Ghore Token XP is broken

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Kindi
Sojourner

Ghore Token XP is broken

Postby Kindi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:15 am

The alligator skin quest in Ghore that gives XP is completely and utterly broken. Even Lase agrees. He's managed to get like 4 chars to level 50 with basically no work since he can solo as rogue then transfer tokens to other chars. Cleric to level 50 in <30 mins ptime, etc. Plz fix.

Ross tells you 'ghore did for exp what auction bug did for money =('

Banning Ross optional.
Dalar
Sojourner

Re: Ghore Token XP is broken

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:55 am

His rogue is completely decked out. Try doing it before complaining.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:00 am

I agree it is a little broken, but this is no way near the auction bug.

I think an ok fix could be to hide the skins, to generate a timesink, and prevent stealing.

It mainly needs to be balanced for the majority of players. If someone, that already can xp fast, can benefit more, then I don't really care.

Edit: and make quest mob aggro good_race
Naled
Sojourner

Postby Naled » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:36 am

Personally I don't think it's broken that much. It sure helped reviving evils a bit. Besides Ross spent hours and hours farming xp tokens with a fully decked rogue that simply kills twice as fast as others. During that time he could probably have levelled the alts as well. I know I've levelled a rogue alt in the time he farmed the xp tokens for one. So all it does is replace xping a random class with rogue xp. So please don't go around asking to ban people if you don't have a clue.

The only thing to consider I guess is that you farm tokens from mobs that already give xp, in effect making those double xp mobs.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:45 pm

1) The banning thing was a joke in reference to the auction bug reference. Jeesh lighten up.

2) Luckily rogue xp is the easiest xp in the game. I gave up on my cleric before someone loaned me a decked out set. I know others have given up on classes because they just can't XP them. If you guys want the most powerful rogues to have all the ench / clerics because no one else can be bothered then go ahead. Personally I'd rather you make cleric / ench xp more tolerable than allowing others to xp with a diff char.

3) Protip: if everyone's doing it!!!! and no one wants it to change!!! then it's probably broken. too good to be true an all that.

4) I don't really care i was just posting it for Ross since he's the one who told me just how broken it was and nobody seemed to be debating it on the forum and this is the only place Shev reads stuff
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:00 pm

There are some fixes coming very soon for this issue.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:02 pm

Shevarash wrote:There are some fixes coming very soon for this issue.

Lame. This has been around for almost a year and done multiple times.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:48 pm

Your argument doesn't make sense. Please provide context.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 pm

The experience tokens have already been downgraded twice. Areas and I assume Coders knew that this was occur.

The alligators and snakes use to give a fuckton of exp more than they do now. This was changed to its current state.
When I did the dagger turnins, a bunch of us had our daggers removed because it was "an exploit or wrong". Actually, it wasn't. It's not my fault Annam didn't check to see if the dagger was there.

Now, you're downgrading it again because someone took the time gather up a ton of steaks/snakes to level a char up to 50? What is wrong with the current system? There are exp caps and the exp isn't even that high.

How about addressing real game balancing issues like dragons being a joke to a rogue + elem?
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:56 pm

Dalar wrote:How about addressing real game balancing issues like dragons being a joke to a rogue + elem?

SHHHHH dont mention that, theres still some dragons i need to kill :P
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:34 pm

Here's what I know about the issue:

1) Annam has made some changes to the quest that will go to the live MUD soon. As far as I know the exp has not been downgraded, but I could be wrong. I'll leave it to him to explain the changes and why he's making them.

2) The current exp quest system in general on Toril is not very good, and doesn't account for level scaling and transferring tokens and repeatability and all the things that make a system like this work. We need a better system, because we SHOULD have tons of quests like this that you can get exp from, and we could do that with a fully fleshed out system. Getting a system like this in place is a long term goal for myself, but I'm not currently working on it.

3) One could theorize that the new racial code could allow for some tweaking to dragons. Just saying.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:08 am

Shrug apparently people are farming them like crazy so for example Ross has 300 and someone else has over 1000. Apparently that's enough to level like almost 7 chars to 50 if you wait to hand them in on double xp?
dem
Sojourner

Postby dem » Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:11 pm

Make them no-rent... Problem solved. Mobs will be worth prolly double exp then normals but wont yield any cash. If you wanna risk it an stack some up u can do it but if it crash your fucked.
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:08 pm

Damn i know you meant the bansite as a joke kindi but your whining is borderline Thilindel. You go twink steaks and farm and THEN make an opinion. Yes exp is easier there and theres fixes on the way. But just because i spent 2 full days there farming to lvl a few alts... i had 35 lvl 50 alts exped through grind before i added 2 easier alts.

