Corth Got Banninated

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
ssar
Sojourner

Re: Corth Got Banninated

Postby ssar » Tue May 27, 2008 10:30 am

You OOC: 'OMFG NOOOOOOOO!'
You OOC: '"Sorry, but corth is not a valid option."'
You OOC: 'I am INCOMPLETE, INCOMPLETE, I tell you, without corth online in this MUD'
You OOC: 'I demand something be done about it'
Redanian OOC: 'well.. then yer fucked'
Redanian OOC: 'he got bizanninated bigtime.. :('
You OOC: 'I have a big list of lowly alts saved still, without realigning them, waiting to log them on and spend time in the room of choice with corth'
You OOC: 'but now I hear he won't be there any longer?! no more of his legendary wit and ultra-helpful and productive input into this game?!'

I am now officially in mourning, for being unable to hang with Corth in the room of choice and fondle his unicorn.
Devastated.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 27, 2008 12:27 pm

Gormal wrote:Offsite url's have apparently been disabled, I'm sorry but you'll have to copy/paste if you want to view a successful website that I post on from now on.

Not supposed to have quotes around the url when using the bbcode url tag...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Gormal wrote:This is my statement of intent. I am done posting in the general discussion area of these forums. Shevarash has stated that 6 of us make up the bulk of the content here, so as he bans one, I'm leaving too. I'd rather take my political debates and enjoyable content to this place or wherever you personally enjoy. I don't trust the staff here to fairly moderate content, so I've chosen to move on. Shevarash: You've killed the MUD and now you're killing the forums.

Farewell.

I don't think I ever stated that 6 of you make up the bulk of the content here, but it's possible I did so mistakenly. A lot of people post on these forums - but around 6 of you seemed intent on pushing the boundaries of the rules once they were re-emphasized. Some of you had good reasons for doing so, some I think just wanted to be contrary. You are all part of the community though, regardless of your status in-game, and I do respect that, and your opinions.

Personally, I'm done expending so much energy trying to police the forums. I'll continue to moderate where needed, but I think the point has been made and the time has come to cease hostilities and get on with the business of running this MUD.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 1:43 pm

Gormal wrote:Offsite url's have apparently been disabled, I'm sorry but you'll have to copy/paste if you want to view a successful website that I post on from now on.

URL tags haven't been disabled - you just put quotes around the URL, which BBCode doesn't like. I do that all the time too, and I fixed it in your post.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue May 27, 2008 2:48 pm

Shevarash wrote:You are all part of the community though

Except Corth, apparently.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 3:03 pm

That's correct. He made his choice though. I offered him the opportunity, in private, to stop this whole train wreck and talk through it, and he declined. I'm not real thrilled about how things ended up either, and you can vilify me for it if you so choose, but it won't help matters any. I'm willing to discuss it more if that's what people need, but frankly I'd rather just move on.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Still not going to give us a separate, loosely-moderated forum though, huh?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 3:51 pm

Nope. General Discussion is supposed to serve that function, and it will be more loosely moderated in the future, which I though I'd indicated above but maybe wasn't clear enough about. We got by for years with that level of moderation so I'm sure we can get back to it just fine. Just keep adult stuff off of here and keep the flames to a minimum. If we have to moderate something, we'll tell you why so we can avoid future incidents.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 27, 2008 3:57 pm

Agreed.

Pleasure doing business with you.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue May 27, 2008 6:47 pm

Maybe a limited 'ban' in that the global channels and BBS are off limits to Corth? He was helpful in the game. Especially being that of a beacon. The idea of relo-beacon has been brought up repeatedly in BBS and in game. Also, Corth could play and be with his friends. I don't think it serves any good to fully delete/ban someone who has such experience. Just agree to disagree the both of you? I respect each of you in a different way. I'm assuming most other players do as well. There's no loss of face or dignity in this compromise.

I got limited bans on Chess sites all the time. I can talk and send tells, I just can't global. It's because I'm so good at chess, I make fun of everybody. So sue me! It's hard to be 2442 ranked and be humble :(
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 7:06 pm

Again, I did try to discuss this with Corth so we could find a better solution, but he decided not to. If he would like to speak with me about it I'm sure he has my email address.
Unicorn 3.0
Sojourner

