Baby Let's Cruise... Away, From Heeeere

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Baby Let's Cruise... Away, From Heeeere

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:09 am

Birthday plans, yadda yadda, get to to the good stuff ...

Five day jaunt to the Caribbean, with stops in Cozumel, Mexico and Progreso, Yucatan. It's with Carnival Cruise Lines, leaves New Orleans on November 1st (my birthday!), and the name of the ship is the Fantasy.

The total cost of the cruise after taxes and fees is $372.56, per person, plus a $50.00 gratuity added to your bill, and any soda, liquor, gambling or spa treatments extra. Otherwise, the ship is all inclusive, all restaurants and entertainment being included in the cost of the cruise.

If you're interested, the PVP who helped me book at Carnival is Lisa Destafano, 866-455-8196, extension 86256 (updated PVP), and the booking number is 9XM007. Booking this early means putting down a $200.00 deposit (per person, two people minimum per room), and paying the remainder by September.

I also found out you can buy tickets for four bar drinks online at $21.25 each, and that gets you four of any kind of drink they have available, including the 15 oz margarita in the souvenier hurricane tumbler! ::drool:: Mmmmmm, tequila in a souvenier tumbler...

A couple of us are staying at a Bed and Breakfast ten blocks outside of the French Quarter in New Orleans after the cruise. The link for that B&B is http://www.sweetolive.com

Yes, most of that was copied from the previous Cruise thread.

I'm not really sure who's going at the moment. I know Lilithelle and I are, Sotana's very interested, Teflor's a very good possibility, I'm really, really, REALLY hoping Lilira and Eddybear can go, but it's all up in the air right now.

Oh yeah, and the other good stuff...

Champagne, starlight, open ocean...
Last edited by Ashiwi on Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Alta
Sojourner

Re: Baby Let's Cruise... Away, From Heeeere

Postby Alta » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:53 am

My husband said this morning that he is the best husband evaaah!!!!one!!111one!!
He pretty much said we can go, but there will be details to be sorted out. I noticed there aren't many rooms in the b&b so I better reserve soon! I have a gift card for bedandbreakfast.com (if Kiryan doesn't pawn it) and so that's perfect. Now the checklist:

Reserve cruise
Airline flights
B&B
Babysitter for 5 (that'll be a hard sell)
Wean the little one
Swimsuit shopping (cringe)

Neo doesn't like tequilla so I'll have to do the shots with you and he'll have to go hammock and gemstone shopping with you. Either way I win. I guess I best not let him knock me up before then so I can drink.

Vena
Last edited by Alta on Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:56 am

I sooo wanted to do this, but finances aren't going to work out to where I can go :( *sigh*
I wanted to drink lots of tequila too. Maybe next time. :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:05 am

Well drat... I want to jump up and down because of Laurel and Neo, but I want to pout because of Becky...

Oh, I know!!!! We'll have to buy Becky a souvenier!

"My friends went snorkeling in Cozumel and all I got was this stinkin' tshirt." That'll make her feel better.

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:49 am

Lol ;) hrm, I actually wouldn't mind some gemstones to make a ring with :)
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:59 am

YOU SO DREAMY NEO
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:23 am

Alta wrote:My husband said this morning that he is the best husband evaaah!!!!one!!111one!!
He pretty much said we can go, but there will be details to be sorted out. I noticed there aren't many rooms in the b&b so I better reserve soon! I have a gift card for bedandbreakfast.com (if Kiryan doesn't pawn it) and so that's perfect. Now the checklist:

Reserve cruise
Airline flights
B&B
Babysitter for 5 (that'll be a hard sell)
Wean the little one
Swimsuit shopping (cringe)

Neo doesn't like tequilla so I'll have to do the shots with you and he'll have to go hammock and gemstone shopping with you. Either way I win. I guess I best not let him knock me up before then so I can drink.

Vena

Neo doesn't drink because he's too busy chosing choosing which pill to take! Damn druggies!
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:57 am

Dalar wrote:YOU SO DREAMY NEO

I'll sell him to you cheap.

Pril wrote:Neo doesn't drink because he's too busy chosing choosing which pill to take! Damn druggies!

What?

Oh and P.S. it's statements, not statments
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:05 am

Alta wrote:
Dalar wrote:YOU SO DREAMY NEO

I'll sell him to you cheap.

Pril wrote:Neo doesn't drink because he's too busy chosing choosing which pill to take! Damn druggies!

