Firefox 4.0

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Firefox 4.0

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Anyone else using it yet? Kind of hard to get used to the new positioning...
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
ssar
Sojourner

Re: Firefox 4.0

Postby ssar » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:09 pm

Yea, just installed it.

Agree, the layout is a bit hard to get used to, tho it is now more similar to Opera's.
Though you can right-click on the menu bar at the top and deselect "Tabs on Top" to move the Tabs bar back to being just above the web pages yet below the Bookmarks & Navigation bars.

I prefer the Home button over the left hand side where it used to be, rather than the far right hand side by default now too, just moved it back after choosing "Customize".

It found 1 of my Add-Ons to be incompatible & disabled it (AVG Safe Search) and whilst it offered to search for a compatible version it was unable to find one.

It also doesn't show (at least by default, cannot find a menu option for it either) the secure page lock icon for applicable pages any longer, wheras Firefox 3.6.15 does down the bottom right hand corner. Apparently on secured pages the company name will appear before the URL with a green or purpley blue box/background which you can then click on for more details. Green is verified certs, purpley blue is unverified certs.
So that works.

It also seems to be missing the green progress loading bar down the bottom right that indicated page load progress, I quite like those. Apparently you can install an add-on "Status-4-Evar: Status bar widgets and progress indicators for Firefox 4+" which works for this.

I'm reading quite a few reports of relatively blurry text as a result of the new version and suggested tweak involving hardware acceleration or something - text in my setup seems to be a tad crisper than before, if anything.

It does seem to fun a little faster, which is good.
BEER
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:10 pm

Just downloaded it myself. I don't understand why they got rid of the cancel loading page button that used to be up top. Very, very weird.
Dugmaren GCC: 'My goal as an areas staff member is to introduce you all to the great zone I call "outside”

Shevarash GCC: 'Funny - sometimes we do stuff like that. Add in some neat thing like weight-dependant stun, and THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE FOR A DECADE.'
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:12 pm

the 'go' button (to the right of the address bar) alternates between go (when you typed something in), refresh (when you have a page loaded) and stop loading (during the loading process)
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:01 pm

Nogs Kindi, I found out where it was when I was using it more that day. A little bit more intuitive the way they have it set up now.
Dugmaren GCC: 'My goal as an areas staff member is to introduce you all to the great zone I call "outside”

Shevarash GCC: 'Funny - sometimes we do stuff like that. Add in some neat thing like weight-dependant stun, and THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE FOR A DECADE.'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:35 pm

So far, so good. Can tell it's faster when originally loading pages. The home button on the right is retarded. I can understand why they went with no status bar on the bottom, but meh. Not sure about that one. Looks good as well, and all my addons worked. The home button, which I use often, blows ass on the right, only complaint so far.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:24 am

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:So far, so good. Can tell it's faster when originally loading pages. The home button on the right is retarded. I can understand why they went with no status bar on the bottom, but meh. Not sure about that one. Looks good as well, and all my addons worked. The home button, which I use often, blows ass on the right, only complaint so far.

You can move where the home button is located by customizing the toolbar.
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:37 pm

Yeah, I figured that out last night, thank god. But now I've been getting a bunch of massive graphic glitches when using it. Completely random.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”