System

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

Todrael\'s Guide to Getting EQ in a Hand-out System

Postby Todrael » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:22 pm

The dos and don'ts to get you that eq you've always wanted, and a bunch of friends and good times in the process.

1) Do your job in the zone.
2) Don't go afk excessively.
3) Don't ghost/go linkdead.
4) Don't call other people in the group names, regardless of what they might have said or done.
5) If you disagree with a strategy being used, only say so once, and say why you don't like it.
6) If you die, don't say anything negative about it unless it's something like 'that could have gone better.'
7) Be nice to those around you.
8) Play/zone consistently.
9) Don't whine about splits, or say they're unfair.
10) If you realize you're getting angry, step away from the situation, whether this means togging tells, togging assoc channel, ignoring someone, what have you.
11) If you really really hate the way the group is going, ask to leave. Don't bitch about how horrible the group is. Just leave.
12) Ask the leader up front how items are going to be split, even if you know how they're going to split them.
13) When a leader asks what zone people would like to do, mention the zones you want to do, but don't say why unless asked.
14) Have a no-summon item, a fire prot item, and a waterbreathing item.
15) Tell the leader you're having fun, when you're having fun.
16) Tell the leader he did a good job, if he did a good job.
17) Do not tell the leader he sucks, if he sucks. Just don't group with him again, or don't expect his groups to be the most fun for you if you do.
18) Do not expect the best item from a split. Hope for it. You have all the time in the world.
19) If you really have issues with someone, take them up with that person in a mature fashion at a time when they're willing to deal with it.
20) Apologize if you ever really make someone else mad, after you've given them and/or yourself time to cool down.
21) Don't flee under any circumstances unless the leader specifically tells you that you may.
22) If you don't follow these rules, don't post your shit to the BBS.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 04-24-2002).]
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed Apr 24, 2002 4:43 pm

Well said Todrael.

Very well said.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Valke
Sojourner

Postby Valke » Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:39 pm

Better Idea Just give it all to me!, Na, I have finnaly lead my first zone(?), and I must say! Wow, what a pain in the ass!! Ive really learned something! Respect Zone leaders!!

As for Todrael's post, I must agree! Well said!

Grp, The beginning is now here. Feed me your knowledge!!

[This message has been edited by Valke (edited 04-24-2002).]
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:11 pm

But Todrael,
What if the piece of eq I want IS no-summon, or wb?( I have neither, I suppose I should just get my ass up to bs...)

(feels the need to add he's not all that serious, and just poking fun at the catch-22 in your list.)

------------------
Rausrh licks you.

[This message has been edited by You! Hey stop that!(edited 04-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Rausrh (edited 04-24-2002).]
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:23 pm

Waterbreathing eq is very easy to get either solo or 2-3 people. That rule was more along the lines of, if you go to CC, have no-summon, if you go to SG, have water-breathing, else you can hurt your group by going there. Add fire prot to the list. But of course you might have people like me, that carry around several extra of each that can be loaned out during the zone, so that this won't be as much of a problem.

The point being, having this eq should be a priority for you to be a good zoner.

------------------

Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:31 pm

Well said Tod.

Be courteous and considerate, which in some cases requires a bit of time to cool down before replying.

Toplack

------------------
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:44 pm

Cool, you get items for just leaving a group you dont like. Actually didn't know that. Thanks for that tip.

/Disoputlip
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:46 pm

I'm glad I'm not an evil, or else I'd never get anything.

------------------
-Yayaril
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 24, 2002 8:56 pm

if any of you nerdy college kids wants to write a thesis on hypocrisy, sojourn is the best source for it.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:14 pm

These rules were posted because in another thread someone mentioned hand-outs are biased. I believe they are as well. They're biased towards people that act in the ways I've stated, giving them a more influential sway on where the items go.

Disoputlip: That rule is more similar to the removing yourself from the situation rule. If you leave the group, you won't be exuding negativity, which is a large cause of many people not being liked by the community that is going to be doing the splitting. Getting eq from a hand-out system is not a one-day process. It's something you build as your character advances, every day, all the time.

Teyaha: I am not a leader. I don't know what leaders want exactly. All I know is what I do. And what do you know, I get eq. These are the guidelines I try to follow, the actions I try to take when the situation calls for it. I do not always follow all of them, as you might know, no human is perfect.

I guess another good rule would be to always apologize if someone is angry or upset with you. This is something I always try to do as well.

If your comment about hipocrisy was directed at me, as it seems it was, I would like to say I've had a lot of leaders, gods, and others, already tell me how great this set of rules is. I zone to zone, and this set of rules is what I follow daily.