What?

Oh and P.S. it's statements, not statments

Blah blah blah and what i meant to write was:

Neo doesn't drink because he's too busy choosing which pill to take! Damn druggies!

It was in reference to you saying that Neo doesn't drink tequilla. The pill reference was matrix one. And the damn druggies was my sentiment toward his drug use. :p
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:20 am

Ahhhh! You are clever Pril. I just wish I was.

Vena
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue May 20, 2008 3:36 pm

His voice mail sounds like he says Noberto instead of Roberto. Anyway, I'm booking it! So like it or not the Vena and Kiryan are going to be going!
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed May 21, 2008 3:43 am

Whoooot!

I like it, I love it, I want some more of it.

Mmmmmmm ... me, you, and duty-free. It will be glorious.

Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Wed May 21, 2008 8:01 pm

So, I need details.....
Specifically, what time did you pick for dinner? Will all of my questions be answered with that booking number? Do we want rooms near eachother or on completely different parts of the ship. What sort of excursions are people planning?
I haven't heard from Roberto and am tempted to book it online myself.

Vena
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu May 22, 2008 2:17 am

I hear the muff diving off the shores of Mexico is spectacular. You'll want to plan on that when you dock there.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu May 22, 2008 3:35 am

I'm pretty sure we chose early dinner so we wouldn't have to worry about hurrying from dinner to any of the shows. It'll also make it easier to claim a spot in the hot tub when everybody else is at late dinner.

I chose a guaranteed inside room, so I don't have a room number assigned yet. It's the cheapest way to book a room, and you kind of get the luck of the draw on where it is, but the way I figger, I'm going to spend the least amount of my time in my room on this cruise, so all I need is a place to bunk down.

I don't think you have to go through Roberto. Just make sure you give them the same booking number and let them know you want to have a dinner table all together, since they do assigned seating and you could get stuck with anybody. If I have to, I'll hit the maitre d' up as soon as we get on board to rearrange the seating if they don't get it right.

We haven't booked any excursions yet. Right now I'm leaning toward scuba diving in Cozumel. In Progreso, I hear the beach isn't fantastic, nor is the town of Progreso, but Merida is a nice, small, Colonial style city with great shopping, and there are ruins fairly close. I think it would be a lot of fun to rent a car and have an adventure, maybe see the ruins, maybe swim in a cenote, definitely buy a hammock, for sure chow down on some local cuisine. I understand there's a national park somewhere close with a flamingo preserve, and that's crossed my mind as a possibility, too. Oh, and while it's illegal to drink and drive, the passengers can drink while the driver is driving, so we may have to designate Lilithelle as the driver. Which is scary. Until the drinks kick in, that is.

I already have my plane tickets. I'm arriving in New Orleans Saturday the first at 9:41 am, on Continental. I'm taking the earliest flight, just in case of any bumps. Once in New Orleans, I thought I might have the taxi stop at a store so I can pick up a case of bottled water, and maybe a liquor store so I can pick up a bottle of champagne. You're allowed to bring one bottle of wine or champagne in your luggage.

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri May 23, 2008 3:59 am

Here's what's topping my list for Progreso. Feel free to look around and toss any ideas into the pot.

Since I heard the beaches at Progreso aren't all that fantastic, I thought it might be fun to get a little more of the local culture. I'd like to get an early start, rent a car (sharing the price and self-touring will save us a bundle), and see some of the beautiful local sights.

For example ...

A self-guided tour here:
http://www.yucatantoday.com/destination ... haltun.htm

A swim here:
http://www.tamug.tamu.edu/cavebiology/Y ... hohol.html

A walk through here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Merida-cathedral.jpg

Toss in some local cuisine and the mandatory shopping, and voila! A full day immersed in local culture at a fraction of the cost, spent with good friends. They're all fantastic photo opportunities. If we could make Dzibilchaltun by sunrise it would be fantastic, but I don't think they'll let us off the ship early enough for that.

Oh... and Merida has a bull ring, but I'm honestly not interested in that. If you are, feel free.

Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Thu Jun 05, 2008 5:14 am

Like I said in the PM, I'm still going to try to get this done ... I really want to go. I've never been out of the country before, and this would be an amazing experience for me.

I will let you know for sure one way or another by the end of the month. I was also planning on school for the fall, I just wanna get that stuff settled before I go spending money on a vacation.

