Belgium

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Kifle
Sojourner

Belgium

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:50 pm

Anybody here from or around Belgium? After I take my GREs in the Summer, I'm almost guaranteed acceptance into Leuven; so I'm wanting to be prepared for the move as much as possible. It would also be nice to know somebody so I'm not completely out of place when I get there.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Naled
Sojourner

Postby Naled » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Living about 50-60 kms north of Leuven, on the other side of the border with the Netherlands. You going to study medicine?
Naled/Menliros

Fight my Brute!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:26 pm

Naled wrote:Living about 50-60 kms north of Leuven, on the other side of the border with the Netherlands. You going to study medicine?

Nope, going there for my M.A./Mphil in philosophy.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:04 pm

That's just your excuse to smoke weed without consequence for a long time. Let us know when you get back to the states to study for a real degree. :P
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:03 pm

Yasden wrote:That's just your excuse to smoke weed without consequence for a long time. Let us know when you get back to the states to study for a real degree. :P

Rofl! Nah, I quit smoking a long time ago. Kids will do that to you. I was actually looking at U. of New Mexico for my Ph.D.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:14 am

UNM is a good school. I grew up in NM, and had several friends in the Albuquerque area. The weather is all over the radar there, from 110 sometimes in the summer to 8 inches of snow in the winter. You're pretty close to the southern most point of the Rockies, so it's not quite the flat barren desert like most of the rest of the state.

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:56 pm

I believe there is some pretty decent skiing in that part of NM.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:31 pm

Yasden wrote:UNM is a good school. I grew up in NM, and had several friends in the Albuquerque area. The weather is all over the radar there, from 110 sometimes in the summer to 8 inches of snow in the winter. You're pretty close to the southern most point of the Rockies, so it's not quite the flat barren desert like most of the rest of the state.

Yeah, one of my professors was telling me how cold it gets there at times. But, they have one of the better Eastern Philosophy programs in the country, so I'll bare with it for a few years :) If I like Belgium enough, I may just stay over there for the remainder. The only problem is the strength of the dollar. I'd be getting loans through U.S. banks and then having to convert to Euros... And, I hear the cost of living in the Dutch areas of Belgium is pretty high, so I'm hoping that the dollar recovers a bit within the next year or so.

Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:01 pm

Corth wrote:I believe there is some pretty decent skiing in that part of NM.

Yep, the closer to Utah and Colorado you get, the better it gets.

Larem
Sojourner

Postby Larem » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:38 am

okay carl, time for me to speak up. WTF dude, you quit smoking because of kids right? You want to give them a better life. You don't want to be a burnt out loser who vegetates all day and lets his kids run wild. I'm cool with that, but dude, come on. What in the world does one do with a PHD in Philosophy? You gonna bring down 100k a year because you can ponder over the meanings of string cheese compaired to individually sliced cheese? Get a real job, make real money, and damnit, pick up your fuggin guitar again.

that being said, florida is nice :) enjoy.
"When you close your eyes, is it hell that you see?" Ghost, Ginger Snaps 2
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 1:15 pm

Well if hes smart enough maybe he can become a philosophy professor. It might not be a 'real job' but the pay if awfully good and you don't have to work too much.

But then again, for every philosophy professor there are probably 10 overeducated philosophy students waiting tables...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:17 pm

Lol, you guys have a lot of faith. A philosophy PhD is actually a very nice degree to have and Leuven is a great school to get a masters. And with an ending GPA of only around 3.1 (3.7 interdepartment), I don't see myself getting into Stanford or NYU. Plus, Belgium would be a great experience for my kids.

Larem: I still do play the guitar every once in a while -- just not in a band anymore and probably wont be again. Also, I think I'd be very happy teaching philosophy at the college level. I can't think of one person who doesn't like to talk about the stuff, so seminar classes will be great. I plan on enjoying my life, so the whole get a job that pays money isn't really an option. I have a second interview for a planner position, but I don't see myself choosing it over Belgium and will only have it for saving purposes.

