Organizing for America, in our schools

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Organizing for America, in our schools

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:39 pm

This is about k-12 students protesting.

First, whats the deal with this being accepted. Do college kids have a right to demontrate on campus, no they have to get a permission... so why should k-12 students be able to? Why do we have metal detectors on doors, police officers with guns patrolling the hallways and then just allow them to walk out? The need to maintain order appears to be selective in whether they approve of the cause. Lastly I'll add this, what if the students were walking out to support a ban against gay marriage? Do you suppose the rhetoric and action would be decidedly different? What if a teacher was suggesting to students they walk out over the issue, would district officials retract their threat to suspend the kids because a teacher suggested it? I wonder what would happen to teachers.

Second, what the hell right do teachers have to be involved in politicizing our children? What are they doing inciting the youth to walk out? Are teachers an extension of organizing for america, an extension of union organizers? Sure not all teachers do it and every teacher who does do it will claim they did nothing and it was all championed by the students but we all know that's not true all the time; they are influencing it at a minimum.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/1 ... 50793.html

District officials originally said they wouldn't punish students for walking out, calling it a "learning process," according to KHOU. But starting Monday, administrators attempted to put a halt to protests by telling students they'd receive tickets for school disruption if the walkouts continued.

Aurora school officials had originally told students they could be suspended and barred from prom for participating in demonstrations, but then they retracted the statement after learning teachers may have urged the kids to demonstrate. But students were still upset.
and tonights winner in the Toril EQ lottery is demi belt and skull earring!
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: Organizing for America, in our schools

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:22 am

If you need children to make your point, it was stupid as hell in the first place.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 pm

I didn't read the article and I don't really care about this. I just stopped by to say that I get tired of reading thread after thread where kiryan posts some news article and then pretends the reaction would be totally different if it were about a pro-conservative issue.

Persecution complex. Sigh... so many Christians, so few lions.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:55 pm

<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:44 pm

You know that graphic is funny considering Kifle just posted a research article indicating a fundamental decline in judeochristian religious affiliation in America. In fact it made some claims that basically as much as 60% of various segments of the population aren't religious anymore.

Its funny how libs claim christians are a majority or a minority depending on their agenda.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:00 pm

It went from 8% agnostic to 15% agnostic. There's still 85% of you out there. The article bemoans their not going to Church, but that doesn't mean they don't consider themselves Christian. For that matter, I remember you saying the Church was wrong on it's interpretation of the Bible and the voice in your head gave you the right interpretation, so maybe the 90% abandoning the church are simple ALSO being "talked to." Which, in my book, makes crazies like you the majority.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:51 pm

kiryan wrote:You know that graphic is funny considering Kifle just posted a research article indicating a fundamental decline in judeochristian religious affiliation in America. In fact it made some claims that basically as much as 60% of various segments of the population aren't religious anymore.

Its funny how libs claim christians are a majority or a minority depending on their agenda.

And you just got done claiming that 80% of America believes in god.

It's funny how neocons claim christians are a majority or a minority depending on their agenda.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:48 pm

I still maintain 80% of America is Christian. Maybe you failed your reading check? Where do I claim that Christians are a minority.

Sarvis good point. I stand corrected on the discrepancy between the figures.

Also, I wouldn't go so far as to say the church is "wrong" on its interpretation. Its generally more like subleties in scripture that are revealed to you based on your specific circumstances. It could be finding outright fault with a teaching, but usually its just teachings that you specifically need.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:07 pm

So someone explain to me why its ok for a 3rd grader to be mobilized into an activist by the school and her teachers? Or is this the well thought out position of a 3rd grader on education funding?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/06/0 ... 72250.html

RALEIGH, N.C. -- A North Carolina lawmaker doesn't think it was right for his daughter and her third-grade class to write to him and other elected officials protesting possible cuts in state education spending.

Republican state Rep. Mike Stone says his daughter asked in her note to "please raise the budget, dad" and help keep two teacher assistants employed.

Republican lawmakers and Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue are at odds over the budget that is on her desk to either sign or veto.Some in education say the proposed spending plan could eliminate 9,300 positions in the public schools. Republicans have said those numbers are exaggerated.

Lee County Schools Superintendent Jeff Moss told WRAL-TV he didn't see the writing exercise as a problem.

Moss said students in other schools wrote to lawmakers and Perdue

Return to “Current Events & Politics”