NonProfit

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Daz
Sojourner

NonProfit

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 8:43 pm

Is anyone here familiar with nonprofit organizations, particularly on the east coast? I read an article the other day in MIT's TR magazine, relating to other countries who lack the computer access and training that we take for granted. I know with my experience with 501c3 npo's that there is a large amount of resources available to american charities that are interested in promoting growth and expanding the user base of technically literate persons in other countries. Is anyone aware of such a NPO on the east coast that works to provide computers and training to 'technologically impaired' economies?

If there are no such organizations existing . . . I may create one myself. Seriously, this seems like something I would love to work with, providing materials and training for those who don't have the same priveleges that I admittedly take for granted. Any information would help - just post here, 1) I can read from work, 2) my home connection/machine seem to be acting stupid.

------------------
-Daz Proudwolf, Tapestry Pirate
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
FS: All my irrelevant psychology textbooks.
Auril
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Auril » Wed Jun 26, 2002 9:54 pm

Logic Box Incorporated takes discarded computers, rebuilds them, and I believe sells them to places that need them. They might be able to help you out, no idea.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:14 pm

I don't want to give out dated, rebuilt equipment. I mean take cutting edge technology, donated by leading tech companies (as tax write-offs, computers are better than cash - you donate at cost, write off value) and take them to places that can not normally afford these luxuries, and show them how to use it. shrug.

------------------
-Daz "<^> (*¿*) <^>" Proudwolf

[This message has been edited by Daz (edited 06-26-2002).]
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:31 pm

Okay, let's see... they can't afford food, let alone electricity, most of the time...

Feed them first. Once they can feel like they know where the next meal is coming from then you can worry about education. Start with the Food Bank, work up to the technology.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 10:58 pm

obviously you don't know what you are talking about, but thank you for sharing an uneducated opinion with me.

and just where do you get your information on the state of living in foreign countries? sally struthers' commercials?

------------------

Postby Guest » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:02 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
<B>obviously you don't know what you are talking about, but thank you for sharing an uneducated opinion with me.

and just where do you get your information on the state of living in foreign countries? sally struthers' commercials?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think the intention is correct. We should attempt to help those countries whose population is having major problems with basic living conditions: clean water, access to good nutrition (or even to food at all), basic education, and the like. Certainly there are countries where these things are readily available. But even in the US, not everyone can say that they are. Until we can resolve these issues (the good nutrition element is critical to learning) giving out or selling at highly discounted rates any computer equipment wouldn't be at the top of my list of priorities.

[This message has been edited by Iyachtu (edited 06-26-2002).]
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:20 pm

think of it this way Daz.. the people who dont have computers would care less if they got a dinosaur .. as long as it was improvement over what they have... tho the technology may be yesterday .. its better than last decade.... (also some people's handoffs are yesterday because they need to keep up with today .. so some may not be as outdated as you believe)

people who *have not* arent as picky as those who *have*

i think your idea is a great one .. especially for underprivleged children who do not know how to pull themselves up and out ....

there is an abandoned 7-11 near my hpouse .. a PERFECT location for a teen center ... i want to do it SOO bad .. my kids think its a great idea too .. but my thing is the same as daz's .. where to get the funding .. etc ...

there are tons of food banks .. people always want to feed people thrift stores and charity organizations.... but they dont seem to want to educate them .. this idea is a very good one

(course my idea for a teen center isnt for a npo... but still..)

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:21 pm

OK, i want to thank everyone for, yet again, not reading what i have posted, and taking the liberty of putting words in my mouth.

at no point did i mention crawling into jungles and having hamster powered generators run tandy machines that we could use to teach jungle dwelling savages basic.

jesus christ

i am talking about helping educate countries where technology is available, but outdate, undocumented, and expensive. i dont want to sell a damn thing (note the subject? non profit?) these people have equipment, and are looking to learn how to use it - but they don't have the resources to do so. there is no one to teach them, no stores to buy the latest hardware, assuming that it could be afforded.

i want to restate my appreciation for being ignored.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:23 pm

by 'having the equipment' before you jump down my throat again, and i have to vomit again, i am talking about unreliable dialup connections working with outdate machines. but it is still something. its what they have, they use it. people with the drive to learn and work with such resources could provide invaluable assistance to the community with real training and equipment.

