double standards in our treatment of islam

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
kiryan
Sojourner

double standards in our treatment of islam

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:47 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09 ... n-burning/

So this "Christian" pastor is holding a burn the koran celebration and has been asked not to by a lot of folks including general Petraeus.

Meanwhile, they want to build a mosque at ground zero and Obama supports that.

Its time we address the double standard that Islam gets. You can publish the most vile cartoons about Jesus and Christians, but you can't say one negative thing about Islam or print or any kind of satire dealing with Muhammed. You can't even protest them building a trophy commemorating the attack at the site of 9/11 without being thought of as discriminating against their religion. What the freaking hell.

I'm disappointed in Petraeus. Isn't one of the military catch phrases "and i'm willing to die to protect your right to say that?" Just not when its against islam huh?

Don't get me wrong, this guy doesn't need to be doing this... its not worth soldiers dieing or the war being escalated/drug on/ect... but for crying out loud, why are Christians the only ones who get criticized and outright attacked for anything.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: double standards in our treatment of islam

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:54 pm

kiryan wrote:Meanwhile, they want to build a mosque at ground zero and Obama supports that.

No, he correctly asserted they have the right to do so.

but for crying out loud, why are Christians the only ones who get criticized and outright attacked for anything.

Because Christians don't usually go for suicide bombing?

Remember it was Bush who made us terrified of them, who constantly used 9/11 to make us afraid to vote for "weaker" candidates. People are saying he shouldn't do this because they are afraid of the retaliation.

Thanks Bush, for turning us into a nation of cowards.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:04 pm

i stand corrected, he supports their right to do so. I wonder if he's personally asked them not to as a measure of good will and sympathy for the victims of 9/11. Maybe he can have a cammel spit summit.

I don't get your comments about muslims and becoming afraid of them... If you pay attention to the middle east you've know for years that there is a very violent, very scary bunch of islam activists and they line up by the hundreds to do suicide bombings. Its happening constantly over there obviously more so since 9/11
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:14 pm

kiryan wrote:i stand corrected, he supports their right to do so. I wonder if he's personally asked them not to as a measure of good will and sympathy for the victims of 9/11. Maybe he can have a cammel spit summit.

Saw a Daily Show bit earlier, and they showed Obama saying they have the right to build the mosque. Then they showed him saying he doesn't think it's a good idea. Personally asked them not to? Why? The whole thing is so overblown it's not even funny. The "mosque" is a single room in a community center a few blocks away. It's more of the partisan crap that the Republicans are perpetuating to make things difficult for Obama in the next election. Hell the Mosque is even partially funded by one of the owners of Fox.

I don't get your comments about muslims and becoming afraid of them... If you pay attention to the middle east you've know for years that there is a very violent, very scary bunch of islam activists and they line up by the hundreds to do suicide bombings. Its happening constantly over there obviously more so since 9/11

I suspect most Americans have known that for... well, probably just about 9 years now.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:39 pm

Sarvis wrote:I suspect most Americans have known that for... well, probably just about 9 years now.

Nah, Sarvis. Think back to movies like Delta Force (Chuck Norris ftw) and alot of similar movies of the 70s and 80s. Typical terrorist bad guys? Muslim extremists. The perception of them as terrorists, etc. comes from way before 9/11.

I'll use an email I got recently to help:

1. 1968 Bobby Kennedy was shot and killed by: a.. Superman b. Jay Leno
c. Harry Potter d. A Muslim male extremist between the ages of 17 and 40

2. In 1972 at the Munich Olympics, athletes were kidnapped and massacred by :
a. Olga Corbett b. Sitting Bull c. Arnold Schwarzenegger
d. Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

3. In 1979, the US embassy in Iran was taken over by:
a. Lost Norwegians b. Elvis c. A tour bus full of 80-year-old women
d . Muslim male extremists mostly between the ages of 17 and 40

4. During the 1980's a number of Americans were kidnapped in Lebanon by:
a. John Dillinger b. The King of Sweden c. The Boy Scouts

5. In 1983, the US Marine barracks in Beirut was blown up by:
a. A pizza delivery boy b. Pee Wee Herman c.. Geraldo Rivera

6. In 1985 the cruise ship Achille Lauro was hijacked and a 70 year old American passenger was murdered and thrown overboard in his wheelchair by:
a. The Smurfs b. Davey Jones c. The Little Mermaid

