Nostalgia: Cheats you abused the hell out of

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Dalar
Sojourner

Nostalgia: Cheats you abused the hell out of

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:09 am

Fohguild.org had a thread about all the Everquest cheats. Great thread. Let's start up our own.

I got alphabet dragon to pretty hurt by drowning. Kia didn't like that and banned me for a weekend.
Movealone + camouflauge = rogue
Lloth was rolling backups from A-D, E-M etc. so I tossed all my gear onto a different char and duped my gear. Deleted :(

I didn't know of any crash bugs or anything really game breaking :(
grundar
Sojourner

Re: Nostalgia: Cheats you abused the hell out of

Postby grundar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:13 am

innate darkness + garrote = dead maskul & tons of other mobs
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:02 pm

1. Back when DSR only grouped with DSR members, I had to be creative on how to kill things. This was back when the majority of the MUD only did things straight up with tanks.

So I really wanted to finish all of the GN quests, some of which required Kralgar. I figured out that you could a non-aggro barbarian shaman cast darkness, then area in the room then flee out. This was just so we wouldn't get bashed or initially hit. And that's why you can't area in darkness anymore.

2. When TTF came out, the first gate fight was horrific. This was mainly because we didn't know about grey elf warriors and nobody gave a shit about AC. I kept telling group leader we're gonna die we're gonna die, let me get a tank. So I summoned my spirit stallion, got a blur, and sent it in and I sat out of the room so mobs wouldn't switch target. The spirit stallion tanked the room flawlessly until blur dropped, then it died in a round or two. The next day or two blur was restricted from being cast on elementals and spirits.

3. In Scorn there is a statue you can use to get a lvl 42 cleric that has 4200 hp. I think it was fixed eventually, but yea I had 10 once in MD during a spank. 10 of them got owned by a lvl 55 fearsome barbazu :(
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:03 pm

4. Back in the day if you tugged or pulled a mob, it would return all of its keywords. I used it to figure out the keyword on kovte lemure's other keywords, which was a_lemure or something like that. I didn't really care about bugs back then being fixed, so I usually told people in gsay. Eventually it got fixed.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:05 pm

5. Back when Marthammor released Ashengorrock, I was one of the first to bust into the zone and get to the treasury. Since Marthammor or Twyl was new at zones, he left a very very bad mistake. The vault was coded to load gear every pop, but some of it was rare. So what I did was I would have the keys, then hide the keys somewhere. Every couple of hours I would go in, take all the loot, and leave. Eventually I had like 8 of each item until he fixed it :P
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:09 pm

6. One-way follower code. Use a phantom steed and lure a group in. Recline it so the leader walks over, leave the room, only leader comes out. Kill for loot, repeat.
7. The 3-man Kotschtchie a couple of months after wipe. Folur's crew and Dornax's crew were both eyeing it. Folur had already wiped to it and Dornax's crew was sitting at tree ready to go in. Corth, Ebgar, and I survived and we said fuck this we aren't giving up yet. Folur was slowly getting back up. Corth was getting corpses and Ebgar was probably half-asleep. I had my wimpy on max and realized that Kotschtchie only attacked, not his followers. I figured this out and that's when I came up with the whole "get hit to flee, jump back in and cast so I wouldn't take melee damage". It took us about 1 hour to kill him because Corth or i died.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:54 pm

Abused the hell out of archery and one-way rooms. Used to be able to lure a tracking mob into a one-way room, recline past a tamed ranger pet, and use archery to destroy the tracker without it being able to retaliate. Only worked on noncasters.

The cast time for minor paralysis was shorter than the lag a mob would face after dimming to you. So I'd aggro caster mobs, let them dim to me, and minor para them. If the para missed, flee and repeat. If the para hit, I'd cast sleep until it landed. Sleep had something like a two-hour duration, so given enough time, I could stack all the casters in a zone into one room and explore unmolested. I used to do with with flames under Moonshaes.

Between those two tricks, I could safely explore most mid-level zones with Ragorn. Clerics were something of a problem because the lag on summon was much shorter than dim, but I eventually had good enough gear that I could just strap a shield on and bash while Windsong procced them to death.

