Reconciling God and Obama

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Reconciling God and Obama

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:12 am

I'm wondering how the liberals on this forum get past Obama the Christian? Can you finally bring yourself to criticize him for his religious delusions?

http://www.politico.com/politico44/perm ... adf4e.html

President Obama tells Christian leaders at the Easter Prayer Breakfast that nothing gives him more perspective than the Bible

== i wonder, did god tell him to attack libya?

President Obama told Christian leaders at the White House that the Bible gives him perspective more than anything else, including his family.

== wait a spiritual being (abeit through a book) gives him more perspective than his family? Isn't that crazy town in your guys book?

“Children help do that. A strong spouse helps do that. But nothing beats scripture and the reminder of the eternal.”

== there it is again, complete subservience to the awesome authority of the best selling piece of fiction ever written... right guys?
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Re: Reconciling God and Obama

Postby Disoputlip » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:56 pm

I think you have to take the context into perspective. This was a breakfast for christians.

If it had been a breakfast for another group, then he would proberbly have said something different about how young/veterans/old/teachers/etc. are the most important in the world.

I assume McCain would do the same. And he would also be in Libya right now if he was president.

I am not american, and thus didn't vote, but I think he was the best candidate, and that was not because of his religion, although his religion doesn't bother me in the same way it bothered me with Bush.

I think a good Bush bible quote is: If they are not with us, then they are against us.

That quote is true for 3 of the 4 gospels. In the last gospel, I think it is Johannes, then the quote is completly the opposite. So there is a very broad definition inside that book.

I also heard the Obama reads Nietzsche, just like Hitler, but I hope there is a difference between them.( To me Nietzsche is two authers though; the young and the old.)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:05 pm

kiryan wrote:== wait a spiritual being (abeit through a book) gives him more perspective than his family? Isn't that crazy town in your guys book?

Actually he said the BOOK gives him perspective, not the Deity. Atheists gain perspective through books too, there's this whole field called Philosophy. Plato, Aristotle, Nietzsche...

That said, we know Obama is a Christian. In fact, we know it's basically impossible to get elected in this country without being a Christian. BUT, a Christian who says he reads the Bible is about 5,000,000,000 times better than one who claims God told him to invade a country.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm

Sarvis, I think the key point here is he said "MORE" perspective than anything else... in a book that liberals and aethiests roundly criticize for being pure poppy cock.

You can't get out of this by saying oh he just said the Bible. The Bible = God's word in most judeo christian religions... not just a book... and Obama has identified himself as a Christian.

You seriously can't be standing by your rebuttal can you?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:31 pm

kiryan wrote:Sarvis, I think the key point here is he said "MORE" perspective than anything else... in a book that liberals and aethiests roundly criticize for being pure poppy cock.

You can't get out of this by saying oh he just said the Bible. The Bible = God's word in most judeo christian religions... not just a book... and Obama has identified himself as a Christian.

You seriously can't be standing by your rebuttal can you?

So what? I've gotten more perspective from reading The Game than anything else. Does that mean I'm a master pick-up artist? And we don't criticize the Bible for being pure poppy cock, many atheists actually think the Bible has some good allegorical material in it. What we object to is treating it as a factual, letter perfect historical text. Nowhere does Obama say he thinks the world was created in six literal days and is only 6,000 years old. THAT would upset me. Until then he's just one of the many Christians that you find anywhere else in this country.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:14 pm

So you don't disagree with the principles of the Bible, just the fact that people claim its literally true?

When Obama says I am a Christian, do you realize he's not saying I believe in the principles of the Bible? He is saying literally I believe there is a supreme being ala the Judeo Christian God. He is saying I believe God wrote (or at least directly inspired) the Bible.

Doesn't that make him bat shit crazy in your book?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:30 pm

kiryan wrote:So you don't disagree with the principles of the Bible, just the fact that people claim its literally true?

Like any book of philosophy there are good things and bad things in the Bible. Some were based on the ignorance of the time, some are timeless. Some do more harm than good at this point. The biggest problem with the Bible is that it has been used by various factions to control people based on belief.

When Obama says I am a Christian, do you realize he's not saying I believe in the principles of the Bible? He is saying literally I believe there is a supreme being ala the Judeo Christian God. He is saying I believe God wrote (or at least directly inspired) the Bible.

No, he's saying he's a Christian. Just because YOU believe Christianity means God wrong the Bible doesn't mean anyone else does. And yes I realize that he believes it was at least Divinely inspired. Again: We're not getting an atheist President any time soon, if ever, in this country.

