Mmmm... Playoff Hockey

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Grungar
Sojourner

Mmmm... Playoff Hockey

Postby Grungar » Fri Apr 19, 2002 1:48 pm

Yeah, I haven't been around much lately. I've been getting all my ducks in a cute, fuzzy little row and then spattering their brains all over the pavement in a gooey strawberry mess. Funny how I can make time for watching hockey but not mudding...

Anyways, who's gonna win the Cup?

Gotta love the Avs. Last 6 years I've picked them to win, two of them they've done it... They're my pick again =D

Awright, back to work for me. Take care everybody.

- Grungar "You can kiss my carbonyl-protecting acetal" Forgefire

Ok, I know that was really nerdy, but hey- consider the source.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:08 pm

Maple Leafs and Sundin for Conn Smythe.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:37 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
<B>
Anyways, who's gonna win the Cup?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GO CANADIENS!!!

Da maudite anglais have stolen da cup from us too many times calice! C'est la faute du federale!!

GO CANADIENS!!!

------------------
Kafalarub -- The Duergar Wonder Ointment!
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Apr 19, 2002 2:50 pm

I see the finals being the Av's and the Canadians w/ Patty Roy picking up some more hardware against his former club in six.

Peter "the Great" Forsberg is back, "Super" Joe Sakic is in form, and Patrick *the Great Wall of* Roy is clutch in the playoffs. Defense wins championships, and the Av's have the best goals against in the league.

Toplack *Av's Fan* Frostbear

------------------
Zagaz
Sojourner

Postby Zagaz » Fri Apr 19, 2002 3:57 pm

Actually Jose Theodore is doing amazing this year! He has the best save percentage in the league, and a not too shabby GAA. I foresee them going against the Ave but The Candiens emerging victorious....although it would be nice to see a canadian match up in the finals, montreal vs vancouver!!

------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Apr 19, 2002 4:31 pm

Avs' and Canadiens?! nah...

I like the Bruins. They've got a big, tough team this year. Dafoe looked awkward most of lsat night, it was a fluke. The Canadiens are playing some tough hockey, but any team that can only score 2 goals within about 16+ minutes in power plays hasn't got it, IMO. The B's were playing most of the second period down a man. If Guerin can stay out of the penalty box for more than 5 seconds at a time, I think we'll see a very different game 2.

The Leafs are playing some tough hockey too.

In the west I like the Sharks. Nabokov has been playing tight and I think we might see some good play from Selanne before this thing is through.

Was anyone else let down by Brodeur's play on wednesday? I've got a hard time trying to get behind the devils, but Brodeur is just fun to watch in the net....usually.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Lamruil
Sojourner

Postby Lamruil » Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:07 pm

Canucks have the best record in the regular season since Christmas, I'd watch out for them I think they are going to roll over Detroit, then the rest of the league.

Canucks all the way baybeeee!

GO CANUCKS GO!

Lammy!
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Apr 19, 2002 6:54 pm

Avs of course.

But then I'm *heavily* biased, since I live in Golden Image

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:35 pm

Devils all the way, even though I don't know if they have enough to win this year.

Last year the Devils had a poor showing, the avalanche suck, and the devils deserved to win, they just sucked during the finals last year, I don't know what happened Image

------------------
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Fri Apr 19, 2002 7:57 pm

Sorry kings will knock out the Avs, setting the stage for the Blues to win the cup this year.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:27 pm

Lalsed:

Did you even watch the game?

The Devils were simply outclassed. Thats what happened.

------------------
gakaz2
Sojourner

Postby gakaz2 » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:55 pm

Go Blackhawks!!! Two hot goalies going into the time when it counts is so ideal. What do you all think of the hawks this year?
Trogar
Sojourner

Postby Trogar » Fri Apr 19, 2002 8:57 pm

I think its Toronto and Colorado in the final. I really want to belive Toronto will win, but Colorodo is just too awesome. If forsberg feels good... and Roy is having his best year ever.

Vancouver will beat Detroit and Montreal will take out Boston too.

Trogar
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gakaz2:
<B>Go Blackhawks!!! Two hot goalies going into the time when it counts is so ideal. What do you all think of the hawks this year?

They're definitely flying under the radar....but I expect that's because they're about to crash =)

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Apr 19, 2002 9:30 pm

Was at Game 1 of the Finals last year and I gotta say, the Av's way outmatched them there. To the Devil's credit, they pulled up their sleeves, and made a memorable series out of it.

Good points by many who hope their home or favorite team will win. Which is basically what I'm doing. I just have the Winningest Goalie of ALL TIME in net for my team :P

Toplack *stands protectively in front of the Cup * Frostbear

------------------
Ormiss
Sojourner

Postby Ormiss » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:43 am

Feels great to finally see Forsberg back in hockey; I'm relieved (but none too surprised) to see that he hasn't lost his amazing skill. I'd say I hope to see Colorado vs. Toronto in the finals, and watch Sundin take home the Stanley Cup finally.

