US DOD spends $20B per year on air conditioning

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
Kindi
Sojourner

US DOD spends $20B per year on air conditioning

Postby Kindi » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:38 pm

"The amount the U.S. military spends annually on air conditioning in Iraq and Afghanistan: $20.2 billion.

That's more than NASA's budget. It's more than BP has paid so far for damage during the Gulf oil spill. It's what the G-8 has pledged to help foster new democracies in Egypt and Tunisia."

http://www.npr.org/2011/06/25/137414737 ... nditioning
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: US DOD spends $20B per year on air conditioning

Postby Kifle » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:17 am

War is not supposed to be uncomfortable...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Kindi
Sojourner

Postby Kindi » Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm

$20B / 150,000 soldiers in iraq and afghanistan is $130,000 per soldier per year. no wonder we can only afford to pay them $20k, the rest of their pay and benefits go into AC

tho seriously, this is the kind of thing i find offensive, with a much larger impact (3-4% of the DOD budget) than most of the rest of the stuff talked about here

but it's not a "political hot topic" so whatever
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:10 pm

I wonder... desert... sunlight. Could they power the A/C with solar panels?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:57 pm

I usually camp at state campgrounds but occasionally I go to privately run sites. The private campgrounds usually have more amenities - such as electricity and on site running water, and cost more as well. Once, at a private campground, I saw a tent with a window AC unit sticking out the side. The freaking guy went camping and brought along his AC! Couple of thoughts on this. First, it shows the type of waste that occurs when you are using someone else's resources. Second, I can't imagine that a tent provides very much insulation. It's cold air in and cold air out.

So here is what is likely happening. The army probably has all sorts of temporary structures that aren't particularly insulated, and as a result the cost of keeping those structures cool is astronomical. At the same time, because it's the taxpayer's money being spent, nobody really gives a shit.

Obviously this is not an acceptable situation. There has to be a more efficient way to keep the troops comfortable.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:13 pm

I think there's a slight difference between your average North American campground and the Afghanistan desert. And the tents are treated to make them more energy efficient. Not that it couldn't be improved according to the article...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh I'm sure you are right about that. But let me put it this way. If they had technology that could make a tent as efficient as a house which has insulation, siding, etc., then... houses wouldn't need all that insulation. A tent just simply cannot be made efficient enough to hold much cold air in a dessert climate. It would make the tent impractical as it would simply be too bulky.

On the other hand, we don't want to torture the troops either. I wonder if some other lower tech solutions might work. Humidifying a room can significantly cool it, for instance.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Corth wrote: dessert climate.

Mmmmmm.... dessert climate. :P

On the other hand, we don't want to torture the troops either. I wonder if some other lower tech solutions might work. Humidifying a room can significantly cool it, for instance.

Err... humidity actually tends to make it warmer. Well, it makes it warmer when it's warm anyway...

I was thinking though, that public or private the discussion probably went like this:

Planner A: Sir, we can spend $40 billion to make the tents really efficient before we deploy them
Project Leader: Are you kidding? The shareholders/taxpayers would lambaste me! Just ship them with the minimum of insulation

We absolutely suck at up-front costs. If it's more expensive in the long run, but the up front cost is smaller we'll do it. See: Credit Cards, Car Loans, Mortgages... etc.

This isn't because it's public money, it's because our culture is shortsighted and focused on the immediate.

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:33 am

Corth wrote:Oh I'm sure you are right about that. But let me put it this way. If they had technology that could make a tent as efficient as a house which has insulation, siding, etc., then... houses wouldn't need all that insulation. A tent just simply cannot be made efficient enough to hold much cold air in a dessert climate. It would make the tent impractical as it would simply be too bulky.

Actually, I do believe the technology exists. Trouble is that you would need to buy a lot more tents. The major advantage of a tent is that they are both mobile and temporary. It's a show to the local populace that we have no intention of staying (as we would if we built permanent structures). The other thing is that they can be moved, say, 50 feet to the left to accommodate extra vehicle storage.

Insulating a tent is as easy as bringing a drum of PU spray foam. You just spray the hell out of the tent until it's six inches of closed cell, non-breathable foam on all sides. It ruins the tent and destroys its mobility, but it's better insulated than the average standing home. You'd have to deal with the fact that it doesn't breathe, but it would stay cool with 3% of the air conditioning. When you're done with it, you can recycle the PU'd tent by just shredding the whole thing and throwing it back into another tent that is being PU'd.

