MMOs

Archived discussion from Toril-2.
Kifle
Sojourner

MMOs

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:51 pm

Which ones are being played these days? I've been on LOTR for the past few months and it's gotten stale with the lack of endgame. I miss hanging out with the people here, but I have just lost interest in the game for the most part. So I was thinking today and thought it would be weird/fun to have an all toril guild on a different game. I imagined we could create a guild that would be pretty damn domnant without having to worry about those people who have an inability to push buttons -- which is why I have left most raiding guilds.

Anyway, if this sounds like fun to anybody, it would be cool to meet-up in some game and have a go at it.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:27 pm

AOC is coming out on May 17th if you have pre-order, May 20th if not. I'm probably going to be convincing the wow guild you saw on tichondrius to go to the same server as my friend from Blood Legion.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:35 pm

Dalar wrote:AOC is coming out on May 17th if you have pre-order, May 20th if not. I'm probably going to be convincing the wow guild you saw on tichondrius to go to the same server as my friend from Blood Legion.

The same guys we were in on EQ2? The rabble, I think?

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:46 pm

Ok, i've seen like 20 references to AoC in the last few days... what the hell is it?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Age of Conan.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:15 pm

Kifle wrote:
Dalar wrote:AOC is coming out on May 17th if you have pre-order, May 20th if not. I'm probably going to be convincing the wow guild you saw on tichondrius to go to the same server as my friend from Blood Legion.

The same guys we were in on EQ2? The rabble, I think?

That would be the same one.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:12 pm

Still playing WoW.

I'd join you on AoC, but I'm just not in a place in my life where I can devote the kind of time needed to dominate a MMO. I'm solo queueing battlegrounds and running one weekly Kara group these days, and that's about it. Don't really have 20-30 hours a week to dedicate to learning raid encounters and pushing the edge of progression anymore =/
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:54 pm

AoC is about FFA casual PvP, not raiding. None of us want to raid in AoC if it's available.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:03 pm

Dalar wrote:AoC is about FFA casual PvP, not raiding. None of us want to raid in AoC if it's available.

Maybe I'll look into it...
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:26 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Dalar wrote:AoC is about FFA casual PvP, not raiding. None of us want to raid in AoC if it's available.

Maybe I'll look into it...

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:23 pm

Yeah, raiding is only good insofar as it gives you the tools to pvp (imo anyway). I'd rather be able to skip the raiding part and dominate the pvp arena if at all possible. Speaking of pvp, is warhammer's pvp still crappy? Last I looked at it, you had to stand in one spot to use your skills (which is what bugs me about LotR)

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:33 pm

Kifle wrote:Yeah, raiding is only good insofar as it gives you the tools to pvp (imo anyway). I'd rather be able to skip the raiding part and dominate the pvp arena if at all possible. Speaking of pvp, is warhammer's pvp still crappy? Last I looked at it, you had to stand in one spot to use your skills (which is what bugs me about LotR)

Ugh, that's terrible.

Blizzard fixed a lot of the stupid pvp issues in the last couple patches. Battlegrounds now match up pugs vs. pugs, and premades vs. other premades. No more trade channel pugstompers dominating you every time you solo queue on a BG weekend. There's now a starter-PvP equipment set available from faction vendors... each piece requires Honored with one of the major factions, and gives some good starter PvP stats (stam, resilience, crit, Str/Agi/Int). And diminishing returns on honor has been removed, so you get full honor every time you kill someone. Finally, honor is now granted in real time, so you can spend your honor points as soon as you come out of a battleground.

Lot of good fixes... I spend most of my time solo queueing and ganking out in the world these days.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:26 pm

You still play on tichondrius? The real-time honor system is a great fix. I always hated having to wait a week for my rank upgrade or having to wait to spend my honor points. That's one thing I really liked about LotR pvp -- but it's not enough to be a saving grace. The itemization sucks (t5 crafted is better than raid/pvp gear), the pvp is basically like old school TM pvp in that you stand in opposing groups and wait till somebody runs too far away from the crowd. There is basically no 1v1 pvp at all. So, I'm really excited at the prospect of going to a game that's more pvp oriented (which I hope conan is) with a nice combat engine that allows for a little creativity and allows the ability to overcome inherent class weaknesses.

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:48 pm

Yeah, I'm still on Tichondrius.

Arena season 3 gear and T6 raid gear are roughly equivalent, but obviously arena gear gives you more PvP stats (stam, resilience) and the raid stuff gives you more DPS/mitigation.

Honor gear, heroic badge loot, and T4-5 gear is the next tier. It's easier to get, but the stats are lower. The insanely expensive BOP crafted items are probably around here as well.

Then you have non-raid, non-pvp heroic item drops, which basically suck and aren't suited for PvP at all.

So I do arenas, honor farming, and the occasional heroic.
- Ragorn
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:30 pm

warhammer online is looking like the one to beat this year more and more

dark age of camelot style RvR, more robust IP (in terms of content to pull from) than age of conan. substantially more comedy in the greenskin camp

ffa pvp games are generally short lived if they have no pve element. you can pretty much try any f2p korean game to get an idea of how that all works. age of conan will have to have some group oriented content to keep it going in the long-term

or they could just be like ccp and not give a shit really.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:55 pm

Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:19 am

I am still playing eve-online, the pvp is just wonderful there and still going strong after um 4 years of playing it hehe.

But I would deffo try AoC when it comes out.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:41 pm

Colje wrote:I am still playing eve-online, the pvp is just wonderful there and still going strong after um 4 years of playing it hehe.

