CANCUN

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Myzic
Sojourner

CANCUN

Postby Myzic » Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:29 pm

I am leaving for Cancun, MX and was wondering if anyone has any advice for that part of the world? Anyone ever been there? Drink the water or not drink the water? Any good clubs?

I am taking my whole family - Wife and 3 kids. Flying out of the states. We are spending 4th of July there.

------------------
MyZiC

[This message has been edited by Myzic (edited 06-23-2002).]
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 1:55 pm

well you are traveling with family so the advice i have wont apply (i'd hope)

snicker

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Myzic
Sojourner

Postby Myzic » Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:10 pm

Yeah, but my kids are staying with family in CANCUN.. so just wife and I.... Nude beaches are going to be tough to deal with let me tell ya... NOT!

------------------
MyZiC
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:38 pm

I haven't stayed very much in Cancun, but I've found some nice places nearby. My favorite is this town some 50 miles south named Playa Del Carmen. Unlike Cancun its not a complete tourist trap... but on the other hand there are restaurants and other facilities there that you can use. Also, the ferry to Cozumel, itself a really cool area, departs from there. The ferry is a little more than an hour and not too expensive.

I wouldn't suggest drinking the water.. hell I wouldn't suggest eating at any place that doesn't pretty much cater exclusively to tourists. I had a few local tacos and was hurting for a good couple of weeks. Just be careful and you should be fine. One mistake people make is using tap water to brush their teeth. Get some bottled water for that...

Corth

------------------
Goddamned slippery mage.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:43 pm

I recently had a discussion with my co-workers about that.. how do the mexicans deal with the water? do they build up an immunity? Or are they just sick all the time? do the ones with money drink/use bottled water all the time? hmmmz..
Snurgt
Sojourner

Postby Snurgt » Sun Jun 23, 2002 2:47 pm

Another mistake is using *ice* in your bottled drinks Image
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 4:49 pm

I went to cancun on spring break senior year with some friends.. was an awesome time.

Which hotel/resort are you staying at? I stayed at the Kin Ha villas near the nw point of the island. Some of them have water treatment, but be sure to ask the front desk when you check in. Theres plenty of places to buy bottled water.. get a few gallons. Also bring a box of immodiumAD tablets just to be safe. We didn't have any problems. They put enough booze in the drinks to kill anything anyway :P

There are a couple open-air type mexican places near some shopping areas that are good to eat at.. just stay away from the little street vendor type places.

For clubs.. depends on what you like. In the nw point are theres a club called Daddy O's, they got rockin laser light stuff and dance music.
Pat O'Briens usually has differant themed stuff every night.. that place is a lot of fun. Go to Senior Frogs too, they're pretty cool
Most of the party type stuff is in the nw area, but there is also some cool stuff in Flamingo Plaza.. I think thats where there is a big open air shopping area with a little water canal.. its damned cool at night.. That might La Isla Plaza which is farther east of flamingo.. one of those.
Use the local buses for transportation.. they're cheap and get you everyplace fast. The taxis are suicidal :P
Get a map of the island when you arrive.

Have a great time!!! Post some pics when you et back Image
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:28 pm

the first time i went to the middle east with the Navy .. they gave us this big lecture... what we could and couldn't eat/drink ...

bottled water, bottled soda (no drink machine stuff).. and yes bottled water for brushing teeth

fruit ... nothing with a very thin peel (over there they use human waste as manures as well as animal .. and they dont always clean it) and gee in the nicer hotels they leave fruit baskets with apples in them Image

coffee and tea .. should be fine because the water is heated ..

no ice cubes ...

milk .. not sure ...

don't know how much of that applies in a country like Mexico .. or a city like Cancuun that deals almost entirely with tourists... but not bad advice anyway

locals do develop immunities to things.. thats why they arent affected like *we* are ...

these same practices were upheld even in Puerto Rico ... it was very common for young sailors with the *ten feet tall and bulletproof* mentality to develop the *crud* by not using precautions ...

anyway have fun!!!! take lotsa pictures of nekkid menz and send them all to me!!!! you can keep the nekkid womenz pics to wank by Image

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 6:52 pm

Oh yeah.. when you go swimming, the ocean side is nicer (and cleaner) than the interior lagoon side.
Slavan
Sojourner

Postby Slavan » Sun Jun 23, 2002 7:35 pm

Becareful with ice on the airplane too. I was perfectly fine till my flight home, thought I was in the clear. NOT
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jun 23, 2002 9:40 pm

learn from the Chinese.

Boil the water.

------------------
"All yer asses are mine, prepare to die mightily by my sadism!" - Malar
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Jun 25, 2002 4:21 pm

Coba tour was cool for unrestored Mayan city, Tulum/Xul-Ha is restored Mayan city and Xul-Ha is water park (snorkelling and such) I highly recommend it, and swimming with the dolphins, magical experience.

Chichinitza (spelling) is restored Mayan city with some spectacular information on how cool they were with math knowledge, but more touristy.

We stayed between Playa del Carmen and Cancun at an all inclusive place called El Dorado Royalle, was spectacular, in spite of a Tropical Storm passing about 100 miles south of us.

Don't eat the local food, or drink the water, the above advice was very good, inclusive of brushing teeth with bottled water.

I brought my camel back with me, and this time of the year, if you're going on hikes/tours like Coba and such, I'd advise it.

All in all, really friendly people, beautiful scenery, great history, and cool stuff to do and relax.

Toplack

------------------
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Tue Jun 25, 2002 6:02 pm

Definitely take to heart the advice about water/ice etc.. and if you do have to use it, BOIL.

But to avoid the local cuisine (while safest) could deprive you and your wife of some very pleasant meals.

I don't know about most of your experiences, but my family went down to Ensenada every summer, and I've been to Puerto Vallarta and Mazatlan and enjoyed many meals at street-side vendors and food carts. An impromptu fish taco in a shack right off the ocean is one of my fondest memories of all the trips. - It's also how I ended up with my first 'real' taco...potatos and gristle, well, it was different.

The water will most likely get ya, though, so make sure you only order drinks in a bottle.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
rachaz
Sojourner

Postby rachaz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:09 am

Take the advice everyone is giving you or dont, I have travelled through mexico as well as stayed there for an extended period of time (one of my best friends lives in Mexico City). I do not have a huge glass of tap water when I travel through mexico but I am not so careful. I eat local food, etc. It affects some people differently than others.

Rach

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”