Jurdex

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
gnerble
Sojourner

Jurdex

Postby gnerble » Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:46 am

I remember when I found the Red Wizard of Thay in GC once. I was a level 41 enchanter, and I asked around and nobody needed relocate.

So I decided to try and kill the mob. When I couldn't, I decided to see who was on that could. Not many people on, but I saw a barbarian named Jurdex. I had never grouped with him before, but I knew he was a great mudder and could probably help me.

I asked him if he and his group could come and help me. He responded and said he was solo but he could help me out. When he got there, I stoned him, and he started.

His artifact was awesome. He rocked. It was so cool watching him kill that mob.

I didn't really get to know you till this wipe. Even then, I got to group with you, but not much.

I'm sorry for the constant Hootie jokes, but man that one time where you were going off on how much you liked Hootie and the Blowfish and the Verarb said 'Dornax thinks that musical perfection was achieved with Hooties 3rd album' I almost fell out of my chair.

I think what happened today was just circumstantial - there were reboots every hour or so today, so yes, Dartan and some others were already in Jotunheim from the start - they had been for hours.

If you would have asked me to come first, I would have. I know you are angry and you are a competitive guy, and I think I understand why you are angry.

The MUD needs more leaders. More people like you. Please don't quit.

Gnerble

------------------

[This message has been edited by gnerble (edited 06-21-2002).]
Verarb
Sojourner

Postby Verarb » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:41 am

Hootie still Blowing

------------------
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:28 am

Heh, i doubt that jurdex would do what he did if it was only the fact that he got beaten to invasion. Im guessing its something more than that. He wouldn't give anyone that kind of satisfaction the stubborn bastard Image

Heh, its very stressful to lead a guild, particularly a big one like Imphras. Some people do a lot of work for the guild as a whole, but not everyone. When it comes down to it, its the leader's responsibility to make sure everything is running smoothly. You are friends with everyone in your organization and you don't want to let anyone down, so it becomes paramount to fulfill your responsibility - adding more stress. And when your own people let you down, it makes you even that more disapointed.

I really didn't enjoy that aspect of being a guild leader, and recently stepped aside for someone else to take over. Perhaps that is one thing dornax could consider. I've been having a lot more fun on the mud ever since.

Dornax also has to deal with the additional factor of a hypercompetitive corth always causing trouble Image In any event, all competitive bullshit aside, I hope you come back Dornax, and figure out a way of making the mud fun for you.

Best wishes,
Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:32 am

ill never post anything stupid again.

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
FS: All my irrelevant psychology textbooks.
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Fri Jun 21, 2002 7:50 am

You will be missed, always.

I tried to quit not so long ago. It seemed like a pretty easy thing to do; afterall, my laptop had been stolen and I hadn't played for over a month. Then I started telnetting from my job machine, and I was back in full force. It wasn't the dagger twirling that I had missed. It was the social interaction that the mud provided for me. Sadly, I do have other things to do with my time (work, wife, kids, recreation, gym) but the mud like the before mentioned things is a mainstay. Other aspects may suffer (e.g., sleep) but I guess that's what it takes for me to feel "well-rounded." That's just me, I'm quirky like that. I can't say that I can relate to being a leader of a guild - I imagine the aspirations and stress can be extraordinary. I just wish you would make your way back. I respect anyone's decision to quit the game, I'll just miss you is all. Peace to you and success in all your endeavours.

Toarn
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:16 am

Whoa, Dornax is quitting? Did i read that right? Don't go! I have yet to die in a Dornax group! Hopefully he'll sleep on his decision and decide that quitting is something he doesn't want to do. I wanted to quit, but after a good nights sleep felt better. Maybe a good 3 night sleep would do it! Don't quit!

------------------
"Incoming force missles have the right of way!"

Dalen the super paly.
Aram the novice paly.
Nilan
Sojourner

Postby Nilan » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:27 am

Nobody Quits. I mean has anyone ever truely quit that said "i'm gonna quit"?

No Image

The bearded Dwarf will be back, if not leading his band of slaves to a dead king, then he will be leading some other zealots. *taunt*

Because if he isnt, then well I guess I win *grin*

*wink*

Nilan

ShadowStalker - Drow Assassin
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:06 pm

Keep'em comin' guys! He might just come back if we wont let him leave!