But I would deffo try AoC when it comes out.

eve is still a good game, although it's player run economy is starting to suffer from MUDflation. running l4 missions is substantially more profitable than mining and since you can get all but trit in good quantity reprocessing rat-droppings it's no wonder why tritanium has shot up in value recently
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:38 pm

I get my $$ purly from either ratting or just moving buttloads of stuff to my alliances 10 outposts.

I do the trading like once per 2 week and get 2-4 bil profit each month. (War profit anyone? *Grin*) Not to much work, loads of time for pvp hehe.
I've noticed the trit has skyrised latly, but thats cause of the big alliances (russians and bob) are building super capital ships aka titans, and their clearing the market for every bit of mineral...

Anyways, what corp you in?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:02 pm

Teyaha wrote:warhammer online is looking like the one to beat this year more and more

dark age of camelot style RvR, more robust IP (in terms of content to pull from) than age of conan. substantially more comedy in the greenskin camp

ffa pvp games are generally short lived if they have no pve element. you can pretty much try any f2p korean game to get an idea of how that all works. age of conan will have to have some group oriented content to keep it going in the long-term

or they could just be like ccp and not give a shit really.

Warhammer is still years out.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:25 pm

actually warhammer is pretty solid for this fall. i'm in the closed beta. it really only needs a few tweaks here and there and some polish

colje - not in any player corp atm. i stupidly sold my 35m skillpoint amarr fighter last year (someone offered me $1200, so maybe not so stupid) and i only have my two exhumers V miners and a hauler left

i made a brand new caldari fighter last week for ratting. bloody hell if they dont start new chars with a crapton of skills, a free kestrel and two free launchers. insane. it does however make the beginning of the game far too easy for new players

right now i'm in solitude (high sec space surrounded by low sec - only way in or out is through low sec) making stupid money on the nearly 4.0 p/u isk of trit
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:43 pm

stargate: worlds also has promise if they stick to their guns, and stick to the IP

some of the concept art and screenshots are very well done.

female Jaffa

Tollon (a world destroyed by Anubins in season 5 i think it was, so i'm sketchy on the time-frame this game is putting itself into. the tollon as a race are extinct according to SG:1 canon)

Goa'Uld outpost (Goa'Uld still being a force tells me this is well before the end of season 8)

supposed to be released this fall, but i have the feeling it may fall the way of pirates of the burning sea. there has been little to no closed beta access and very little video of actual gameplay released - but i'll still buy it, cause it's stargate[/img]
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:16 am

What are your thoughts on AoC Teyaha? Thinking about preordering collector's edition atm. Lots of hype atm among the wow community.

Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:06 am

Can I play as Richard Dean Anderson? Otherwise I fail to see the relevance of this MMO.

Maybe they'll have a "egyptian serf" class. I could excel at drinking beer and building pyramids.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:18 am

i'm on the fence on AoC. on one hand, you have the fact that it was the top selling pc game for the month of march - as a pre order. on the other hand they've had to neuter the majority of the non-pc content from the original IP (extreme racism and sexism..story is from the early 30's).

i also have seen absolutely nothing on the pve game of AoC. although pvp games are great, they need a pve aspect. they feed each other. at least for US and Euro players. the koreans like craptastic games - hellgate:london is an instant 1 million subscriber hit over there, but the US players treat it like SARS. massively.com has the most in depth articles on the game.

as for stargate: worlds - you can play as humans, asgard, jaffa and goa'uld. being able to play as asgard means this is preason season 10 as they are extinct at that point. one of their early selling points was keeping the world up to date with the tv series. if they are having goa'uld and asgard as playable races i guess that's no longer the case

not being able to play as o'neill is pretty much the same as not being able to play as thrall. you can be a shaman, and you can be an air force spec ops, but you'll never be that 1337
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Apr 12, 2008 4:40 am

Yea I'm waiting on some more information on AoC myself as well. Just remember that WoW had almost no end-game when it released and Molten Core didn't even become doable for months after release. I am hoping into get into April 18-20 pvp beta and get some info for us all.

Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:15 am

well to wow's credit it had strat, scholo, lbrs, ubrs and to a lesser extent brd as group oriented max level content ready on day 1

that's substantially more end game content than mmropg's released since then have put out on day 1. most have one, or none, or they are instanced soloable quests that people do as a group.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:47 pm

Well now you've H-scrolled the thread, and I refuse to read it anymore. And for Stargate? Lulz.
- Ragorn
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:51 pm

cry more nub
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Ragorn wrote:Well now you've H-scrolled the thread, and I refuse to read it anymore. And for Stargate? Lulz.

It's at times like this I love Opera. Ctrl+F11 to autofit the browser width... :)
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Colje
Sojourner

Postby Colje » Sat Apr 12, 2008 11:24 pm

Teyaha wrote:actually warhammer is pretty solid for this fall. i'm in the closed beta. it really only needs a few tweaks here and there and some polish

colje - not in any player corp atm. i stupidly sold my 35m skillpoint amarr fighter last year (someone offered me $1200, so maybe not so stupid) and i only have my two exhumers V miners and a hauler left

i made a brand new caldari fighter last week for ratting. bloody hell if they dont start new chars with a crapton of skills, a free kestrel and two free launchers. insane. it does however make the beginning of the game far too easy for new players

right now i'm in solitude (high sec space surrounded by low sec - only way in or out is through low sec) making stupid money on the nearly 4.0 p/u isk of trit

Ahh I see, if you want a change of scenario...I am part of Roadkill alliance, just look me up as Colje.

We have more then enough with Germiante and drone region...damn those russians :P

Return to “General Discussion Archive”