Interesting email...

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Interesting email...

Postby Lathander » Fri May 15, 2009 11:42 pm

Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2008 Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Republicans: 2.1
Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Republicans won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country. Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegals and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years. If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message.

If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom!
avak
Sojourner

Re: Interesting email...

Postby avak » Sat May 16, 2009 12:38 am

Hmmm, so he points out rural versus urban? Not exactly breakthrough research. Certainly slanted presentation.

Here's a couple of interesting points though:

"Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million" - apparently repubs don't vote.

Hemline is either an imaginary school or the perhaps the data are as accurate as the spelling of Hamline.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Sat May 16, 2009 1:27 am

http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/w ... lsons.html

This chain e-mail is a hoax. The "statistics" are grossly incorrect, and Prof. Olson says he didn't write it.

First, Joseph Olson is a professor at Hamline (not Hemline) University School of Law in St. Paul, Minn. None of what appears in this e-mail was written by him. He has been denying authorship of this old hoax since earlier versions first cropped up after the 2000 election. Most recently he posted a disclaimer about the 2008 version on his university profile page:

Olson: There is an e-mail floating around the internet dealing with the 2008 Obama/McCain election and the 2000 Bush/Gore election, remarks of a Scottish philosopher named Alexander Tyler, etc. Part of it is attributed to me. It is entirely BOGUS as to my authorship. I've been trying to kill it since December 2000. For details see: http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/tyler.asp.

More important, the "unreported stats" listed in this e-mail are all wrong:

* President-elect Barack Obama actually carried 28 states (and the District of Columbia), not 20 as claimed in the message. Sen. John McCain carried only 22 states, not 30.

* The total area of states won by Obama is actually 1,483,702 square miles, significantly more than the 580,000 stated by the e-mail. McCain's states have an area of 2,310,315 square miles, not the 2,427,000 claimed.

* The population of counties carried by Obama is just under 183 million, not the 127 million claimed. McCain carried counties with a total population of just under 119 million, far fewer than claimed in this message.

* The murder rate for counties carried by Obama was 6.56 per 100,000 inhabitants, less than half the rate claimed in the message. The rate for counties carried by McCain was 3.60 per 100,000, much higher than claimed in the message.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat May 16, 2009 5:43 am

rofl pwned so bad

Stop forwarding chain emails please lathander. You lost. You're in the minority. LIVE WITH IT.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat May 16, 2009 9:31 am

Lathander wrote:Professor Joseph Olson of Hemline University School of Law, St. Paul , Minnesota , points out some interesting facts concerning the 2008 Presidential election:

Number of States won by: Democrats: 19 Republicans: 29
Square miles of land won by: Democrats: 580,000 Republicans: 2,427,000
Population of counties won by: Democrats: 127 million Republicans: 143 million
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Democrats: 13.2
Murder rate per 100,000 residents in counties won by: Republicans: 2.1
Professor Olson adds: "In aggregate, the map of the territory Republicans won was mostly the land owned by the taxpaying citizens of the country. Democrat territory mostly encompassed those citizens living in government-owned tenements and living off various forms of government welfare..."

Olson believes the United States is now somewhere between the "complacency and apathy" phase of Professor Tyler's definition of democracy, with some forty percent of the nation's population already having reached the "governmental dependency" phase.

If Congress grants amnesty and citizenship to twenty million criminal invaders called illegals and they vote, then we can say goodbye to the USA in fewer than five years. If you are in favor of this, then by all means, delete this message.

If you are not, then pass this along to help everyone realize just how much is at stake, knowing that apathy is the greatest danger to our freedom!

For 8 years Republicans have literally screwed this country. I was once berated on this site for claiming Bush was arrogantly railroading this country into the ground, only to have the worst recession/depression in decades cap off his presidency. Yet Republicans are so butthurt over their loss that 5 months after Obama took office they still need to resort to bullshit lying tactics to try and redeem themselves for their loss.

You fucked the country for 8 years. Deal with it.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat May 16, 2009 2:51 pm

He watches Faux News. Are you really surprised he would forward this?
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat May 16, 2009 3:51 pm

For 8 years Republicans have literally screwed this country.

Don't say literally when you don't literally mean literally...
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun May 17, 2009 3:11 pm

For the last several months Obama has been figuratively screwing the country?!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun May 17, 2009 3:37 pm

I think you are looking at the bundled commission table. The unbundled is .0035 cents a share commission, plus whatever the exchange fee is. You are probably trading about 700 shares of FAS at a time. Interactive Broker's take on that is $2.45. I'm not sure what the exchange fee is, but certainly once you add it in it will be far less than what Ameritrade is charging you.

See this link:
http://daytrading.about.com/od/brokerag ... veBrok.htm

You do need to have an initial $10,000 deposit to open an account...

FYI - I never used IB. I do maybe 10-15 trades a year, so I actually use Ameritrade because I'm comfortable with it. If I were doing 10-15 a month I would absolutely be with a discount broker.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun May 17, 2009 3:40 pm

Corth wrote:For the last several months Obama has been figuratively screwing the country?!

But wait, isn't the Objective Presidential Approval Meter (the DOW Jones index) up this month???

You are probably trading about 700 shares of FAS at a time. Interactive Broker's take on that is $2.45. I'm not sure what the exchange fee is, but certainly once you add it in it will be far less than what Ameritrade is charging you.

Maybe. My last trade was 1,580 shares... the figure I was looking at was $0.005 per share, which came out to $7.90.

Hmm, I'll have to do some research.
- Ragorn
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun May 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Hrmm, I put that post in the wrong thread huh...

Still haven't sobered up since last night or something.. :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 25, 2009 5:02 am

Sarvis wrote:Yet Republicans are so butthurt over their loss that 5 months after Obama took office they still need to resort to bullshit lying tactics to try and redeem themselves for their loss.

Do you have even an ounce, nay, even the smallest unit of evidence that a Republican wrote the e-mail?

No.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 25, 2009 7:02 am

teflor the ranger wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Yet Republicans are so butthurt over their loss that 5 months after Obama took office they still need to resort to bullshit lying tactics to try and redeem themselves for their loss.

Do you have even an ounce, nay, even the smallest unit of evidence that a Republican wrote the e-mail?

No.

You're definitely right. It COULD have been a Democrat writing the email, trying to make the Democrats look bad somehow.

It's just so fucking unlikely that you'd have to be Teflor to even entertain the thought.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 25, 2009 6:34 pm

Sarvis wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

No.

You're definitely right. It COULD have been a Democrat writing the email, trying to make the Democrats look bad somehow.

It's just so fucking unlikely that you'd have to be Teflor to even entertain the thought.

Or a democrat (nevermind all sorts of other interest groups) seeking to make republicans look bad by making it seem like republicans have to "resort to bullshit lying tactics."

You really need to draw these thoughts out just one more step. Also, lumping in an entire party of Americans with someone who supposedly resorted to lying is calling a good half of America liars. Are you really that stupid? Do yourself a favor, and just stop. Stop trying to be so prejudiced, stop painting an entire group of people with such a broad, prejudiced brush, and stop trying to make such loud and rude insults.

Stop it.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon May 25, 2009 7:49 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:Also, lumping in an entire party of Americans with someone who supposedly resorted to lying is calling a good half of America liars.

You know what's funny? I'm not wrong. Republicans are liars. So are Democrats. So is anyone over the age of two, when they first realize that other people don't know what they are thinking.

Everyone lies. So fuck off and stop trying to start trouble.

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon May 25, 2009 8:48 pm

Sarvis, the one who loudly insults and enjoys calling people liars is the one trying to start trouble.

Stop it.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”