------------------
Kifle "It Slipped I swear!" ButteryFingers
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:09 pm

Sojourn with Jurdex > Sojourn without Jurdex.

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Fri Jun 21, 2002 3:23 pm

I miss you Jurdex.
You were always so nice to me.
At least you kept your promise and took me to Jot Image
But you have a lot of other zones to take me to and a lot more conversations to have with me so I wish you'd come back.

------------------
Jennie
@}--`--,---
thruar
Sojourner

Postby thruar » Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Nilan:
<B>Nobody Quits. I mean has anyone ever truely quit that said "i'm gonna quit"?

No Image

The bearded Dwarf will be back, if not leading his band of slaves to a dead king, then he will be leading some other zealots. *taunt*

Because if he isnt, then well I guess I win *grin*

*wink*

Nilan

ShadowStalker - Drow Assassin</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I second that! We all have to stop playing someday. Some people get bored faster than others, and there are those that will play this game till they die.

Since I stopped mudding I found myself to be less stressed over this game which became a chore to me. I am sure I can still find fun in Sojourn but I am not ready to commit 6-12 hours a day anymore.

People whom I know will never MUD again people like Tessaire, Kurz, Larok, amoung others, myself included I just don't feel addicted to MUD anymore. No more drive to play MUDs.

Maybe Jurdex found it is time to move on finally and do other things he has been neglecting. Reasons why we all quit are:

1. Did most zones and quests there is to be done on the MUD, any addition new zones are likely to be explored and done within the month anyways and it all get's old.

2. Doing zones over and over again, having top equip for months is boring.

3. For leaders you have to deal with besting the next best guild and stay on top of things, fighting the political battle, hearing people whine in your own guild is a chore in itself all together is tiresome.

4. Found something more fun than MUDs.

5. Fustration with both Imms and players.

Postby Guest » Fri Jun 21, 2002 4:48 pm

Some people move on in time, that is and always has been a reality of the MUD world. Some people are wired with a love of Sojourn and a satisfaction with what the world provides, more from the Social element than the Game element. Thruar stated many of the reasons why hard-core gamers usually move on - the challenge only lasts so long.

The reality is that people move on. Most people come back to socialize from time to time, or even play again for a bit. The hard-core Sojourners either play all the time and never quit, or go through cycles in which they play 3-9 months, burn out and take 1-12 months off, then return. There is every spectrum and combination of people on Sojourn.

Jurdex/Dornax has been a hard-core Sojourner going way back. He has gone through 2 or 3 major "periods" of play-time with us, lived through some of our Darkest times and some of our best times. Now was his time to burn-out, as Everyone of us does (including me, more than you realize). I will miss him, as he is an important part of our world and our history, and I strongly believe that one day he will be back in force. Until then, we will continue the Journey as we must - and I think all of us here, both those who loved and hated him, will respect him and his legacy.

So, with that, I wish him a fonde adieu - for now. Don't foget to send me that temple material Dorny, we should still do that.

Regards,

Miax
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:23 pm

Wow, this sucks. I didn't know Dornax well, but he was nice to me......I was a level 27 enchanter and none other was on so he took me and 2 other people to MS to get eq. Then gave me my dwarven scale mail and something else i think Image I STill have that dwarven scale and it has served me well Image Heh, that piece of eq was so expensive then, well it sold for like 400 plat or something and that was a lot to me. I was shocked at getting it for free.

Anyways, Dornax if you're reading this, that'd be cool if you came back.

------------------
Leah A. W.
Cerlayne
Sojourner

Postby Cerlayne » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:35 pm

not knowing the specifics.. all i can say is having been there.. there's always reasons people don't know about... i think it's important we let him know he's wanted on the mud but don't pressure him.. that doesn't help anything and can actually make it worse... i've known you for years dornax.. fought with you and also found out what a great guy you really are... haven't played with you much this wipe and i regret that... i wish you the best and take care man... huggles...