With that said, is there anyone still considering going who needs a roomate? I don't mind getting my own room, but figured I'd ask since Kelly told me to :)

<3
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:00 am

Silverast Rubicyn wrote:With that said, is there anyone still considering going who needs a roomate? I don't mind getting my own room, but figured I'd ask since Kelly told me to :)

<3

Sorry, I've already got a roomate!
We officially booked today, paid the $400 ($200 each) deposit and bought airline tickets.
I also emailed sweet olive bed and breakfast for reservations (I asked for the courtyard suite, don't know if someone else already requested it) for 2 nights after the cruise. We also will be looking for a place to stay on October 31st. Preferably a place super close to Port of New Orleans with a clean comfy bed. And cheap as possible. I would rather spend $20 bucks on more margaritas than spend it on a hotel room.
Is anyone else getting there a day early?
When and where do we buy these drink coupon thingies? All I can find is the soda one on Carnival's website.
Oh, and I'm with you, Kelly. Not interested in Bull Fighting but I liked your idea for the day in Progreso.

Vena (and Kiryan)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:20 pm

I am inviiiiiincible.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:11 pm

Ah ha! Confirmation: The courtyard suite is MINE! *cackle*
However, we may be willing to share our jacuzzi tub. No Kiryan, you cannot be in it when we share. You are mine, Mr. inviiiincible.

Vena
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:02 am

Soooo... Vena will allow Lili and I to share the jacuzzi tub with her, but not with Neo...

Interesting.

And Eddybear... you know darned well that if nobody else goes with an open space, you can stay with me and Lili! I'm taking my moose, but I'm sure you snuggle a lot better.

Okay, and check this out...

http://www.autoprogreso.com/portprogreso.html.htm

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:23 pm

Hey Kelly, get ahold of me. Some degenerate stole my phone and I lost all my contact info. I may be getting a job out by you soon. I have my second interview on the 23rd and if all goes well I'll be flying out after that :)

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 pm

Ashiwi wrote:And Eddybear... you know darned well that if nobody else goes with an open space, you can stay with me and Lili! I'm taking my moose, but I'm sure you snuggle a lot better.

Okay, and check this out...

http://www.autoprogreso.com/portprogreso.html.htm

I'm in talks with Sotana now about the cruise!

I'm not sure about New Orleans after the cruise though... is that what you meant? Snuggling with you in the Sweet Olive? Can I snuggle with Lili too? loool
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:17 pm

I meant on the ship, Eddy, sillybear. If you plan on going to New Orleans, we might be able to negotiate that, too.

But no... I won't share you with Lili. I am greedy and covetous, and after a hard day's work you are a shiny object I must possess.

Carl...

WHOOOOOOOOT!

Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:17 am

I now have confirmed itinerary for the cruise.

Kiryan and I will be arriving at 8amish on Oct. 31st (ewww red-eye.) We will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn a few blocks from the Cruiseline terminal. We will be attending a lovely cruise with mudders! We have stolen the courtyard suite at the Sweet Olive after the cruise. We will be flying home noonish on Saturday Nov. 8th.
Most of the stuff I booked was non-refundable so we're going to be there or lose more money than Kiryan is willing to part with. He pretty much isn't willing to part with any money that doesn't get him Addams Family Pinball, so the only reason I'm going to be lucky enough to go on a cruise is because it's your birthday, Kelly. Happy Birthday! I'm so excited!

Vena

P.S. I hope no one is planning a group t-shirt. That would be too scary. But I hear we need our carnival funpass or whatever it is wherever we go. I was thinking of buying lanyards for that because I hear it is easier that way. How nerdy is the lanyard idea? Shall I be sure to bring my fanny pack and pocket protectors as well? And how dressed up are we planning to get at the special dinner things? Are we going to be too drunk to attend these events?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:52 am

If I remember correctly, the Hilton is on Poydras street. You are within a couple blocks of the best reasonably priced food in New Orleans. Mother's restaurant. I highly recommend the fried shrimp po' boy and the jambalaya. For breakfast, the debris biscuits are amazing. Some people swear by the black ham biscuit, but I'm not a fan.

The casino is across the street from you as well. Bad.. bad place. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:42 am

Corth wrote:If I remember correctly, the Hilton is on Poydras street. You are within a couple blocks of the best reasonably priced food in New Orleans. Mother's restaurant. I highly recommend the fried shrimp po' boy and the jambalaya. For breakfast, the debris biscuits are amazing. Some people swear by the black ham biscuit, but I'm not a fan.