"So Teflor, why aren't we doing this right now?"

I have no idea. I just e-mailed a bunch of Army folks to make the suggestion. Probably something to do with their aversion to synthetic materials due to how they burn or how they react to chemical and biological weapons. Or some other such nonsense.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:03 am

Right - as I said, properly insulating a tent would make it impractical as it would be too bulky to be used as a tent. Once you do that you can't fold it up and walk away with it. It would just be a structure that looks like a tent. But I think you are on to something. It is probably a hell of a lot cheaper to just make throwaway tents and insulate the hell out of them with spray foam.

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:43 am

but what about the impact on the environment!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:47 pm

kiryan wrote:but what about the impact on the environment!

Right, because all the bombs and missiles we're setting off over there are eco-friendly. :roll:

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:47 pm

Sarvis wrote:

Right, because all the bombs and missiles we're setting off over there are eco-friendly. :roll:

Used effectively, they reduce carbon footprint.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:47 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

Used effectively, they reduce carbon footprint.

Indeed. Also - they tend to mitigate urban sprawl. :)

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 pm

This is why we need to cut Medicare and not military funding. Our soldiers need air conditioning! Fuck old people and their medicine.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:16 pm

DON'T YOU SUPPORT THE TROOPS, COMRADE?
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Jul 03, 2011 6:11 pm

to tell you the truth, i think they can survive without air conditioning. our nation is so weak we have to provide air conditioning for soldiers and prisoners. at least its efficient in the prisons... really wtf. is being in the military a fucking vacation? With several associates in the military, I'd say yes.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:19 pm

It is until they end up dead or in a hospital. Soldiers are athletes that perform better with better facilities.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:43 am

kiryan wrote:to tell you the truth, i think they can survive without air conditioning. our nation is so weak we have to provide air conditioning for soldiers and prisoners. at least its efficient in the prisons... really wtf. is being in the military a fucking vacation? With several associates in the military, I'd say yes.

And the politician who attempts to run with that will commit political suicide.

Yes it does seem very extreme and im sure the government has set up a sub-committee to look into developing cheaper ways to deal with this (add another 3 Billion in development costs) than the production of the new space age tents (add another 15 billion in production costs) and you have yourself a new tent that requires only HALF the air conditioning!
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:55 pm

Space age was so 40 years ago. Get these tents some youtube and facebook.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:45 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:It is until they end up dead or in a hospital. Soldiers are athletes that perform better with better facilities.

That's true; however, given that the soldiers we're fighting would still have worse facilities than us even without air conditioning, we already have a huge gap in technological advantage, a training advantage, and a numerical advantage, I don't think spending 20B on such a slight advantage above what we already have truly makes a difference in the outcome of any war we are currently in.

The only disadvantage we have is terrain and fighting, sometimes, a decentralized enemy. Air conditioning doesn't really help with that.

I don't see any argument that justifies spending like that when there are countless better ways to spend that money back in the states.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Kifle wrote:
Teflor Lyorian wrote:It is until they end up dead or in a hospital. Soldiers are athletes that perform better with better facilities.

That's true; however, given that the soldiers we're fighting would still have worse facilities than us even without air conditioning, we already have a huge gap in technological advantage, a training advantage, and a numerical advantage, I don't think spending 20B on such a slight advantage above what we already have truly makes a difference in the outcome of any war we are currently in.

The only disadvantage we have is terrain and fighting, sometimes, a decentralized enemy. Air conditioning doesn't really help with that.

I don't see any argument that justifies spending like that when there are countless better ways to spend that money back in the states.

It's not a slight advantage. The most common casualties in desert environments are heat stroke/dehydration/other temperature related conditions and complications. (though possibly rivaled by automobile accidents)
Last edited by Teflor Lyorian on Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:13 pm

there is a bit of preparedness to consider... but im pretty sure the reason we have air conditioning out there is not 'preparedness' and rather one of comfort.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:34 pm

kiryan wrote:there is a bit of preparedness to consider... but im pretty sure the reason we have air conditioning out there is not 'preparedness' and rather one of comfort.

It's not so much perparedness as it is casualty prevention. Most casualties are non-hostile.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:55 pm

true...

Return to “Current Events & Politics”