Once upon a newbie...

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
santego
Sojourner

Once upon a newbie...

Postby santego » Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:49 pm

Anyone have any fond newbie memories? Did you get pestered by a particular newbie, or laugh your butt off over some cute antic? Any hum-dinger newbie exploits of your own? I think newbies rule, so if you have any stories I'd like to know Image
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:51 pm

Ant Farm! that rocked when you were a newbie
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Tue Mar 13, 2001 10:59 pm

I don't know who it was, but there was a mid-level player at the town square of WD, (obviously leveled by friends and first timer to Soj/Toril) shouting for help because the bag their friend just gave them full of spanky extras was dropped and the town crier picked it up... ROFL!!! I got my halfling thief and was laughing so hard playing the socials the fact that 6 elites were standing around didn't even phase me. Got an invis, steal bag crier... then taunted him for a good 5 minutes before giving it back Image Newbies.....

Tayros
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:02 pm

Teleporting to get to Gloomhaven faster cause I couldn't bother to wait for Santego's cleric to summon me across is NOT among the smartest things I ever did. Image
santego
Sojourner

Postby santego » Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:06 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jegzed:
<B>Teleporting to get to Gloomhaven faster cause I couldn't bother to wait for Santego's cleric to summon me across is NOT among the smartest things I ever did. Image
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Heh, I think I remember that day. Did you manage to get your stuff back? *gurgle*...*gasp*...*drowning*....
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:17 pm

I don't think I got the eq back.. It was nothing fancy, just crap given to me by some nice trolls.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Tue Mar 13, 2001 11:27 pm

The GH king loves "surprise" drow visits while he is "busy" with his concubines..
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Wed Mar 14, 2001 1:56 am

Whilst exploring Menden-on-the-deep, I thought I'd go down a hole and got eaten by a huge troll. Luckily a few conjurers and others came to my rescue and quickly fished my corpse out. Moral: never go down holes without sending an elemental there first.

Yayaril

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 14, 2001 3:00 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Silverast Rubicyn:
I think that globaling god was Erevan, he had a few funny ones like that Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually yes, that was my global. I would have people get silly like that and I very well could have titled that guy too. People would also try to argue with me about how mean I was to do that before they finally figured out 1) I was a god and 2) everyone else saw it too :P

Ere
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:26 am

Newbie Memories:

Making the long journey to the Moonshaes as my newbie 6th level assassin, only to wander into Tristan's room and get beat down in about a half second.

Making the long journey to the Moonshaes as my 20th level ranger, only to wander into the bloodriders and get beat down in about a quarter of a second.

Making the relatively short journey into Undermountain as my 20th level ranger, only to get beat down by the drow in about three seconds.

And finally - finding out that it was illegal to use six different chars at once to try and retrieve your corpse from Undermountain.

Doh!

Moral of the story: look before you leap, and RTFM!
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:34 am

Well this didn't happen to me, but rather to a friend that sat down and decided he wanted to learn to mud. He had a little thief on EM, and a global went out. I think it was by Shev, but I'm not sure. It was the one where an elf kicks you in the shins and runs away giggling. I'm sure some of you remember that one. Anyway, my friend was in Leuth and the global came across, so he sends a tell to the globaling god, and said something like "Who the hell do you think you are, kicking me in the shin. I'm gonna whip your ass". Well the god got a huge kick out of it, and named my friend newbie of the day. I was standing next to him when it happened and couldn't stop laughing while I was trying to explain to him what happened.

Another story, that did happen to me, was that I was running around KV as a level 18 or so ranger on EM. I wandered into Gwark's room and got mightily smited. I started spamming people with tells to get them to try and help me. Finally, someone came to my rescue and killed Gwark so I could get my stuff. Alls I remember thinking is "Wow, this guy must be buff! He killed Gwark SOLO!"

Silly
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:57 am

I think that globaling god was Erevan, he had a few funny ones like that Image
imp
Sojourner

Postby imp » Wed Mar 14, 2001 7:27 am

Dont forget that without newbies the mud will just diminish to one of those multitude of empty muds, while it might be fun to tease em I guess few will stay long if pawned at.

/imp - Help a newbie, make the mud prosper!
Morek
Sojourner

Postby Morek » Wed Mar 14, 2001 8:21 am

Hmm...lessee...

