to anyone new to the world of toril

Stuck? Have a question? Ask here!
flib
Sojourner

to anyone new to the world of toril

Postby flib » Mon May 26, 2008 8:03 am

hey, so I'm writing this post because over the last couple of days I've met a couple guys who were days into the mud. If you are new, i'd like this post to be a place where you can post any questions or issues that you have.

A good amount of the players here have been here for quite a long time and are willing and more than able to help with any issues you have, myself included. So please feel free to give me a tell in game or send me an mmail with any questions or concerns you have or just post them here. Welcome to torilmud :).

Flib/Crystinshus/Asez/Omel/Redanian
Lathaniel
Sojourner

Re: to anyone new to the world of toril

Postby Lathaniel » Wed Aug 20, 2008 11:13 am

Greetings everyone.

Well I'm new here and have never played MUD before, al do i have hear of this sort RP-ing many years before.
I'm from Croatia (SE Europe, former Yugoslavia) for anyone who don't know.

I'm searching for good RP, and I'm assure that i can find this here.
So i would be happy if anyone could explain me how to start and if theres any things I have to pay attention to it,
would much appreciate.

Ah, and crucial question. I'm using simple English since I have never learned language is this maybe problem or something.

Best regards.
drdactyl
Sojourner

Postby drdactyl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:56 am

Why is this game so hard to start? This is the third or fourth time that I've come back to give this mud a chance and I just cannot believe how impossible it is to play. The first time was before Scarsdale even existed and even though thats a benefit I do not see how me playing for almost 16 hours to reach lvl 17 (more than 3/4 of which I was using the gear from Scarsdale) is even reasonable. The things that I can kill easily all give 1% or less even with gear that several people were kind enough to donate today when I hit around lvl 15.

What I dont understand is I have seen published several places here on this website, on the website that contains the maps and guides, in the help as well as straight out of the fingers of other players that it is hard to start. What is the point? If I didnt work on a computer all day there would be no way in hell I would have wasted this much time to get nowhere.

Most games introduce the player and get them a few easily levels and introduce them to how it all works and even let them be passable without the best gear. And of course it makes total sense that you have a lvl 1 moron walking around town decked like hes a dragon-killer. The only logic there is that thank god this isnt a pk mud or you would have one guy randoming everyone killing beetles in the cornfields.

</end whining>
drdactyl
Sojourner

Postby drdactyl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:57 am

After all that - my point is that everyone knows its hard, people post on here where are all the people under 40, you have a link to mudconnector to get more people and you make it literally IMPOSSIBLE for someone to want to play.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:07 pm

Begin Advice

You could try another class.

Troll warrior used to be a good class to start with. But sadly it may become boring quickly today because there are few evil race on.

Elf enchanter is a good class if you can get it to 16. After level 16 you can begin to group with highlevels because you can buff them.

Try and gcc for group. Mabye people have alts they want to xp.

End Advice
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:53 am

I found that shamans were a good class to start with myself. The only really hard part with them is from lvl 20 to 26 after that its pretty easy to find a group stone skin makes life so much easier. And at 21 U get a pocket tank, this helps tons when u cant find the groupage u want........ As long as u dont fail all 3 summons *grumble*
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:03 pm

amena wolfsnarl wrote: As long as u dont fail all 3 summons *grumble*

this is highly annoying and should be FIXED. Very discouraging for lower lvls...
drdactyl
Sojourner

Postby drdactyl » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:41 pm

If you are serious advising that a class difference is going to make anything easier or speed anything up as compared with a legitimate idea like...buffing gear in scarsdale so you dont need a lvl 50 alt to pass gear to your lvl 1 making it easier to level then you are being ridiculous. Like I said Ive played this mud on three different occasions and have played a troll warrior as suggested, human rogue, gnome rogue, human necromancer and elvish invoker. Im not going to play some class that i --do not want to play-- just to play this game.
therdann
Sojourner

Postby therdann » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:06 pm

The reason the mud is so hard.

This mud is an original a maverick in its time...lost now in a time warp.
This mud use to rock with 200 players and new players every week.. this was long before anyone even knew what a graphic card was... Most of us used our new super fancy 14.4 dialup for no lag gaming fun!

Then came color! let the world rejoice!!

Many zones here are now more a historical record of a place in time long ago..
But at times was magnificant in its glory! A world above all others...where you could get lost and find you and your friends in far away places having fun like you have never had before.

The keepers of this world I am sure have done a job worthy of its writers and creators over time to keep it a flowing world.. but time waits for no one ...Even on Graphic game engines and home T-1 lines.

But to dumb it down would be a dishonor to what was... and what should always be Toril.
denna39
Sojourner

Postby denna39 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:54 pm

Hmmmm, looks like the topic got off track...and might potentially be a little old ;-)

I'll introduce myself: My name is Bob and I live in Indiana. My girlfriend (who used to be an admin in Toril) wants me to play this game with her and so I'm taking my lunch hours to learn, learn, learn. So far I've managed to make a Dwarf named Yuvid (3/15 - rerolled as Fumoc. Still a dwarf) (say hi if you see me around) and found my way to the inn in Scarsdale. Yay!!!

Looking forward to exploring Torvil....I'll be sure to ask if I have questions :-)

-Bob
Last edited by denna39 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fumoc the Dwarven Warrior

Currently - Exploring the Temple of Helm outside Scardale. Dang there sure are a lot of Orcs here. What, you want me to get you something? How about I give you HOT DEATH!!!!
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey yuvid, if you need a hand give me a shout, i'm on as popinople. One thing every new player shoild know is our stat bot kegor, tell kegor ? And he will give you links to webpages for his triggers and will be able to tell you item stats which helps alot

Have fun
Popinople
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
denna39
Sojourner

Postby denna39 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks Popinople! I'll be sure to ask Kegor when I need some advice :-)
Fumoc the Dwarven Warrior

Currently - Exploring the Temple of Helm outside Scardale. Dang there sure are a lot of Orcs here. What, you want me to get you something? How about I give you HOT DEATH!!!!

Return to “NHC: New Player Help”