Major Paralysis used to guarantee max-damage archery shots. Valeos and I used to gate up to demi, and he'd dscales himself and land Major Paras. While the mob was para'd, I'd destroy it with arrows. Missile Shield wasn't in the game yet.

Gained 5 levels in 2 hours with archery damage exp in Waterdeep one day. I was always pretty honest about that one, and damage exp got nerfed to shit about two days later.

Escaped a wipe where 10 corpses got locked inside crypts with the key by abusing a crashbug with the rock trap near the old fly helmet.

For about two weeks after S3, every crash we'd grab the scroll of holy word from Leuthilspar and use it to annihilate a room full of evil duergar. The MUD crashed so often at that point that the elves were level 12 before people on the mainland were level 7.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:55 pm

Back when WD was bustling with activity, I tagged golden flames knight as Danila and lured it to east gates of WD. Back then she was aggro good. I think the pcorpse count between east gate and TP was at 40+.

I'm ashamed....a little.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:58 pm

After doing the new Tia, Areh won the first serpent circlet. I tried it out and tried arching with it. It no longer procs with archery :(
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:03 pm

I don't have as good a memory as Dartan for these types of things. I was involved in a lot of 'twinking' early on in the wipe because I was one of the higher level illusionists and I was grouping with some really smart guys - Dartan first and foremost among them. It seemed like every week we would figure out a way to take advantage of the new illusionist spells in ways not anticipated by the gods. That's how nightmare got it's lag, camoflauge stopped working with sneak, tranquility got nerfed, etc etc etc. It was almost always Dartan who would come up with the idea, and I would be his guinea pig. More often than not his ideas worked. When it came to understanding the mechanics of the game and figuring out ways to take advantage of them, nobody ever came close to Dartan.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:37 pm

Thanks Corth ;)

8. Tranquility tactic. When res quest was added to game, the 4x efreeti guard fight was rough because DSR tanks were decked out in damage gear instead of AC/HP. So I came up with a tactic to use single targets only and spam sunray, then tranquility so the tanks/mobs would disengage. It was much faster than just blinding then having everyone flee out, but required less work. A day or two later tranquility was nerfed to shit.

9. Horse kicking. Anyone ever know why Dornax and Corth hated me so much at the beginning of wipe? I basically killed Esroh for the glowing green cap before those two could by using 2 horses to spam kicks on him.

And Ragorn, I think Folur's group and I were still ahead of the elves even at that point :P Even with the surprise entry of Neverwinter, I was still able to run to WD and SS to get gear and exp very fast :) Also, I think Yayaril and I got good xp using throwing weapons, that's why.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:50 pm

8. I believe that tranquility to fight targets solo is a valid tactic and am still unhappy with it being nerfed. I'm pro anything that involves more tactics then spamming inferno. I remember doing it with ebony longsword too but there isn't much point with area damage now.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:54 pm

I agree Dug. The tranquility tactic involved a lot of teamwork by everyone in the group. It wasn't a twink so much as a smart tactic that perhaps might unbalance certain fights in the game. Also at the time (can't speak for now), the illus class had a lot going for it, so being at the center of one of the most important tactics might have made the class too important relative to others.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:57 pm

I think Kia was just being an ass when he did it.

Illusionists should get it again. Mainly because in combat they don't provide much. Nightmare doesn't stun too often, tendrils is a random hit. Everytime I zone as my illusionist (which was quite often) all I did was displace support.
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:07 am

I used to mud constantly at school because the teachers had no idea what telnet was and assumed lots of typing meant work getting done. The only people who were ever wise were the IT people who would bitch about using up too much bandwidth. Tibek and another friend of mine used to roll chars and wait for eq handouts like dwarven scalemail and then sell it ay a shop for 10 p, delete and repeat.

You used to be able to escape the cage as long as you didn't void there and waited out a crash.

Quaffing harm potion with a level 1 char would kill your char, crash the mud, but leave the potion in your inventory.

Gget

Unlimited ancient zombies (great for purple worm)

Lots of fun tricks with phantom steeds.

That one illusionist spell.