Cerly
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Jun 21, 2002 5:56 pm

I played last wipe for some time, but when I rolled up Ashiwi this time around I still considered myself a newbie. When associations first came in I was fortunate to get into one at the inception. Unfortunately, that one did not work out, and left me with a rather ill taste in my mouth at the thought of joining another one. Time passed and I considered my options and got to know more people on the mud. Eventually I realized that if I were going to join another guild it would be Shadows of Imphras or nothing. I wanted the stability they offered, the camaraderie, the assurance that the people in Shadows were not only excellent players, but also some of the most likeable people I've ever had the pleasure to play with. As long as I have been a part of Shadows I have never seen squabbling between the guildmembers, no politics kept us seperate, it was simply a group of friends and comrades who seemed to truly enjoy the time they spent together. I feel like Dornax had a lot to do with that.

When I logged in and realized the guild had been disbanded my heart dropped. I will miss playing with Brian more than I can say, he has been one of my best friends here on Sojourn, somebody I knew I could always count on. He will always be with Imphras, and I hope that he will continue to be one of my best friends.

Hugs Brian! Miss you already.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Jun 21, 2002 8:26 pm

Hope things go well for ya big D, we'll be here if/when you decide to come back, for however much time you decide to spend with us.

I appreciate all you've done to help me, and teach me how to be a good shammy. I had great fun with you, and hope to again in the future.

Safe travels my friend.

Toplack

------------------
Nelal
Sojourner

Postby Nelal » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:19 pm

Dornax helped me out a tremendous amount when I started playing here again, went out of his way to invite me to zones and help me with my quests and teach me things about the game that I'd either forgotten or differed from what I had gotten used to on other MUDs. And made me swallow my pride too many times when I got myself into bad situations. *cough*

Despite everything, and despite the differences we have had recently, I will always be thankful and respectful for the generosity you extended towards me. There are very few people I can say have had a mark on me through my years of playing, and you, Dornax, are one of them.

May whatever you choose to do bring you the happiness you deserve.

Nelal.
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:34 pm

I thought up a couple poetic things to say. Then deleted them all.

Thanks for muddin Dornax.

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Jun 21, 2002 9:51 pm

One less Louisiana man to get me killed in the game? Say it ain't so!

Go eat some gumbo and go watch some re-runs of a Saint's game (one where they actually WIN!) and you come on back now boy.

Much respect to Corth for what he said Folks. Give it up. Eza and I both stepped aside from our leadership of our guild to let another run it. It sucks having everyone depend on YOU all the time. Eza is staying solo and I am acting as an advisor/Lieutenant now in my guild. Not easy being the leader folks. Keep that in mind next time you decide to screw yours over or something.

If you don't come back B, you'll be missed. Take care,

Kallinar sends you sprawling with a powerful Boudreaux joke.

[This message has been edited by Kallinar (edited 06-21-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jun 21, 2002 11:43 pm

Once upon a time, I got together with Drannic and Kildran to form a guild. Drannic knew this guy Jurdex... some warrior, a little lower than me, decent equipment. He wanted to make him a founder, so we dragged him out into the field for some tests. Jurdex held up ok, didn't talk much, but he did his job. So when I was levelling up and looking for a tank, I'd send him a tell. Jurdex always came, but he had kind of a quiet, aloof, almost not at keys attitude.

One day we were going to TF and someone said "We need a tank, grab Jurdex." I said "Yeah Jurdex is my tank bitch, I snap and he comes running." Well whoever it was looked at me a little funny and said "Do you know who Jurdex is?" I was like.. "uh I dunno, some guy." He explained, and I was like wow.. I must be some kind of pimp if this formerly arti-wielding warrior/cleric dude is my bitch.

Well, Jurdex and Verarb eventually jumped ship for another guild, and I formed Wanderlust, but at least I can say I got to know Jurbil while we were all low level. I haven't really grouped with him since a really nasty argument over a brass group that he's probably forgotten, but I got over my hard feelings in time.

Peace, Jurdex, whatever you do. And wherever you are, you will always be my bitch Image

- Ragorn

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Sat Jun 22, 2002 3:49 am

Dartan was here!

Don't worry guys, Dornax will be back. From the quest god post it looked like he was due for a break like Corth and a few others have done in the past. BTW, Brian is the coolest name ever.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Vena
Sojourner

Postby Vena » Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:36 am

I've never posted anything here.
This was worth posting for.. I will miss Brian.