When you farm and see the effort it takes and see what steaks are worth... then whine or complain or make an educated post. but 300 turnins doesn = 7 lvl 50 alts. I turned in 86 skins last night for 200% ask anyone how long it took me to get 86 skins at maybe 2 per pop and 15 min per pop... and steaks are worth alot less then skins. i went from 47- 49.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:58 pm

Malia wrote:Damn i know you meant the bansite as a joke kindi but your whining is borderline Thilindel.

When you farm and see the effort it takes and see what steaks are worth... then whine or complain or make an educated post. but 300 turnins doesn = 7 lvl 50 alts.

I was trying to contribute facts by quoting Ross but he says they're wrong since I didn't get the whole picture - 300 skins = 2 chars to 50 along with a bunch of steaks (two types of steaks) and such to get the lower levels and done on double xp day. so there are some conditions and i was pulling from the 300 to the person who had 1000.

I wish the ppl who really knew what was going on would discuss it instead of just bashing :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:28 pm

Kindi wrote:
Malia wrote:Damn i know you meant the bansite as a joke kindi but your whining is borderline Thilindel.

When you farm and see the effort it takes and see what steaks are worth... then whine or complain or make an educated post. but 300 turnins doesn = 7 lvl 50 alts.

I was trying to contribute facts by quoting Ross but he says they're wrong since I didn't get the whole picture - 300 skins = 2 chars to 50 along with a bunch of steaks (two types of steaks) and such to get the lower levels and done on double xp day. so there are some conditions and i was pulling from the 300 to the person who had 1000.

I wish the ppl who really knew what was going on would discuss it instead of just bashing :P

Ross gave you opinions, not facts. You are perceiving them as facts and telling everyone about it. Basically crying wolf.

300 skins doesn't put 2 chars at
1 skin = 750k
50 rogue = 175 million
Also, there is an exp cap of 25% of your level per turnin I think, so you can't just use straight up skins.

I wish the ppl who really didn't know what was going on would not post :P
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:41 pm

Ssor tells you 'and i got 300 skins enough for at least 2 more 1-50 with 0 work'

I was quoting and I wouldn't have posted if someone else would have but it didn't seem anyone was going to. He later clarified that he used steaks from 20 to 40 or so then skins. Plz keep the conversation on the quest rather than bashing. Thanks for posting actual data that helps clarify things
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:17 am

OK, the chances to get a snake skin is like 1/3
To kill, you need to output 8k damage against a target that hits like a truck.

Let's say get 1 skin per pop. 1 pop = 20 min
3 per hour
do the math for me please. It was fine the way it is.
If annam changes it to make the qmob disappear after each turnin that's stupid.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:24 am

just thought id say my two bites here:

i lvled a dire from 25 to 36 in 3 hrs soloing young alligators the other day, course that was with the help of tia haste armor (borrowed tia gear ftw!) over the next 8 hrs i gained 3 more lvls doing the same thing. this is fast xp for sure, but it does take some serious grinding. thats about 12 kills a pop for 4 pops an hour, so thats looking at something close to 150 kills. after that it gets really slow, and soloing the next size of gators really hurts at lvl 39.

One thing id really like to point out about the pbase is.....we are getting old. Not everyone has the time to lvl a dozen alts the old fashioned way. and than after lvling them, theres the month worth of skills practice they need, even if you didnt power lvl them. Thats a lot of time. and most of us have families and other commitments.

Now i think alternatives to the way we have traditionally xped is a great thing, it allows people to roll more classes and fill more rolls in zoning, god knows after starting to lead some zones its a pita to find people to play certain classes, (btw chanter in training accepting donations of Q scale :P).