The casino is across the street from you as well. Bad.. bad place. :)

Thanks Corth! This is just the kind of helpful advice an overplanner like me is looking for. And Kiryan tires of me asking for the little details like: where should we eat? Shall we bring our tennis rackets? Should we try out the New Orleans bus system for the low, low price of $1.60 a piece with the very real possibility of getting horribly lost or just drop the thirty bones for the taxi? What should I wear? Can I get a pedicure? What do you mean "no I've already bought you a cruise you don't need a pedicure!"? What suitcase should we use? You know, it would be much easier if we had more distinct luggage. Should I buy new luggage? What do you mean you might need to spend my new luggage budget on my lawyer?!? What if I go to Ross and get it for really cheap? I'll even take your mom and she can get us the Senior discount at Ross as long as I go on a Tuesday. Uh, oh, he's putting in the earplugs again.

Lucky for me, Kiryan gave up his pursuit of the Addams family pinball machine until we find out what my little run in with the law will be costing us. My side of the story is, I am innocent and it shouldn't cost me anything. But if I plead guilty to 1 count, they will drop the other and it won't cost all that much. But I don't have a "record" and I don't want one. The lawyer will cost $3000 and that is just too much to pay. Stupid D.A. Stupid police officers giving me the citation. Stupid "good samaritan" who called the police in the first place. Seriously, if you see someone doing something you think is wrong, you should say "hey, chick, don't do that." Not go tattle to the police.

I think the Hilton you are thinking of was the first one I booked, but then got cold feet and cancelled the reservations. I found this code online to use as an IBM employee which made the $329/night room a $119/night room. But then I worried that they would check up on it and realize that we do not work for IBM and charge the $329/night. Besides, I think the guilt of dishonesty was eating me up inside. So I cancelled and went with the $135/night Hilton Garden Inn on South Peters Street. I was shocked when the money for this room came out of my bank account immediately. I've never stayed at a hotel that charges 4 months before you stay there.

Anyway Corth, I appreciate it.

Vena
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:55 am

Lol, Vena. You're a criminal! What did you do?

Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:56 am

Kifle wrote:Lol, Vena. You're a criminal! What did you do?

Like I said, I didn't do anything. I am innocent. However, I am charged with 2 counts of Child Neglect in the second degree. It is alleged that I left two sleeping babies in a locked car with the air conditioning running and no keys in the car (go remote starter!) on a 58 degree day for 10 minutes while I bought frosting at the grocery store to make these friggin' pizza shaped birthday cakes for my 7 year old's birthday party at a local pizzaria. The cakes were very cute. I made the frosting red like tomato sauce, grated white chocolate to look like cheese and cut out pepperoni shapes out of fruit roll ups. Damn neglectful mothers like me have no business putting on great birthday parties for kids. We had a magician, for crying out loud!
While I was standing in front of the judge last week for the arraignment, he was talking and I was so stressed out all I could hear was like charlie brownish "wha wha wha wha, wha wha". Luckily Kiryan was there to tell me what he said. I am a bit concerned, but Kiryan thinks I can represent myself. I get all stressed out when the DA tells me things like babies dying in the car all the time from this. It's not like I was getting drunk or in a casino or something.
So the violation reads: "A person having custody or control of a child under 10 years of age commits the crime of child neglect in the second degree if, with criminal negligence, the person leaves the child unattended in or at any place for such period of time as may be likely to endanger the health or welfare of such child." Another statue defines criminal negligence: "'Criminal negligence' or 'criminally negligent,' when used with respect to a result or to a circumstance described by a statute defining an offense, means that a person fails to be aware of a substantial and unjustifiable risk that the result will occur or that the circumstance exists. The risk must be of such nature and degree that the failure to be aware of it constitutes a gross deviation from the standard of care that a reasonable person would observe in the situation."
It's really such a small fine ($250 plus court fees of like 38 bucks) and it would be so easy to just be done with it. But I don't want to have any sort of record, even if it is just a misdemeanor.

So there it is! Thanks for asking Kifle.

Vena -baby neglecter- Former SOI
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:55 am

With as many children the police find dead after *I was just going into the grocery store* they have the moral obligation to follow up on anything .. I'm sorry to butt in but .. just wow, I'm floored .. This is about the time of year we start hearing stuff from all over the country about people forgetting their kids in the car ..