Vena
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:09 am

Caz was here!
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:05 pm

Well, first off I would like to thank all of you who have said such wonderful things to me either via tells or icq or the bbs. It is appreciated and extremely unexpected.

I was unhappy the other day. I was downright pissed, actually. It has happened on occasion, and as much as I would love to say I bite my tongue everytime it happens, I don't.

That day felt like a microcosm of many days of late. They simply were not rewarding for the effort I was putting in. I know, somewhat absurd to think of putting effort into a game, but I did. The Jot thing was pretty lame, in my opinion. I thought the rules should have been changed when the trolls were added to astral and I still do. It boggles my mind how the only people who
actually earned their way to finding invasion loaded (killing the trolls to check) were the ones who ended up having to leave. Stupid doesn't begin to describe that logic, or lack thereof. (end rant, I had to!)

I love this place. Its a home of sorts for me and I am sure it is for many others. It certainly isn't the game or the challenge that keeps us old fogeys coming back for more. It is the people and the atmosphere that those people generate. (People meaning players and staff combined, not separate.) This has been and will continue to be one of my favorite hobbies. I've met some of the absolute coolest people in this game, and I certainly don't want to let them go.. again.

I didn't post a farewell, because that really isn't me or my style. I'm a very emotional person and player, as I am sure many can attest. I'm not perfect and I really hope I did not ever offend or hurt anyone in my time here. I always set out to enhance this game, because I feel as players we either make the game more attractive or less appealing. I hope I helped you guys have fun. I wasn't the best at strategy and I wasn't the fastest to rares and I'm not the best at hardcore zoning, but I think I was a party to some of the most fun groups here. I'm stepping away. I don't know how much nor for how long. I've got a life as does everyone else, and sometimes those things need to be addressed. This wasn't a rash decision as some may think. Others saw it coming for quite a while. I will be back, though, how often or when I do not know.

I would like to thank all of you who made this such an amazing time for me. I've met some fantastic people, and I would like to thank them all. I do not have the time or the energy to do a composite thank you to everybody, so I will only name a few very quickly.

Verarb - you rock, 'nuff said, best person and player I've ever had the privilege to play alongside of, and one I would jump at the chance to meet someday. rar.

Corth - we made really good friends, but probably better enemies. I learned a lot from you, and I had a great time even though at times it went a little overboard.

Miax - Thank you for the mud. Thank you for the opportunities I gained in this game of 0s and 1s, and for bringing it back for all of us to go out on our own terms.

Yayaril - You crack me up, man. I won't tell anyone what a nice guy you really are underneath those jagged barbs you toss around so casually like holy hand grenades of antioch (Monty Python!). It was fun from start to finish with you, man, and I had fun being yer newbie accomplice.

Thanks. I'll see many of you soon.

Always,
Brian

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:17 pm

Yay for Dornax!

BTW Thanks for pulling our asses out of the fire in Jot :P

Kallinar sends you sprawling with a powerful YAY!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:01 pm

Snicker, we were already doing jot when it booted. I guess we could have went and smited the trolls rq...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sat Jun 22, 2002 1:06 pm

But corth, then you would have missed out on all the wonderful death you got to experience :P

Cackle followed by a comfort

Kallinar sends you sprawling with a powerful deathmem!
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sat Jun 22, 2002 4:03 pm

Its been a blast grouping with ya and everything. I have to say that you have me the opportunity to progress my playing ability more than any other incarnation of the mud, and more than that Its been damned fun.
We'll always have a spot open for you Brian.
*hugs*

[This message has been edited by rylan (edited 06-22-2002).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Jun 22, 2002 9:09 pm

I didn't have any particular problem with you guys being in Jot at the reboot, because you weren't told to leave before the reboot.

That was the problem.

A half dozen or so times I've been forced to leave Jot when a reboot was forthcoming, one time invasion loaded the next boot. The point was the Gods didn't force you guys to leave and basically told me better luck next time. Selective enforcement of rules is pretty bad and that was pretty much the final straw for me. If its the same rule for everyone its fine, but that was pretty much a slap in the face.

