101 reasons why Sojourn isn't so great...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Todrael
Sojourner

101 reasons why Sojourn isn\'t so great...

Postby Todrael » Thu May 16, 2002 3:26 am

1) Blocker code, especially when they block the direction you just came from
2) Wing buffet
3) Dragons in general
4) Skill loss when you lose level
5) Ress effects
6) Dragons
7) Liches live in Bloodstone?!
8) Hundreds of help file errors
9) Dragons
10) Lack a single important class, can't zone
11) Soloing is not worthwhile
12) Goodies have archery, evils have no ranged combat
13) Dragons
14) Webpage isn't updated
15) Development news isn't used
16) Spellups take 30 million spells
17) And finally, dragons

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu May 16, 2002 3:35 am

What about dracoliches?
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu May 16, 2002 3:37 am

18) dragons
19) elfs. gotta be elfs.

------------------
In the Great Cat's silence we walk,
In its speed we strike,
In its strength we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 16, 2002 3:58 am

20) Posts like these...

Well, I mean, Tod brings up some real problems that need to be addressed. Can't say I agree with how he does it, but it certainly gets across how he feels.

You gotta split all of the things into two categories Tod. Things that the gods spent time and effort to do that screws up the game (wingbuffet and blocking code), and stuff that is bugged and not a high priority to fix.

The gods work for free and its a real asshole that will complain because they can't get around to fixing the help files or updating the bbs. But on the other hand, theres nothing wrong with criticizing something that was purposefully put in place, and is bad for the mud. So yay on wingbuffet and blocking code, nay on helpfiles and updating.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu May 16, 2002 4:10 am

Just had a bad spank because of blocker code in cc, as I sat there watching, unable to do anything because typing 'south' didn't work and there were mobs in all other directions. That really got me pissed. So I started this thread and put that as #1, then it just kinda took off. Venting is good, every once in a while. I try to be constructive for the most part.. Image

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 16, 2002 5:21 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
What about dracoliches?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

They're bad if and only if they live in Bloodstone.

- Grungar "I hate physics" Forgefire

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 6:00 am

Todrael, you are a great newbie helper. Please give us the same! Where's the love? Image

On another note, spanks do suck. Keep on trucking...

Corth: Kossuth and Shar are fixing the help files, agian, as you posted, please be patient!

So, we're on item 21....

BLACKJACK!!!

------------------
Laduguer the Exile Sojourn Administrator

[This message has been edited by Laduguer (edited 05-16-2002).]
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 16, 2002 7:00 am

Yeah I'm fixing the help files. Give me props!

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu May 16, 2002 7:12 am

OMG remember the time where shevy took out the "east" command? now that was the SHIT Image I remember when Lig and I were trying to escape our clanhalls with retreat east. We made it down the hill before it crashed, too bad I couldn't reach Holm in time though Image

And Tod, the one thing i'm surprised you didn't put in was..

22) rares.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu May 16, 2002 12:49 pm

23 Experice sucks
24 solo
25 res fx
26 loss of xp from res
27 dragons
28 quests that dont make sense
29 quests
30 dragons

Postby Guest » Thu May 16, 2002 1:00 pm

Is the game really this bad that it needs posts like this?
What message does this send to the newbie that just joined up and has been playing for all of a month.
C'mon guys, think before you click submit.

------------------
Azuth God of Wizardry and Majiks
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu May 16, 2002 1:15 pm

Overall, I'm VERY happy with the game, sure there are some featues (bugs) and some glitches, but I've had a blast with it, even the spanks. Thinking about the monumental task of writing all the zones and skills and classes, then linking them together, then trying to make them run flawlessly... I gotta say, I'm impressed!

Thanks guys, I've had a great time so far, and looking forward to much more.

Toplack

------------------
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu May 16, 2002 3:43 pm

Well then, for all the newbs out there, here's a little fact of life to learn....

You will never be great if you don't have problems, because if you don't have problems, you're not doing anything.

------------------
Sszantiel
Sojourner

Postby Sszantiel » Thu May 16, 2002 5:16 pm

31. Rot timers.

A corpse has 18 hours when left alone but 2 hours if drug 1 room. I've had 3+ corpses rot because of this lame feature. You might as well just put back the 2 hour time limit.