Postby Unicorn 3.0 » Tue May 27, 2008 7:43 pm

For the record, Shev did indicate that he wanted to discuss privately how we could resolve this short of banning me permanently. I don't think he cared for my initial reaction and/or language, as he disconnected and IP banned me before I could articulate my thoughts on the matter. I would disagree with Shev's assertion that "I decided not to" explore an alternative solution. I certainly do not *want* to be banned. However, Shev is the boss, and if he's going to ban me then I certainly don't want to troll around here engaging in political debates under fake names, etc. I wouldn't mind if he unbanned Corth for the purpose of this thread, so I don't have to use this ridiculous Unicorn 3.0 name, as he made a point before that he's making no attempt to edit or delete anything I write in this thread, though keeping me from writing in it accomplishes the same purpose more or less, huh?
Last edited by Unicorn 3.0 on Tue May 27, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue May 27, 2008 7:46 pm

Fair enough, I may have misunderstood you in the heat of the moment. Feel free to email me at shevarash@gmail.com if you'd like to discuss the matter.
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue May 27, 2008 8:43 pm

Thilindel wrote:Corth? He was helpful in the game.
Hahahahahahaha.

Thilindel wrote:Especially being that of a beacon. The idea of relo-beacon has been brought up repeatedly in BBS and in game.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

Thilindel wrote:Also, Corth could play and be with his friends.
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

You crack me up.

Oh, and everyone knows Sok own/pwns these forums.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue May 27, 2008 11:26 pm

Thilindel wrote:It's hard to be 2442 ranked and be humble :(
Yahoo chess != chess. Get a 2000+ rating irl and we'll talk :)
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 28, 2008 2:54 am

Kifle wrote:

You don't remember the last time I kicked yer butt in 2002? :P
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed May 28, 2008 8:11 am

I hope yer just f'in around gorm, I actually enjoy reading your posts when you aren't a stupid assclown. Corth, I don't know you, but if I was given an opportunity to take back or justify something I did that I knew was wrong (me personally, what I thought you said was offensive, and i'm not offended easily) I'd take it. But that's just what i'd do. Good luck to ya bro.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Thilindel wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Lol i remember when Kifle was saying how he use to study chess theory when he was young and then i kicked his ass in one game, but lost the next. I retired from chess btw, 1 game every few years is too much for me.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 28, 2008 3:47 pm

Dalar wrote:
Thilindel wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Lol i remember when Kifle was saying how he use to study chess theory when he was young and then i kicked his ass in one game, but lost the next. I retired from chess btw, 1 game every few years is too much for me.

I have a bad habit of moving too quickly and being too arrogant to give my opponents much credit. I don't think I've played the game in about three years or so.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 28, 2008 4:02 pm

I'm decent, but I'm too impatient. I just don't have the attention span for real matches. I'm respectable at blitz, and I like 10 minute game timers.
- Ragorn
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 28, 2008 4:34 pm

Anything over 4 minutes drives me nuts :( I like 2/0 lightning, love 3/0 crazyhouse, and adore 4/0 crazyhouse. I don't care for wild or bughouse much though.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Wed May 28, 2008 6:24 pm

greatest derail ever?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed May 28, 2008 8:02 pm

I don't know bout y'all, but Corth's pretty much talked out. It's 'tween Shev and Corth-o-matic now. Either way, I'll kick your butt in chess.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 28, 2008 9:55 pm

Word, Corth's time here is in his hands now (which I hope he doesn't fuck up and keep the perm ban -- this place will get boring). Anyway, I'll take your challenge, Thil :)

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed May 28, 2008 11:54 pm

Ragorn wrote:I don't know why it's so difficult to simply come out and talk about things the way they are.

1. Corth deserved to get banned. Shevarash is right, Corth's "last straw" wasn't a bannable offense in and of itself. But for real, read the forums once in a while. I'd have banned him by this point too. Nobody is surprised that he's gone, and if you say you are, you're lying.

2. Shevarash, you've been overmoderating the forums. You don't need to remove cat pictures, and you don't need to assume that every retired player posts for the sole purpose of pissing you off. You've made your point -- you have a button on your console that removes posts, and you will use it solely at your discretion. It's time to back down and let things return to normal.

3. Gormal, shut the fuck up already. I went emo on the Sojourn 2 forum when Mystra banned you, because you didn't deserve it then. But seriously, now you're being a douche. It's time for you to stop deliberately pissing Shevarash off so you can cry martyr when he deletes your shit. No, your 3000th post wasn't particularly egregious. But seriously, let it go.

4. This forum HAS been worthless for the last month. The forum community has taken sides, and both sides are equally to blame. Shevarash, give us an "old timers tavern" forum with a bright yellow banner which says that the forum is only loosely moderated and leave it at that. And then the rest of you, let's take our political flamewars and threads full of cat pictures in there, and leave General Discussion to conversations about Indiana Jones and stupid internet memes. I don't see why this has to be difficult.