(Again, it didn't matter which group was on the grid, it could have been evils or a different goodie group, I'd have felt the same way)

I just wanted to clarify why I was pretty irked.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:09 pm

It was an extraordinary situation. I had to reboot the MUD several times throughout that day as we had just added new Bards and they needed some immediate patching.

In such circumstances I don't have the time nor inclination to check every zone for a group, and the Admins have little time to check either as they usually have nearly no notice before emergency rebooting such as was the case that day.

The bottom line is, there was no 'selective enforcement of the rules', and frankly I resent the accusation. There is often a little chaos when a large code module is added, it's just unavoidable.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Jun 22, 2002 10:41 pm

Shrug. You can resent it, it doesn't mean it wasn't true. The staff was alerted as to what happened and my group paid the price. We were the only ones to fight our way into Jot to check invasion and we ended up being the ones who had to leave cuz I was short 3 level 40+ people. (I could have easily gotten to Glammad with the 9 folks I had, by the by).

Would you, as a player who gives their all for a game, want to continue to play somewhere where you have to abide by the rules, but they aren't always enforced and when they aren't, you're told better luck next time?

I'm not saying favoritism was shown any group, only that there was a situation where the rules

1) in the first place made no sense, and the staff had been alerted as to why they were

2) were not upheld when it was shown they were broken (a group basically was able to camp in a zone when they had 5 mins to get out of it, again I am not blaming that group, it is the staff's job to make sure it doesn't happen after all)

If you think that that is a fair playing environment then I don't know what to tell you. If you can't see the issue, then I'm sorry. It was a huge slap in the face to me. It is a huge reason I left and the more I think about it the less the urge is to ever come back.

Bottom line is a rule was broken and the staff didn't care and as a result my friends and I paid the price for it when we pretty much always abide by the rules. So you can resent it all you want, but the real disrespect was shown me and my groupmates, not you, Shevarash.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:24 pm

You have every right to your opinion Jurdex. I am frankly somewhat ignorant of the rules regarding Jot invasions and what not, the only reason for my post was to illustrate the situation around your complaint.

If you feel an Administration decision was in err, the proper recourse is to contact Kiaransalee, kia@sojourn3.org.

------------------
</B>
Bipple
Sojourner

Postby Bipple » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:25 pm

If a group spends a couple hours fighting their way through a zone they shouldn't be forced to leave and start over from scratch simply because there was a reboot. Numerous times I've seen gods go out of their way to help a zone group continue where they left off after a reboot. Standard procedure has always been to find a safe room, wait for reboot, and continue on.
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:38 pm

heh would have been nice this morning after we got to Loki, had a few people die in the room, then had to work our way BACK there with 3 naked group members after the crash. Kost loaded again and stupid dragon was causing a ruckus for us too. Dornax, as I mentioned, pulled our asses out of the fire. Must give props to Fotex for his excellent work as well.

Evils had the same experience in the zone they were doing. Last room, then crash, and have to go thru the whole zone again for cr. Problem for them was that 3 of their Warriors were naked...where we had a naked druid, shaman, and rogue. You evils have my condolences for the long boring drawn out cr you had to do heh.

Kallinar sends you sprawling with a powerful yawn!

[This message has been edited by Kallinar (edited 06-22-2002).]
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sat Jun 22, 2002 11:43 pm

Bipple, the admins have made me leave Jot numerous times for reboots this wipe. That is why I was so irked.

Sheverash, I spoke to Erevan that day. He told me they missed it and better luck next time. What is Kia going to do? The damage was done. I had to leave the zone.

The fact of the matter is the staff was wrong. They were in error. Their error caused my group to miss out on a very fun evening of zoning. I got what amounted to a "that sucks man" from the staff when I inquired about it. The staff knew they goofed. They did nothing about it.

When I flamed Malar about the quest that evening I was wrong. I sent an apology to the staff and to Malar. The reason I did that was because I felt it was the right thing to do. Maybe you guys don't realize how big a deal something like invasion is to us versus the boring everyday zoning we are relegated to all the time. To have it taken away from us through no fault of our own and then those who took it away in error don't even have the decency to correct their mistake or to at least apologize.. well..