My suggestion: Dragging drops corpse rot time by half. Scry and Spirit Walk drop rot time by 2 hours everytime they are used. Looting resets to 2 hours is fine.

thanks for listening,
/sszan
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu May 16, 2002 6:49 pm

Tod:

If blocking code is causing you problems, why not post about it or email me so I can address it?

Thanks.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu May 16, 2002 7:02 pm

Sure thing.

By the way, I would like to note that I have 152 playing days as Todrael. Sojourn isn't just a hobby to me. If I only post one negative thing in months, that generally means that everything is going great for me. For a while, I thought about starting a thread about how the god's were doing such a great job, as evidenced by the only whining on the boards being about something as mundane as earthquake bash.

32. Earthquake bash

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 16, 2002 7:56 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Shevarash:
<B>Tod:

If blocking code is causing you problems, why not post about it or email me so I can address it?

Thanks.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Theres been plenty of posting about blocking code. Its idiotic because theres no subtlty at all to it. blind mobs block, para'd mobs block, mobs block each other. You might as well just change the blocking message to the following: "For gameplay reasons, you are not allowed to move in that direction unless there are no living mobiles in this room"

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu May 16, 2002 9:57 pm

33. This BBS
34. Players and Gods that don't listen
35. Ego's

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Cardolan
Sojourner

Postby Cardolan » Thu May 16, 2002 10:02 pm

Mal, read your mudmail, please.

[This message has been edited by Cardolan (edited 05-16-2002).]
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Thu May 16, 2002 10:18 pm

98) Corth
99) Malacar
100) Blung
101) "I don't like half of you half as well as I should like; I like less than half of you half as well as you should deserve." ***LOR***

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu May 16, 2002 10:22 pm

At least I rated lower than Blung.. Woot. Image

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Shar
FORGER ADMIN

Postby Shar » Thu May 16, 2002 10:24 pm

Editing posts is not something I enjoy doing.

Malacar, you know what you did wrong. Please dont do it again.

Shar
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 16, 2002 10:25 pm

Blung would rate #1 on my list of 101 stupid people on sojourn Image

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu May 16, 2002 10:32 pm

Cardolan, no, I don't accept your apology. I never posted on here what you infer. But that's ok. Hey Shar, can you please ban my ip from the BBS? If you wanna include the mud for rules breakage, go for it. I still feel like an abused stepchild here, however. There needs to be better etiquette/guidelines rules to prevent abuses like the one that I judge occured.

Oh, and my 3 items were absolutely partially directed at myself. I do have an ego, a temper, I can be a dick, I can be abusive. By no means was I trying to deny or obscure that. The difference here, I think, is that I can admit those things, and actively work on them. Most people would agree that I have not been nearly as bad with my recent posts as I used to be. Most might not. I don't care. This BBS is the worst thing to happen to the MUD ever. No moderation on these boards, or selective moderation even, is just wrong. There are no real hard guidelines, except don't flame the staff, and don't posts quests. There are others, I imagine, but they are inconsequential. Corth said it best that the main problem with the BBS, is that anyone can use it. And yes, that includes me.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 05-16-2002).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Thu May 16, 2002 11:13 pm

Goddamn.

I'd rather the staff be WORKING ON THE MUD than having to moderate a bulletin board chock full of supposed adults who can't seem to get from point A to point B in terms of mud criticism without throwing a tantrum somewhere in between.

I've been guilty of perpetuating some bad threads, and I freely admit that, but the threads that really degenerate everytime have a common theme, nay, I should say a few common people posting on them.

Its not the bbs that needs moderation, its a few people posting on the bbs that do!

Damn.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu May 16, 2002 11:19 pm

So what you're saying is that you love me, right?

(woops typo!)

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 05-16-2002).]
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu May 16, 2002 11:31 pm

I think most people should learn to moderate themselves, and probably don't contribute all that much if they are unable to write/post accordingly. Why should the immortals spend their time moderating this BBS? Because a few people who write can not control their ability to throw tantrums, make people angry, and then are too stubborn to own up and apologize?

I can throw tantrums with the best of them. I am bi-polar manic depressive, genetically engineered for whining. But I am also a 23 year old man, who will stand up and say, 'I was wrong' or 'This needs to stop.' If you can't control your own hands, then maybe you should spend some time doing something else, and think about this game a little bit less.