7. In 1985 TWA flight 847 was hijacked at Athens, and a US Navy diver trying to rescue passengers was murdered by: a. Captain Kidd b. Charles Lindberg
c. Mother Teresa

8. In 1988, Pan Am Flight 103 was bombed by:
a. Scooby Doo b. The Tooth Fairy c. The Sundance Kid

9. In 1993 the World Trade Center was bombed the first time by:
a. Richard Simmons b. Grandma Moses c. Michael Jordan

10. In 1998, the US embassies in Kenya and Tanzania were bombed by:
a. Mr. Rogers b. Hillary Clinton, to distract attention from Wild Bill's women problems c. The World Wrestling Federation
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:57 am

Not to be a spoil sport, but there was also the Oklahoma City bombing and the Atlanta Olympics bombing, which was carried out by white dudes... as well as the VT and Columbine massacres, white dudes and an asian dude...
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:59 am

Here's the real question though: why are US Federal Government politically appointees in the highest offices of government criticizing and insulting a small American minority?

Where the fuck do they get off telling Americans who's wrong or who's right, so long as they remain within the bounds of our fucking laws and exercise our fucking freedom of speech? How dare you condemn Americans just because they are in the minority of opinions that they chose to freely exercise while in your official position?

I am not talking about statements that have been made that it will make things difficult for our troops. That so much is dialogue.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:18 pm

kiryan wrote:Its time we address the double standard that Islam gets.

I agree completely.

When's the Bible burning?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:05 am

You missed last year's Halloween event. Or the year's before in Tel Aviv. Last November in Sudan... The US military burned a couple of pallets of bibles written in two common afghan languages not too long ago in Afghanistan. I think this pagan group in my county is having one on Christmas.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 am

Its constant and pervasive Ragorn. Or did you think religious conservative was a term of endearment? I've seen a university in my home state stand up for the right of the school newspaper editor to publish a cartoon portraying Jesus as a homosexual as perfectly fine. Daly portrayed God as a bumbling fool in video... South Park makes him out to be a complete idiot... but they censored the one about islam... Why do we as Americans roll over for these fucking islamists who threaten us with death for "disrespecting" their religion. Will you start rolling over for Christians if we start threatening and acting violently? Is that the reason why I have to put up with school districts that want to teach anal and oral sex is just another form of sex? Maybe we should add bestiality and polygamy to that list too?

This whole situation just gets more embarassing by the day.

State department calls the plan, "unamerican". What the fuck is more american than the freedom of speech?
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/09 ... n-burning/

FBI is concerned about retaliation and wants these guys to call it off.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Blotter/ ... 779&page=1

SO basically you have every level of the American government worried about what someone else might do when Americans exercise their right to protest, their right to free speech... And some even go so far as to condemn it. WHY ARE WE RUNNING SCARED?

Maybe we ought to start telling women not to wear provocative clothing because they might get raped? or telling darkies not to look a white man in the face because he might become offended and beat their asses? or abortion doctors to practice under pseudo names and hidden clinics? Why shouldn't all these people take reasonable these actions to prevent other people from getting upset? burn a koran, holy fuk this is an international incident so important and dangerous that the top General running a fucking war has to comment on? Oh it might have an impact on the war? Don't want to offend them? Fuk that, the people with this mentality are the ones who sympathized with and evolved into 9/11. We need to get these fuckers out in the open and end them. We need to bombard their culture with secularism and attack their religious tenets constantly like we do here in the US... or did you not realize thats what you're doing.

Oh and lets talk about that jack ass John Kerry and all the fucking hippies who were directly attributed with by the viet cong leaders with prologing the vietnam war. John Kerry was almost president of the USA despite his very apparently unamerican activities that actually did result in thousands of deaths.

you anti christians are a bunch of hipocrites. I dare you to attack islam with the fervor you do Christians. terrorist apologists.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:17 am

The double standard illustrated:

Christianity
Islam
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:45 am

kiryan wrote:Why do we as Americans roll over for these fucking islamists who threaten us with death for "disrespecting" their religion.

"islamists who threaten us with death"

islamists who threaten us with death

Kiryan wrote:WHY ARE WE RUNNING SCARED?

You answered your own question.

For the record, it isn't us athiests who are running scared. We think it's asinine that South Park censored images of Mohammed. Just as asinine as everything you Christians force down our throats by using your majority to elect only Christian politicians who enact "Blue Laws."

But we can understand why Comedy Central's network executives were scared, after years of Republican fearmongering.