BUT he's not claiming God tells him what to do.

Unlike Bush and Lady Gaga.

Doesn't that make him bat shit crazy in your book?

No, it makes him an average Christian. Thinking God is speaking to you directly is bat shit crazy.

torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:38 am

Actually, some of us liberals are real Christians and believe in the Bible and God's teachings. We're just smart enough to use it in our daily lives instead of blindly quoting it without truly understanding anything it says. You know, when Jesus taught to help the poor, cure the sick, and be a better person for all those who need it.....

How do you, as a supposed "Christian" Republican, justify killing off all the "evil" social programs to save your precious 3% Bush tax cuts? How do you justify killing thousands by refusing health care for those who actually need it? They seem to help people less fortunate than you. I doubt corporate executives fall into this category.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:39 pm

torkur wrote:How do you, as a supposed "Christian" Republican, justify killing off all the "evil" social programs to save your precious 3% Bush tax cuts? How do you justify killing thousands by refusing health care for those who actually need it? They seem to help people less fortunate than you. I doubt corporate executives fall into this category.

* Corruption
* Government Waste and Inefficiency
* Blatant Pandering for Votes
* Government is at best a necessary evil that should be limited and restricted.
* When the people find that they can vote themselves more money, the Republic is done for.

Nevermind the fact that people will still be refused health care due to waiting lists, lack of resources, and government cost savings measures.

* Half of the nation pays only 3% of Federal Income Taxes, this is an issue of fairness.

In short, the "caring" government is a liberal pipe dream cooked up by some elitists that want to centralize power so they can control more and more about you and your life. Congratulations on feeding the beast.

Fight the power - limit your government today.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 pm

Additionally, although the book of Romans (although, in the words of Paul and not Jesus, gee, I wonder who stuffed that book in the Bible at a much later date *cough* the romans *cough*) is pretty specific when it comes to paying taxes and respecting the government as the authority established upon earth by God, you'll note that we have a government by, of, and for the people. In which case, you should respect the people by not seizing by force from them unnecessarily to begin with.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:50 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:
torkur wrote:How do you, as a supposed "Christian" Republican, justify killing off all the "evil" social programs to save your precious 3% Bush tax cuts? How do you justify killing thousands by refusing health care for those who actually need it? They seem to help people less fortunate than you. I doubt corporate executives fall into this category.

* Corruption
* When the people find that they can vote themselves more money, the Republic is done for.

Nevermind the fact that people will still be refused health care due to waiting lists, lack of resources, and government cost savings measures.

* Half of the nation pays only 3% of Federal Income Taxes, this is an issue of fairness.

In short, the "caring" government is a liberal pipe dream cooked up by some elitists that want to centralize power so they can control more and more about you and your life. Congratulations on feeding the beast.

Fight the power - limit your government today.

* Corruption
- Corruption exists with or without attempting to help the common man. You think the Corporations really care about anything but more money and more power for themselves? Again, trying and failing beats letting entities just kill people to increase their bottom line.

- I agree there will always be waste and inefficiency. So if it isn't perfect you don't try?

- Gay marriage. 2nd Amendment talk "Taking our guns away". "Freedom Fries". Both sides equally are guilty on this unfortunately.

- That is one option, yes. You can either have no regulations and power and extremely low taxes or you can have safety net programs and higher taxes. Currently the Republicans want social programs and low taxes, which is why we have the deficit. If Republicans REALLY believed what they preached, they would have a bill to end Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid completely within 10 years......yet they don't because they know that the general populous is a Christian state (as they say over and over) and want to help the poor and downtrodden. Lining their friends pockets with the privatization of these programs isn't removing them, it's being greedy, plain and simple.

- Corporations?

- The Bible and Christianity have NOTHING to do with "fairness" and everything to do with the "right" thing. Read the Book of Job. This is also a perfect example of why all taxes should be increased to pay for the things people want, Republican and Democrat alike.

* In short, the "caring" government is a liberal pipe dream cooked up by some elitists that want to centralize power so they can control more and more about you and your life. Congratulations on feeding the beast.
- The Patriot Act? Repealing Abortion to stop my personal choice for/against? Gay Marriage Amendment? I also WANT laws that stop corporations from putting 5 year olds in factories, working them 60 hours a week, and having no recourse against the company when they get hurt or killed in unsafe working conditions. Such evil regulations I know. Congratulations on screwing over your family and friends to feed the bigger beast.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”