If this doesn't need fixed i dont know what does

Post all your MUD stories and capture logs here.
Zoldren
Sojourner

If this doesn't need fixed i dont know what does

Postby Zoldren » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:01 am

Dk Vault PRE dragon fight -
whole group died i died somewhere in the middle. Krolb had about 1300 hp when died. Nobody I know has ever seen this proc before... so 'super rare' heh maybe... but this plus the freaking dragon fight.. forget about it

I dont know which 'area' god to send this to so i'm posting it here.

<807h>
Dlavizz Rhe'Shashal, the High Priest of Vhaeraun hits the spirit scorpion.

Suddenly, Dlavizz Rhe'Shashal, the High Priest of Vhaeraun raises his arms and screams in anger! All at
once, every weapon in the room flies out of it's owners hands,
careening wildly through the room in a vicious storm of steel
and blades, striking everyone in the room! As the spell fades,
each weapon returns to it's owners hands.

the spectre of a Shunn Tahaladar guard is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of the spectre of a Shunn Tahaladar guard.
the spectre of Sheeress of the Many Eyes is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of the spectre of Sheeress of the Many Eyes.
Iqhas is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Iqhas.
Iqhas stops invoking abruptly!
Iqhas has left the group.
Iqhas has quit the game, consent lost.
Xerriserixom is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Xerriserixom.
Xerriserixom stops following you.
Xerriserixom has left the group.
Darah is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Darah.
Darah stops following you.
Darah has left the group.
the spirit scorpion is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of the spirit scorpion.
The spirit scorpion quickly fades away to the sound of sharp clacking...
Babo is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Babo.
Babo stops following you.
Babo has left the group.
Krolb is dead! R.I.P.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Krolb.
Krolb stops following you.
Krolb has left the group.
You feel yourself falling to the ground.
Your soul leaves your body in the cold sleep of death...
Your vitality drains away.

*** Welcome to Toril ***
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:50 pm

From what I can tell by looking at things, that proc has been in since December 2002. At least on our testmud anyway. I'm not aware of any other changes recently to the zone.
alendar
Sojourner

Postby alendar » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:00 pm

nice proc, wish i had been there....
Alendar -= The Black Ash of the Phoenix =-
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0612.html
http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/GiantIT ... ipt?SK=244
Hador group-says 'Inames I think you are the only person on the mud who shouldn't talk about Cofen sucking'
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:03 pm

That's freaking awesome. I've never seen that proc before in all the times I've done DK vault, either. Probably shouldn't have instakilled everyone like that, maybe a total % of each target's overall hps instead.

Next time start with bash? :P

Don't worry Pinky...when people give you crap, tell them "at least I lead".
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:59 pm

I've seen it quite a few times, but never for that much damage. Always did below 400hp.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:00 pm

Yeah, that was insane. There's no reason anything outside of Tiamat should insta-kill the entire group. And in a vault zone. It wasn't even a friggin' death proc where the mob dies along with the rest of the group--we had to get reorganized and kill the bastard again.

Marthammor--while I'm sure the proc's been there for years, it seems rather obvious that the damage of it has been tweaked (probably inadvertently). As mentioned, it killed everyone, including the tank who had well over 1000 hp. I would've groaned if it had done enough to kill me but left a few others standing (I [Iqhas] had 617hp), but would've gone with the flow and cursed my bad luck. But this is just silly!

That being said, can the proc be toned down? Thanks muchly. :)

Oh, and as an addendum:

The only Immortal on at the time this proc occurred was Shevarash. Being, oh, the leader of the MUD, I, for one, didn't appreciate his comment that we should have a member of the Areas team look into it. Ya know what? How about saying something more along the lines of "Wow... I'll have a member of the Areas team look into it, I'm not sure that's supposed to be in there like that"? Maybe throw in an offer of a god-ress if and when it's discovered the proc was overpowered or shouldn't have been in there at all? (I, for one, failed my ress, thanks) I understand the problem probably couldn't be handled immediately, but being brushed off and giving off the air that Shev just didn't care was a little off-putting. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that showing a little sympathy can mean the difference between players hating you and players appreciating your time and effort. A little sympathy can go a long friggin' way. Some people seem a little too far removed from the viewpoint of an actual player. This is all being said with all due respect.

