Some Statistics on TorilMUD BBS Usage

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Some Statistics on TorilMUD BBS Usage

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 05, 2008 10:10 pm

The following data was gathered from the last 2 weeks of posts in the general discussion boards. Users with less than 5 posts were removed, as well as moderator posts.

Code: Select all

#   %        Poster
68   15.9%   teflor the ranger
62   14.5%   Corth
50   11.7%   Gormal
45   10.5%   Sarvis
38    8.9%   Ragorn
37    8.6%   Kifle
26    6.1%   Dalar
18    4.2%   Pril
17    4.0%   amena wolfsnarl
17    4.0%   Lathander
14    3.3%   Teyaha
9     2.1%   flib
9     2.1%   Llaaldara
7     1.6%   shalath
6     1.4%   Adriorn Darkcloak
5     1.2%   Alta

91.6% of the posts in General Discussion are made by: teflor the ranger, Corth, Gormal, Sarvis, Ragorn, Kifle, Dalar, Pril, amena wolfsnarl, Lathander, and Teyaha.

Average: 26.75 posts
Median: 17.5 posts
One Standard Deviation: 20.661 posts
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Duna
Sojourner

Re: Some Statistics on TorilMUD BBS Usage

Postby Duna » Mon May 05, 2008 10:42 pm

So are you trying to point out who the main argumentative people are?? I don't see the point of the stats, other than to show who likes to argue.
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon May 05, 2008 11:04 pm

Yes, it was a busy couple of weeks. I had so much to contribute in the way of art appreciation and 'rainbow kisses'.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue May 06, 2008 1:25 am

Sok is slacking.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue May 06, 2008 1:50 pm

Dalar wrote:Sok is slacking.

I miss being told the date every day.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue May 06, 2008 7:02 pm

Duna wrote:So are you trying to point out who the main argumentative people are?? I don't see the point of the stats, other than to show who likes to argue.

Lots of places use their usage statistics to get a good idea of who their audience is and where they're coming from. It just shows who's been here and has been using the board.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue May 06, 2008 7:37 pm

With the removal of an argument thread, the statistics in the first post are no longer valid :)
Duna
Sojourner

Postby Duna » Wed May 07, 2008 4:15 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Duna wrote:So are you trying to point out who the main argumentative people are?? I don't see the point of the stats, other than to show who likes to argue.

Lots of places use their usage statistics to get a good idea of who their audience is and where they're coming from. It just shows who's been here and has been using the board.

I understand the concept of usage statistics, but those aren't completely accurate statistics. You are only counting who has posted and not everyone who has been on and read the boards. Just because someone doesn't post doesn't mean they aren't part of the audience.
"A true friend unbosoms freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, and continues a friend unchangeably." - William Penn
" I"m built for comfort not for speed. " - Carl on Jimmy Neutron.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed May 07, 2008 4:35 am

Its accurate for what it is.. a statistic that counts which people posted on the bbs over a 2 week period. It does not purport to be a statistic that keeps track of who is reading the bbs.

How useful is it? I'm not sure. I guess it is interesting that such a small amount of people account for such a large percentage of total posts. I'm sure that in most online communities, a small segment of people account for a disproportionate amount of posts, but certainly I would theorize that the broader the distribution, the more the community is thriving.

I don't think that two weeks really can give you much data worth forming conclusions from though. Year to year statistics would be more interesting. If anyone can figure out a way to automatically comb the archives I would be interested to see how we compare currently to a few years ago.

Perhaps a more useful statistic, though, would be pbase statistics. I know that Miax had some charts set up years ago to track players on the mud. They have been gone for years, which is very unfortunate. I would love to see a long term chart of the pbase decline. Basically a graphical depiction of a dying community. Rate of decline, etc. I bet it would not be a uniform decline. I think that the rate of decline has slowed recently, as the true hardcore social mudders stay the course.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 07, 2008 5:41 am

I think its important to note that even though the audience might be larger than those of us who actively post, those who do provide content give that audience something to read. If people like Corth, Dartan, myself, Ragorn, Sarvis, and even Teflor/Teyaha since many people haven't ignored them yet were to stop posting, then there'd be nothing here to read.

I have no idea what the statistics posted were, but it sounds like a useless 2-week pull of poster data that doesn't tell anything.
Cap'n Touk
Sojourner

Postby Cap'n Touk » Wed May 07, 2008 5:51 am

How long until the few remaining posters put each other on ignore and the "audience" has nothing to read anymore because nobodies arguing? :( 'The hell am I going to do with my popcorn then?!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 07, 2008 6:17 am

I argue with Sarvis all the time but don't see myself putting him on ignore because at least his arguments make sense and are well-supported. Rags hasn't played this entire wipe and he's still here. I don't see Corth, Dartan, or myself going anywhere forum-wise no matter what happens.
(edited by Shar)

Please refrain from personal attacks against anyone. In this case, Teflor/Teyaha. If you wish to put them on ignore and keep them there, ignore them in return. Doing otherwise goes against the ignore feature.

Shar
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 07, 2008 6:22 am

Cap'n Touk wrote:How long until the few remaining posters put each other on ignore and the "audience" has nothing to read anymore because nobodies arguing? :( 'The hell am I going to do with my popcorn then?!

Feed it to your ferrets :)
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 07, 2008 6:31 am

Gormal wrote: I argue with Sarvis all the time but don't see myself putting him on ignore because at least his arguments make sense and are well-supported. Rags hasn't played this entire wipe and he's still here. I don't see Corth, Dartan, or myself going anywhere forum-wise no matter what happens.

i dont know how yo uplan to do that. theonly way i'll stop posting here is if i die, or am banned

i have no warnings unlike you.