Remember, if you don't elect Republicans the terr'ists will get you!
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:59 pm

kiryan wrote:Its constant and pervasive Ragorn.

You should really just address your post to Sarvis... you and I both know that I'm much slower to respond to outright trolling than he is. He'll probably engage you for a couple posts though.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Ragorn wrote:
kiryan wrote:Its constant and pervasive Ragorn.

You should really just address your post to Sarvis... you and I both know that I'm much slower to respond to outright trolling than he is. He'll probably engage you for a couple posts though.

Meh... I'm tired and hung over today. Not really in the mood...
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:35 pm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

Obama implores pastor to call off his 'stunt'

"A handful of individuals . . . cannot be given the right to flippantly play about with peaceful coexistence, and their so-called sentiments cannot be preferred over global peace," Qadri wrote in a letter to Obama. "Such an action should be stopped by the government of the United States at any cost; allowing it does not fall within the scope of freedom of expression, and it is also against the concept of basic human rights."

This is the "PEACEFUL" muslim's response... that global piece can only be achieved if we all obey Islam's commandments to respect the koran. That the US government should stop these people AT ANY COST because its not freedom of expression.

Funny, I don't see him imploring the imam to call off his stunt of building a mosque at ground zero. Thats religious freedom, burning a koran is inciteful hate mongering and every other bad thing you can imagine.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:53 pm

kiryan wrote:Funny, I don't see him imploring the imam to call off his stunt of building a mosque at ground zero. Thats religious freedom, burning a koran is inciteful hate mongering and every other bad thing you can imagine.

It's not a Mosque, it's not at ground zero and no Christian is going to fly a plane into it.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Imagine how much better life would be if we just banned all religion. God, that would be wonderful. No Fred Phelps, Tom Cruise, Hitler, Stalin, Ann Coulter, Pol Pot, Christian Crusades, witch burning, Qur'an burning, Sarah Palin, priests raping children, 9/11, or DC Talk. No more territory disputes in the middle east or hate crimes against gays. No suicide cults, no Oklahoma City or London Underground bombings.

I'm calling my senator. I'm getting all misty just thinking about it.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:24 pm

The debate that right now that is happening towards islam already happened to christianity many years ago. Nietzsche was completly extreme when he announced that god was dead. Islam needs some time.

I think the best debate is when critisism comes from within. And it is happening, although slowly.

Here in Denmark we have already had quite a lot of debates over this issue, and it so simple that you cannot have both fredom of speech, and religions you cannot critizise. Mostly the debate is fact based, and done by sane people. Sadly those people have to give up their lives and live with police protection for the rest of their lives.

But in the US case, what I don't get, is that some fruitcake can stir up so much debate and get so much television time.

Note: There also are the regular nutcase racists here, the just don't make it to the media.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:48 pm

Disoputlip wrote:But in the US case, what I don't get, is that some fruitcake can stir up so much debate and get so much television time.

That's what really stood out for me as well. It's kind of amazing if you think about it that some hick wackjobs can get reactions from the Pope, President Obama, General Patraeus, Sarah Palin, etc., with the mere threat of burning a few books.

The problem is that these fruitcakes are actually going to get a lot of people killed. Why? Because there are a bunch of Muslims out there who are way too sensitive about this sort of thing, and will interpret it as an act by Christians or the US against their beliefs.

So these hick fruitcakes are trying to ignite a holy war in the same way that Al Queda has been trying to ignite a holy war. The problem, perhaps, is that a dumb hick bonfire got any attention in the first place.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:59 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/09/im ... e-muslims/

If the ground zero mosque doesn't get built now, it may enrage muslims.

Can someone please contact the president of the muslim world so we can clear every piece of US policy and individual action through them first? Maybe we should just appoint a muslim cleric president of the USA from now on.

You guys are pathetic. Yes people are going to get killed because of this pastor's actions, but Americans have always prided themselves on dieing to protect freedom.. in the US and around the world. Go ahead and roll over for them if you want. I will never.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:04 pm

kiryan wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/09/09/imam-warns-moving-mosque-enrage-muslims/

If the ground zero mosque doesn't get built now, it may enrage muslims.

Can someone please contact the president of the muslim world so we can clear every piece of US policy and individual action through them first? Maybe we should just appoint a muslim cleric president of the USA from now on.

You guys are pathetic. Yes people are going to get killed because of this pastor's actions, but Americans have always prided themselves on dieing to protect freedom.. in the US and around the world. Go ahead and roll over for them if you want. I will never.

