Righteous Might / Divine Power

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Righteous Might / Divine Power

Postby Thilindel » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:05 am

Would it be too much to make their spell 'cool down' less lengthy? I didn't see anybody cast it at all since I been back, zoning or not. Fiddling around, with 44/51, it took over 4 minutes to melee a standard level 42 mob in SM. Both spell's duration wears off before you can whack the lesser elves in DS.

Wondered if anybody else found either of these spells especially useful given the limited cool downs.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: Righteous Might / Divine Power

Postby Thilindel » Wed Dec 23, 2009 3:07 am

*bump* This thread definitely has merit. In game, the four clerics I did ask that were online said they don't even bother with it, due to the cooldown on it. Others could chime in here if I'm wrong. But such a cool down per spell is ungodly bad.
Myrranth
Sojourner

Postby Myrranth » Mon Jan 04, 2010 10:47 am

I have to agree with you here.
I never use either simply because of their ridiculous cool down. It's a pita to keep memming and dropping the spell each time I want to use it. There are too many other useful spells on those circles to have 1 of each memmed at all times.

Clerics are such a brutal class as it is, is it really necessary for those spells to even have a cool down?
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:51 am

i keep them memmed all the time but i never cast them seems like too much hassle to know when they're avialable and i always forget them when they might come in handy and they're not hp healing like vit or kanjhari
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:54 pm

I'm open to adjusting the cool down - any suggestions?

And keep in mind that you can type "recharge" to see the status of all your cool down timers.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:06 pm

My thought is that if you're going to keep an epic cooldown period (12 minutes on R.Might I believe) you might as well increase the spell duration a LOT. Double it at least.

This goes double for Divine Power. It's a decent spell for low lvl exping, as you get the occasional extra hit on attacking. That it can't even last long enough to finish one fight
though is very aggravating.

If you don't want to make the spells last longer, I would just half the cooldown times at least.
Righteous Might should really only take 4-5 minutes at most to recharge. Divine Power could be 1 minute or so.

Thanks Shev!
Myrranth
Sojourner

Postby Myrranth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:31 am

I don't really understand the reasoning behind it having a cooldown in the first place. I would compare it to something like elemental embodiment, what would be the justification of that not having a cooldown vs. righteous might. The only reason anyone would use righteous might would be as a measure of longer survival in a zone. It currently would last MAYBE 1 run during a large fight.

Why not just allow a cleric to cast it same as a vit but only targetted on themselves. It's not like that would imbalance the class in any way.

I've played a cleric a long long time and they suck, badly. Changing righteous might to be useful for them is a very small improvement considering all the other deficiencies.
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:13 am

Shevarash wrote:And keep in mind that you can type "recharge" to see the status of all your cool down timers.

if something is completely undocumented in any form does it actuallye xist as functionality?
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:36 am

Kindi wrote:
Shevarash wrote:And keep in mind that you can type "recharge" to see the status of all your cool down timers.

if something is completely undocumented in any form does it actuallye xist as functionality?

2/01/09 [Shevarash]
- New command: recharge. This displays the recharge status of all current
ability delays.

See perfectly documented :)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:39 pm

Recharge is useless. Why does there have to be a cool-off for these two spells? Somehow I think of a single shot gun that can be only reloaded once per drug raid. Type 'recharge' all day and it's not going to do a damned thing.

The two spells definitely help the fun factor in cleric players who would like to either try hybrid melee or some other aspect. The cool-down is a kick in the nuts to the great idea of the spells.
Dareful
Sojourner

Postby Dareful » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:30 pm

Hmmm.... seems Righteous Might is somewhat broken due to the new 'size' code. Help file indicates the caster will grow to 'double their original size'... In my case, my original size is "Medium".... and "Medium" x 2 = ...Medium?!
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:24 am

I played my cleric for 2 hours the other day without it ever occuring to me to cast
Righteous Might or Divine Power.

I can see how it might slip through the cracks when Shev changed the size code.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:35 am

Im still disappointed earth embo doesnt get any love on the size code either
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:51 am

Any word on this Shev? I really don't see a need for a cooldown period on either of these spells. Clerics have 2nd best hitroll in D&D in the first place.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:59 pm

The cool-down is in place because the intention is for these spells to be used tactically, not just an "always on" buff. In other words, I want you to use it when you need it the most. That said, I'm totally open to adjusting the cool-down to make it a little more palatable. I will take a look at that - and the size issue - in the near future.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:28 pm

While it may have been your intent for it to be tactically useful, the spell is seemingly displaced. In a zone, clerics aren't intended to be melee. So it's nice that the spell does emphasize that missing part of cleric's ability. That's why I would like to see the cooldown much less time. Zoneleader asks you why you are trying to be offensive, again since that's the innate nature of D&D cleric - 2nd only to fighter (meaning hitroll), because that's the efhr/ranger's job.

Would like it to either last longer or more frequent please
Dareful
Sojourner

Postby Dareful » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:17 pm

You know... if the "size adjusting" part was fixed so it really DID "double your size", that would make it more "tactically useful" and perhaps worthy of the cool-down..?

Just a thought.. =)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:33 pm

It's not very useful at all now. Short duration. Solo, with 64 damroll, mobs still don't die before stupid spell wears off. Both 4th/9th questy spells
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:59 pm

I like divine power, it is sorta useful when soloing exp at mid levels
you can fit it in the rotation of mobs you kill. a few not so tough
then when divine power recharges a tougher mob.

However if aiding a cleric to level solo is the aim here,
I would make blind land more often and last longer.
Even with curse blind fails a bit much imho.

Thanks for your time and effort
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:58 am

A certain god had promised several years ago that clerical blind would be upped. Haste was a similar type spell in that the duration was upped. Definitely helped. Silence/Icetongue/Blind all suck for their incredibly short durations at this point. I'm pretty sure it was Eilistraee who was looking into getting their duration upped...til he *ahem* resigned. I miss Eilistraee. Got a lot done!
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:24 am

Thilindel wrote:A certain god had promised several years ago that clerical blind would be upped. Haste was a similar type spell in that the duration was upped. Definitely helped. Silence/Icetongue/Blind all suck for their incredibly short durations at this point.

I agree with Thil about both quest spells, especially the one in the zone. It lasts too little. But I think cleric silence duration is fine as is, and if you up cleric blind time you'd be twinking it a little too much. Icetongue is fine as well, the elementalist class rocks as is.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:08 pm

The cooldown on both spells is still too long (especially righteous might). In a zone, only the hp bonus matters (very rarely the size component can). Unless someone wants to try and make the argument that cleric soloing or damage is too powerful, then its pretty safe to say that the damage/attack parts of these spells is largely useless. Reduce righteous might cooldown to 10 minutes and divine power to 6 (so you can't use DP on cooldown and still stack them).

This isn't the place for it probably, but the long cooldown on sandstorm in conjunction with spell slot mechanics is incredibly clunky. If sandstorm was an innate or in a low circle (still doing the same damage) it would be much better since you don't need to worry about swapping infernos in/out every 12 minutes. Maybe removing all cooldown spells from the traditional spell list is the way to go because they really don't jive.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”