5. The BBS has a tremendous potential simply based on the players who choose to gather here. The players are part of Toril's value. This game has a legacy in its community, and it's excellent that there ARE still people here who remember caravan trade, and ~ soloing Chlora, and massive IC Vault spanks, and Monks whomping Tiamat. This game has legends, and the legends are passed on by the community. Shevarash, if you think that "old, retired, bitter players" have nothing to offer the game anymore, then you're passing up an opportunity. Most of us (with obvious exceptions) don't ask for much, and it's very little skin off your back to make us happy. Case in point: Why is Todrael leaving? What could be done to keep a longtime player from disappearing, and taking his legacy with him?

6. Finally, I'll reiterate the issue that has always been my biggest problem with this place... and indeed, the reason I left and never came back. There's no communication between the staff and the players. Shevarash, we want to hear what's going on with 2.0. We want to read the deity and domain lists. We are all excited by your 2.0 project, even me. But it's easy to lose that excitement when you don't give us any updates for almost a year. Yes, we all know that 2.0 will be in SOON. We know what SOON means. However, you've had a lot of excitement in the air around here in the last couple years, and all it takes on your part to keep the engine turning is one post every two months about some new aspect of the game. We all genuinely want to know the status of the project. People are going to gripe when Christmas 2008 comes and Toril 2.0 still isn't in... but if you release five lists of class skills between now and then, at least we have a better reason to keep waiting until Christmas 2009.

All right, that's all I've got. I come here because I have friends here, and it's been a nice place to hang out from time to time. But between the players and the forgers both, it's really sucked for the last couple weeks. If this is what the Toril BBS is going to be like, then I'm more or less done with it. It doesn't matter whose fault it is. It's lame, and I'm over it.

/agree 1000%!!!!!!!!!!

Shevarash wrote:General Discussion is supposed to serve that function, and it will be more loosely moderated in the future, which I though I'd indicated above but maybe wasn't clear enough about. We got by for years with that level of moderation so I'm sure we can get back to it just fine. Just keep adult stuff off of here and keep the flames to a minimum. If we have to moderate something, we'll tell you why so we can avoid future incidents.

WOOT!!! WOOT!!! WOOT!!! I sincerely Thank You! =^)
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Thu May 29, 2008 6:48 am

i'm money at the online spades but I always get partners who either a suck ass or b roll out which pisses me off to all hell..
Unicorn 3.0
Sojourner

Postby Unicorn 3.0 » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:09 am

Left an email for Shev a week ago today offering to apologize, etc. No response. Anyway, I'm sorry I called you an asshole shev. Good luck trying to restore the mud to its former glory.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:41 pm

Been sick, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for the apology.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Maybe we should allow Corth to come back, but make sure he sticks with the Unicorn 3.0 name. I find it amusing... ;)

Cap'n Touk
Sojourner

Postby Cap'n Touk » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 am

Bring back Corth, Artifacts, and God Favoritism!!
Elet
Sojourner

Postby Elet » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:47 am

Cap'n Touk wrote:Bring back Corth, Artifacts, and God Favoritism!!

and unicorn 3.0?
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:47 am

Elet wrote:
Cap'n Touk wrote:Bring back Corth, Artifacts, and God Favoritism!!

and unicorn 3.0?

You can't bring back Unicorn 3.0. It's not gone! Sheesh Elet!
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:16 pm

8)

I say keep him banned and just program a mob to sit in Waterdeep and be afk, but allow the mob to be the target of moonwells and relocate spells. The mob can have part of its programming the ability to post complaints on the forums. It'll be like Corth never left.
Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:00 pm

Yayaril wrote:8)

I say keep him banned and just program a mob to sit in Waterdeep and be afk, but allow the mob to be the target of moonwells and relocate spells. The mob can have part of its programming the ability to post complaints on the forums. It'll be like Corth never left.

/agree

Maybe you should make a new 3west comic about it? :^)
Cordan
Sojourner

Postby Cordan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:29 pm

3west. *drool*
Unicorn 3.0
Sojourner

Postby Unicorn 3.0 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:45 pm

Shevarash wrote:Been sick, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can. Thanks for the apology.

Its quite alright. I'm withdrawing my request for reinstatement.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:19 am

stop being stubborn, corth. This place is pretty boring now. the only posts for like a week have been horrible jokes and flib's joke thread.

p.s. finally got this hotel's wifi to work on my phone. vacation sucks when you can't sleep and the hotel bar os closed.