You were busy, you were rebooting, etc.. you were still wrong. We are players, but we're also people. We deserve to play this game under the same rules of everyone else. The fact this was NOT addressed just goes to show you that this mud is no different from Toril. Back then the staff would likely have just crashed the mud. Now the staff just sits idle and don't do anything.

Maybe you guys are too out of touch as players to understand where we're coming from. All I know is I deserved a hell of a lot more than a "better luck next time." Not because I ask for special treatment or feel I deserve something more than anyone else. Simply because I'm a person I deserve the same amount of respect that I have in the past afforded you and the staff.

Dornax
Jurdex

------------------
The Raven of Wisdom

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
"My Honor is My Life"

Postby Guest » Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:01 am

Dornax, go on vacation.

Miax
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jun 23, 2002 12:14 am

Honestly I have never heard of a rule that says you need to leave a zone on a reboot. Typically you either do leave the zone, or bring the group to a safe place... but I've never had a god request it. If the gods have told you in the past to leave, that certainly would be out of the ordinary. Either that or I have been completely ignorant of an important rule for a very long time and have been lucky to not have been caught. I'm going start a thread about the invasion rules cause I think you bring up a good point about it, but I think it deserves its own place.

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Jorus
Sojourner

Postby Jorus » Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:14 am

It sounds to me like this "in a zone for reboot" issue could be solved with some sort of coded solution. I'm not sure exactly what. Perhaps add a zone flag, where anyone there at reboot gets sent to their last rent point instead of the same room?

This way, roads and random zones don't get the drawback, but "reboot camping" (or whatever you wanna call it :P) becomes impossible in zones with some marginal cost to get there.

Just an idea, though. And it'd save on having to look for people before a reboot.

Regards,
Jorus
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:29 am

Where's my apology?

Twyl was here.

------------------
Not as lost...

<P:std> lost
You are totally and utterly lost! Next time bring a compass!
< 401h/401H 128v/128V >
<P:std> You receive an ornate compass from Twyl.
You give an ornate compass to Twyl.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:34 am

I've never asked a group to leave a zone for a reboot, nor am I aware of any such rule. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, or you haven't been asked to leave before, but..shrug - it's news to me, and I probably do about 75% of the reboots we have.

More often than not I go out of my way to make sure my reboots don't interrupt zoning.

Anyways, I once again suggest you talk to Kiaransalee for clarification on this matter.

------------------
</B>

[This message has been edited by Shevarash (edited 06-22-2002).]
Rokub
Sojourner

Postby Rokub » Sun Jun 23, 2002 3:27 am

To: Miax,Shev,Erevan, Ect. Gods... Dornax has been asked to leave jot before when a god was rebooting the mud. This has happened more then once before.

I think you as gods need to set forth a rule either 'you will never ask somoene to leave a zone when you reboot' OR 'everyone must leave zones before a reboot'

This should be posted on the gods boards, As well as somewhere on the forums and or inside the game.

I think this is very fair to ask. It will help clearup this situation for further happenings.

Thanks,

Rokub

------------------
Malacar says 'And Isma wonders why he is universally hated.'
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Jun 23, 2002 5:39 am

So the gods are supposed to police every zone on a reboot and take valuable time to do that.

Thumbs down. If a group is in a zone before a boot, and has sufficient force, why the christ shouldn't they be allowed to continue? They would have been in there if it hadn't rebooted, so it seems only fair.

------------------
Malacar - omg ymir!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:01 am

gods got a group hiding in silence room before gatehouse pre-reboot once.

but agree with Corth I have never heard of such a rule. I sure its handled case by case. like if a group asks to hold reboot while they finish zone then they wanna get into spot to twink the zone after reboot. I've seen that kabashed as well as groups asked to leave when gods have given significant advance warning of reboot.
Waelos
Sojourner

Postby Waelos » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:00 am

Uh. If Jurdex was ever asked to leave Jot because of a reboot. . . I'd ask to have whatever Imm that was tested for crack. . . thats just whacked. Never, ever have I seen or heard of a group being asked to leave a zone for a reboot. Most groups leave if they're in a tight spot, or go to a safe room if they want to continue. . . maybe if it is a BRAND new zone undergoing tweaks would a group be asked to leave. . .