I still have a 3 ring notebook with all sorts of maps and notes from over the years, along with old print outs of todraels guides and a few logs I printed out long ago.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:34 pm

Dugmaren wrote:8. I believe that tranquility to fight targets solo is a valid tactic and am still unhappy with it being nerfed. I'm pro anything that involves more tactics then spamming inferno. I remember doing it with ebony longsword too but there isn't much point with area damage now.

Maybe restore it to its glory. That's why I really finally got bored here, because how half-assed gods would punish Lilithelle, and Dartan, etc..these people get punished for their ingenuity. The game is otherwise nearly forcing players to cookie-cutter tactics. Attack/flee should be as 'illegal' as the tactics that Dalar mentioned. But there's *nothing* wrong with what they were doing. Lawyers win on tactics. Doctors learn, well especially surgeons, by doing things out of the box. This place doesn't seem to reward, near so much as punish free thinkers.

I used to love logging in, but when some idiot god was punishing Lili for her Scorps tactic, it really showed how non-player friendly it was.
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:44 am

Thilindel wrote:I used to love logging in, but when some idiot god was punishing Lili for her Scorps tactic, it really showed how non-player friendly it was.

so basically you stopped logging in because someone punished someone else for something that you weren't doing?
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:50 pm

I really enjoyed our faerie runs with a mob of ghasts all wielding tridents of the undead. I had a half dozen tridents in my bag and when those suckers started proccing unholy word repeatedly, it was amazing.

I think I was the first one to start equipping my ghast. I had a full set of tank gear that gave it a ton of hitpoints and massive armor class. It was amazing how well that thing tanked when equipped like a level 50 warrior. You could even equip it with stuff that was !evil, because mobs just didn't follow the same rules. I never did get a holy avenger to give to my ghast :(

In Myth Drannor, there was a room with a bunch of nasty undead baddies with a pretty good sword hidden on the floor. As Yayaril, I collected those bugbear figurines and used sneak/hide to get to that room. From the next room over, I'd summon a bugbear, give it a shield, send it in. It would last just long enough for me to move in, search out the sword, grab it and leave. After doing that several times, one of the gods suggested I stop or else they might have to change it.

I loved minor paralyzing mobs with the leaves from the cook quest and then stripping off all their equipment using steal. I could steal all the mid level gear from Baldur's Gate before anyone could get a group together to kill the mobs in the naval watch tower. Sadly, this only worked on enemies level 50 or lower.

Sleep only worked on enemies level 50 or lower, as well. Your pet wraiths can cast it if you're a necromancer. If there's a big group of enemies level 50 or lower that weren't aggro, you could pick them apart by having your wraiths dimension door into the room with them, then command them to cast sleep on the enemies and then leaving the room yourself. If the wraiths were successful, you could repeat the process. If they failed, quite often they'd get beaten to unconscious. You just go back in and bandage them back up and heal them with heal undead and start again, since the enemies didn't retain aggro to pets for some reason.

If you cast blink on someone who is garroting a mob, it causes the game to crash.

Back when throwing was around for rogues; you could between rounds of shots, escape out of the room, come back in and start throwing again to get in another volley. You could do this every other round, so that increased your damage by about %50. Rogues can still do this with circle/backstab when soloing to get in some extra damage.

With the minor paralysis leaves, you could backstab an enemy, doing a ton of damage and they'd get paralyzed. Then you just reapply and do it again. With a maxed out poison skill, the enemies had a really hard time resisting this tactic. Until people realized that the minor paralysis leaves were awesome, I had managed to storehouse well over 100 of them in my bag.

Some of our first zone runs involved me minor paralyzing the extra enemies and the zone group just killing the main enemy.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:40 pm

grundar wrote:
Thilindel wrote:I used to love logging in, but when some idiot god was punishing Lili for her Scorps tactic, it really showed how non-player friendly it was.

so basically you stopped logging in because someone punished someone else for something that you weren't doing?

I was WITH her when it happened. I thought that would be obvious, but I guess not.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:46 pm

Thilindel wrote:
grundar wrote:

I was WITH her when it happened. I thought that would be obvious, but I guess not.

Not sure why your presence is supposed to make any difference to his point?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Hah, for some reason I assumed he meant that he was dating her at the time. I guess his presence at scorps went over my head completely both times!
Malia
Sojourner

Postby Malia » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:36 pm

When Vrock arrows first came out... i found a fun bug.