(edited by Shar)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed May 07, 2008 2:58 pm

I'll continue posting here as long as my friends post here. I'll even post in threads started by people on my ignore list... the fact that teflor started this thread won't keep me from posting in it, even if I can't see his posts specifically.

I have no warnings.

I don't plan to get any.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed May 07, 2008 5:32 pm

Duna wrote:I understand the concept of usage statistics, but those aren't completely accurate statistics. You are only counting who has posted and not everyone who has been on and read the boards. Just because someone doesn't post doesn't mean they aren't part of the audience.

It looks like Corth has answered what you've said appropriately.

viewtopic.php?p=188343#p188343

Corth wrote:Its accurate for what it is.. a statistic that counts which people posted on the bbs over a 2 week period. It does not purport to be a statistic that keeps track of who is reading the bbs.

If you go back to the first post and read the top line, I indicated exactly what those statistics showed. You can draw your own conclusions.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed May 07, 2008 5:46 pm

Cap'n Touk wrote:How long until the few remaining posters put each other on ignore and the "audience" has nothing to read anymore because nobodies arguing? :( 'The hell am I going to do with my popcorn then?!

Touk just because they put everyone on their ignore list doesn't mean they'll stop posting. They just won't know what they're responding too and write random asinine crap in response to the only thing they can see which is the subject thread. Shouldn't change the content of their posts much from what they post now :p
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed May 07, 2008 6:31 pm

Pril wrote:

Touk just because they put everyone on their ignore list doesn't mean they'll stop posting. They just won't know what they're responding too and write random asinine crap in response to the only thing they can see which is the subject thread. Shouldn't change the content of their posts much from what they post now :p

Low blow, russian... low blow.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 07, 2008 8:13 pm

Shar-
Asking who other people might have on ignore is called a legitimate question, not a personal attack.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed May 07, 2008 8:18 pm

Pril wrote:Touk just because they put everyone on their ignore list doesn't mean they'll stop posting. They just won't know what they're responding too and write random asinine crap in response to the only thing they can see which is the subject thread. Shouldn't change the content of their posts much from what they post now :p

Wanna talk about content?
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 07, 2008 8:36 pm

Gormal wrote:Shar-
Asking who other people might have on ignore is called a legitimate question, not a personal attack.

it was the comment you made after the fact that was flame-bait
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed May 07, 2008 10:11 pm

Gormal wrote:
Pril wrote:Touk just because they put everyone on their ignore list doesn't mean they'll stop posting. They just won't know what they're responding too and write random asinine crap in response to the only thing they can see which is the subject thread. Shouldn't change the content of their posts much from what they post now :p

Wanna talk about content?

That thread is fun, the person who it's about loves it and has told me so on many occasions, and raises the general spirits of most people. I don't see how it can be classified as asinine crap at all.
The best of WTF statments of '06

--------------------------------------------------------

Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'

Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'

Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:01 am

Cap'n Touk the Prophet?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 am

Gormal wrote:I argue with Sarvis all the time but don't see myself putting him on ignore because at least his arguments make sense and are well-supported.

Hrm... apparently after falling in love with a stripper your arguments no longer make sense...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:35 am

Sarvis wrote:(Interesting that you only see me whining about ignore, as I haven't really done that very often!)
- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:43 am

*pat Ragorn*

Not much else to do lately, now is there?

Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Sarvis... First, let me say that I really don't dislike you, but some day you're going to realize that nobody could ever treat you worse than you treat yourself. You provoke 99.9% of all the bad words said about you, then cry about it. Every post has to become all about you. Every thread is a Sarvis forum for Sarvis to push and prod and garner bad attention for himself. Jeebus, can you let us read one thread that doesn't turn into a Sarvis jab-fest? When all you're doing is posting "I know how much you hate me" comments, all you're doing is trying to draw attention to yourself.

If you want good attention, go about getting it in good ways. If you want bad attention, keep doing what you do. You've been told a dozen times by a dozen people what you're doing to provoke the treatment you get. You're the only person I've ever met who could so obstinately refuse to accept any kind of constructive criticism to the point of starting arguments about it almost non-stop.

Go unleash your vitriol somewhere else. Come back here and hop into the conversation like a real part of the community, instead of trying to make every conversation about you.
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:57 pm

Ashiwi wrote:Sarvis... First, let me say that I really don't dislike you, but some day you're going to realize that nobody could ever treat you worse than you treat yourself. You provoke 99.9% of all the bad words said about you, then cry about it. Every post has to become all about you. Every thread is a Sarvis forum for Sarvis to push and prod and garner bad attention for himself. Jeebus, can you let us read one thread that doesn't turn into a Sarvis jab-fest? When all you're doing is posting "I know how much you hate me" comments, all you're doing is trying to draw attention to yourself.

If you want good attention, go about getting it in good ways. If you want bad attention, keep doing what you do. You've been told a dozen times by a dozen people what you're doing to provoke the treatment you get. You're the only person I've ever met who could so obstinately refuse to accept any kind of constructive criticism to the point of starting arguments about it almost non-stop.

Go unleash your vitriol somewhere else. Come back here and hop into the conversation like a real part of the community, instead of trying to make every conversation about you.

You mean like how I made this thread about me? Note that all I did was point out Cap'n Touk made a pretty accurate prediction about the Ignore feature and then point out that someone is ignoring me now who once said they wouldn't.

Just pointing things out should not be construed as a cry for attention, but if that's what you're looking for... you'll see it.

The only threads I have tried to make about me were ones where something reminded me of Kayla. So yeah, sorry for being a little emotionally weak and vulnerable for a few weeks. But maybe I was seeking some help and comfort. I guess that was too much to ask.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:27 pm

(edited by shar)

jk i made that up!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:23 am

You all are crazy. Stop reviving dead threads.
Raiwen
Sojourner

Postby Raiwen » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 am

*bump*

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”