Edit: I've been informed that I'm wrong--that Shevarash was not the Imm who responded regarding this issue. Leaving my original post because I don't believe in deleting my comments if it means I may have egg on my face. Cheers!
Last edited by Birile on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:21 pm

Anybody in that group happen to be holding a Tiamat staff at the time? A charged one perhaps?
Eilistraee
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:29 pm

Not I...

I figured it's because I just got done pwning him with banshee wail, vampiric curse and contagion in quick succession. *nod me*
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:47 pm

By the way, this is not an insta kill proc.

Now the generation of massive amounts of damage will instantly kill people, I acknowledge that and such is what happened in this circumstance. But the factors of how that damage gets generated is not built into the proc itself, and it could not have inadvertantly been modified.

I'll look at it some more, but I'm quite positive that the proc's damage has not been amplified by staff. But messages, while often vague, can also give insight into what happened, so future measures can be taken.
Eilistraee
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 pm

Maybe the mob just had rested energy *halo*
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:32 pm

Go go spellcasters, and unwield weapons next time. yeesh!
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:34 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Go go spellcasters, and unwield weapons next time. yeesh!

I was wielding a book of tricks... guess it cold-cocked me good. :cry:
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:28 pm

I appreciate everyone looking at it. At the time and after.

I would like to suggest that it be toned down to a 200-400 MAX hp proc Yet make the chance of it occurring increase in %. And at the same time take away something from the dragon to make him killable again. And possibly buff up the pre-vault mobs, which can be solo'd by certain classes....

Food for thought.
1) The # of evils, last 3 DK vault tries have been 6, 8, 11.
2) The dragon kills enough people (atleast 15 corpses last unsuccessful run). Especially being it doesn't proc darkness etc anymore.... (arguably one of the hardest dragons in the game) Illus/Cleric with 2 cleric golems. + etc.
3) Anything that has a 'chance' to kill atleast 6 people including a 1k+ tank, ungrouped pets etc in one round should be chopped.

Build up of 'energy' or not.

But, If dragon downgraded, priest downed but % upped, and prevault upped. You would have a better over all 'vault'.

Tx,

Pink
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:55 am

Tell you guys what, I won't downgrade anything.

But I'll make sure that a spellbook held won't contribute like 11d500 damage to the proc, how's that?
Eilistraee
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:26 am

Birile wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Go go spellcasters, and unwield weapons next time. yeesh!

I was wielding a book of tricks... guess it cold-cocked me good. :cry:

Too funny that I was right... :shock:

Eilistraee wrote:Tell you guys what, I won't downgrade anything.

But I'll make sure that a spellbook held won't contribute like 11d500 damage to the proc, how's that?

*blush*
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:56 am

G thanks RP godess

from your attitude i guess we can expect it fixed in what, 2.5?

sure glad us giving you ideas ways of fixing/balancing shit is usless.

noted.

how bout instead of thanks, piss off.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:49 am

Zoldren wrote:

G thanks RP godess

from your attitude i guess we can expect it fixed in what, 2.5?

sure glad us giving you ideas ways of fixing/balancing shit is usless.

noted.

how bout instead of thanks, piss off.

Well gee, I had fixed it tonight, pending copyover.

Without the spellbook bug, the proc would have done oh, about 50 damage if you saved, double that if you hadn't. This is based on my investigations of the situation, which has been admittedly sketchy since I've had to recreate the scene from pretty much scratch.

All in all, I've spent a good several hours trying to track down what exactly happened. Thank you however, for validating the reason I have been less motivated to put in effort here.

Cheers.
Eilistraee
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:00 am

Attitude breeds attitude. or another way, you reap what you sow.

thanks for the fix, that IS appreciated.

as for the attitude, and the general gaffing of ideas.. well...

you should know players get displeased too, especially when they feel their inputs get ignored (kinda how gods feel about their efforts huh)

it all comes down to perception.

tx again for the time on the fix.