I know people are gonna complain about how newbies arent gonna have anyone to xp with, first off there arent that many newbies and atm goodies have to xp the old fashioned way, so they will find someone, (I know theres a way for goodies to use the tokens too, but most dont take advantage of this from what ive seen)

If i might make a recommendation:
-make the tokens hidden (so the damn rogues cant steal) this will make it more of a time sink,
-possibly make a lvl cap for the whole thing at 45 forcing people to lvl thier chars to 50 the old fashioned way, also making them make up for thier skills that they are certainly lacking. this will still allow people to lvl alts to a usable lvl, and keeping traditional xp alive and well.

The real fun of toril isnt in lvling, although with the right people it can be fun, the fun begins when u start to do things like zone or solo tough mobs. I still wonder why i spent 6 months lvling my first char to 50, its boring and not entertaining at all, from a newb perspective its very frustrating having to wait till your close to 50 to start to do the real fun stuff.

I would like to see other alternatives to xping the old fashioned way, i know i find it very hard to get out there and grind out the same mob a hundred times for 1% a kill. xp quests are a great thing cause it makes people want to xp again.

Alternatives to traditional xp is something that i think should be explored more.
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Sat Nov 14, 2009 9:57 pm

I just leveled a Yuan Rogue from 31st to 41st in 2 days (roughly 12 hours ptime or so).
I killed roughly 350 young alligators, and then quested over 200 steaks, 100 of them to the alternate quest mob in Faang. The small steaks load about 2/3 of the time per kill I would say, which is a good amount. I really don't see anything wrong with rewarding quest xp items. It takes a damn long time to farm this stuff. I'm only just now able to kill the large alligators consistently, but I have to use a haste potion to do so. I don't think even at level 50 that I will be able to solo the boa constrictors or pythons, and those are the ones that give the really nice exp tokens for lvling from 41-50.

I would recommend leaving the steaks not hidden. High level rogues can stab a young alligator and loot it faster than it takes to steal from them.

The main reason it seems so extreme is that Ross is able to kill things there so quickly. And again, that's only because he has a tremendously concentrated rogue gear set that can clear that entire pop (which includes 2 lvl 55ish mobs that hit damn hard, 2 lvl 54ish mobs that hit slightly less rough, 3 or so lvl 52 alligators, 6 or so large alligators, and 12 or more small alligators).

All in all, I think it's balanced. If people want to spend a week farming steaks so they can plvl a caster alt, I'm all for it. Anything that cuts down on the damn f'ed up caster XP tables is helpful.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:00 pm

Plz put in goodie area of equivalent value ASAP ty :)
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:41 pm

Annam has done some good work revamping Faang and Ghore. Maybe reworking some stuff in WD would be a good next step, adding some small farmable exp tokens zonelets would be cool.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:18 pm

Kindi wrote:Plz put in goodie area of equivalent value ASAP ty :)

Any player can write a zone and get it reviewed and added in. Even Cofen has one.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:24 pm

It's not my fault you're a complete douchebag, floss. You clearly know what you did in that token transfer was NOT how the game was intended. I haven't done that crap once. You manipulate and cheat, yet when I post...and get things CHANGED, when I gave a damn about this game, you whine about me.

I save people's lives for a living. What do you do, son? Oh, you deck yourself out by twinking on a mud. Woo! You go girl!

EMT-P BSN NP
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:41 pm

Shevarash wrote:Your argument doesn't make sense. Please provide context.

Shev, in general, one of the main problems with this mud is the xp phase. It's mindless. It's NOT fun. For anybody without an alt, getting beyond mid-20's sucks. There are games out there that are just too up to date. Nobody wants to spend hours and hours and weeks ..etc trying to buff up for a zonable character. Surely there are more people than just me that work at a hospital or other type job that requires 60+ hrs a week...

Without addressing specific lacking episodic events that were promised, such as myconids, the lack of reward for time -overall- is a big deterrent for playing anymore.
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:54 pm

DAMN--- I cant stop laughing... if you could play ANY class worth a damn thil i might take your rant to heart. As it is your a crapy player that whines bout piddly shit that no one but you had problems with. You dont get zone invites cuz no one wants to deal with you in a zone cept Lil who takes anyone zoning. (hats of to you lil you have 1000x more patience then I do btw)

I did nothing with exp tokens that wasnt being done, i just do it at excelled rate because i can. I have talked with Annam, Callurduran, and Oghma about suggestions to make this not so farmable and yet still good exp for evils.