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:26 pm

Corth's ban has been lifted. I will not discuss the details of his reinstatement, but he may do so if he chooses. I hope we can all learn from this event and prevent it from happening in the future, myself included.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:13 pm

Since Corth came back and Shev promised to stop being such a hardon with censoring content I opted to post again. After that ridiculous thread deletion for something completely benign, I'm going to say that you were lying and I'm once again done with this shitty part of the forum. I'm convinced that Shev is actively trying to kill this place.

Shevarash wrote:Nope. General Discussion is supposed to serve that function, and it will be more loosely moderated in the future, which I though I'd indicated above but maybe wasn't clear enough about. We got by for years with that level of moderation so I'm sure we can get back to it just fine. Just keep adult stuff off of here and keep the flames to a minimum. If we have to moderate something, we'll tell you why so we can avoid future incidents.

This. This is why you're a liar and I'm fed up with you.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:03 pm

For those following along at home, Gormal posted a thread with a voltron quote and nothing else in it, and it got deleted.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:12 pm

Honestly, Gormal. We all know voltron has been linked to al-qaeda, fart porn, and the destruction of Japanese society. You should have known better.

You also can't deny that he's been using his time on the gen forums wisely. He changed the upload options so I could host my virus...er, I mean my ethics paper here.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:19 pm

Ragorn wrote:For those following along at home, Gormal posted a thread with a voltron quote and nothing else in it, and it got deleted.

Sooo... what was the quote?

Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:24 pm

I didn't moderate anything, but thanks for the accusations and for calling me names!

I did exactly what I said - I haven't moderated a single thing since I posted that, and I lifted Corth's ban. Get your facts straight before you go making accusations.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:35 pm

You have absolute authority, which means that you also have absolute responsibility. Note the "we" in what you wrote (I quoted it so its easy to find). No PM, no email, no ptell... ninja deleted benign content. You made a promise for the entire staff and that promise was broken. Therefore you lied.

Thanks for not even attempting to address the issue!
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:40 pm

For general information purposes, I moved the thread in question for more than one reason, the least of which was that it contained references to whom Gormal chooses to put on his ignore list. The greatest reason why I moved the topic was because it would have encouraged only similar posts in response.

This is Shevarash's bbs, it is not mine. His rules are simple. No personal attacks, keep it civil. This guideline was not followed with that thread specifically. If Shevy chooses, he can put the whole thread back but I made an administrative decision, as he has asked me to do my best to keep this section of the forums within the rules, as I see them, and I do try.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:48 pm

Thanks for the selective moderation Shar. I appreciate you ignoring the other recent threads with much more direct insults to the people in question and deleting mine. Mild jabs is not flaming, the rules actually are quite simple its just that you choose to interpret them poorly. The thread fell in line with how the bbs had been before the recent crackdown, which is what Shev stated he wanted to return to. I'll even go out on a limb and say that the thread wasn't very funny, but once again Toril staff preemptively jumps to the defense of its fragile and delicate playerbase.

NambyPambyMUD 2.0 (coming soon)

This. This is the offensive thread.
Gormal wrote:Defenders of the BBS

Activate interlocks! Teflor-Teyahas ignored. cat-imgs up; mega-threads are go!
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:53 pm

You win, Gormal. I quit. Officially declining to continue moderating this BBS in any way. You can begin to celebrate now. Woo hoo!

If anyone needs help, please contact Shevarash directly as I no longer have the interest needed to continue working on something that brings me very little satisfaction.
Shar - Forger Administrator, TorilMUD

Brandobaris : (51) [ would a forgotten realms zombie be interested in brains? ]

Shevarash tells you 'Never gonna give you up, never gonna let you down..... groan'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:00 pm

I trust this image is on-topic, humorous, relevant, and not a direct flame against anyone.
- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:26 pm

Shar wrote:You win, Gormal. I quit. Officially declining to continue moderating this BBS in any way. You can begin to celebrate now. Woo hoo!

If anyone needs help, please contact Shevarash directly as I no longer have the interest needed to continue working on something that brings me very little satisfaction.

Too bad there's only the two choices...

Yes, Gormal's being an ass. There's moderation besides thread deletion (sorry, moving to where no one can see it) that would have given you the chance to avoid misunderstanding and explain why it was happening. Sure, Gormal still would have bitched, but everything would have been above board and he'd just look like a whiny troublemaker.

Why delete threads? There's very rarely anything that actually warrants it, starting and ending with NSFW content... even then the images themselves could be edited out without deleting the thread.

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:34 pm

Yes, I'm being an ass about it. But I'm tired of watching the staff shit all over players that don't tow the company line.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”