One would definitely have to be getting my 5th level Assassin butt chased around Waterdeep by some displacer beast that had decided to pick me for its next meal, screaming and pleading for help as I went. I'm sure anyone within earshot got a good laugh. Image
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:34 pm

Hehe....I have to agree with Brugg, that ant farm rocked when you were a newbie/lowbie. I'd have to say that on toril I loved being a newbie barb and having the militia guards beat me into unconsciousness for fighting and leaving me in the streets. GAWD that was hysterical. I think the first time I met DB by taking a wrong turn in the mountains to Split Shield also ranks right up there. *holds up a horribly shredded, blood soaked t-shirt that says: I met DB and all I got was this lousy shirt*
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:38 pm

The ant farm truely rocked if you were a young thief learning to throw darts... hang out between the colonies, when they went at it, just assist and target the other color Image

Tay
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Wed Mar 14, 2001 7:00 pm

Oh, The millitia guards.....

Hmm, When i was a little lowbie I got caught killing in town by the millitia guards and they knocked me out. The thing is they didnt knock out the guy I was fighting so I slowly got my ass kicked while unconsious by a street sweeper. Lots of fun =P

[This message has been edited by Tilandal (edited 03-14-2001).]
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Wed Mar 14, 2001 7:41 pm

My favorite newbie memory

Back when Jenera was a palydork...
I was heading to SS when i saw an earth elemental just sitting there
i con'd it, decided to kill it as it was fairly easy and didnt know about that snazzy stone skin that they get
it kicked my ass and i fled all over the place with the thing right behind me
i was running around passing groups of astonished mid to high lvls hysterically laughing as i screamed for help.
A warrior finally killed it and gave me a decent helm for making his day Image
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Wed Mar 14, 2001 10:54 pm

Discovering the Kraken at level 21. Lost two levels CRing myself. It was dark in the room, and after a while I lost count of the corpses and I had to guess which .pcorpse was on the bottom of the pile, so I kept dragging the unequipped corpses out. Lavey played his alt and made rafts and torches for me at the river's edge for like an hour til i got it out.

Repsect the Kraken, tame the wanderlust.

Mp
Ithrynn
Sojourner

Postby Ithrynn » Wed Mar 14, 2001 11:29 pm

This was mean, but I have to admit it was funny in a sadistic way.

You know how newbies are always asking for eq?

Well, after an old jot run we were all splitting eq. There was a pestering newbie asking for equipment. I know everyone needs a handout at one point...but there are ways to go about doing it...and this newbie was going about it the WRONG way. Well, the newbie wouldn't quit so Jerthal decided to give him the gaudy frost giant crown...back when it was curse, blind, para, etc.

Well, the player decided to wear it...and suddenly there was nothing he could do. If memory serves all you *could* do was petition...you can't even consent because you're blind. I'm not sure if you could command 'quit' or not.

As much as I hate to admit it...it was funny as all heck.

I remember when I quit, I was looking for a prospective newbie to give all my equipment to. I pretended to be a newbie asking random low/mid rangers for help. Nobody came...or was even in the slightest bit helpful...so I duckponded almost all of it...except for the swirling mist cloak...oops that's float!

"Some idiot has dropped the cloak of swirling mists here." I think there was a Dwarven warrior named Keran there that ended up getting it, since it wouldn't sink Image...

However when I was getting rid of my storage items (still good stuff), I finally found a newbie ranger that would come to help...and voila! he got the gift(s) of his career to that point.
Zhadow
Sojourner

Postby Zhadow » Wed Mar 14, 2001 11:34 pm

Toril with my first char Paladin heading ss but end up dead in a dark cave killed by DB. Grin ... with my paladin again, but this time i met a hydra while exploring goblin cave. Toril in TF with my mid level shaman ... killed by elf warriors and some kind of a flying monster. Sojourn 2 with my troll warrior massacred by unknowned assailant. Later i found out it was the lizards. Those were the days Image
Somerled
Sojourner

Postby Somerled » Thu Mar 15, 2001 1:39 am

My very first time on Sojourn 1, I had found my way to Podville, someone gave me a leather collar to wear .. I thought I was spanky ... wandered into the Ancient Pod guy and type "kill" to see what would happen ... he threw me off the cliff! ROFL!

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”