Also, you people that know more than me about economics. Do you think the dollar will recover at all by next fall? I know it's hard to guage with the changing of the presidency, but I'm really worried about switching over savings and student loans to Euro.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:27 pm

I think the dollar will recover.. but nobody knows for sure. If your concerned, invest your savings in commodities such as oil or precious metals. Commodities, being tangible goods, historically will hold their value against a declining currency. In effect, you would be swapping currency risk for investment risk.

Goddamned slippery mage.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:24 pm

I love false assumptions, so I thought I would check...

However amusing the stereotype of the unemployed philosopher is, it could hardly reflect employment statistics less well. As the American Philosophical Association reports, only 2.3% of philosophy majors were unemployed, based on National Research Council data for 1995. That's less than half the national unemployment rate at the time. So philosophers are employed at a rate that easily bests average. While not all employed philosophers work in educational institutions, 79.7% were. As for the rest: 6.9% worked for a private company, 4.4% were self-employed, 4.6% worked for a non-profit, and 4.1% worked for government.

and this too...

The University of Virginia's Office of Career Planning and Placement reports in "A Comparative Study by Major of Law School Admission Test Performance," that the average LSAT (Law School Admissions Test) score for a philosophy major at that school was approximately 15 points higher than the average for any other major. In addition, the American Medical Association conducted a study in which they found philosophy majors had the third highest acceptance rate into American medical schools. York University investigated philosophy major's performance on the GRE (Graduate Record Examination) and also found philosophy majors performed an average of 5% better than the average. In the verbal portion of the exam, philosophy majors scored higher than all other fields, including English. The quantitative portion of the GRE is historically where humanities majors do poorly, however philosophy majors still performed higher than social science majors with the exception of economics.

Good luck Kifle
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:06 pm

I was a philosophy major, and though I hated the subject, it certainly was extremely good preparation for law school.

Goddamned slippery mage.
Larem
Sojourner

Postby Larem » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:10 pm

corth, dude, you have just made me sick man. You have stated that prelaw school you were a philosophy major.......i'm sure other lawyers were other things too............none of which was an ethics major.............

i hate democracy and all those who support it. Including lobbyists, polotitions, lawyers, and irs agents.

people get raped by democratic governments everyday, but no one seems to care until it happens to them. I care, even if it doesn't happen to me. That's something this world needs more of i think. Philosophy aside, I believe there are good and evil choices people make, evil is winning, good needs a full heal, or a restore. Will belgium do that? no, they will make bagels and ricola comercials
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:40 pm

Yeah, polotitions suck!

Must try a belgium bagel!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:10 pm

I don't have to worry about polotitions. I don't even think they play polo there -- let alone enough to have polotitions regulating the polotical beurocracy.

Also, it's all about the waffles, man. Why else would I move there? It's not like they have one of the most prestigeous research libraries for philosophy in the world or garanteed-job PhD program with a storage basement full of Edmund Husserl's unpublished works waiting to be translated.

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:30 pm

Translating Husserl.. that sounds like loads of fun! Waffles.. shrug. :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
sotana
Sojourner

Postby sotana » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:41 pm

It's all about the pommes frites!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:52 am

Corth wrote:Translating Husserl.. that sounds like loads of fun! Waffles.. shrug. :)

Eh, it may be mind numbing, but the PhD would be easy to obtain since not a lot has been done with his material and phenomenology is pretty fun. Also, the job security you'd get out of it is worth the price of admission. And seriously, how could you not be excited about waffles with strawberries and whipped cream every morning?

Larem
Sojourner

Postby Larem » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:19 am

dude, go to IHOP already

let me bowl this past you, yer wife's 10 year class reunion is next summer, you gonna leave the country just to return in less than a year?

what does she think about it? Besides the fact that while you're elbows deep in philosophical crap, she can meet some interesting foreign men with wierd names and even weirder clothes? hrm....can i go with you?

Return to “General Discussion Archive”