Cheers
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:18 am

In Eilistraee's defense, there's no attitude in this post. Add a little smiley after her last sentence and maybe you'll see she was trying to show you that she was very glad she had tracked down the root of the problem and was trying to appease us in a heartfelt manner. Granted, it's difficult to discern connotation in a written message, but... well, her tone (to me) seems rather obvious. :)

No one's input was ignored, there's just no need to worry about downgrading the damage on the proc when the problem was that I was holding a 500 page spellbook that caused thousands of points of damage--and the problem has now been fixed (by Eilistraee).
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:40 pm

Okay.. no clue who you are Zoldren, and atm... don't care.

Eilistraee looked into the problem and fixed it, commenting wryly that it was something silly BROKEN with CODE (the irony of what was broken is hilarious to me actually), and all she gets is a pissy response?

Gee.. way to keep one of TWO I repeat _TWO_ coders Toril has left around. We all know Shev is busy working on 2.0, so Eili is the one fixing the current stuff. All those other little formulas you suggested are for the AREAS god(s) to determine. (Frankly in my opinion dumbing down yet another zone would be bad.)

Attitude breeds attitude, you're right, and its attacks like that one that make you a germ, not a cure. Get a sense of humor for cripes sake.

Have you guys not noticed that players aren't the ONLY ones disappearing? The Imms that have hung in this long are the ones that are truly committed to this GAME, and even they aren't as visible as usual. I'm not suggesting we turn into a pack of brown-nosing prats, but simple RESPECT and (real, not sarcastic) appreciation is something we can all do.

When was the last time anyone said thanks for no reason other than to say thanks? Anyone stop to think that a majority of the communication between players and imms anymore is most likely griping, whining and complaining? Gosh... it would certainly make me enthusiastic about fixing things to have a pack of 6 year olds screaming that their favorite toy is BROKEN and it needs to be fixed NOW because its not as shiny as they want it to be!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and they do it for FREE.

Yikes... they're definitely gluttons for punishment because I know if it were me, I'd rather listen to my REAL kids whine, cus ya know.. I do that for free and get the same effect.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Marthammor
Staff Member - Areas
Location: On a Rocky Tor Overlooking a Storm-Ridden Landscape

Postby Marthammor » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:18 pm

Cookie to Lilira.

*HUGS* to Pink.

And for Birile - you get the knowledge that you wiped out half a group with a spellbook. Mage spells overpowered? Naw, wait till you see what they can do with a book!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:04 pm

Marthammor wrote:And for Birile - you get the knowledge that you wiped out half a group with a spellbook. Mage spells overpowered? Naw, wait till you see what they can do with a book!

Does this mean I do more damage than Teba?
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:25 pm

Lilira,

> Okay.. no clue who you are Zoldren, and atm... don't care.
Good, don't really care who you are either.

> Eilistraee looked into the problem and fixed it, commenting wryly that > it was something silly BROKEN with CODE (the irony of what was broken > is hilarious to me actually), and all she gets is a pissy response?

Actually scroll up read the whole thing. Before you start jumping in.
What's the first response I give? " I appreciate everyone looking at it. At the time and after. "

> Gee.. way to keep one of TWO I repeat _TWO_ coders Toril has left > around. We all know Shev is busy working on 2.0, so Eili is the one > fixing the current stuff. All those other little formulas you suggested > are for the AREAS god(s) to determine. (Frankly in my opinion dumbing > down yet another zone would be bad.)

I then proceded to suggested how to make the zone over all harder/more balanced. (not dumb down as you said) Instead of having just 1 hard fight dragon and 1 semi hard fight proc death (bug /fixed now tx again)

> Attitude breeds attitude, you're right, and its attacks like that one > that make you a germ, not a cure. Get a sense of humor for cripes sake.

Your right yours is a uninformed attack. And I have a great sense of humor, just no tolerance for empathy, ignorance or attitude. I would think you fall under the latter 2.