But really though, as a Swede, you can basically just wait for any team to win, and be happy - really, how many teams do NOT have dominant Swedes in them this year? *smile*
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Apr 21, 2002 12:04 pm

The Penguins will definately take it! They are so sneaky, people don't even think they are in the playoffs this year. Hahah, jokes on them, the will make their strike in the last series!

Seriously, since my favorite pens are not in it this year Image, I will have to back my 2nd favorite team...the Redwings! OMG, Go Redwings! Unfortunately Colorado will smear the ice w/everyone, but hey! I can dream can't I?

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Mithlin
Sojourner

Postby Mithlin » Sun Apr 21, 2002 9:12 pm

Im going to have to agree with Lamruil
Canucks all the way...We are currently rolling detroit and ive yet to c any wing knock bertuzzi down (hard to knock down a 270lb when geared) i envision Linden stickin to his point a game avarage in the playoffs and when Naslund receives the Stanley Cup from Garry Bettment he will pull a Sakic and prior to skating it around the arena he will hoist it up and pass it over to Linden and let him have his well deserved skate around first. Vancouver over Detroit in 6. Nuff said.

GO NUCKS GO

Mithlin
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Tue Apr 23, 2002 12:10 pm

I kinda like the Canucks.. It's great to see Linden playing good hockey again.

A final between Leafs and Canucks would be great, as long as the cup comes home where is belongs...

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Sat May 11, 2002 11:10 pm

Bumpety bump bump.

Is it just me, or has the officiating this year been nothing short of atrocious?

- Grungar "Yeah I know, I'm a big whiner" Forgefire
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon May 13, 2002 1:48 pm

Its been an UGLY playoff year, for officiating, and play. Some seriously delinquent play combined with some sight impaired officiating.

Toplack

------------------
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Mon May 13, 2002 3:41 pm

I agree about the refs, there have been some grossly mis-placed non-calls at least in the Leafs two series so far.

Tucker should have been penalized on the Peca hit - it was deemed clean but something that questionable that leaves a player on the ice should be penalized.

Alfredson should likewise have been penalized on his Tucker hit the other night. Same reason. Instead he's not and scores the winning goal. Feh.

Oh well, Leafs are still kickin even with 7 regulars out and half of our AHL team playing in the playoffs. Whee!

Sylvos
Iaiken Toransier
Sojourner

Postby Iaiken Toransier » Mon May 13, 2002 4:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Sylvos:
<B>
Alfredson should likewise have been penalized on his Tucker hit the other night. Same reason. Instead he's not and scores the winning goal. Feh.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was such a load of crap, damn ref was staring right at it in the replays. I almost threw my rempote at the TV... thanks the hockey gods (who reside above the scoreboard) I regained control and kept to just a mild fit. But I hate the fact that NHL ref's are too stuck up to admit they've made a mistake after the fact. They just flip flop and make stupd calls the other way to "make up for thier mistakes." Stupid NHL ref's union... half of them should be fired...

You think for 100k+ a year they'd do a better fucking job?
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed May 15, 2002 2:07 am

Normally, I'm all for the Leafs in the east (since my Rangers never make it), but they were just dirty this postseason.

So I say Avs/Canes, with Avs in five or six.

Hey, I can hope right?

- Grungar "Finals schminals" Forgefire
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed May 15, 2002 7:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grungar:
[B]Normally, I'm all for the Leafs in the east (since my Rangers never make it), but they were just dirty this postseason.
</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sinner!

Leafs will go all the way! And NO leaf has EVER done anything dirty!

------------------
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Wed May 15, 2002 10:39 pm

I did an Alt e, f and searched for Shark and it only came up once. Man, west coast hockey gets !love. I pick the Sharks to win it all. Come git some!

Toarn
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Wed May 15, 2002 11:48 pm

Nah, if the Avs don't defeat the Sharks then Detroit is going to steam roll them.

I'll favor the Avs against Detroit, but not the Sharks.

------------------
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu May 16, 2002 12:57 am

I think the sharks are actually playing good enough to take the cup this year, and it would be an unfortunate thing at that.

Agreed, my detroit has the talent, but they are just getting old...I think they might make it to the cup, but they will be too damn tired to win Image

Of all the hockey i have watched this season, I am switching my vote to the sharks if they beat the avs.

------------------
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 16, 2002 5:12 am

Yaaaaaaaay Forsberg!

- Grungar "Hockey or study... Tough choice" Forgefire
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu May 16, 2002 2:04 pm

Peter the Great and St. Patrick came through. The Sharks may have been playing well enough to win the cup, but the puck didn't bounce their way. Detroit has 5-6 hall of famers on the team, so does Colorado, the age difference may be negated by Detroit getting more rest. Should be a 6-7 game series, tons of hitting if the theme of this years playoffs rings true, but not a lot of fights.

I'm hoping the Av's Win, but will be grueling in all liklihood. I'm also hoping if we don't that whoever in the east does win the cup. Sorry, longtime rivalry thing w/ Detroit.

Hopefully the ref's will all visit the optomitrist before Saturday's game.

