obama you f*king liar

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

obama you f*king liar

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:47 pm

This whole thing was corrupt, but I'm especially incensed by our government's role in it. Obama's administration's role in it.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/wo ... 5896741041

THE US government secretly advised Scottish ministers it would be "far preferable" to free the Lockerbie bomber than jail him in Libya.
Correspondence obtained by The Sunday Times reveals the Obama administration considered compassionate release more palatable than locking up Abdel Baset al-Megrahi in a Libyan prison.

The document, acquired by a well-placed US source, threatens to undermine US President Barack Obama's claim last week that all Americans were "surprised, disappointed and angry" to learn of Megrahi's release.

The US has tried to keep the letter secret, refusing to give permission to the Scottish authorities to publish it on the grounds it would prevent future "frank and open communications" with other governments.

(the US, you mean the obama administration and his secretary of state whom it would embarass)
Corth
Sojourner

Re: obama you f*king liar

Postby Corth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Say one thing for public consumption and something else when having "frank and open communications" with other elites.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:10 pm

What? I thought you conservatives were all about maintaining decades old traditions and laws despite their lack of actual usefulness? Obama was just trying to force them to keep the guy in a Scottish jail as per the agreement. Sounds like they called his bluff, more than anything.

What I found really interesting, in light of our recent debates, is who called so much attention to this issue in the first place! It was four Democrats: "New Jersey's Frank Lautenberg and Robert Menendez and New York's Kirsten Gillibrand and Charles Schumer" - http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN2025398320100720

I somehow fail to believe this would have happened in the Conservative ranks, since Republicans aren't allowed to think for themselves. The closest Republicans came was when a guy who'd been tortured said it wasn't effective, and just THAT was enough to paint him as a Maverick!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Where was all this outrage when the government was lying to you about things that mattered? :)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:52 pm

They were complaining about other things that weren't important, duh.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:56 pm

Basically I'm responding to the outrage all the liberals expressed during the Bush years.

To be honest, shouldn't you be mad about being lied to by a Democrat the same you were being lied to by a Republican?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:28 am

"shall be closed as soon as practicable, and no later than 1 year from the date of this order"

- The great defender of the USA PATRIOT act.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:11 pm

kiryan wrote:Basically I'm responding to the outrage all the liberals expressed during the Bush years.

To be honest, shouldn't you be mad about being lied to by a Democrat the same you were being lied to by a Republican?

When you catch Obama in a <i>real</i> lie we'll be outraged. Shit, this isn't even on the level of Clinton's lie... which <i>also</i> wasn't as big a deal as Republicans wanted it to be. Frankly, as I said before, it sounds more like Britain called Obama's bluff than like he actually lied to the American people. He said he was sorry this happened, and you have no proof whatsoever that this is a lie. You have a hyperbolic statement most likely meant to get his point across to the British government, and they took it the wrong way.

Even the article you linked to says Obama wanted him kept in a <i>Scottish</i> jail per the agreement we have with Britain.

Frankly, Teflor's picking out actual "lies" that are annoying to us. His problem is that Obama still has time to do things, and I can hardly consider it a lie if a project is turned in late. I am a programmer after all!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:44 pm

It's interesting that the outrage against Bush's policies aren't leveled against the new tyrant when he picks them up as his own.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:09 pm

kiryan wrote:Basically I'm responding to the outrage all the liberals expressed during the Bush years.

Bush lied to me about an imminent threat to my personal safety in order to launch a war under false pretenses in a country we had no business invading. He used this prefabricated threat to unilaterally invade a soverign nation, against whom Congress had not declared war. His political party then leveraged the imaginary threat and the very real war to pass legislation making it legal for the federal government to invade my privacy and violate my 4th amendment rights to due process. The government then worked closely with private corporations to establish centers to monitor and record the internet communications of American citizens without notice or reasonable suspicion of guilt.

Your outrage is manufactured. In five days, let alone five years, you won't remember this guy's name or what he did. You don't actually care about this. It doesn't affect you. You're simply looking for something to hold up and shout about on principle.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Ragorn wrote:Bush lied to me about an imminent threat to my personal safety

Prove it.

Ragorn wrote:The government then worked closely with private corporations to establish centers to monitor and record the internet communications of American citizens without notice or reasonable suspicion of guilt.

Now Championed by the Obama Administration

Ragorn wrote:Your outrage is manufactured. In five days, let alone five years, you won't remember this guy's name or what he did. You don't actually care about this. It doesn't affect you. You're simply looking for something to hold up and shout about on principle.

I just wanted to point out that your outrage is manufactured as well. No politician messes with the few things that the wide and vast majority of Americans actually care about.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”