> Have you guys not noticed that players aren't the ONLY ones > disappearing? The Imms that have hung in this long are the ones that > are truly committed to this GAME, and even they aren't as visible as > usual. I'm not suggesting we turn into a pack of brown-nosing prats, > but simple RESPECT and (real, not sarcastic) appreciation is something > we can all do.

I agree.

> When was the last time anyone said thanks for no reason other than to > > say thanks? Anyone stop to think that a majority of the communication > > between players and imms anymore is most likely griping, whining and > > complaining? Gosh... it would certainly make me enthusiastic about > > fixing things to have a pack of 6 year olds screaming that their > > favorite toy is BROKEN and it needs to be fixed NOW because its not as > shiny as they want it to be!!!!!!!!!!! Oh and they do it for FREE.

I've done said thanks plenty. And actually BS with imm's when they have time. Actually majority of the communication, I believe, is players suggesting something, or pointing something out. And atleast 3/4 the time get ignored. The other 1/4 they complain/bitch. (Few exceptions of course)

> Yikes... they're definitely gluttons for punishment because I know if it were > me, I'd rather listen to my REAL kids whine, cus ya know.. I do that for free > and get the same effect.

Let me guess you don't listen to them either?

Cheerz

PS> *LIX* Marthammor.

PSS > It was a whole group not half. Birile >> Teba!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:46 am

I read it... I read it a second time... I read it a few more times for good measure...

Let's break it down...

Tell you guys what, I won't downgrade anything.

Eili started out by saying nothing was going to be downgraded... and it wasn't.

Then the actual problem was presented and it was stated within the same sentence that the problem was going to be fixed.

There's not a single bit of attitude there. I did my best to see how it might have been seen, but it just wouldn't come to me.

Sounds to me like somebody got twisted and assumed Eili was tossing shit when he was really shooting straight up. So there really was attitude... but Eilistraee wasn't the one dishing it. Of all the people to assume the worst about, it has not been my experience that Eilistraee would be it.

Tink happy tawts.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:21 am

Zoldren wrote:PSS > It was a whole group not half. Birile >> Teba!

*blush*
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:24 pm

This infighting is more absurd than the proc damage was.

Aside from that, good show. There were even three imms who jumped in to resolve this issue (the first, who said to talk to Areas, plus Marth and Eil), so I can't understand why people keep insinuating that imms aren't all over fixing things.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:45 pm

moritheil wrote:This infighting is more absurd than the proc damage was.

I dunno, Mori... 11d500 damage from a book is pretty absurd. :P

But in all seriousness, I'm rather certain things have been smoothed over now. It was more a misunderstanding than anything. :)
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:41 am

Birile wrote:I dunno, Mori... 11d500 damage from a book is pretty absurd. :P

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:20 pm

Ashiwi wrote:
Birile wrote:I dunno, Mori... 11d500 damage from a book is pretty absurd. :P

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Especially in the hands of a Halfling--er, Drow!

But really a Halfling!
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:47 pm

I realize I'm getting to this party a little late, but I figured I'd throw my two cents in.

1) That proc was written by me when DK came in (1999) and has not been adjusted since. Looks like I was responsible for the bug that caused the isntadeaths, which Eili graciously fixed.

2) As Birile stated above, I was not at keys when this happened and was not the one to respond to the petition. For what it's worth, I would never simply pass the buck on an issue like this, and never have to my recollection.

3) Zoldren, you owe Eilistraee an apology. Your attack was uncalled for and clearly the result of a misunderstanding, so do the right thing and say you're sorry for pete's sake.

Happy Mudding.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:37 pm

Lilira wrote:The Imms that have hung in this long are the ones that are truly committed to this GAME, and even they aren't as visible as usual.

There are plenty of people who have donated their time here that didn't leave because of anything but issues with the rest of the staff. I would dare say many were committed to the game, but for one reason or another they found other things to put their time into... perhaps so they weren't wasting it.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kegor
Sojourner

Postby Kegor » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:17 am

[Deleted at Jaznolg's request - Shev]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Jaznolg, your post is out of line. This thread is locked.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD

Return to “Logs”