Toplack *Go Av's* Frostbear

------------------
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu May 16, 2002 8:39 pm

Mike Ricci is cute!

Toarn

Is there anyone more ugly than that dude?
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Thu May 16, 2002 8:39 pm

Mike Ricci is cute!

Toarn

Is there anyone more ugly than that dude?
Xolan
Sojourner

Postby Xolan » Thu May 16, 2002 11:18 pm

Yeah, I haven't been around much lately. I've been getting all my ducks in a cute, fuzzy little row and then spattering their brains all over the pavement in a gooey strawberry mess. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hrm.... Ya know.. you could get into a lot of trouble Mister.... I mean A LOT OF TROUBLE threatening us ducks. Don'y joo foo's know its wabbit season?

Quack diddy Quack Quack.
QUACK!

Xolan Zol'Lek - Duckymoto - Quackfoo
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 16, 2002 11:48 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Keran:
Mike Ricci is cute!</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He always looks like he's going to cry. Don't get me wrong, I love San Jose (third favorite in the west, after Avs and Blues), but yeah. Niklas Sundstrom has some damn spiffy hair. And Marcus Ragnarsson has a cool last name.

- Grungar "Time to go study.... NOOOOOOO!" Forgefire
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Fri May 17, 2002 12:14 am

And Marcus Ragnarsson has a cool last name.

Hurm, you just pointed something out to me. Seems like Canadians names sound like Trolls/Squids. Therefore, Canadians are evil. <<bow>>

Peace, I'm out.

Toarn
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Wed May 29, 2002 9:14 pm

And then there were three...

Grats to Carolina for downing the Leafs, no easy task. Must say, they earned their trip to the Cup.

Now with the Wings on the verge of being sent packing by my boys the Avs, any more predictions?

I've not been able to watch the tele much; has the officiating been getting better?

Aiight, back to work.

- Grungar "Forsberg is my hero" Forgefire
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Thu May 30, 2002 1:49 am

Ok I just answered my own question by watching the first half of tonight's game. The officiating has not improved at all, in fact, it has gotten worse. It was so bad, I turned the TV off and started studying physics (before coming to rant on the BBS). Rant time.

I've read that the refs say that they just want to make everything even. That's not their job. Their job is to call infractions against the rules in an unbiased manner. I haven't seen very much of that this past post season, and this is a disturbing trend I've noticed growing over the past few years. It seems as though they try and force series to go to Game 7's, they try to create an atmosphere of tension and all that good stuff. That's already there! There's plenty of tension already, plenty of emotion, and normally, playoff hockey is the best hockey there is. This year, I'd say that Olympic hockey kicks the ass off of the NHL post season, simply due to the fact that the officiating was nowhere near as biased. Sure, Team USA didn't win the gold, but Team Canada earned it. And that's why they won. The same should be true for NHL games. But it's not. It seems as though the refs are the ones deciding the games, not the players! This is definitely wrong. In every series this year that I have seen, it looks as though the refs pick the team that they want to win and make it hell for the opposing team. When you have to play against another team, it's an accomplishment to win. When you have to play against another team AND the refs, it's downright impossible. I think that the officials thus far have done a great disservice to the game of hockey, to the players, to the fans, and especially to themselves. I certainly hope that they look at tapes of every playoff game over the summer and think to themselves, "Holy Shit! What were we doing out there? We've gotta make this a little bit more unbiased!"

Ok thanks for listening to me rant and whine.

Physics > hockey right about now, and that's pretty damn sad.

- Grungar "Call it as I see it, even if I was born deaf, blind, and dumb" Forgefire
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Sat Jun 01, 2002 6:31 pm

I predict it will be Detroit and the Canes for the cup.

•ducks•

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sat Jun 01, 2002 9:08 pm

Was it my imagination or was the reporting on ESPN rather biased this series as well?

------------------
Calinth
Sojourner

Postby Calinth » Sun Jun 02, 2002 6:30 am

Hardly your imagination, the announcers on ESPN are both biased against Colorado and towards Detroit, which made it a tad overboard in this series. Neither of which is a new development, you'd have really noticed it last year, especially during the cup finals. Melrose is probably one of the worst, but I figure part of that is cause the Avs took the Kings(he used to coach them) out of the playoffs two years in a row.

Cal
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jun 03, 2002 3:49 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Elseenas:
<B>Was it my imagination or was the reporting on ESPN rather biased this series as well?

Not just the reporting, but the reffing too. Not gonna watch hockey at all next season, I'm that dissatisfied. Good God, I have NEVER seen anything that biased! Methinks all the refs had their money on Detroit, and just didn't wanna lose the pool and thus have their bookies break their knees.

- Grungar "GO CANES!" Forgefire
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jun 03, 2002 4:28 am

Ok don't mind me. I can't read or write properly.

- Grungar "Aha, the letter 2 my friend, the letter 2." Forgefire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Jun 03, 2002 11:43 am

Oh yes! Detroit all the way! Eat that you damn Canuks!

------------------

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”