When Lil pwb's all of AV and then plvls a guildie in there shes thanked and told how good she is. When i farm tokens and exp guildies with tokens im a twink... nice =)
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:58 pm

Lol @ profession name drop. Hows the weather up there on your pedestal?
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:05 pm

@botef - It's great! And well earned.

@floss - you still are a nobody outside of the mud, cutie You know nothing of how I play. You only don't like it when I bring up what cheese crap you rinse/repeat and think you're a god. BTW, the mud is a pseudolife. Wake up. You have to log off and go back to mcdonald's someday...
mynazzaraxxsyn
Sojourner

Postby mynazzaraxxsyn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:11 pm

One thing no one is taking into account here, is skills. Ever been a level 50 mage with 21 in meditate? Quick chant? Spellcast whatever? Try it sometime.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm

That falls into -user friendly-, which modern games mostly are. Quick leveling. Generally, skills attached to level, rather than both level and skill xp/practice. But in my advocation of this type system, the excremental orifice types like floss get personal, albeit initially, rather than address the logic.

All gaining levels does here is raise the ceiling of a player; rather than having the skills, which clearly make the player, the current system has always been doomed. XP'g is like buying a house. Skills practice is filling it. The system is certainly not friendly. It's not 1990. There's no reason to make us jump through hoops for hours for both xp and skills practice.
dem
Sojourner

Postby dem » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:38 pm

How some of you people still play a game that you clearly aren't satisfied with is beyond me. There are many games out there and I'm sure you can find something that fits you all better. Do I like I did. Switch to a game that you find more fun. Mines Toril but it might change someday....
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:33 am

I think the main point to keep in mind is that it does improve the game to have mobs that have exp tokens. I have gotten up to 45th with my rogue in just another 8-10 hours or so of ptime.

If anything, the only difficulty with exping there is competing w/ other people for the limited supply of alligators to kill.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:03 pm

Shevarash,

Why don't you just code it so instead of getting crappy consumable off random mobs, you get exp tokens.

Holy shit best idea of the year.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:02 pm

Dalar wrote:Shevarash,

Why don't you just code it so instead of getting crappy consumable off random mobs, you get exp tokens.

Holy shit best idea of the year.

do this @once!
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:21 pm

Woo, more Dalar deliciousness! And Shev, the random pots loading on mobs was nice, but they're quite few and far in between. Especially useless: Minor globe pots!
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Others have probably posted/mentioned this somewhere.

The bright and dull red ansi on the raw in raw alligator steaks blend in to all dulls when they are mixed in inventory, and in bags/containers sometimes (doesn't seem to happen all the time tho - wierd).
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:06 pm

Code issue, you can fix it by putting an item inbetween them then dumping the rest.
example:
Take out all of the steaks.
Find one dull and one bright steak
put steak hole
put candle hole
put steak hole

Should look like this:
a raw alligator steak (dull)
a candle
a raw alligator steak (bright)

Then just dump all the steaks you have in the hole. After that, it autosorts. Works with SM coins as well, just need to memorize which item is where. I do it by:

a lucky coin
a candle
a lucky coin
a magical candle

the coins between the candles is the 2x heal one. Just have to remember to reorder your bags.
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:39 pm

Your tweaks to this zonelet really need to be fixed. The aggro dragonkin roc is being assisted by guards right now. That makes this zone really stupid. Guards shouldn't be assisting animals.

Also, things automatically reload for some reason. I killed the roc just now, and it reloaded less than 10 seconds later. This is quite silly and certainly frustrating to people solo'ing.

Finally, the roc was added, why the hell not give it an exp token as well? The troll hunter could be tweaked a bit so that he wants something that % loads on the roc for an exp reward.

I am including a bit of log below showing why the roc is out of balance for that zone:

First: Showing how stupidly quick the roc reloads after being killed:

On the Alligator Marsh
Exits: -N -E -S -W
A small roc circles overhead, eyeing you as it's next catch!
A young alligator opens his jaws in defense.
A large alligator chews on a recent catch.
An old alligator watches you closely.

< 185h/445H 105v/118V >
< P: std > A small roc makes a strange sound but is suddenly very silent, as you place an enchanted khanjari dagger in its
back.
a small roc is dead! R.I.P.
You receive your share of experience.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of a small roc.

