facebook losing subscribers?

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

facebook losing subscribers?

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:34 pm

Basically it says Facebook has been losing subscribers in several countries, the US included. I'm finding it hard to believe (I do not facebook at all). IIRC teflor commited facebook suicide, but how many people really delete their profiles instead of just not using them anymore...

Furthermore, I really can't see why anyone would stop facebooking. I think its shallow and makes public way too much private information, but once you're in and connected... why would you voluntarily separate yourself? I could see my folks left myspace (to go to facebook), but I can't see anything that people are leaving facebook for. It doesn't make sense to me. I had a few friends "quit" facebooking because it became a job to play all their facebook games... but still they didn't "delete" their profiles. 6 million accounts is 3.8%, to lose 3.8% of your US subscribers in one month... what am I missing?

Perhaps the story is poorly researched.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/digitaltrends/2 ... 9rdHJhZg--
Corth
Sojourner

Re: facebook losing subscribers?

Postby Corth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:23 pm

I have to imagine that for every person who goes ahead and deletes their profile they must have multitudes that are creating new profiles.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:30 pm

The article indicates that it went from 155 million US profiles to 149 million. That appears to be a real, net loss... globally however, they add subscribers like crazy.

I'm just trying to understand how/why this could happen amongst US subscribers... the only conclusion I can come up with is the data is wrong. I just can't see it dropping off like that for no specific reason.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:53 pm

I think they are wrong.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:18 am

I wonder if it takes into account the number of spam facebook profiles that are created and deleted by facebook soon after. almost every week i get a 'friend' trying to add me, its usually a picture of a very hot female that PMs shortly after telling me to come to her website where she can give me a little show.

But i know a lot of people who NEED to delete thier facebook, farmville and mafia wars people were probably the worst of them.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:42 pm

Some are claiming its the onset of "facebook" fatigue coupled with reaching a "saturation" rate in the US. I just can't see fatigue setting in so rapidly to the tune of 4% of accounts in one month. I like your explanation better, a lot of deleted scam accounts, perhaps they just rolled out a new / more aggressive anti spam measure.

Perhaps it has somethign to do with their privacy issues in the news again... but still, 4% is so large.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”