If anyone wants me to elaborate on any more of these points, I'd be more than willing to.

------------------

Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:27 pm

I've noticed a few evils playing goodies of late, never thought that would ever happen with all the criticism and flaming and insults flying from one end of the spectrum to the other and I've always gotten the feeling that evils only have contempt for us goodies....

Shrug, i have no right to say anything
but i post an opinion here now and then

just lately i miss what the game used to be
and not this competitive, eq hungry, elitist mess and i know some of you out there feel the same

just a very small voice in the sojourn world whispering to the masses Image

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:48 pm

it was just a general statement, tod. there's too many examples to pick ust one.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Wed Apr 24, 2002 9:57 pm

Yes Jenera, i noticed that too..(there are more and more evils playing goodies now).. Most of them say they decided to stop playing their evil not because of particular ppl.. most of them are good and nice, but because of the Society and Cliques.. I suppose that would include the hand-out system and the trade embargo against goodies.. I'm not sure what else (or if those 2 things even bother ppl) since i never really played an evil char..

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:08 pm

1) You tells Turg, "I got your back."
2) You tells Zrax, "You got my back?"
3) You tells Yssilk, "Ress me when ready"
4) You tells Ezzallixxel, "Beam me up Scottie!"
5) You tells Gura, "Danke it, Padashaw own you"
6) You tells Lazzraxxill, "Send in the reinforcement!"
7) You tells Lurgo, "Get your big fat ass here!"
8) You petitions, "It wasn't me, I didn't break it."
9) "Same shit different boot!"
10) You tells Gyrx, "Lol, there goes Yasmine."
11) You tells Gromikazer, "Nothing like CR in CC."
12) You tells Wobb, "Time to die!"
13) You group-says, "Deep Dragon? a cake walk"
14) You tells Gromsharulaz, "Summon now!"
15) You tells Ossina, "Hmm... this one? alright, here we go!"
16) You tells Gurzog, "Hmmn... long fight, ready when you are."
17) You tells Jegzed, "Doh! hehe bad Jegzed, wimpy on!"
18) You tells Ssryth, "Danke, you level too slow lich boy!"
19) You tells Cherzra, "Damn troll regen!"
20) You tells Sslarris, "Wow, your back to playing again!"

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:14 pm

21) Don't flee under any circumstances UNLESS the leader specifically tells you that you may.

- Ragorn

------------------
Gromikazer
Sojourner

Postby Gromikazer » Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:16 pm

I guess I am a leader of sorts. What Todrael said pretty much nailed it on the head. It comes down to don't make the job harder when it dosen't need to be.

P.s. Remembers why todrael always has a spot in his group.

------------------
Gromikazer Terrorforge -Veldruk- Orbdrin D'oloth
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Apr 24, 2002 11:30 pm

Updated the list. Maybe this could even become something to refer people to if they have questions about zoning Image

------------------
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 1:17 am

we sure notice when evils play their alt goodies .. how bout the massive influx of goodies going evil??

Tod .. you are an awesome guy ... you go EVERYwhere .. you do everything .. I really look to you as a role model .. you also are one of the nicest people, most courteous (you DO rememebr there ARE women who play .. who dont always wanna hear the nasty stuff)
I remember a particualrly nasty joke being told .. and you sending me a tell apologizing for the *boys*

hugs and cheers!!

-me

------------------
Ambar -= Squishin de Squid =-
Baikalisan
Sojourner

Postby Baikalisan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:52 am

*pucker up Ambar* rofl just kiddin! (i can do that she's my buUuddy! (Pauley Shore)

Great list Tod, thanks for takin the time to spell it out. I see you got the usual i did he did they did i didn't stuff!

Equipment is a big part of this game (thats right i said it, g a m e) but it's not the only part.
I've felt myself feel real anger and hatred towards ppl in this game... and then i sit there and think to myself.. How in Gods name can you feel hatred towards a person you do not know? thats not a normal reaction..

I took a break for almost a year.. Im back now... i have a level 49 duergar cleric.. and i come pretty close to following all of the above rules. It makes my time in the mud fun. I get to go places and learn about zones and ppl.

I dont get angry anymore. That in itself has made the game worth playing again.

------------------
Baikalisan - Valsharess Elg'Caress - Orbdrin D'oloth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:01 am

Go Todrael =)

*grin* Valke
rofl Blung!

I used to carry 2 spare wb items. now I carry 2 spare fprot instead.