Maybe the times you left you were under a misunderstanding? Reboots happpen mid zone all the time. we grumble, panic, sometimes say 'omg cool! 2 [whateveritemisclose]!' That was just the risk/reward of getting a reboot midzone.

Perhaps Jot was an exception? never heard of it. . . but could be. Shouldn't be. I mean, why punish someone for doing the zone? Let the group decide if they're gonna risk reassembling in zone. It is not like they know the emergency reboot schedule and can hang out waiting for it at tree. They're in zone, doing it legitimately, let them continue.

Not sure what happened here. . .but something isn't right =)

Jurd. . .rest a bit, come back. You're a lifer, like me, like alot of us. See u in a while mango =)

Lost

------------------
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:07 am

Kiaransalee has always made our groups leave zones we were in the middle of if he was going to reboot. I haven't seen any other gods that did that. He even transed our entire group from near padashaw to the outhouse one time.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:07 am

jot invasion is always the exception.

we've all been in themiddle of a zone at one point when a reboot comes. we've all had a few items doubled when it came time to bid.

but not invasion. why? because of the greed, and the insanity that the greed breeds, that runs rampant here.

if they are asked to leave it's called unfair.

if they are not asked to leave, it's called favoritism.

quite frankly if i was the area/code god needing to reboot i'd prob be of the 'get out' when it comes to jot because of how dramatically it is altered if invasion loads. but i wouldnt ask more t han once. ask, then trans your asses elsewhere.

i started a thread a day or two ago asking for the gods to crack down, and you guys poo poo'd it. now you're asking for some policies to be set in stone.

and even w hen they are, t here will be a LOT Of threads bashing it.

oh well. the game is full of and is run by humans. deal with it.

dont attempt to spout unfair though. some of us have seen more unfair shit than you can believe in this game.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jun 23, 2002 8:14 am

Some god needs to clear up what the rule is.. I've never heard about anyone being forced to leave a zone during a reboot until this thread... if some groups are getting this enforced against them, and others aren't, that is unfair. (sorry teyaha).

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>Well, first off I would like to thank all of you who have said such wonderful things to me either via tells or icq or the bbs. It is appreciated and extremely unexpected.

Thanks. I'll see many of you soon.

Always,
Brian
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm touched that Dornax's absence is so widely noted. Welcome back, Dornax.

------------------
"All yer asses are mine, prepare to die mightily by my sadism!" - Malar

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:49 am

Again, every circumstances behind when a reboot happens is different. So comparing "This is what happened when So-in-so did a reboot 6 months back" is different than what happened last month, last week, last night or last hour.

Yes, I have asked groups to leave a zone before a reboot. Yes, I've waited for group to get out of a zone before a reboot. Yes, I've booted on groups in the middle of a zone. Yes, I've even moved groups out. It all depends on what is being rebooted for, when, who is where, why, etc etc etc.

Again, it goes down to the personal decision of the individual god that's doing the reboot whether or not they want to boot on the group in the middle of a zone, move them out, or wait. And a lot also depends on the urgency and the purpose of the change.

The hard and fast rule on this is there's no hard and fast rule. Again, it's at the discretion of the individual handling the reboot how they want to go about it.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jun 24, 2002 4:06 am

With all due respect, you're having a hissy fit Jurdex. Step back and read your posts from a staff position instead of from a player/zone leader position. The gods KNOW what it's like to zone. Telling them that they're out of touch with the players is ludicrous.

Like, what exactly are you hoping for here? Kia to say "I'm sorry?" You know nothing beyond that is going to be done, or can be done.

You missed out on one invasion on one night. So you can't do the rareload zone. Go catch a flick or something instead. How many people in your guild desperately need invasion equipment? How many spell or rareload quests do you need invasion to complete? How many people in your group had never done invasion before? Point is, it was just another zone on just another night; you're one of the top three leaders on the mud, you'll do invasion again next week and life will go on.

Sucks that you quit over this. I know the emotion this game brews, but c'mon, this is some shit, dude. So 100% of the rules aren't 100% consistant 100% of the time. Shit happens, we all deal with it.

- Ragorn
NEVER done invasion.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”