Remember the elven archers used to fire nonstop never run out of arrows. I took my chanter and charmed an elven archer, changed its 3 steel arrows to 3 vrock arrows, then ordered it to fire. When you fire at someting after initial hit you just miss over and over. It never ran out of arrows and picked up 200 vrock arrows.

Since i didnt have a ranger at the time i gave em to Erarim. Couple days later i guess Eilistraee said he couldnt have gotten that many legit since quest had only been in a week and you can only quest 3 per boot, and he took the quiver.

Was still alot of fun.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:25 pm

Oh hey, let's talk about the backpack bug. When the functionality to put coins into bags was first introduced, there was some bug that increased the bag's weightless capacity to near-infinite. The size of the bag remained the same, so you could only put a finite number of items in each bag, but all bags were essentially 0 weight for a while.

There was also the trade bug. So, Miax thought it would be a good idea to introduce trade into the game. Basically, you bought a cart of trade goods in Waterdeep and strapped yourself to it. Then you walked to Mithril Hall, very.. very.. very slowly. Each step was like 11 moves, and you had the potential to be attacked by bandit mobs along the way, the strength of whom depended on the load you were carrying. If you were carrying gems or something, the mobs were probably unsoloable, especially since this was Sojourn 2 where Ragorn ended the wipe with 29/32 hit/dam and 430 hit points. So you'd trudge a couple steps, sit down to rest, and if you went afk, you probably got killed by bandits. Well, someone figured out almost immediately that you could log out in Waterdeep, run to Mithril Hall, buy a cart, and then idle until crash. When you came back, you'd return from crashsave in your last rented location (Waterdeep) in the same state you were in when the game crashed (with a cart of diamonds strapped to your back). You just went six steps from the inn to the trade center, sold your gems, and went about your day. We also figured out that the prices rose and fell according to demand, so you could just sit in one town and play the trade center like a stock market.

Mystra didn't like any of that.

She spent a month meticulously pouring over the logs of everyone who engaged in trade for the entire time it was in the game. She judged every single run and how long it took, and she tallied up the plat earned by every player on every run she deemed "illegitimate." And then she went player to player around the MUD, demanding that we pay her back all the money we earned from trade according to her tally.

I only had one illegitimate run, when I was actually walking back to WD during a crash. So I owed something like 1,500 plat

The trade bug and the bag bug happened at the same time. So I spent a week buying everyone's copper, and eventually gave Mystra a backpack containing over one million copper coins.

She told me to fuck off and removed the plat from my bank account by force.

Sojourn 2 wiped not long after that.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:26 pm

Rofl for paying a mud debt in pennies. :)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:37 am

Sarvis wrote:
Thilindel wrote:
grundar wrote:

Since nobody seems to have common sense, I was saying I was with her. Therefore, I was DOING what she was doing. And to conclude that I stopped logging in because something someone else was punished for...er, what kind of stupid conclusion is that?
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:57 am

Ok I've got it! I think..

You stopped logging in because someone punished someone else for something you WERE doing?!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:41 am

Thilindel wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Thilindel wrote:
grundar wrote:

Since nobody seems to have common sense, I was saying I was with her. Therefore, I was DOING what she was doing. And to conclude that I stopped logging in because something someone else was punished for...er, what kind of stupid conclusion is that?

Considering you didn't state you were with her until AFTER someone drew that conclusion, I'd say it was a pretty valid one.
Lurgo
Sojourner

Postby Lurgo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:50 am

Did they ever fix the "instant Word" item you could collect over and over again? It had no cast time, worked in !tele zones and I used it explore most zones. You could combine it with a teleport potion to get past locked doors safely. Was also great way to leave Tia without finishing the zone.

Not a big cheat but back when they added mounts for palis/anti-palis, you could get your spirit pet to mount a horse. It would tank like a mounted pali, you could also order it to charge the mob heh.

Even less of a big deal, but if you played evil, it would be hard to get to the northern zones after boots before goodies. But you knew the directions, you could spam through Undermountain and through waterdeep for a shortcut.