Depending on the leading style, you may also want to carry protgas. Nothing like a hasty retreat from your favorite zone only to die ignobly on smoke Image
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:04 am

*grin Ambar*
I didn't mean what I said in a nasty way or anything, more like I was curious because of all these posts I've been reading started by evils. I apologize if it came across differently Image

I have a drow cleric myself with whom I do my majority of roleplaying as a priestess of Eilistraee. I love to roleplay and the few goodies who even bother now are elites who are often constantly busy or little paladins dragging me to the justice for slapping the salesman. Everyone can tell I am a goodie though Image Hee

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:34 am

Blung you know I always have you back. Let me know if you ever wanna rally the troops out of retirement.
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Thu Apr 25, 2002 6:38 am

G'job Tod - very nice

And Blungo, i'm still laughing Image

I feel honored that I've experienced 19 of those 20 moments with you! Image

Good times, good times

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:25 pm

You got it pretty good todrael and I fully agree.

now tell me what can you expect if you have a shitty connection, play 8+ hours a day for 7-8 months, and do a decent job at playing your class?

should the part time player not even bother to play? should the eq centric person who can't follow all the rules not even play? let me polarize it a bit more, should the person who isnt elite not even play cause he aint never going to get anything close to a fair shake? should he get nothing in return for tons of effort, be it misguided, failed, or just fucked up?

no one will disagree with what youve stated, but few are everything on your list. how did everyone else get their shit hooked up?
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Apr 25, 2002 12:44 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
now tell me what can you expect if you have a shitty connection, play 8+ hours a day for 7-8 months, and do a decent job at playing your class?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I recall handing you Glammads crown in an Invasion trip.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:02 pm

that trip was what 6-7 months ago? i maintain my position that splits appear to have been getting more and more lopsided since the start of the year.

i wonder whether i wouldve gotten first pick if we had surtur/twilight...

but i was really excited about that trip and amazed that warlord was handed to me (even though i was the highest melee who had been there for that what was it 8 hour trip?). i still appreciate everyone who went on that ill fated trip, and im pretty sure i even remember most of the people who went. even that korean thief dagaboda who i basically havent seen since and poor rokub and gokal(gromi) who did a lot of spirit walking / dieing.

you know but that trip reminds me of something. does sighing count as bitching about split? cause a prominent well liked player sighed right after warlord was handed to me. which reminds me of another invasion trip that a different well known prominent player sighed right after someone else got warlord. never heard anyone call either of those two loot whores either. they probably dont even remember doing it now. maybe it was unrelated to the split and just amazing timing.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 04-25-2002).]
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:04 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
that trip was what 6-7 months ago? i maintain my position that splits appear to have been getting more and more lopsided since the start of the year. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've led zones about 7-10 times since early december.. Image

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:10 pm

I REFUSE TO HAVE MY CONSTRUCTIVE THREAD HIJACKED BY PEOPLE WHINING ABOUT SPLITS.

Take it somewhere else, Kiryan, you're breaking rule #22, and it's pissing me off.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 04-25-2002).]
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:24 pm

the thing about the splits being lopsided isnt aimed at anyone. its a generality that ive been feeling that may not even be true. i cant say that ive ever felt your (Jegzed) splits were unfair, but ive only been on 2 or 3 of your trips.

it seems that splits have been getting more lopsided meaning that i assumed after the top players got almost everything for their class that other people would start getting those things for their primary class. however, my perception is that these top players are now getting top eq for thier alts or classes that werent considered for top eq are now being considered while people who have been waiting in the background continue to wait to get top eq for their primary class.

again my favorite example, diamondines. top warriors got them, now rogues acquiring them and occasionally casters. 5 months after being promised by two separate leaders that next time would be my time i still dont have any. again this is just an example to illustrate my point, not a bitch about not getting diamondines.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:26 pm

heh ok, but you still didnt answer my question.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:38 pm

heh ok, but you still didnt answer my question.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"You have reached the destination. Stop pushing."

-Adam Corolla
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:36 am

Go to bed Mike. You're being redundant.
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sat Apr 27, 2002 12:59 am

Whats redundant mean?

Whats redundant mean?

Snurgt take no prisoner
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Apr 27, 2002 5:25 am

Rule 23: Don't post on the BBS that the leader is an elitest @#%^$%&$& because they didn't have room in their group for you just now.
Rule 24: (ammendmant to rule 23) Don't use swearwords, insults, derogoratory, sarcastic, or condescending remarks in your post starting with the leaders name either.

Safe Travels Image
Sarell - Calm Mist - Darkstorm Rising
Ladak - UnCalm Fist - Temperature Rising
*skip*

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”