"My wife usually drops the baby off at childcare, I forgot she was in the car"
"I was only gone a minute"

Sorry but get a lawyer, seems to the untrained (me) thats pretty serious .. This is 2008 not 1957 not matter where you live.

/hijack

Sorry kelly
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:17 pm

I have to disagree with you Ambar. Although leaving babies unattended isn't necessarily a very good thing, on a 58 degree day, strapped into car seats, I don't think her actions were "likely to endanger the health or welfare of [a] child."

Seems like an overzealous police officer to me. Would have been better handled by an informative speech about how dangerous it could be under different circumstances.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:08 pm

How long does it take for someone to break a window and remove those children from their car seats?

Or are we trusting the general public to make sure that something like that doesn't happen? That "broad daylight" mitigates the risk to unattended children?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:13 pm

Corth wrote:I have to disagree with you Ambar. Although leaving babies unattended isn't necessarily a very good thing, on a 58 degree day, strapped into car seats, I don't think her actions were "likely to endanger the health or welfare of [a] child."

Seems like an overzealous police officer to me. Would have been better handled by an informative speech about how dangerous it could be under different circumstances.

It can be surprisingly hot in a car on a 58 degree day, if it's sunny enough.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:01 pm

Sarvis wrote:It can be surprisingly hot in a car on a 58 degree day, if it's sunny enough.

Yes, it was. That's why the airconditioning was on. And statistically the children are more likely to be hit by lightning than kidnapped in the manner suggested by Ragorn. But either way, now that the dangers have been outlined, steps have been taken to prevent this occurrence in the future.

Lets change this thread back to fun things like cruises!!!!!
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:44 pm

Kifle wrote:I hear the muff diving off the shores of Mexico is spectacular. You'll want to plan on that when you dock there.

You! I actually asked Kiryan outloud with children in the room what this was. I could tell by his laugh that I shouldn't have asked! Way to be helpful!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 pm

It's a country just south of the United States where most American cars are built. :P
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Alta wrote:
Kifle wrote:I hear the muff diving off the shores of Mexico is spectacular. You'll want to plan on that when you dock there.

You! I actually asked Kiryan outloud with children in the room what this was. I could tell by his laugh that I shouldn't have asked! Way to be helpful!

Ahaha! Seriously, it is spectacular :) You should know not to repeat anything I write in front of anyone under the age of 16.

Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:45 pm

Kifle wrote:
Alta wrote:

Ahaha! Seriously, it is spectacular :) You should know not to repeat anything I write in front of anyone under the age of 16.

It would seem the activity would be no more spectacular off the shores of Mexico than anywhere else.
I now have learned my lesson. I have been away from the mud and forums too long: I forgot.
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:16 pm

Okay, I've switched PVP's to Lisa Destafano, 866-455-8196, extension 86256; she's very nice, very helpful, so if you have any questions, please speak to her about this. I'd love it if you made any reservations through her, but I know it's probably too late already.

Laurel... I've taken care of the dining issue, and whomever told you that you would need my PIN# was a twit. Our reservations are now linked, so hopefully we'll get rooms somewhat close once they're assigned.

As for the muff diving... we can look into the cost once we get to Mexico, and there'll probably be a vendor right there on the pier somewhere. I'd really prefer snorkeling, though... the indigenous flora and fauna would be MUCH more attractive.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:55 pm

Ashiwi wrote:As for the muff diving... we can look into the cost once we get to Mexico, and there'll probably be a vendor right there on the pier somewhere. I'd really prefer snorkeling, though... the indigenous flora and fauna would be MUCH more attractive.

You've obviously never seen mexican muff. Simply divine!

Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:40 am

Kifle wrote:
Ashiwi wrote:As for the muff diving... we can look into the cost once we get to Mexico, and there'll probably be a vendor right there on the pier somewhere. I'd really prefer snorkeling, though... the indigenous flora and fauna would be MUCH more attractive.

Snorkeling is ok. It just feels so limited. Michael and I were thinking scuba. "If you're for scuba, I am happy."
I will leave the muff diving to Kifle. You should book the cruise and let us know how it goes, Kifle. I take that back. I don't want to know. But it would be great if you were there!
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:00 am

Alta wrote:What if I go to Ross and get it for really cheap? I'll even take your mom and she can get us the Senior discount at Ross as long as I go on a Tuesday.