------------------
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:26 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Karikhan:
<B>i think your idea is a great one .. especially for underprivleged children who do not know how to pull themselves up and out ....

there is an abandoned 7-11 near my hpouse .. a PERFECT location for a teen center ... i want to do it SOO bad .. my kids think its a great idea too .. but my thing is the same as daz's .. where to get the funding .. etc ...

one - i dont give a shit about american kids. every kid in our country has access to a computer. they choose not to use it. fuck them.

two - when did i say funding is a problem? no it isnt. the problem is finding people who share a passion to help and the skillset to contribute. money is the easy part. give me 8 dedicated employees for any npo and i can get you 7 figures+ funding within a year. those 8 employees are harder to find than the 7 figure check.

------------------
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:11 am

Actually I've worked in non-profit sector for quite a few years, but thanks for your jumping to the conclusion that I'm totally ignorant. Appreciate those wonderful words, you're obviously too kind.
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ashiwi:
<B>Okay, let's see... they can't afford food, let alone electricity, most of the time...

Feed them first. Once they can feel like they know where the next meal is coming from then you can worry about education. Start with the Food Bank, work up to the technology.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

at what point in my original post did i refer to the save-a-child culture that you are addressing?

------------------
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:00 am

heh Daz don't let these guys piss you off. your first post had good intention and after people started posting u got mad. you're going to be shot down alot now after your previous posts so try to keep that in consideration.

------------------
Dartan group-says 'Malacar I'm going to dropkick you for starting that omg Ymir thing'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:06 am

one post per topic . . . one post per topic . .

------------------
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:17 am

yeah i agree with daz here.. You can eat bugs to survive, but you can't make computers out of straw and bugs.. lets give 'em computers! and a lot of countries do have food/electricty but aren't really up to even the 90's in computers.. would be a huge part of revolutionizing a countries industry.. funding for NPOs usually comes from donations and feds also help 'em out..

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Jun 27, 2002 2:17 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>heh Daz don't let these guys piss you off. your first post had good intention and after people started posting u got mad. you're going to be shot down alot now after your previous posts so try to keep that in consideration.

Cough...

------------------
Ensis Inferni
Bish Enterprises Inc.
All Rights Reserved
Copyright 1999 Fydollaho Productions.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:35 am

wow see what happens when people support you?? you act like a total ass...

i said i LIKED your idea ... for ONCE

i LIKE the idea of educating people ....

get a grip .. get some drugs .. get some counselling ... SOMETHING!

MY idea is also helping people .. but selfishly mine is for profit ... i want to make a center where teens can hang out and dance .. play arcade games, pool, whatever .. get a bite to eat .... all safe and secure .. inexpensive .. etc ... but damn i wanna make a buck..... shrug ..

------------------
Ambar -= Big Pimpin' =-
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:46 am

I ran an organization like what you mention. the idea is great, the reality doesn't work. your motivation will not be enough to build that. you want to make money helping people . . . guess what - there are people who want to do that for free, and they will get a helluva lot more money than you will, because they will be required as an npo to use that money to actually help the kids there. what motivation does any source have to finance a charitable organization that is legally classified as a money making entity? you arent even a tax write off.

------------------
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:03 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Daz:
i dont give a shit about american kids. every kid in our country has access to a computer. they choose not to use it. fuck them.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

American kids..fuck 'em.

Hey, you could use that as your slogan! Nothing shows your commitment to teaching the underprivledged like cursing children and dissing your country! You'll have the donations pouring in, baby! Yeah!

And when you get on Oprah, make sure to show them this thread! They love seeing how these organizations got started! You'll have her crying in no time!

She's always crying! What a softy! Image

------------------
Tog Vicious
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:27 am

jesus christ people, i hate kids. yes, are you happy? i laugh when i see kids playing in the street, and i smile when i see a tractor trailer driving recklessly in a school zone. i hate parents as much or more than i hate children. being an american, i am allowed to do this, no matter what opinion you have about me. chances are - if i don't know you, i hate you, too.

i dont care if the whole world starves to death, unlike you 'save the world' pagaent contestants - i dont give a damn. let them starve. however, those people who are aware of what computers can offer the world, and want to contribute - should be able to do. if their child starves to death paying for the computer, i don't care. an education is worth more than a child's life, easily. 2 uneducated urchins < 1 contributing member of society. i wish we had abortion vending machines. i want suicide pills in the candy machines at grocery stores. every single whining, unrelated post on this thread about starving children does not matter shit to me.

i care about computers and innovation.
impoverished children can kiss my ass and die.

