need computer help

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Latreg
Sojourner

need computer help

Postby Latreg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:27 pm

I have a 2nd pc on the other side of the house, and i run a router off my main one. I don't know the the receiver on the 2nd is going bad or what but it keeps loosing connection and now it won't connect. I have a cable modem and the rounter runs off of it. So my question is, if I buy a long ethernet cable can I connect one end into the rounter and the other end into the 2nd pcs modem? seems it should work but would like some feedback before I go buy anything more. thanks.
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: need computer help

Postby Kifle » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:53 pm

Do you lose the connection from the first computer or just the one that is connected wirelessly? Is the first one hardwired into the router or does it run off wireless? Do you have a cordless phone in the house? Have you messed with any of the settings on the router or did you just plug n play? How strong is the signal when the 2nd computer can connect?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:16 pm

Kifle wrote:Do you lose the connection from the first computer or just the one that is connected wirelessly? Is the first one hardwired into the router or does it run off wireless? Do you have a cordless phone in the house? Have you messed with any of the settings on the router or did you just plug n play? How strong is the signal when the 2nd computer can connect?

I do not loose connection on the first computer, just the wireless one. The cable modem is run into the router and the router is directly connected to the first computer. just plug and play, it had been working but now it's having more and more problems, I'm thinking the receiver is going bad even though it's not that old (less than a year) and thus the signal strenght isn't enough like it was before.

Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Kissa
Sojourner

Postby Kissa » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:37 pm

Try running a hardware update on the wireless driver... if you havent already.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:38 pm

Try using a different channel than 6 to broadcast on your router and see if that helps. You could be getting interference from a neighbor's new wireless connection or something. Does this happen when computer 1 is shut off or just when it's on or both?

Ethernet cable isn't very expensive, so going that route wouldn't be a horrible idea, but I'd want to get the other working wirelessly if it were possible. Having a cable run through the house looks horrible and can be a hazard. I have doubts on whether the reciever is going bad, honestly. I've rarely seen that happen. It usually has to do with the router settings or the router itself -- unless you've had a recent power surge that could have fried the card...

Honestly, I'd try a different channel first. If that doesn't work, set it back to what it was on before and take the reciever out of the 2nd computer and plug it into the first and see if you can get a stable connection on the first computer. While you're in the router setup, I'd set up some security as well so people don't jack your internet. You should never broadcast your SSID and should password protect your network. But, worry about that after you get this problem fixed.

Edit: yeah, the router company could have released a firmware upgrade. It may fix the problem, but it's unlikely.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:18 am

I did switch channels, so far so good. I do have it password protected as well. I can run the cable through the cellar so it won't be seen, I may still do that, we'll see what happens. thanks for all the replies.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:11 am

Np, let me know how it works out. No sense in wasting money when something you bought should be working :)

Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Does your cable modem limit connections to 1 MAC address? I've had issues with my wireless router/cable after thunderstorms. If you turn everything off and then turn on the modem, than the router, than your PC the modem will detect the routers MAC address first and you should be all set.

Dunno if thats it but I've had this problem before.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:06 pm

Botef wrote:Does your cable modem limit connections to 1 MAC address? I've had issues with my wireless router/cable after thunderstorms. If you turn everything off and then turn on the modem, than the router, than your PC the modem will detect the routers MAC address first and you should be all set.

Dunno if thats it but I've had this problem before.

it had been working for a long while before, this is a recent problem. It will be connected then for whatever reason poof no connection.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:57 pm

Is it still up and running or did it shit out on you again?

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”