Mud data usage and wireless card - Help!

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Roklam
Sojourner

Mud data usage and wireless card - Help!

Postby Roklam » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:17 pm

So I'm moving in two weeks.... to the boondocks. Great house, huge yard, horses, directv, no internet service provider. I do have cell phone service out there, so I'm thinking a verizon wireless card, but those have data usage limits. Satellite is a bit pricey. Dial-up? Ugh.

So, couple questions. What is the average hourly data usage for a player on the mud? Anyone know?

And does anyone have any other options for an isp i might be overlooking? No dsl, no cable at the house.

I just got back and I sure as hell don't want to leave. :P
Pril
Sojourner

Re: Mud data usage and wireless card - Help!

Postby Pril » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:42 pm

Satellite.
Callarduran
Staff Member - Admin

Postby Callarduran » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:08 pm

As someone who just recently got back from living out in the middle of nowhere - the Verizon wireless thing works pretty well, especially if you have a good strong signal. The MUD doesn't eat up too much, unless you do something like Tia with a lot of info scrolling through constantly (my last Tia trip almost made us go over our allotted bandwidth). Our main problem was that we dropped connection a lot because of how poor our signal strength was. If we had lived half a mile away from where we were in any direction we wouldn't have had as much of an issue.

What you do have to be more careful with is anything that uses Flash or video. Those will kill you quick unless you pay close attention. I recommend it if you don't want to do satellite.
--There needs to be a word for the irrational desire to reason with the delusional.

Oghma OOC: 'Please use me.'
Gukov
Sojourner

Postby Gukov » Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:42 pm

Satellite is useless for mud... the upstream rate has a huge delay. I had a choice between satellite and 26.4 dialup for many years and the dialup was far and away superior for mudding.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:54 am

Record an hour long mud session and check out the file size. It'll be peanuts.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”