------------------
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:40 am

First I think it is disgusting that Daz posts something that he sees as beneficial to people, and everyone jumps on him and flames him with ignorant black and white posts. There are classes in society that could benefit greatly from computer training, not just economically but in various social groupings. If you don't want to help Daz to help people who could benefit from greater access to technology training because then go do something constructive like write a letter of support to the charities which help the starving that you point out exist instead of flaming Daz.

Non-profit organisations. I really cannot give you the specific detail on this in the USA, however I have set up one in Australia. You need to love what you are doing first. Here there are two types, the regular group of people getting together to help someone, and those that go incorporated legally so as to have greater access to government funding and general greater respect. I would suggest that you find out how other organisations have been set up in similar fields, or if you truly have found a niche here then just look at your state / federal legislation on !profit organisations. Most probably you will need a charter of some sort, registration, public liabilty insurance of some sort, a set of rules based on model ones and a organizational structure for your organisation. In Australia the minimum number of people to be part of an organisation (members) is 7 to go incorporated. Usually this is the lowest posible number required to form a respectable quorum at a meeting.

Great Idea Daz. I'll have a look on the net to see if I can get you some pointers but in oz not sure if I am the best person to do this, talk to someone who has set up an organizatrion.

PS. Dont tell anyone that you think impoverished kids can kiss your ass and die when setting this up.

------------------
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:55 am

well daz, if you get the funding to pay me even semi-decent wages ill be all for helping you out... i know how to build 'em.. software.. programming.. whatava, i can do it.. Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:44 am

I have experience in the NPO sector. I have created 1 of my own, and I worked for a while doing paperwork and corporate structuring of 4-5 other tax-exempt 501c3's. Luckily, I have been getting more positive feedback on other bbs's that I handle. Thank you to everyone who read this and understood and appreciated what I try to do.

Mishre, non profit does not mean you do it for free, it means that you get paid 'Reasonable Compensation' - what you would make doing your work for a company, you are entitled to that while working for a NPO. The main difference for a tax-exempt is that we do not declare profit after revenue to our shareholders.

------------------
Izizimmez
Sojourner

Postby Izizimmez » Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:30 pm

I'm sorry Daz.

I didn't think you'd take me so seriously. I really don't think you hate kids...well I didn't. You need to be more specific when you're being sarcastic...I hope you were. Image I guess I need to be more specific too. I was just joking.

Again. Sorry.

P.S. I agree with everything that Sarell said. Especially the P.S. part about not talking about hating kids. That was what I was saying (in a funny sarcastic way) in my post. You have a great idea and seemingly good intentions, but some of your posts here (while I suppose were in response to negative feedback) weren't all that great. Good luck. Image

------------------
Tog Vicious

[This message has been edited by Izizimmez (edited 06-27-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Thu Jun 27, 2002 6:37 pm

Daz,

Interesting Idea, you'll want to check what tech is approved for overseas use by the US Govt. in some cases they restrict things like 128 bit encoding an such. I know that eastern europe is setting up wireless networks and in some cases foregoing the wireline infrastructure, something to keep in mind if you target that area.

As to your replies to everyone who may have either tried to add, or misconstrued your post. Please refrain from degrading them or their posts, they didn't target you, so why target them specifically. Have a sense of decorum please.

I have to say that your idea is good, but the way you've carried out everything but your initial post was what I would construe as unacceptable, and unwarranted behavior.

Please be a bit kinder in the future, you catch more flies w/ honey than vinegar.

Toplack

------------------
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:38 am

only one way to settle dis.

To the Arena!

------------------
Deshana group-says 'guys he's a lil ditzy today'
Daz
Sojourner

Postby Daz » Fri Jun 28, 2002 3:39 am

Please, Turg and Turxx are cool - Caz tells you 'I don't arena'

wusses

------------------
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:09 pm

heh im such a wuss that i dont even have to go to arena to prove im a wuss.

and cool sentiment Daz, my question is this. If there are organizations that exist that do this kind of stuff on the west coast but not the east cost... WHY would you want to "create" one yourself? I

ts Non-profit, you would be far wiser to utilize the network, experience, and name of another established organization than create one from scratch. They may not give you much in support, but even a name and some method will be tremendous. Unless fame and recognition is your desire.

Does the wheel really need to be re-invented by you?

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”