ok i might have to rethink that whole your choice thing...

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

ok i might have to rethink that whole your choice thing...

Postby kiryan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 6:44 pm

http://eatthis.menshealth.com/slide/wor ... etagsfocus

2010 calories in 24 ounces...

maybe we can and should consider some regulation... or at least a warning... THIS DRINK WILL MAKE YOU 1 LB FATTER.

How the hell do they get that many calories in a drink!!! LOL
Pril
Sojourner

Re: ok i might have to rethink that whole your choice thing...

Postby Pril » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:03 pm

I'll take two please.
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:13 pm

Regulation aside, the big problem with our food is that the amount you eat has little relation to the calories you take in. This shake is more than a day's worth of calories, but after drinking it you still might be hungry... or you might drink something like this with your meal.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:20 pm

Yeah... in trying to eat healthy, I've cut a lot of breads and pastas out of my diet. High-carb foods aren't bad for you, they just pack a lot of calories compared to how much they fill you up. This thing is a freakin' dessert, so you might drink it as you waddle out of Cheesecake Factory after having eaten their 1,800 calorie pasta bake dish.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:36 pm

I see what you're saying... but we can train so many aspects of our body/brain to reach a new norm that I'm not sure I'd say that calorie density is "the problem". Is the problem you're stomach is big enough to eat 2 buckets of chicken, or is the problem you stretched your stomach out to hold 2 buckets of chicken over time because it tastes good?

The most compelling research I've seen recently is the whole 100 calorie pack problem. Once you open a package... you keep eating until its gone. So if its a 12 ounce can of soda vs a 20 oz bottle vs 32 you will keep going until its gone. The simple act of having to open a new package makes most people re-evaluate their decision to consume. The very effective result is 100 calorie packs of cookies and 8 oz sodas (at least very effective in the short term, who knows if we'll get to the point we just keep opening packages since its the new norm)

I've read studies that say people don't feel less hungry after drinking soda... or don't cut their caloric intake after eating high calorie foods... I can see how that is the tendency, but I'm not sure it is a reflection of a biological condition rather than one of discipline... I feel full when I eat a candy bar... I could eat more if I wanted, but I lose my desire to consume anything else. Is that because mentally I know thats enough candy so I tell my body its full? My stomach certainly isnt anywhere close to full (I ate a whole 14" pizza by myself last week), but I feel full or done... if I try and eat 2, I feel sick... At least for me, my feeling of full, is dependent on what I'm eating and what I'm feeling. Occasionally, I'll go 36+ hours without eating for no reason at all other than I'm just not hungry. Other times I'll eat 3 meals in 24 hours.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:31 pm

I actually use diet soda as an appetite suppressant. It fills my craving to consume, caffeine is a known appetite suppressant, and the carbonated liquid fills my stomach and makes me feel more full.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:38 pm

you're right I've heard that before, and thats how it works for me...

but its interesting that the studies show that consuming sugary drinks, specifically soda, does not reduce the amount of calories you consume in a meal.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:30 am

They started requiring that certain chain restaurants put calories on the menus where I live. I recently went to Hooters and ended up having a difficult time ordering ANYTHING off the menu. It was absurd. The wings dish I used to order without a second thought was like 2300 calories. Couldn't pull the trigger once I knew the numbers involved. I'm not overweight and have never counted calories in my life - but I still couldn't do that to myself. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:53 pm

kiryan wrote:you're right I've heard that before, and thats how it works for me...

but its interesting that the studies show that consuming sugary drinks, specifically soda, does not reduce the amount of calories you consume in a meal.

Well yeah... because your stomach doesn't feel "full" until 20-30 minutes after you start eating it. When I drink a diet soda to suppress my appetite, I do it instead of eating a snack, not in addition to... but that's a conscious choice, and doing both at the same time wouldn't reduce the amount of snack I eat.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Ragorn/Kiryan: I've actually heard diet soda can make you feel more hungry for some reason. I don't think I've ever felt full after drinking some, unless I drink like an entire bottle in a couple minutes...

Corth: I wish they'd do that for ALL restaurants, honestly. Maybe it doesn't need to be right next to every entree, but in the back of the menu or something so I can look when I want to.

You could always eat light the entire day in anticipation of 2300 calories worth of wings, after all! Then go jogging afterwards, I guess. Then maybe not eat all the next day. ;)

Oh yeah Kiryan, you're metabolism must be messed up. No offense met, but very few people can go 3 days without eating...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:12 pm

No one is forcing you to eat the whole thing though. Just pay for it :D
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:40 am

Sarvis,

I heard Dr. Oz the other day talking about the thing with the diet soda (don't ask).

The theory is that there are 'sensors' in the esophagus that tell the brain - hey something sweet and full of calories is on it's way down. The brain in turn gets ready to digest all those yummy calories - but the sensors lied, there aren't any calories there. You simply get hungry as a result.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:20 am

Interesting Corth.

Yea there is probably something not normal about me, whether its mental or metabolism. I think I said 36 hours, not 3 days without eating. To say that I don't get hungry is probably an exaggeration... but the hunger passes before I get around to dealing with it because I'm reading or programming or playing video games.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:27 am

kiryan wrote:Interesting Corth.

Yea there is probably something not normal about me, whether its mental or metabolism. I think I said 36 hours, not 3 days without eating. To say that I don't get hungry is probably an exaggeration... but the hunger passes before I get around to dealing with it because I'm reading or programming or playing video games.

So no bag of doritos in your lap while playing games?

I really can't go that long without eating these days... I used to be able to skip lunch or whatever, but lately I get hungry several times through the day. :(

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:45 am

I'm a bit like that too Kiryan. All in all I probably get my full allotment of calories on most days. But very often I find myself so engrossed in my work that I forget to eat lunch. And I'm not a breakfast person, so fairly often my first meal of the day is dinner. Followed usually by a second dinner and a midnight snack.

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:02 am

very similar indeed although I generally don't eat a 2nd dinner until after 2 or 3 am (if I'm up that late). I tend to eat big meals infrequently... whether its breakfast lunch or dinner. I've been considering forcing myself to develop a schedule of regular micro meals... just to see what kind of effect it has on me... but its so convenient to only need to eat 1x a day.

Sarvis, no on the bag of doritors... I basically don't eat candy or chips or cookies or desert (except tortilla chips when I make 10 layer bean dip for dinner). Really, I don't eat unless its a meal. If I'm hungry I'll go heat up a piece of steak and eat it with rice and a couple pickles or go get a burger. Chips, I just don't get it. You're hungry right? Eat food.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”