I had no idea either that Ross was really cheap or that he does senior discounts on Tuesday's (although I'll trust to Mike's mom's experience).
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:41 pm

Alta wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Snorkeling is ok. It just feels so limited. Michael and I were thinking scuba. "If you're for scuba, I am happy."
I will leave the muff diving to Kifle. You should book the cruise and let us know how it goes, Kifle. I take that back. I don't want to know. But it would be great if you were there!

I would have loved to go, but the job market is killing me right now, so I'm left with very little disposable income. We just took the kids to an indoor waterpark/hotel for 3 days about a weekend, so other vacations will have to wait for a couple of months unfortunately. I would have loved to take a cruise to mexico -- me and the wife have wanted to see the ruins and shit down there for years and this would have been the perfect opportunity. Maybe next year :(

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:36 am

Laurel and Neo... have you been dive certified, or was there a particular excursion you were planning on taking? I'm not certified (never been diving), so I'd either have to get certified here in Oklahoma, or take the introductory excursion there, which I don't think goes very far or lasts very long. I could be wrong. I'll probably stick with snorkel, that way I can just pick up the equipment and spend all day on the beach enjoying it, but I've always wanted to scuba, so I need some more temptation.

Not to mention... what I don't spend in Cozumel is more I can spend in New Orleans, and the scuba's not cheap!

Oh, there's this... this would be doable, but it seems like a lot of time spent learning instead of doing.
http://www.diveparadise.com/instruction.htm

Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:29 pm

Scuba is a lot of fun but can also be a really tricky thing to get down in one day. I completed most of my certification when I was in the Philippines because it was so inexpensive and had a lot of free time. The problem I had was with regulating my breathing, so I was floating all over the place the first day out which is more frustrating then fun. It also screwed my ears up from floating up and down so much and made the next few days a bit painful. I'd suggest taking a quick course in a pool in your area if your able, or be ready to spend at least 1 day getting it down first. It can be really tricky because you'll see some coral or a school of fish and naturally hold your breath or alter your breathing, and find yourself floating up and away from what you were looking at!

Snorkeling is loads of fun, be sure to bring your own snorkel mask and fins so you don't have to blow money renting some!
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:59 am

Ragorn, since like over 90% of kidnappings are by family or people known to the children (like neighbors), I think you would be hard pressed to demonstrate that the kids were more likely, let alone likely period, to have been kidnapped in a locked car in a high traffic area than at home.

Ambar, so a few kids die each year locked up in hot cars from reasons ranging from honest mistakes to grossly negligent parents so the other 350 million of us need to be stripped of our ability to judge whether its safe enough to leave your kids alone for 10 minutes? I really hate people that believe that to save 1 life in 350 million we all have to extensively regulated by a bunch of damn laws.

Corth, one of my main arguments is going to be that this was not done "with criminal negligence". I think that the evidence will show that it was thoughtful and the children's safety was a primary concern even if the base decision to leave the kids in the car may have been poor. Any suggestions on creative plea deals. I don't think we are willing to plea to even one count of misdemeanor child neglect, but if they wanted to change it to a littering, we'd just pay the fine and move on.

Any reputable scuba shop will require certification. I did some pool training in Havaii. I want to scuba bad, so I'll probably get certified this summer so I can scuba in Mehico.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:35 pm

Kind of unrelated, last night here in Tampa, I was in a local establishment ("local" if you know what I mean), partaking of bubbling refreshment when a commotion arose outside. Apparently, a lady had just left the establishment to attempt to drive home, and while on her way to her car had to talk to several nice, uniformed officers about why she would leave her little one in the car to snag a few beverages inside...
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:40 pm

kiryan wrote:Ragorn, since like over 90% of kidnappings are by family or people known to the children (like neighbors), I think you would be hard pressed to demonstrate that the kids were more likely, let alone likely period, to have been kidnapped in a locked car in a high traffic area than at home.

I really don't think you want to debate me on this. In fact, I pretty much wish I hadn't read this thread at all.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:07 pm

It wouldn't be much of a debate, I'd just give you the national statistics then divide proportionally by the local area. You'd then have to explain how winning the stranger kidnapping lottery at 1 in 2.6 million by my rough calculations is "likely".
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:09 pm

kiryan wrote:It wouldn't be much of a debate, I'd just give you the national statistics then divide proportionally by the local area. You'd then have to explain how winning the stranger kidnapping lottery at 1 in 2.6 million by my rough calculations is "likely".

What if the neighbor/family member kidnaps the kid from a car while he's unattended though?

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”