< 185h/445H 105v/118V >
< P: std >
A young alligator misses you with his bite.

< 185h/445H 105v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: nasty wounds E: young EC: few wounds EP: std P: std >
Physical power emanating from the tip of your an enchanted khanjari dagger
races towards you within a narrow strip of bright white light. A significant sounding
BOOM reverberates between your ears as the light settles into your skin.
Your awesome pierce slightly wounds a young alligator.
Your massive pierce badly wounds a young alligator.

< 335h/592H 108v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: few wounds E: young EC: few wounds EP: std P: std >
The snow's coming down pretty fast now.

< 335h/592H 109v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: few wounds E: young EC: few wounds EP: std P: std >
Your awesome pierce badly wounds a young alligator.
You miss a young alligator with your pierce.
Your awesome pierce badly wounds a young alligator.

< 335h/592H 109v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: few wounds E: young EC: nasty wounds EP: std P: std >
A small roc flies in.

< 336h/592H 110v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: few wounds E: young EC: nasty wounds EP: std P: std >
A small roc spreads its wings and ROARS, filling your heart with terror!

So in essence, you kill it and 2 rounds later it reloads? Really really retarded.

Finally, an argument for how unbalanced making it dragonkin is:

< 301h/445H 118v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: few wounds E: young EC: awful EP: std P: std >
You dodge a small roc's vicious attack.
A small roc misses you with its claw.
A small roc slashes you brutally with a fearsome claw!
OUCH! That really did HURT!
You bleed profusely from the vicious wound!
You critically wound a young alligator with a massive pierce!
You enshroud a young alligator in a mist of blood with your awesome pierce!
You miss a young alligator with your pierce.

< 210h/445H 118v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: nasty wounds E: young EC: awful EP: std P: std >
l
A young alligator is nearly slain by the force of your mighty pierce!
You pierce a young alligator's heart, you heartbreaker you.
a young alligator is dead! R.I.P.
You receive your share of experience.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of a young alligator.

< 212h/445H 118v/118V > < P: std >

< 213h/445H 118v/118V >
< T: Sseze TC: nasty wounds E: roc EC: excellent EP: std P: std > ess

You have learned something new about escape!
A Trail South of the Alligator Marsh
Exits: -N -E -W
You escape southward!

< 213h/445H 115v/118V >
Your wounds continue to bleed out of control!

< 174h/445H 116v/118V >
< P: std > band me
You can't seem to stop the bleeding!

< 176h/445H 118v/118V >

< 139h/445H 118v/118V >
< P: std > You can't seem to stop the bleeding!

< 140h/445H 118v/118V >
The snow's coming down pretty fast now.
You can't seem to stop the bleeding!

< 143h/445H 118v/118V >
Autosaving...

< 143h/445H 118v/118V >

< 103h/445H 118v/118V >
< P: std > You can't seem to stop the bleeding!

< 106h/445H 118v/118V >
< P: std > sc
band me

< 68h/445H 118v/118V >

< 69h/445H 118v/118V >
< P: std > Your bleeding seems to be under control for the time being.

So again, this is a level 30ish mob causing wounds that takes 5 bandage attempts to stop?
Granted this is a newer char w/ only a 45 bandage skill. I just think the roc might need some balancing is all. Thanks for all the hard work Annam!
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:49 pm

Oh, quick P.S. on that stupid roc.

Was just trying to kill it w/ a lvl 49 drow tank, hilarity ensued:

< 215h/615H 77v/118V >
< T: Kallax TC: few wounds E: roc EC: few wounds EP: std P: std >
Your massive pierce barely wounds a small roc.
Your massive pierce barely wounds a small roc.
Kallax barely wounds a small roc with his strong slash.
Kallax blocks a small roc's attack with his shield!
Kallax is stunned!
Kallax slumps to the ground.
A small roc hits Kallax in the throat, he chokes, gasps, and dies.
Kallax is dead! R.I.P.
Kallax slumps to the ground.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of Kallax.
Kallax has left the group.
You disband the group.
Kallax has quit the game, consent lost.

Kallax tells you 'that has got to be a proc, no?'

Kallax tells you 'I went from about 400 hps to dead in a hit'

Full disclosure: Kallax was in ress effect when he was killed. He was still at -100, but only at the agi bonus of -5. Plus drow are lame anyway.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”