Short-lived, but when they forgot to make the Balor demon's sword and whip disintegrate on its death, Blung picked them up and we did Efreeti in a few minutes. The sword kept procc'ing behead and insta-killed most of the mobs. They quickly rebooted the mud.
Last edited by Lurgo on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Lurgo
Sojourner

Postby Lurgo » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:54 am

This was less of a cheat and more of a bastard thing to do, but early Sojourn, somebody used to tag the Verbeeg giant, invis themselves, and drag the giant, who was aggro good, around and all these low levels would die. Then this person would go to the TP and offer to invis the low level players so they could CR. Except he would have casted "detect invis" on the giant already.
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:04 pm

Omg Balor sword/whip! I did that too hahaha, Mystra was PISSED :)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:47 pm

2h gith sword procs in Waterdeep, does that count? :)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Anything you could do to reek havoc on the game counts. Like Ssissu sending in dragons into WD with that one book.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:37 pm

What was that mob in Ice Crag that people used to let out and track to the spine?
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:40 pm

I think you're thinking of the werewolves back when they would relocate to players :)
Lurgo
Sojourner

Postby Lurgo » Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:00 am

Hide cloak before it was nerfed and Volos were a great combo. Could CR entire groups with ogre strength.

Drowning mobs that teleported with dispel magic was partly useful

The item near Hyssk that a mob used to make 3x wraith followers was initially lootable, you just had to kill him before he used all the charges. I think I leveled a dwarf warrior with this
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:I think you're thinking of the werewolves back when they would relocate to players :)

No, something else. Started with a C maybe?
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Oh you mean Cision, the backstabber?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:39 am

Yes, that's the one.
Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:14 am

Epic bump.

Ragorn wrote:There was also the trade bug. So, Miax thought it would be a good idea to introduce trade into the game. Basically, you bought a cart of trade goods in Waterdeep and strapped yourself to it. Then you walked to Mithril Hall, very.. very.. very slowly. Each step was like 11 moves, and you had the potential to be attacked by bandit mobs along the way, the strength of whom depended on the load you were carrying. If you were carrying gems or something, the mobs were probably unsoloable, especially since this was Sojourn 2 where Ragorn ended the wipe with 29/32 hit/dam and 430 hit points. So you'd trudge a couple steps, sit down to rest, and if you went afk, you probably got killed by bandits. Well, someone figured out almost immediately that you could log out in Waterdeep, run to Mithril Hall, buy a cart, and then idle until crash. When you came back, you'd return from crashsave in your last rented location (Waterdeep) in the same state you were in when the game crashed (with a cart of diamonds strapped to your back). You just went six steps from the inn to the trade center, sold your gems, and went about your day. We also figured out that the prices rose and fell according to demand, so you could just sit in one town and play the trade center like a stock market.

Oh, THAT was the trade bug everyone was abusing? I thought it was the fact that if you had the cart on a horse and not mounted on said horse, and the horse ran out of moves, you could keep going as if the cart was not attached to you, expending only your own normal moves. I knew about that one very early after trade came in, and avoided causing it as much as possible. I may have been one of, if not the only, players who did not have to give back any of their trade gains. 10,000 platinum or so back when wipes still happened wasn't insanely rich, but I didn't need gear for a looooong time after that.

Yes, the bandits were quite fun. I caused a rather epic battle between a red dragon bandit and the Waterdeep guards. As a level 35ish ranger, I was barely able to evade the thing, and it would follow me into the inn room and just stare at me. It had no trouble dispatching 15 or so elite guards, but Lord Piergeron's band finally managed to kill it. Not sure if it was aggro to anyone else, but the guards would aggro it every time.
Enth
Sojourner

Postby Enth » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:36 pm

Back in Soj2 when Hell was a zone, I used to do solo holy word runs on the mob (forgot the name, some devil) to get bag of holding by removing my light. The mobs didn't have infra nor ultra. :)

The splitting skeletons in Lava Tubes had insane amounts of xp early on, well like a regular mob but you'd end up killing like a hundred in one run. Holy word too ftw, I got myself and others many levels by spending a few hours there.
Jhorr
Sojourner

Postby Jhorr » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:30 pm

Drowning dragons was fun. Dizahk solo'd Chlora way back when doing that.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”