GPL

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Innova
Sojourner

GPL

Postby Innova » Mon Jul 01, 2002 8:26 pm

Has GPL'ing the code base ever been discussed? I'm sure that we can think of tons of reasons that this would be good/bad, and I don't want to start a war (why is it that whenever those words are said, a war starts?).

I am just wondering if the Forgers have discussed this, and what their thoughts, both positive and negative were.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jul 01, 2002 10:51 pm

What is GPL'ing?

------------------
-Yayaril
Innova
Sojourner

Postby Innova » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:07 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>What is GPL'ing?

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gnu Public License. Open sourcing the code.
Alaindril
Sojourner

Postby Alaindril » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:07 pm

To 'GPL' something means to release the source code under the GNU Public License. A good chunk of Unix utilities are released under it; it provides that you may modify the source however you wish so long as you retain a credit to the original author and do not charge for it.

------------------
Hope... is all we have.
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:23 am

Id say that this will never happen.. which is understandable.. we don't really want 50 differen sojourn clones around.. but if the staff decides they are done with the mud it would be cool if they didn't release it to everyone to atleast give it to a couple ppl who want to run it and they trust not to give it away or ruin it Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:06 pm

Don't wanna sound like a jerk... But whats make up sojourn is the zones and the playerbase. Not really any code. Or well you don't get this kind of code in a couple days...

But it doesn't really take that long to fix the code similar from most mud codebases if you know how to program. So putting it up for GPL wouldn't do much good...shrug

Most codebases today come with OLCs, script lanugages, quest systems etc etc. They just lack the zones and players of sojourn :P

Adding new spells like blur, haste, resurrection or any kind of damage spell takes less than 5 minutes if you know your way around a mud.

Unless you want a full blown sojourn clone (to what point?), it would be a much greater idea to use one of these codebases and start off fresh, make your own spells, your own classes and combat system etc.
Innova
Sojourner

Postby Innova » Tue Jul 02, 2002 4:11 pm

I just enjoy Sojourn, and think it would be fun to play with the code. I have played with other code bases, but they just don't feel as familiar as Sojourn.

But I do agree, the code base wouldn't be that great without the players/areas.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:42 pm

ahahahah, I doubt Sojourn code would ever be released under any circumstances these days.

------------------
Ilshad

"Your accomplishment is nothing compared to the glory that is Ilshadrial!!" Yayaril

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 02, 2002 8:27 pm

The idea of GPL doesn't work for Sojourn because Sojourn is not something we ever want more than One of. If the codebase is one that the makers Want to distribute to the masses like Diku or Circle, then the makers can take that path.

We chose the other path to keep Sojourn Unique. For Sojourn (and her derivatives) all material for it jealously guarded, protected under Copyright, and it's distribution is strickly forbidden.

However on that note, playing with open source mud code like Circle will give you a very good idea of how muds are coded, as the coding technology is similar in design. Many of Sojourn's off-shoots were based on Circle.

Regards,

Miax
Mishre
Sojourner

Postby Mishre » Tue Jul 02, 2002 10:15 pm

My mud used different parts from Merc2.2, Rom2.4, Envy, and Circle.. just my favorites from each.. its mostly merc Image so don't forget you can always mix and match things Image

------------------
Mishri }-Sentinel-{ Shades of Twilight

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”