-daz

------------------
In the Great Cat's silence we walk,
In its speed we strike,
In its strength we find victory,
In its Pride, we return,
Home.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu May 16, 2002 11:41 pm

I agree mostly Daz.

Sometimes even the best poster can be triggered by someone pushing their buttons though. So some should be accepted. A majority should not. I can think of about 5 useless posters on here offhand(myself among them lately), that could use some help in this area.

It doesn't help that when someone posts in this topic(pointing out the abusive posters), they make it accusatory, and just piss off the posters they are posting about(causing it to degenerate even faster). Both of these posts, from you Daz and Jurdex, I took personally, and would normally get angry about and post something awful nasty in reply. However, I just got off the phone with a support friend after throwing my tantrum earlier, so I have a reign on my anger atm. Why do these people(again, including me) get so angry when you do this? Because you are pointing out their flaws. Because what you said is right, even if in the smallest respect. It's not your job to do this (though sometimes, it admittedly is, like in this case).

So what I ask is to be mindful of your words when you post something on a really sensitive subject.

( I'd go into detail of why I have been so damn dark lately, but I don't wanna bore anyone, nor do I want pity. Suffice to say: My posts have been mostly infantile lately. Not always, but mostly. I intend to refrain from posting on here after this post, at least for a while. )

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu May 16, 2002 11:45 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>Goddamn.

I'd rather the staff be WORKING ON THE MUD than having to moderate a bulletin board chock full of supposed adults who can't seem to get from point A to point B in terms of mud criticism without throwing a tantrum somewhere in between.

Its not the bbs that needs moderation, its a few people posting on the bbs that do!

Dornax

Yah dornax your right. We should all kiss lots of ass and 'influence' the powers that be to make changes we desire. Image

Ok sorry, couldn't resist. I'll shut up now.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Fri May 17, 2002 2:37 am

So we can all pick out the negative things about this game, yet we all play it religiously. It's obviously not that bad. If you don't like the BBS, don't post or read it. If you don't like dragons, don't fight them (yeah I know they're a big part of the game, but if it ruins it for you, why bother), if you don't like the MUD, don't play it. You aren't bound to the MUD, you don't have a contract that holds you responsible for paying for a full year. Leave it it sucks, ignore the BBS if it bothers you, or play if you love it.

Glorishan
Gyrx
Sojourner

Postby Gyrx » Fri May 17, 2002 3:50 am

36. When i'm bored as hell in class I can't just connect to sojourn from my brain...god that sucks Image

------------------
peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Blung
Sojourner

Postby Blung » Fri May 17, 2002 3:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Glorishan:
<B>So we can all pick out the negative things about this game, yet we all play it religiously. It's obviously not that bad. If you don't like the BBS, don't post or read it. If you don't like dragons, don't fight them (yeah I know they're a big part of the game, but if it ruins it for you, why bother), if you don't like the MUD, don't play it. You aren't bound to the MUD, you don't have a contract that holds you responsible for paying for a full year. Leave it it sucks, ignore the BBS if it bothers you, or play if you love it.

Glorishan</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Since when is "Common Sense is common?" Image

------------------
Blung take no prisoner.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri May 17, 2002 4:19 am

Tod:

Thanks, I look forward to reading your comments about the blocking code. And I apologize if you took my question the wrong way, no rudeness intended. It was just the only thing on the list that I wasn't clear about it. Image

Everyone else:

Thank you for confirming my growing suspicions that the BBS is becoming out of hand and needs some modifications.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri May 17, 2002 4:22 am

Go Shev!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 17, 2002 11:32 am

202 its group oriented rather than a bunch of solo masters with an endless advancement system and 10x as much time as you invested
203 7+ years of history with a sizable core group
204 its not stagnant. new areas, new code
205 gods aren't uncaring assholes all the time
206 changes actually do get made that players suggest
207 its free
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Fri May 17, 2002 5:39 pm

wrong post kiryan. this is the isn't great one.

shev, i will moderate it. just give me the power to edit the post.

why isn't it great cuz i can't mud all the time anymore.

sok
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri May 17, 2002 6:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sok:
<B>wrong post kiryan. this is the isn't great one.

shev, i will moderate it. just give me the power to edit the post.

sok

Not one, but two quotable quotes!

99. wankers
100. choads.

------------------
Azuth tells you 'were you leading that disaster?'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”