Now now Kiryan, you just missed a golden opportunity to claim we DID put a muslim in the whitehouse! Even as a troll you're sub-par!

As for dying to protect freedom? There is NO ONE who has said this guy doesn't have the right to stage his protest. You're asking us to die for stupidity, not for Freedom.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:10 pm

You must be of the Elana Kagan freedom of speech except for "speech with no value" camp. Ban crush videos because theres no substantive value in their speech. Sorry the supreme court disagreed with you. maybe next we can ban complaining about politics because the speech has no value except to piss others off and nothing changes.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:20 pm

Again, no one has said he should not be allowed to burn the books. Why do you think we shouldn't be allowed to tell him it's a stupid idea?
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:30 pm

At least it spikes the real debate.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:41 pm

Ragorn wrote:Hitler, Stalin,

I'm gonna troll for a sec. Hitler and Stalin in a list of "religion-caused evil"? Fail. Please don't try stretching or confusing history.

P.S. You forgot to add Bill Maher's name next to Tom Cruise's.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:34 pm

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:Funny, I don't see him imploring the imam to call off his stunt of building a mosque at ground zero. Thats religious freedom, burning a koran is inciteful hate mongering and every other bad thing you can imagine.

It's not a Mosque, it's not at ground zero and no Christian is going to fly a plane into it.

Just two weeks ago, the organization that is building Park51 stated clearly on their website that it is a mosque at ground zero (it has since been changed, surprise, surprise). Additionally, christians with pilot's licenses are getting older and more senile.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:35 pm

Disoputlip wrote:At least it spikes the real debate.

What debate?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:51 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:P.S. You forgot to add Bill Maher's name next to Tom Cruise's.

Why Bill Maher? Maher is a self-described apatheist, which is someone who doesn't give a shit about religious belief. A hero, in my opinion.

Also, I think it should be MANDATORY to build mosques at Ground Zero. And those mosques should be required to serve as abortion clinics when services are not being held.

Has this thread passed the ridiculous threshold yet? How much further do we have to go? :)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:09 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:P.S. You forgot to add Bill Maher's name next to Tom Cruise's.

Why Bill Maher? Maher is a self-described apatheist, which is someone who doesn't give a shit about religious belief. A hero, in my opinion.

Also, I think it should be MANDATORY to build mosques at Ground Zero. And those mosques should be required to serve as abortion clinics when services are not being held.

Has this thread passed the ridiculous threshold yet? How much further do we have to go? :)

The Mosques should ALSO serve as wealth redistribution centers. Anyone who makes more than I do has to drop off their money, and anyone who makes less than me picks it up until we all have the same amount.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:54 pm

Ooh I like that. That's capital thinking, Sarvis!
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:31 am

teflor the ranger wrote:

What debate?

How to live together in a multicultural society.
How to distinguish religion and radical fanatics.
How to treat religions.
How to uphold freedom of speech.
etc.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Disoputlip wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

What debate?

How to treat religions.
etc.

By not establishing a mosque on a site where radical Islamists murdered thousands of innocent people in cold blood?

This is not a debate. This is stupid.

The right to free expression comes with the responsibility for those who chose to help maintain society to ensure that it is exercised with the respect necessary to not only maintain, but promote the harmony and tolerance between different types of people. Something clearly not being done because some jackass mosque builders want to COMBAT (link) the American 'radicals' on the same grounds that Islamist radicals murdered thousands of innocent Americans.

This isn't rocket science.
Last edited by teflor the ranger on Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:37 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Disoputlip wrote:
teflor the ranger wrote:

What debate?

How to treat religions.
etc.

By not establishing a mosque on a site where radical Islamists murdered thousands of innocent people in cold blood?

This is not a debate. This is stupid.

The right to free expression comes with the responsibility for those who chose to help maintain society to ensure that it is exercised with the respect necessary to not only maintain, but promote the harmony and tolerance between different types of people. Something clearly not being done because some jackass mosque builders want to COMBAT the 'extremists' in America on the same grounds that religious extremists murdered thousands of innocent Americans.

This isn't rocket science.

Im not arguing the debate is spiked on this BBS, don't worry.

This BBS, as always, have the joyfull donkey vs. elephant approach that we all enjoy.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:40 pm

By the way, my ire is not directed at your post. I don't think this is a real debate. Beyond that note, the follow on comments are to whoever cares to read them.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”